The easiest way to email your members of CongressDonate Now
S.1647 - Assistance for Unemployed Workers Extension Act
A bill to provide for additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes.
Loading Bill Text
Rollover any line of text to comment and/or link to it.
Mr. REED (for himself, Mr. DURBIN, Mr. SCHUMER, Mrs. BOXER, Mr. LAUTENBERG, Mr. LEVIN, Ms. STABENOW, Mr. WHITEHOUSE, Mr. KERRY, Mr. MENENDEZ, Mr. CARDIN, Mr. BROWN, Mr. BEGICH, Mr. BURRIS, and Mr. FRANKEN) introduced the following bill; which was read twice and referred to the Committee on FinanceCommentsClose CommentsPermalink
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
SEC. 2. EXTENSION OF EMERGENCY UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION PROGRAM.
(a) In General- Section 4007 of the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 (
(b) Financing Provisions- Section 4004(e)(1) of such Act, as added by section 2001(b) of the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act (
SEC. 3. EXTENSION OF INCREASE IN UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION BENEFITS.
(b) Effective Date- The amendments made by this section shall take effect as if included in the enactment of the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act.CommentsClose CommentsPermalink
SEC. 4. THIRD-TIER BENEFITS.
(a) In General- Section 4002 of the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 (
‘(1) IN GENERAL- If, at the time that the amount added to an individual’s account under subsection (c)(1) (in this subsection referred to as ‘additional emergency unemployment compensation’) is exhausted or at any time thereafter, such individual’s State is in an extended benefit period (as determined under paragraph (2)), such account shall be further augmented by an amount (in this subsection referred to as ‘further additional emergency unemployment compensation’) equal to the lesser of--CommentsClose CommentsPermalink
‘(A) 50 percent of the total amount of regular compensation (including dependents’ allowances) payable to the individual during the individual’s benefit year under the State law; orCommentsClose CommentsPermalink
‘(3) COORDINATION RULE- Notwithstanding an election under section 4001(e) by a State to provide for the payment of emergency unemployment compensation prior to extended compensation, such State may pay extended compensation to an otherwise eligible individual prior to any further additional emergency unemployment compensation, if such individual claimed extended compensation for at least 1 week of unemployment after the exhaustion of additional emergency unemployment compensation.CommentsClose CommentsPermalink
(1) IN GENERAL- Subject to paragraph (2), the amendments made by this section shall take effect as if included in the enactment of the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008.CommentsClose CommentsPermalink
(2) ADDITIONAL BENEFITS- In applying the amendments made by this section, any additional emergency unemployment compensation made payable by such amendment (which would not otherwise have been payable if such amendment had not been enacted) shall be payable only with respect to any week of unemployment beginning on or after the date of the enactment of this Act.CommentsClose CommentsPermalink
SEC. 5. EXTENSION OF FULL FEDERAL FUNDING OF EXTENDED UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION FOR A LIMITED PERIOD.
(b) Extension of Temporary Federal Matching for the First Week of Extended Benefits for States With No Waiting Week- Section 5 of the Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 (
(1) IN GENERAL- The amendments made by subsection (a) shall take effect as if included in the enactment of the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act.CommentsClose CommentsPermalink
SEC. 6. ADDITIONAL EXTENDED UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS UNDER THE RAILROAD UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE ACT.
(a) Benefits- Section 2(c)(2)(D) of the Railroad Unemployment Insurance Act, as added by section 2006 of the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act (
(2) by adding at the end of clause (iv) the following: ‘In addition to the amount appropriated by the preceding sentence, out of any funds in the Treasury not otherwise appropriated, there are appropriated $175,000,000 to cover the cost of additional extended unemployment benefits provided under this subparagraph, to remain available until expended.’.CommentsClose CommentsPermalink
(b) Administrative Expenses- Section 2006(b) of the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act (
(c) Effective Date- The amendments made by this section shall take effect as if included in the enactment of the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act.CommentsClose CommentsPermalink
Vote on This Bill
- “By the time they get off their ass and back to work and vote our homes w...” canalguyopen
- “We as American citizens want to work and support ourselves so that we ma...” VLeichsenring