- Today: 2
Past Seven Days: 9
- All-Time: 5,584
This bill would repeal an exemption from federal antitrust laws that the health insurance industry has enjoyed since 1945.
OpenCongress bill summaries are written by OpenCongress editors and are entirely independent of Congress and the federal government. For the summary provided by Congress itself, via the Congressional Research Service, see the "Official Summary" below.
9/17/2009--Introduced.Health Insurance Industry Antitrust Enforcement Act of 2009 - Declares that nothing in the McCarran-Ferguson Act shall be construed to permit health insurance issuers or issuers of medical malpractice insurance to engage in any form of price fixing, bid rigging, or ma...Read the Rest
Organizations Supporting S.1681
- Consumer Federation of America
- Automotive Service Association
- American Hospital Association
- American Dental Association
- Center for Justice and Democracy
- Public Citizen
- ...and 4 more.
Organizations Opposing S.1681
- Property Casualty Insurers Association of America
- America's Health Insurance Plans
- Professional Insurance Agents
- American Academy of Actuaries
- California Orthopedic Association
- Physician Insurers Association of America
- ...and 1 more.
See the money trail
behind this bill for more info on how campaign contributions may be influencing senators' and representatives' votes.