S.1699 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009

A bill to amend the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary availability of certain additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (2)

• Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Official: A bill to amend the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary availability of certain additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.

• firstcoyote 10/27/2009 10:16am

I emailed both the Democrats and the Republicans for my state. I emphasized the disastrous financial impact non-passage of this bill or a significant delay of its passage would have on my situation. I also expressed concern for the folks I see here and out on the streets who have already run out of benefits. I exhaust completely next week, but I really do feel for people who have not had any income in months.

• cantfindajob 10/27/2009 10:18am

how nice it must be to be a failing bank or auto company…billions of bailout money no problem..but when it comes to a much smaller dollar amount to extend unemployment to the millions of out of work citizens its all nickle and diming BS by these employees of the citizens…the bill that needs to be passed is an emergency extension for 52 weeks not 8,13,20 or whatever the latest number is and then the congress can focus on figuring out how to get the employment base back in this country and if the jobs don’t return within those 52 weeks then another extension…its completely ludicrous when one job opens up and hundreds if not thousands apply for it…throw all these bums out next election!! damn good thing I got all those loans to get an advanced degree and now have to pay those loans with unemployment…since all the jobs have disappeared..

• donnyshaw 10/27/2009 10:20am

Hi All, Donny here from OpenCongress. I’m going to be live-blogging this vote at the OpenCongress blog ::

I hope you’ll all join me in the comments there to help capture the key quotes and other important info. The debate officially begins at 5:30 pm ET, but there may be a few floor speeches on the issue before then.

Jans1116 10/27/2009 10:22am

I will be there Donny! Thanks an awful lot!!!

dlh 10/27/2009 10:23am

Thanks Donny.. See you there!!

dlh 10/27/2009 10:24am

Here’s hoping they know something we don’t!! ;)

JMatzelle57 10/27/2009 10:24am

ill be back around 520

• Bassmaster2009 10/27/2009 10:22am

ty Donny

• NYER566 10/27/2009 10:34am

Donny i will be there as well!

• hothaddad 10/27/2009 10:40am

I should be ale to get on this live blog from tne home page of OC,right? My laptop for what ever reason cannot find the web address,

• jelee 10/27/2009 10:41am

Hey, I’ll be there Donny, Thanks for the invite!

• Vowel_Movement 10/27/2009 10:41am

It is well into October and well past bailing, drying and storing time..Congress, both loads of em are still trying to make HAY out of this particular issue. As it lays there, unrolled and unbailed, very well dried out and not put up and away they will find that it is going to rain dis-satisfied unemployed voters and it will ruin their whole security blanket if they don’t serioulsy get it done and get it on the floor for a vote. GThen again, in their world, they don’t give a horse pattuty about the unemployed pawns in this game of puff and bluster.

• NYER566 10/27/2009 10:43am

http://users.marshall.edu/~will2/cspan/cspan2w.html link for c span 2

• leo55262 10/27/2009 11:01am

I have a question sorry if it has been answered already I apologize. Why is it taking place at 5:30? There has been so much wasted time since they got back from lunch I don’t get why they are waiting…. ? Thanks

mike40 10/27/2009 11:03am

Why they delay nobody knows..but they did agree yesterday to have it at 5:30PM today.

leo55262 10/27/2009 11:07am

great they want to go home at 6 ish that doesn’t leave much time….If I had a dollar for every 5 minutes they waste I wouldn’t need this exrension! geeezzzzee

FrankDiscussion 10/27/2009 11:08am

That’s the scheduled time for the cloture vote. It DOES give the republicans a chance to back down and let the thing just get voted in through unanimous consent. If they can be unanimous and there are no objections. Otherwise the democrats will start the vote on the cloture which will FORCE the bill to the floor for debate.
    The republicans have been objecting and blocking the bill from coming to the floor officially, but after the vote they can’t do that. Then they have to debate the bill itself and hopefully quickly vote on it. If the republicans try to drag out the debate and filibuster, the democrats can (and will likely) make a motion for cloture on the BILL at that point they wait 30 hors and vote on the bill.

leo55262 10/27/2009 11:09am

Thanks! (:

JMatzelle57 10/27/2009 11:10am

Durbin!! maybe we get some unemployment

FrankDiscussion 10/27/2009 11:11am

The republicans will eventually vote for the bill. They know to vote NO would be political suicide. That’s why they’ve been trying every tactic possible to slow the bill down and keep it from being voted on.
    This bill will pass. It’s just slower than molasses due to all the procedural tricks being pulled. But it will probably pass by the end of the week, hopefully sooner.

• ohionoeb 10/27/2009 11:08am

Re: why they are waiting

Maybe they are still working out the agreements on the Admendments

Democrats Agree to Extend Home-Buyer Tax Credit: Dodd
    Tuesday, 27 Oct 2009 | 3:31 PM ET

Google :
    cnbc Democrats Agree to Extend Home-Buyer Tax Credit: Dodd

• WAstateVETERAN 10/27/2009 11:15am

I’m back from beating the pavement again. Shucks, a tank of gasoline gone and everybody told me they don’t have any openings. I am used to getting hired on the spot, after asking some key questions about a commercial building project boom, and HIRED!WTF?

HopefromCA 10/27/2009 11:18am

WAstateVETERAN
    What kind of work do you do?

• shaunreekstin 10/27/2009 11:16am

Where is my main blogger/law student Taylor today?…lol hello everyone the countdown has begun, I am interested to see what comes about today. Worst comes to worst I am ready for action!!!!

Taylor09 10/27/2009 11:20am

I’m here. I need to do some house work. I’ll be back later to watch the process unfold…

JMatzelle57 10/27/2009 11:21am

HE CALLED THEM OUT!!! HE TOLD THEM TO COME TO FLOOR!!

leo55262 10/27/2009 11:28am

and they did come to the floor but not one word about unemployment AGAIN1 Are these repubs hard of hearing???

• WAstateVETERAN 10/27/2009 11:19am

Durbin on now, LIVE>
    HE is reading our letters!
    God bless senator Dick Durbin.

• WAstateVETERAN 10/27/2009 11:19am

woops c-span 2 live now

• NYER566 10/27/2009 11:23am

http://www.opencongress.org/articles/view/1324-Unemployment-Extension-Vote-Live-Blog C Span live blot website

Send Your Senator a Letter