S.1699 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009

A bill to amend the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary availability of certain additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (2)

• Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Official: A bill to amend the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary availability of certain additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.

• Filtered Comment [ show ]

davidak 07/21/2010 4:11pm

talked to her office today…staffer said she will pass the word for 99ers…..anyone have a link on the topic? of the ed show?

VLeichsenring 07/21/2010 6:07pm

Sen Stabenow told him (Ed) that she is working on something for the 99ers
    Watch Audio/Video Archive:
    Senate GOP holds up benefits extension

Sher1 07/22/2010 2:38pm

@davidak: Thanks for calling! I just go home from my training program but didn’t see any notes on anyone calling except yours! I will call tomorrow per early time off.

Filtered Comment [ show ]

Sher1 07/23/2010 1:22pm

@davidak: LOL LOL! Good for you! This is serious business now, no more B.S. from these Senators or their Staffers. They already have me in their system and I don’t give a damn because this is MY country and to be treated like some Leper because we loss our job in a Recession with neither house passing a JOBS BILL in 2009 or 2010, is despicable to me and MILLIONS of other but we have to get LOUD and keep the MEDIA involved too.

nancym 07/23/2010 5:04pm

Ha-ha! I’ll have to try that approach next time I call.

• Filtered Comment [ show ]

• Jans1116 07/22/2010 2:25am

Glad to see that the short timers getting checks but hoping the fight for the long term is soon no longer a fight. I did see the interviews and saw the media is addressing this issue. Nancy, the oddest thing happened. My employer that cut our department is trying to recruit me now. So odd. Very tempting since it is decent hours.

nancym 07/22/2010 5:20am

Sounds promising. Do you think it might be related to the fact that you kept up with classes and then continued with some work in the field?

I am seeing a bit of an uptick in listings for jobs I can relate to in recent weeks, I think maybe in anticipation of the usual time that people hire, at least in many fields, around the end of summer/beginning of fall.

• sassysally50 07/22/2010 3:17am

Need roofers for private contractor. Must be able to climb and handle hot weather and heights. Must be able to work at a good steady pace… $9 an hour

Roofers for $9.00..wages have gone down alot since the recession started ..geez!!!

nancym 07/22/2010 5:21am

Honestly, without sarcasm, I didn’t think any Americans or legal immigrants were ever hired for roofing anymore!

Kickthebumsout 07/22/2010 9:25am

LOL, how do you think roofs get put on houses?…that is cheap evan for oHIo.

nancym 07/22/2010 10:23am

My point was that the only people I ever see doing that kind of work any more are illegal Mexicans!

• sassysally50 07/22/2010 3:41am

Want a job? Better pay your bills

Employers are using credit checks more frequently to screen job applicants, though consumer groups are pushing for laws to ban the practice

Google: cnn money Job seekers’ latest hurdle: Credit checks – Jul. 22, 2010

This leaves the 99ers out in the cold .. Not fair at all!!!!!!!

Kickthebumsout 07/23/2010 6:12am

ohhhhh i see. around hear illegals work in the factorys and americans look for work such as puttin roofs on. I got about 20 of them across the street livin in a duplex …they got an airconditioner sticken out of a broken window with an extension cord commin down the front porch roof an in the front door. be interestin to see how long untill a fire.

• WAstateVETERAN 07/22/2010 3:45am

After two years of sitting on the union books finally, they are sending me on a job. There is 90% of all others waiting behind me for a job. So, I start this morning. Wish me luck. The last short construction job lasted 1 day. The boss, yeld and screamed and cussed. He obviously was replacing people every day, and knows someone else will be looking for the spot day after day. That is abuse, and it still makes me nervous when I think about it. I hope not all these employers are that way, with the “you’re easily replaced” attitude.

• kckcontarino6 07/22/2010 9:24am

I just watched a clip from the Ed Schultz show. He reported that someone in Senator Stabenow’s office told him that she was working on something for the 99ers!! Rep. Jim McDermott told Ed that if what Senator Stabenow was working on..makes it to the house,that the house WILL pass it!

• Filtered Comment [ show ]

sheaffer67 07/22/2010 10:32am

I just watched it. here is the link.

Filtered Comment [ show ]

• nancym 07/22/2010 12:31pm

CA people, a question: Is the FED-ED the same as EB or not? I always thought it was, but some guy on GiveUsOurMoney.org just posted a message he got from California’s agency saying that California’s unemployment rate had to be at a certain level in order for EDD to continue paying FED-ED after last the last cutoff on June 6.

Huh?? How high does it have to be, and is this right, or from some clueless employee?

Obviously this doesn’t affect me, or probably any 99ers on this board, but I’m just curious now, and somewhat flabberghasted.

MrsChang 07/22/2010 2:08pm

Nancy,

From the start they referred to the federal extension as FED-ED, not EB. Here’s what the EDD says about collecting FED-ED:

EDD stands ready to respond quickly to the reauthorization of extension benefits. About 145,000 of our customers affected are those who were collecting on the last extension claims called the FED-ED extension in California.

• EDD has been advising these customers to continue submitting completed continued claim forms in the event Congress took further action on the extensions. For those who have done so, EDD should be able to start issuing checks to eligible claimants by next week.
    • For those who have not submitted claim forms, EDD will be issuing such forms next week so eligible claimants can certify for further FED-ED benefits.
    nancym 07/23/2010 5:03pm

Thanks for the clarificatio, MrsChang and VLeichs.

VLeichsenring 07/22/2010 2:21pm

• Abaratarrr 07/22/2010 3:38pm

there will never be a tier 5 as long as the democrats believe that if they do nothing that the republicans will take the blame.

This is not a democrat vs republican thing, if the democrats were on your side they would have proposed a tier 5

The dems and republicans are on the same side we are on the other.

A 5th tier is desperately needed and it has to come from the democrats who are ignoring us because they think we will blame the republicans for their inaction

Marcy 07/22/2010 6:08pm

I agree. Any correspondence from politicians hve received in return a question about their efforts for the long term unemployed and tier 5, not just the extensions until November.

This is the first time since my unemployment began that I feel so dispirited.

• HopefromCA 07/22/2010 7:18pm

The Geography of a Recession

• Abaratarrr 07/23/2010 12:56am

I know I am preaching to the choir on this one but thought some of you might find it interesting in regards to jobs Americans won’t do. In Colorado business’s are required to advertise jobs locally before they can hire from other countries, it worked, not a single visa needed to be issued in Colorado
    for farm workers.
    “In early spring when farmers needed workers in the field planting, we had no need for H2A workers to come to Colorado and work the crops,” Thoennes said.

Under the H2A agreement, workers from foreign countries are allowed to fill job needs that residents don’t. This year, residents accepted the work, despite its difficult demands. “In the past it was a given that Americans weren’t willing to do that backbreaking work. It’s sunup to sundown, sometimes in temperatures over 100 degrees. In a weak economy like this, workers have been willing to take jobs they normally wouldn’t.”

lukester 07/23/2010 4:35am

Does this passage pay an additional 7 weeks(EB) for us?

The President has signed into law an extension of emergency unemployment benefits. We are waiting for further information from the U.S. Department of Labor. Keep requesting payment on CUBLine Online or CUBLine. Visit the Emergency Unemployment Compensation Web page for the latest news.

Send Your Senator a Letter