S.1699 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009

A bill to amend the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary availability of certain additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (2)

• Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Official: A bill to amend the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary availability of certain additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.

Abaratarrr 07/23/2010 9:35am

Yes Colorado gets another 7 weeks of EB, from what I read yesterday it looks like we are going to have to wait at least 3-4 weeks though.

I wish they would provide some info on how the work search vouchers are going to work being that it looks like everyone should just get one 7 week check.

lukester 07/23/2010 11:52am

Thanks for the update.

Does this apply to anyone who ran out of benefits before June?
    I ran out in February.

Abaratarrr 07/23/2010 12:17pm

Yes, everyone that qualified for the last 86 weeks is now eligible for the next 7 weeks.

The website says to keep making your claims every two weeks, if you have not been making your claim you might want to call.

The part i am not sure about is if we are all going to get one 7 week check since we will have qualified over 7 weeks ago by the time they pay or if we are going to have to go to those meetings every two weeks and turn in our job searches before each check like we did last time.

They are not answering their phones today.

The state seems confused about the issue

Abaratarrr 07/23/2010 12:18pm

“Anyone on unemployment who has run out of regular benefits (the first 26 weeks) or is currently on extended weeks of benefits (Tier I or Tier II) will be eligible for additional weeks of benefits. In addition, for those on Tier 3, there is the potential to receive State Extended Benefits which will provide more weeks of benefits.

Benefits will be retroactive to June 6. Claimants will be notified with a notice in the mail that provides the amount of extended benefits available to them."

Filtered Comment [ show ]

Abaratarrr 07/23/2010 12:42pm

I was speaking only of Colorado getting 7 more weeks, Colorado’s TUR was not high enough trigger on for the last 7 weeks of EB till may 2010. we never received the full 20. The trigger is 8% I’m sure Florida was way above that last year so you probably already received the 7 weeks that Colorado is now going to get.

Filtered Comment [ show ]

Abaratarrr 07/23/2010 12:35pm

from what i have read about florida it makes it seem retroactive
    “Crist’s extension is retroactive to June 2 and expires on Dec. 4. If there is another extension of federal funding for unemployment benefits, the matter will have to be taken up again by the governor or Legislature.

State-extended benefits are the last leg of the maximum 99 weeks of unemployment compensation."

but i found this in vermont
    Q. I returned to work. Can I receive retroactive Extended Benefits?
    A. No, the Extended Benefits Program does not pay retroactively.
    and a similar answer in RI

Filtered Comment [ show ]

Abaratarrr 07/23/2010 12:45pm

THIS IS FOR COLORADO ONLY

i am sorry if i confused people and provided false hope or expectations.

Filtered Comment [ show ]

• Marcy 07/23/2010 7:01am

I know everyone must have seen this on tv or read it already, but I am particularly heartened by the last paragraph!

“The program is being renewed through the end of November. The White House signaled earlier this week that another extension may be sought if the jobless rate remains high, as many expect”

• kckcontarino6 07/23/2010 8:17am

I’m sure everyone by now knows that Ed Schultz reported that Senator Stabenow is working on something that will help the 99ers? Well,there was also an article in yesterday’s examiner that wanted to “clarify” Ed Schultz’s comments…basically it said that Senator Stabenow never really said that! I was sooooo upset! I had been so hopeful when I saw the Ed show. Anyway,I decided to call Senator Stabenow’s DC office and ask if she was in fact working on legislation that will help 99ers by creating a tier 5. That’s exactly how I worded it to the staffer I had on the phone…..she said,“yes!” Senator Stabenow IS working on legislation that will help 99ers and create a fifth tier!!! I then asked if it was possible that it would make it out of the house and senate BEFORE the break? And she said,“I can’t promise that….but that our goal!”

• Abaratarrr 07/23/2010 9:36am

Yo, Florida biochis!

I hope this is what ya’ll have been hoping for. Not sure though I have not been following the situation closely.

“An executive order issued today by Gov. Charlie Crist will prevent thousands of Floridians from a delay in receiving unemployment compensation.”

nancym 07/23/2010 5:24pm

Yup, that’s the big news of the day for about 250,000 Floridians, according to AWI website. I.e., the legislature’s blockage of accepting the federal money for 100% funding of EB if it were enacted along with EUC extensions, was circumvented today by Crist’s executive order, allowing that number of people the possibility of continuing their formerly truncated EB claims that ended June 5, or allowing those who run out of the tiers before Nov 30 AND who never collected the full 20 weeks (or whatever the personal calculation of benefit weeks was) after tier exhaustion.

That’s in addition to the 900,000 helped by the dates extension for the Tiers. I don’t think they meant that many people were actually cut off from funds until the bill passed, but many would be helped further as soon as their tiers ran out.

nancym 07/23/2010 5:32pm

So the simple version is this:

No Tier V, here or anywhere, yet.

Tiers flow as usual until Nov 30 next eligibility challenge (program payouts go until April 2011 once you’re in a tier)

EB can again be claimed by those who
    a) never got it before
    b) those who never got ALL of it.

Cutoffs for the Tiers end when a tier ends for an individual. Cutoffs for EB end when the weeks are exhausted or when the program cutoff date ends, in this case on Nov 30.

For example, the people who started their EB last fall but then had those weeks subtracted from their tiers(!), leaving them with an uncollectible account balance. Some of those people got those weeks in early 2010 with the state’s short extension, and then a few more got them with the 2nd state extension that ended June 5. For those who never got all of their alloted EB weeks before that June cutoff, mainly because they were still collecting the tiers, they can still collect any remaining EB weeks with Crist’s new action.

• Abaratarrr 07/23/2010 11:12am

Does anyone know of any senators or congressmen other then sherrod brown and tom coburn that have indicated that they support a 5th tier of unemployment benefits. I am going to start making a note in in all of the congressmens open congress profiles as to how they stand on a tier 5

• sassysally50 07/23/2010 11:49am

For Growing Ranks of 99ers, No Help Coming:Unemployment Extension Won’t Help Those Who Have Exhausted Benefits

“The House is not looking at a fifth tier of benefits, instead reviewing public works programs and other ways to subsidize job creation. Shelleby said the expansion of the TANF Emergency Contingency Fund might be one route forward. “That was put in place after the recession hit to help states, basically to aid them in subsidizing jobs,” he said.

The Goverments plan for us is to move us into TANF, which is WELFARE and I believe if you are single it is around $200 a month. And don’t even get me started on HUD.

• Filtered Comment [ show ]

• Filtered Comment [ show ]

• Sher1 07/23/2010 1:17pm

Saw this on another website and its a NEW site strictly for the 99ers gettin a TIER V to Survive or added weeks to TIER IV! www.unemployedworkersactiongroup.com EVERYONE PLEASE JOIN! We are preparing activities ON 7/26/10. This is possible but it will have to be FOUGHT for as we already know.

nancym 07/23/2010 5:35pm

@Sher1—I know you said you left the GiveUs site, but just an FYI—I was on there the last couple of days (lots of Florida news especially lately!) and I really do see a great number of people, including OT himself vowing to continue the fight for the 99ers, and admitting they will probably be 99ers themselves not that far in the future. It appears to be a real campaign for Tier V. So the more sites the better! 1100 members there now.

Sher1 07/24/2010 4:53am

@nancym: No I didn’t cancel my membership, after posting my comments I got positive feedback and changed my mind. I also am involved in that NEW website for the 99ers www.unemployedworkersactiongroup.com What I just found out of Paladinette’s involvement with her paid links and recycled articles and now they have her as a link for purchasing Tee-Shirts. I’m just contemplating getting out of all these websites and doing what I’ve been doing since before HR 3548 became a Bill because its all a racket to make a few pennies or a few dollars and I don’t appreciate the deception of not being truthful. You’re a class-act so whats your take?

nancym 07/24/2010 11:23am

Glad to hear you’re still on GUOM. The site can be annoying or inspiring, depending on the day. I had to remind myself of just what this OC site went through, or at least the cluster of folks who tended to stay with this group from last year’s people who had to cut their teeth on every single new legislative effort for the tiers. I recall days when I was just so disgusted with the pettiness, rudeness, bickering and everything imaginable, that I just couldn’t be bothered. But it was a new site, or at least a new group on the forum, and it took months to “educate” the group about how helpful a more civilized forum could be, months to chase away or get the worst trolls banned, and finally it was a smaller group, but a more reliable place to go with familiar names or aliases that you could judge what was said by the source.

nancym 07/24/2010 11:23am

2) GUOM is like a baby website now, all kinds of panicked people who probably don’t even yet believe they might not have a job in 6 months, don’t understand the process for benefits or laws, and most have not even bothered to find out about the legislative blockade because they never HAD to until recently. But there does seem to be a dawning realization that we’re all in this together, and it might be a good tool for a Tier V as well as a November election planner.

And I will check out that new site as well, thanks.

Sher1 07/25/2010 4:06am

@nancym: BUSY LADY with all the replies,LOL! Yeah on the links paid & other-wise, just expressing my perspective on it all, its nothing wrong with making a dollar or a nickel BUT my resentment came from not telling the unemployed about the paid links and the petitions. I felt the recycled articles and re-post of petitions was to keep the $ coming in. NOW! GUOM is a new site that is moving with over 1200 members, you went thru what I went through and we both held on BUT it is different and a bit radical but I said maybe thats what we need i.e. a WAKE-UP call to mass for the 99ers and get this LONG overdue TIER V to SURVIVE! I must say that OT is certainly different!!! LOL.

MrsChang 07/25/2010 6:48am

About Paladinette’s less-than-one-cent per click for her articles, she has discussed this at length in her radio show that airs on Fridays at noon PST. She has also stated that the t-shirt link does not make her a single dime. Just to clarify some stuff, so we can all keep up the cooperation.

I rather enjoy listening to the radio show. She exudes a lot of energy about the cause and it keeps me from feeling kinda low about these uncaring rich who want to run us off the road. It would be just the thing for them if we get into disagreements, because it would distract us from our goal. They would be only too happy if they saw the poor fighting for scraps (instead of fighting them for what is our due).

Sher1 07/25/2010 8:22am

!Mrs.Chang. I haven’t been distracted from the task at hand since this entire unemployment issue and fight began last year before there was a HR 3548, I have also appreciated and admired Paladinette’s efforts before she even got her blogtalk show & do replay it later on Friday nights or over the weekends and haven’t missed one show that I can recall.Its the principle in the heat of this fight several weeks ago that Paladinette was not upfront about receiving payments (regardless of amount) every time a person clicks onto her links and double for the ads and to me thats wrong because of the issue at hand i.e. Unemployment where no one can afford a pot to pee in or a window to throw it out of!. The website looks promising so I went to check out the Tee-Shirt purchase, click on the link and here’s Paladinette link once again, I know she gets paid for the HITS to her links but not to the Tee-Shirt ads in itself. Someone had posted about the Tee-Shirts made in Honduras and not the USA.

Sher1 07/25/2010 8:27am

@Mrs.Chang PART 2: I personally am not concerned about the T-Shirts not made in the USA. I will continue to fight for a TIER V for the 99ers but certainly will not any 1 person to distract me. Thanks!

MrsChang 07/25/2010 9:05am

About the payment-per-click issue, I knew from Paladinette’s messages that she would be paid that way. That’s the way many writers/bloggers get paid. She talked about it even before she started. But that’s water under the bridge and should not be an issue.

Your untiring efforts are appreciated, Sher1. Thanks for all you do.

Send Your Senator a Letter