S.1699 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009

A bill to amend the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary availability of certain additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (2)

• Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Official: A bill to amend the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary availability of certain additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.

nancym 09/25/2009 7:31am

Understand the PROCESS—this is a duplicate bill in the Senate, that’s the way it’s done. They don’t use the same “stationery” for a Senate bill. There are always separate Senate and House bills. The fact that these bills are identical (as far as I’ve noticed so far) is a good thing, making the need for conference committee haggling and going back to the House unnecessary. But understand that this is where they can propose amendments that might include other states.

DannyDog 09/25/2009 4:57am

Thanks for response … and good luck to you.

nancym 09/25/2009 7:28am

DannyDog, I think I replied to your similar post over on 3548, but it’s probably too hard to find in all those recent pages now. But JM is right, EUC doesn’t require work searches. But here in FL we are expected to keep good records of our work searches anyway, in case of any random audit.

Also, whether PA decides to continue using mail-in claims (with no work search) is up to them, probably unlikely, but you never know.

loriconfere 10/20/2009 1:39pm

they told me at the pa office that since it will be a federal extension it will be online/phone this time. it would be active from the sun after it is passed i think.

• goingbroke 09/25/2009 4:44am

People are out of money NOW! why the huge delay on a bill that was meant to bring relief to people that are unable to find employment due to no fault of their own? my last check was at the 1st week of September and now my rent is due again… I’m not lazy and spent the time while I was unemployed getting a degree in electronics and computer technology. I was seeking employment while in school and am raising 3 young children. I had two interviews this week and still no job. When and if I get one of the jobs, I will still have no money for gas, insurance, rent, and bills. just vote on the dam bill…..PEOPLE NEED IT RIGHT NOW NOT NEXT MONTH!!!!

• NoGoodOnesLeft 09/25/2009 4:46am

The Republicans in MA are contesting the Governor appointing a Democrat Senator to replace Kennedy. I know the Republicans are fighting it because it gives the Democrats a crucial vote (for the healthcare and for the unemployment extension) and I think they should just do away with parties but since Kennedy was a Democrat, shouldn’t they replace him with a Democrat?

Danzick1 09/25/2009 4:55am

The people may vote in a Republican when they have the chance to vote. Who knows? The Republicans are just angry that a Democratic Governor appointed a interim Democratic Senator during one of the most crucial votes of the year. Senator Kennedy looking out for his voters one last time!

NoGoodOnesLeft 09/25/2009 4:58am

Danzick, I responded to you yesterday but I think it was too late for you to see it. If your balance says 0 then it probably is 0 because mine still has 2 weeks left in it. I started unemployment the first week of Jan 2008, though, which was earlier than you so I don’t understand why yours is gone. I looked back and I started EB the week of 5/17 to 5/23. If you started then, too, then you should still have something left.

Danzick1 09/25/2009 5:20am

How many weeks have you collected so far? Did you have any weeks where you did not collect? And how many? Sorry.. You don’t have to answer, guess I am hoping for a hail mary pass?

NoGoodOnesLeft 09/25/2009 5:30am

I have had 18 of EB, this is my 19th week. I had 2 times where I didn’t collect – 1 was after the 1st extension expired and we were waiting for them to pass 6787 which was about this time last year. The 2nd time was I think part of Jan and Feb when we hadn’t triggered on to Tier 2 of 6787 yet.

NoGoodOnesLeft 09/25/2009 5:32am

I have qualified for every extension as soon as it was passed or MA became eligible.

nancym 09/25/2009 7:39am

NGOL—Correct me if I’m wrong about an MA matter, but my understanding of the controversy is that MA previously passed a law that very specifically required a general election (I think to block an automatic Republican appt, I don’t remember exactly). The USUAL way is for the gov to appoint his own party until the term ends for that Senator. So MA went back and specifically changed that law to allow the Dem gov to appoint someone right away.

I’m personally and selfishly glad they did that to retain 60 in the Senate, but I do understand the uproar about it and why the Republicans would call foul.

NoGoodOnesLeft 09/25/2009 7:42am

There is a provision that allows the Governor to call it an emergency and asppoint a temporary replacement. That is what he did and the Republicans are contesting that it is an emergency.

NoGoodOnesLeft 09/25/2009 7:44am

The nation probably considers it an emergency – to have 2 Senators from every state to vote regarding the healthcare bill – but MA already has the required healthcare stuff so…if that means anything?

nancym 09/25/2009 7:59am

Thanks for the clarification. I personally do consider it an emergency!

NoGoodOnesLeft 09/25/2009 8:11am

You can bet that if he had appointed a Republican replacement they wouldn’t be contesting it!

• unemployed2007 09/25/2009 4:57am

Keep calling Harry Reid’s office. 202-224-4545 hit Option 1 to talk to an aide, hit option 2 to leave a message.

Aide told me not on schedule today(duh) and to check back next week.

Keep calling and faxing. Here is the info to fax for free using NELP’s standard email or write your own. Just copy and paste. It’s simple to use.

unemployed2007 09/25/2009 4:58am

Sorry, correction – Harry Reid’s number is 202-224-3542!!

• ohionoeb 09/25/2009 5:03am

Nevada was at 13.2% in August

And Senate Reid hasn’t brought HR3548 to the floor yet ..to be voted on?

No wonder… Nevada is going to vote him out.. in the election next yesr in 2010..

FrankDiscussion 10/15/2009 12:13pm

Sigh. Once again, due to the cloture caused by Sen. Coburn’s filibuster attempt, nobody can vote on anything until after 6:17 EST… THEN they have to vote on Coburn’s bill, and then and only then the ball will be in Reid’s court.
    Rules of the Senate I’m afraid.

nancym 10/15/2009 12:25pm

Please, those who keep thinking something will be happening at 6:17—stop! THAT bill’s cloture was voted away and THAT bill was PASSED today, we all watched it here. That part is over! Anything can happen now, but it doesn’t look too good for tonight. The vague word I got from Reid’s office was that they were uncertain whether Reid was still going to be able to get it thru on another bid for unanimous consent, or if it would have to go through regular channels. The recent news articles coming out (not many) seem to point to next week, unfortunately. (I hope not.)

• mjh 09/25/2009 5:05am

Thinking it probably will unfortunately be until next Thursday before the senate votes on this, just being realistic on how it seems things operate time wise as of recent weeks. At least we are headed in right direction step wise with common sense on this bill to some degree with ALL states and the other two factors (extended dates & addit. wk’s). Hang in there for those closely following this bill.

ohionoeb 09/25/2009 5:34am

No VOTE on S1699 until after HEALTH CARE BILL?

Any move by the Senate finance panel to move benefits extension legislation would likely have to wait until after the committee concludes consideration of health-care legislation.

www.nasdaq.com/…/stock-market-news-story.aspx?…senate-mulls-jobless-benefit-extension-for-all-states-source

JMatzelle57 09/25/2009 5:36am

i say we all call his office and say were from nevada and if he dont hurry up and pass this and move it along he will no longer be in office he will have to pray for unemployment!!.

This is starting to stress me out

unemployed2007 09/25/2009 6:04am

MJH, I think so too. It’s going to be next week. It will bring us just past the Holiday and then they will take up the other issues of extending unemployment for all/extend dates. Everyone hang in there and stay strong. But, Keep pressuring Harry Reid/Senate. Do not let up!

• ohionoeb 09/25/2009 5:29am

This DELAY (S1699)…and not passing HR3548 in a FAST-STREAM manner as they said was the purpose of the Bill HR 3548.. Just proves my previous statement correct:

This is the most Incompetent Congress I have ever seen ..when it comes to helping the unemployed

• Mnwolf 09/25/2009 5:40am

Well IMO the president needs to look at this, even being as busy as he is right now… because if they do not pass one of these quick, his new health care wont matter because all of us that are still unemployed wont give a crap about it as we will be homeless and hungry..!! Any sen or rep that voted Nay on this needs to be ousted, unemployment isn’t going to go away just cause we are no longer able to collect benifits and are dropped off our state numbers…

• ohionoeb 09/25/2009 6:00am

Looks like thw whole world will be joining us soon..

This Crisis Just Appetizer for Total Breakdown: Marc Faber

“It’s a total and complete disaster and the crisis we had is just the appetizer to the big total breakdown of financial markets and of governments in five or 10 years time when the whole system goes bust,” Faber told “Worldwide Exchange.”

Google :
    This Crisis Just Appetizer for Total Breakdown: Marc Faber
    www.cnbc.com/id/33017669

• ohionoeb 09/25/2009 6:14am

Protesters March In Pittsburgh Ahead Of G-20 Summit

Many of the people who came to protest slept in tents along Wylie Avenue overnight

Protesters March In Pittsburgh Ahead Of G-20 Summit – Pennsylvania …
    www.wpxi.com/politics/21026997/detail.html

• ronaand 09/25/2009 6:14am

the issue is massachusetts is that there is no provision in the state constitution to provide for an interim appointment, be it republican or democratic
    the law provides for a special election to be held i believe within five to six months after the vacancy
    does this mean mass is not represented fully in the senate – unfortunately, yes
    if you don’t like it change your constitution

Send Your Senator a Letter