S.1699 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009

A bill to amend the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary availability of certain additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (2)

• Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Official: A bill to amend the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary availability of certain additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.

Taylor09 09/25/2009 7:06am

per Dictionary.com:

quick⋅ly  [kwik-lee], (adverb) with speed; rapidly; very soon.

• Kickthebumsout 09/25/2009 6:57am

Well you have to understand Reid is a busy conservative..He has 6 offices in kentucky and one in Washington to maintain. All I know is we will be gettin more joining our ranks, people with zero income = more job losses.

Taylor09 09/25/2009 7:11am

Reid is a Moderate Democrat from Nevada and the Majority Leader in the U.S. Senate

• Taylor09 09/25/2009 7:02am

Wow, couldn’t get on here yesterday. I see the stress is mounting. Let’s hang in there. There is power in numbers.

I am working on another poem. Hopefully, it will catch someone’s attention… We have to keep trying.

JMatzelle57 09/25/2009 7:05am

you know what

If we would march at washington if they dont do anything. It would be 100000 times worse then pittsburg.

We can pitch tents and be like hey i know you from open congress

I think its coming to that

• NoGoodOnesLeft 09/25/2009 7:07am

If anybody on here is near DC, they should do this -

Coffee and Doughnuts with Max
    Join me for coffee, doughnuts and conversation at 8:15 every Wednesday the Senate is in session, in my Washington office. Please call my office at 202-224-2651, for more information, or to let us know you’re in town. I hope to see you soon!

NoGoodOnesLeft 09/25/2009 7:08am

But hopefully they will pass it before next Wednesday!

DannyDog 09/25/2009 7:10am

What is so frustrating is that we have no real idea on when they will act on this.

• jones8288 09/25/2009 7:13am

They never have real answers until it is time for the vote??

• HopefromCA 09/25/2009 7:13am

To All:
    I think that what we all need to do is call, email, fax and mail all Senators asking for help to get an extension going. Making a guess as to why the bills are being delayed is not going to do any good. Lets focus on what will do us some good. Any other good ideas welcome.

jenzooben 09/25/2009 7:14am

Exactly! This is what we need to do. Conjecture is not going to get us anywhere.

Taylor09 09/25/2009 7:35am

Hope, I have posted on here before that I believe we should not only focus on our government officials but also on those who have power (money) to help in other areas. I have sent out letters to the Angels and Dodgers because I live in L.A. I have included some sob stories and asked the owners to donate a portion of ticket sales to charities to help the unemployed. For instance, where I live, there is a charity called Project Share which helps the unemployed and financially distressed pay their utilities. I choose the Dodgers and Angels because they are local and likely to be in the playoffs -ticket sales will be in demand. In my postings, I have suggested football teams and any other similar venues as well. It seems to me, it would be great P.R. and probably a tax write-off to the teams. We all would win. Players could even get involved. It would be great for communities.

• jenzooben 09/25/2009 7:13am

I just found this after HR 3548 thread. Stay positive. This is going to be up for a vote next week. This is why this bill came out just the day after HR 3548 passed. They will move on it.

It’s hard to sift through these threads. So much negativity which is understood. However, Ohioneb(?), you seem to continually post negative threads… Like you are looking for it. Instead, turn your anger into action and do something. Everyone make the calls. Stay strong!

NYER566 09/25/2009 2:07pm

WHERE DID YOU FIND THIS OUT AND CAN YOU POST A LINK FOR IT PLEASE

• HopefromCA 09/25/2009 7:18am

jenzooben,
    I think that we need to give Ohioneb some positive support. Ohioneb is under a lot of pressure and we need to rub some of our positive thoughts to Ohioneb.

jenzooben 09/25/2009 7:36am

I think that’s a good idea. I understand the frustration and emotions. We are all under pressure. I hope that we can try and support each other in a positive manner.

I do this this will be taken care of next week in the senate.

ohionoeb 09/25/2009 7:43am

RE: taken care of next week in the senate

Is it schedule for next week ?

• Moderated Comment

• mjh 09/25/2009 7:18am

In looking at this situation positively with regards to the time period given, look at it as more ample time to have NELP and other labor orginaz. that can influence congress and senate on the importance of getting all states for this bill and the alloted weeks we all have been wanting and also the dates extended. It will eventually all work out, give them one more week.

Serendipity 09/25/2009 7:48am

Absolutely, that’s the upside of this!!

ohionoeb 09/25/2009 7:55am

RE: more ample time

The WHOLE purpose of HR 3548 was to STEAM-LINE it though to help the unemployed ( 400,000) that runs out at the end of September !!!

Now they are delaying it .with this S1699.. TOTAL BS!!!!!!

• ohionoeb 09/25/2009 7:48am

S1699 is delaying the vote on HR 3548 .. And there is NO schedule to vote on s1699 any time soon .. They want to get the Health Care Bill done 1st..

unemployed2007 09/25/2009 7:52am

S1699 is not delaying anything. It is the companion bill to HR 3548 and will be voted on – Senate does not vote on the house bills(HR). The Senate does not have the schedule yet for next week. We will hear something soon.

• HopefromCA 09/25/2009 7:53am

ohionoeb,
    We need to focus on how to get the attention of all the Senators away from the Health Care Bill and on our unemployment bills. Does anyone have information on how to do this other than all the calls,emails,fax, and mailing to the Senators? Thanks for anything anyone can post.

Taylor09 09/25/2009 7:56am

Two thoughts:

1) The President insisting on it – now

2) The media putting faces to the unemployed

ohionoeb 09/25/2009 8:06am

RE: The President insisting on it – now

Link pLease

Taylor09 09/25/2009 8:22am

ohionoeb- there isn’t a link. It is my wishful thinking only.

I am stating the President needs to insist on it. If he says “jump” – they will.

I have been sending letters, emails and faxes to both Obama and Michelle as well as Congress.

NYER566 09/25/2009 2:12pm

I DID HEAR THE PRESIDENT MENTION UNEMPLOYMENT ON TV AT THE SUMMIT TODAY BUT DID NOT HEAR ANYTHING SPECIFIC HE SAID. BUT HE IS VERY AWARE WE NEED HELP THAT I KNOW, BUT HOW LONG IT WILL TAKE TO GET GO SENATE THATS THE BIG QUESTION.

• HopefromCA 09/25/2009 7:59am

Taylor09,
    Great ideas. So also calling, emailing, faxing and mailing the President to help us and how about sending letters to the local newspapers?

Taylor09 09/25/2009 8:03am

yes, yes!

In fact, when you send a letter to the local paper – include a picture of your children. Give the unemployed faces!

Send Your Senator a Letter