S.1699 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009

A bill to amend the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary availability of certain additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (2)

• Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Official: A bill to amend the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary availability of certain additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.

jones8288 09/25/2009 9:02am

Don’t know. Was just trying to help ohioneb. There are alot of programs out there. You just have to look for them. It got me thru last time with HR6867. That did take alot longer than this to pass. Last time I was out of benifits for almost 2 months. Only been out this time for 1 month so far!!

nancym 09/25/2009 9:00am

To be fair to ohionoeb’s and others’ sense of urgency, many of these community help efforts are either out of funds, waiting for funds, have insane eligibility requirements, or take months to get through the red tape. That is one reason to apply way ahead of time, but still.

Of course we have to follow up on all leads, including this link you posted. That earlier link for Salvation Army emergency cash help (was that your post?) was a great help I’m sure to the people in those areas where it was available, mainly in the midwest.

I learned recently that Goodwill.org also has quite a number of programs, which, like SA, seem to vary greatly by location. Probably best thing is to call them on the phone to ask what options they might offer.

JMatzelle57 09/25/2009 9:01am

the goverment dont care about people with kids who will live on the street as long as they make there money

BANKS GET BAILOUTS !!!

WE NEED THEM TOOO!!!

I WILL NOT deal with this

HopefromCA 09/25/2009 9:05am

nancym,
    Good point. I had the same problem when I was trying to get health insurance for my daughter. Needy families,etc were no longer taking any more kids and also may have to start dropping kids off of the programs due to budget. I had to put my daughter on student health insurance. It was the only thing left being offered.

jones8288 09/25/2009 9:07am

I know this, some times I have to go thru 5 programs to find one that has got funding. All can try google “faith based stimulus September 2009” I mean its better than sittin and thinkin and losing all if you can keep from it.

• HopefromCA 09/25/2009 8:53am

To All: I am going to put all ideas here so that others don’t ask the same questions repeatedly.

1. Call,email,fax,twitter,mail all Senators and the President.
    a. http://www.nelp.org/page/speakout/FedBensNow
    b. http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/
    2. Write letters to local newspaper regarding the need for unemployment support.
    3. Possible ideas if Senators and the President refuses to listen to us such as one term limit, etc.
    Updated news:
    No current news on when the Senators will vote on any unemployment bill.

Support for unemployed:
    Salvation Army

Any other ideas? Lets keep the ideas coming.

• mak0395 09/25/2009 8:55am

Just got a certified letter stating that if I cannot make 2 mortgage payments in the month of October they will start the foreclosure process. This can’t pass soon enough for me.

• Moderated Comment

HopefromCA 09/25/2009 9:01am

mak0395,
    What if you make a partial payment? Doesn’t that help?

jones8288 09/25/2009 9:08am

If you ever been behind on your mortgage they say no way on partial payment. If they except it that means they are working with you, and they just want there money not part of it. It’s a bitch I know been there done that!!!

• nancym 09/25/2009 9:07am

I’m gone for the day. Take some deep breaths, everybody.

NoGoodOnesLeft 09/25/2009 9:15am

Bye Nancy. Thanks for your help.

• HopefromCA 09/25/2009 9:08am

1. Call,email,fax,twitter,mail all Senators and the President.
    a. http://www.nelp.org/page/speakout/FedBensNow
    b. http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/

Updated news:
    No current news on when the Senators will vote on any unemployment bill.

Support for unemployed: Some may be out of funds.
    Salvation Army
    Goodwill.org

Any other ideas? Lets keep the ideas coming. Thanks nancym

Goodwill.org

HopefromCA 09/25/2009 9:09am

oops, sorry about the spacing apart.

• mak0395 09/25/2009 9:08am

I need to make one payment by Oct 8th and I’m not going to have the funds and then they will accept 1 payment dated for the last day in October. Our Salvation Army has no funds at this time to assist us on anything.

• ohionoeb 09/25/2009 9:24am

JMatzelle57,

RE: read that ohio its the same bill not a new one holding up the 3548

Might want to go back on page 6 to your “reply” about what is in the S1699

S1699 is NOT the same as HR 3548 ..

ohionoeb 09/25/2009 9:32am

S1699

(b) Effective Date- The amendments made by this section shall apply to wages paid after December 31, 2009

it’s to extend the pay period for EUC..So yes ,This is whats holding up the passage to HR3548..

ohionoeb 09/25/2009 9:56am

Scratch..my last 2 post..Looks like S1699 and HR 3548 are the Identicle..

So whats the HOLD-UP..

GonzoFL 09/25/2009 11:02am

Just pretend that FUTA thing isn’t there ohionoeb….it get’s you every time…lol

• Moderated Comment

• Taylor09 09/25/2009 9:24am

I know this is off subject but I don’t want anyone with little ones to miss this, please note:

“Infants’ and children’s liquid Tylenol being recalled”

• rosebud 09/25/2009 9:30am

I need to get some clarification if possible on my benefit eligibility situation. I have been on unemployment since May 08. I worked briefly Dec 08/Jan 09. This past May I was told I needed to file a whole new claim. That after a year on unemployment, you have to open a new claim. I have a few weeks left on that new claim. Will I qualify for the 13-20 week extension?

Also I just started in the last few days paying attention to these bills and their significance to me. If this is of any value to anyone, I just got an recorded phone message from congressman John Adler of NJ. He will be at the Mt. Laurel, NJ Fall Festival tomorrow, at a booth and he wants feedback on whatever issues.

• HopefromCA 09/25/2009 9:38am

1. Call,email,fax,twitter,mail all Senators and the President.
    a. http://www.nelp.org/page/speakout/FedBensNow
    b. http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/

Updated news:
    No current news on when the Senators will vote on any unemployment bill.
    The current bill is EUC and not retroactive.

Support for unemployed: Some may be out of funds.
    Salvation Army
    Goodwill.org
    Faith based stimulus package

Sorry about all the updates. Will stop now. Everyone okay with this kind of posts? Thanks for any feedback

• jones8288 09/25/2009 9:44am

I don’t mind this kind of post at all. It is positive, focused and on topic. If a link can get me thru till the next day bring it on. There are no bad ideas only ones that have been brought up!!

• lstricker 09/25/2009 9:50am

• rmiranda77 09/25/2009 9:50am

I just got in from another day out in the field looking for work(with my daughter in tow as I can not afford Day Care and am on a waiting list for free childcare-which can take as long as 5 years before they call me) and logged on to see if there was anything new. I’ve made an observation that I would like to address. Ohio, please don’t take this the wrong way, but I saw your post regarding your daughter under the HR3548 thread. It seems to me, with all the stress you under, with your daughter being sick, bills not being paid, etc, that you spend an awfully long time on OC. Instead of using all that energy you’ve put into posting multiple links for the same thing, maybe you should use that energy to try and help yourself and your daughter…outside of a political forum “Chat Room”.
    I can’t imagine what it must be like to have a child sick in that way. I have a two year old daughter who keeps me on my toes as it is. There ARE resources out there, you just have to work to find them.

• lstricker 09/25/2009 9:54am

I did this search: Orange County, California Housing Authority

And came up with this: http://egov.ocgov.com/ocgov/Info%20OC/Departments%20&%20Agencies/OC%20Community%20Services/Housing%20&%20Community%20Development/Homeless

I’m sure there are more programs out there…

• jones8288 09/25/2009 9:57am

Ok just got a real person calling me back from my hammering Jerry Costellos office with e-mails. “Told to be patient that is has passed the house and legislation is being hashed out in the senate and their read on this was companion bills will be brought to the floor of senate next week” they were speaking about S 1699 and HR 3548. His secretary used in terms of mid week to end of week for sure. I have to take him at his word. I was told to encourage Senators Durbin and Burris’ offices to move quickly that they know that people are getting close to losing all.

I have known Mr. Costello for years and he is a straight arrow.

PLEASE ALL IT WILL PASS SOOOOOON!!! DON"T LOSE HOPE!!! And call all the programs in your area to get you thru the next 2 weeks

ohionoeb 09/25/2009 10:03am

RE: will be brought to the floor of senate next week

But RENT is due next week.. Congress should have voted on this when they 1st retuRn from their month long Recess..September 8 ..like they PROMISE!!!!

• Moderated Comment