S.3520 - Unemployment Insurance Extension Act of 2010

A bill to provide for an extension of unemployment insurance. view all titles (3)

• Official: A bill to provide for an extension of unemployment insurance. as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Insurance Extension Act of 201 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Insurance Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.

• bhrodeoaz 06/26/2010 3:55pm

I sure hope that this bill does not get stalled in committees, or the house or senate. To many people are going to or have already lost benefits due to the failure of HR 4213. This bill needs to be accelerated through committee and both the house and senate. Republicans have stated that they would pass a stand alone version of the unemployment benefits. So if this gets to them it will be a major make or break come november. I have made multiple post regarding this bill to stir up support. Pass it on to as many people as possible.

dankennedy73 06/27/2010 7:23am

I’m with you! To many people are suffering bad enough as it is.

Catawbafelines 06/30/2010 6:40am

My unemployment benefits have run out. How are you suppose to put food on the table? I look for a job everyday and talk with friends that I know. Maybe we need to stop issuing work visas to forgein residents.

vote4whoandwhy 06/30/2010 7:51am

OMG – work visas to foreign residents opens a whole other can of smelly worms!

LUnemp 07/06/2010 5:51am

If all of the companies in the United States would STOP outsourcing to other countries then we would have more jobs… I think they should make the companies that outsource pay a high tax to be able to do this – make it not so economically wonderful for them. The money they save on payroll would be paid in tax’s…

jduong08 07/06/2010 9:42pm

I agree with you…stop issuing work visas to forgein residents. many of company are hiring forgein employee

tmo520 06/27/2010 10:48am

bhrodeoaz – i will post to my FB wall and try to get this out there to as many people as possible. additionally, i like the idea that someone posted on HR 4213 about the 4th of july angle….. i’m going to try to contact the newspaper/tv stations about this out here in CA.

bhrodeoaz 06/27/2010 2:19pm

i contacted most of the tv stations here in phx about the new bill, no one even heard of it. But they all know about it now and i am hoping again that the republicans quit dicking around with it and accelerate it thru committee. I have also forwarded it to alot of people i know on youtube so its interesting how fast word spreads. I found one video from a guy on youtube. He tells it like it is in his CASE, as every case is different here is the link:

Lynea123 06/28/2010 1:07pm

Thank you!!!

By the way, do you think Open Congress can afford an extra space for the ‘0’ in 2010? “S.3520 – Unemployment Insurance Extension Act of 201”

Doh!

qLadyJane 06/29/2010 2:08pm

I’m with you there tmo520, I’m trying to find out anything on writing to the news channel ABC7 out here in LA. The people need to know what’s going on. They need to know about S 3520 and why its so important to hundreds of thousands of us out her in CA.

Chris51 06/27/2010 10:11pm

12 Democrats joining a UNANIMOUS Republican bloc, the US Senate voted Wednesday (6/16/2010) to defeat a proposed extension of unemployment.
    Congress rushed through a $700 billion bailout of Wall Street in 2008.
    The Wall Street Journal reported last week that American corporations have increased their cash reserves to $1.84 TRILLION, the highest figure in history. In other words, big business and the banks, after an unprecedented bailout by the public treasury, are hoarding the funds that could put millions back to work. The cash reserves of major corporations have jumped 26 percent in one year, the largest percentage increase in nearly 60 years. The cash reserves of working people, and particularly the unemployed, have not been so fortunate… change.org

Filtered Comment [ show ]

Houselogic 06/28/2010 3:41pm

It Ends when China doesn’t have OUR jobs. If you want it to end have Republicans/Democrats stop allowing American companies to out source. As well as stopping illeagals from crossing the border. This has nothing to about spending, it’s about the millions of people with out work. Senate and Congress have got raise after raise after raise. While Americans lose job after job after job.

qLadyJane 06/29/2010 2:10pm

Bravo Houslogic! Well said!

LUnemp 07/06/2010 5:58am

I completely agree – all of our jobs have been outsourced to other countries so the companies in the United States can save on payroll… A bill should be passed to make it cost these companies money when they out source. If a bill was passed to tax these companies “A LOT” of money, maybe they would begin hire people within their “own country” again and help their own countries economy…

Ineedtoeat 06/29/2010 8:43am

I just started my UI after working for 30 years. I can’t find a job like a lot of other people. Now they change the rules…What’s up with that? I thought about drawing some of my retirement and starting a business. I don’t think I want to take the gamble in todays eccomony. Why would you? Our government can’t even extend a helping hand for those who may become homeless and hungry. I just don’t get it….

passitalready 06/29/2010 2:49pm

THE REASON “WE” don’t have the money is because “WE” spent it bailing out the very CROOKS that are responsible for this CATASTROPHE? Simple truth is, I am a VICTIM of this fiasco and now being treated as if I am Responsible by My Government and My Fellow Americans!

I would love to trade places with anyone who has a job, home, food, AND A PAYCHECK TO SUPPORT IT ALL. ANY OFFERS? DIDN’T THINK SO!!! Don’t cast stones when you live in a glass house… Soon what “We” can’t afford because we were Victimized BY ALL AMERICANS, “We” will be forced to take from “YOU”. AND WE WILL BE CASTING THE STONES, JUST AS YOU HAVE, AND YOUR WORLD WILL COME CRUMBLING DOWN , JUST AS OURS HAS.

Will YOU then be screaming of the injustice of it all, that YOU are the victim here, that YOUR Government and YOUR Fellow Americans are treating YOU as if YOU are Responsible??? I guarantee it!

BigCat 06/28/2010 10:07am

With Sen. Byrd dying today and the media-friendly topic of the disaster in the Gulf loading up the airwaves, I’m losing faith in S.3520 getting much press or TV time before the Senate takes their ‘vacation’. What’s a few million unemployed Americans worth in ratings compared to an ex Klu Klux Klan congressman dying, or repetitive video of an oil soaked pelican. The EUC topic may be sinking to the bottom of too many priority lists :-(

Chris51 06/28/2010 10:21am
    + 13

Congress that rushed through bailout of WALL STREET in 2008 in a matter of days, cannot bring itself to support even the most meager subsistence for the unemployed workers who are the victims, not the perpetrators, of the economic crisis. While the White House and Congress wrangle over the smallest of subsistence measures for the jobless, neither party nor the corporate elite as a whole propose to do anything to provide jobs for the unemployed. The Wall Street Journal reported that American corporations have increased their cash reserves to $1.84 TRILLION, the HIGHEST figure in history. In other words, big business and the banks, after an unprecedented bailout by the public treasury, are hoarding the funds that could put millions back to work. The cash reserves of major corporations have jumped 26 percent in one year, the largest percentage increase in nearly 60 years. The cash reserves of working people, and particularly the unemployed, have not been so fortunate… change.org

dennypccc1 06/28/2010 12:04pm

Yes I agree, the economy is not ready to put many people out on the streets, there will be a lot of angry Americans on the 4th of July. Hey why do pay raises for our congress go thru so quick, and we never hear about it. These guys have nice incomes, health insurance hey lets put up another bill to take a percentage of thier paychecks and add it to the unemployment pool. PASS THE THING ALREADY and get off your jacked up horses

icanttakeitanymore 06/29/2010 4:45pm

This has got to stop. The few in charge are destroying it for all of us. The bank bailout…makes me ill. Did you know? The politicians are not going to give Medicare recipients a cost of living raise for 2 years, but they gave themselves raises…..WHAT?

satdog 06/29/2010 6:38am

Why would you continue to delay, stall on the need for the exhausted unemployed people? These people need a lifeline they were in the heart of this and it is not over! There is absolutely no sense in not adding new Tiers 5, 6 if recovery jobs are coming back to place these people back to work. This jobs issue was caused by the governing people not the people who work everyday. Do something right get new tiers added !

NoneYa 06/29/2010 7:24am

That Harry reid is the culprit. He has something stuck up his ass. I don’t blame Republicans alone in this. Both sides are to blame. Nearly 44 % of the Senators are millionaires, when less than 1% of US population are. The rest get paid handsomely with tax payers money. You think they care about you? Then you are mistaken. It’s not the fat cats in Wall Street that created this problem, they are the fat cats in Washington that did. So they must be charged and brought to justice if you ask me. Lobbying, campaign donations so on and so forth- just another name for bribery which is a crime any way you look at it. They are the ones making our lives miserable. I suggest even bringing those firing squad from Utah and line them up in Capital Hill and take care of them. No one misses them. Who cares about their familie as they don’t seem to care about ours.

mek8630 06/30/2010 2:22pm

I am sure you don’t need the income anymore than I do. I am losing EVRYTHING. I cant afford to by my baby diapers,we are going without food.I cant afford to getthe plates on my car renewed.I can’t buy gas.I can’t find a job.I have turned in so many resumes I can’t even begn to remeber who all I have and haven’t turned one into.But yet nobody has called me for even an interview.I just don’t understand.Even if I were safe and was in the ones that WOULD get it,I wouldn’t want the bill to pass.It is not fair that the government is trying to just kill us off and not giving any help.I have paid into the p.o.s.government my whole adult life just like everyone else.I say its our money and we should be getting it.I don’t want to paythem up there anymore salary and I want my MONEY.They will see the bad come out as soon as I run out of options and cant buy milk for my baby or food for my wifeandI.THAT will be the day.Together we can make a difference.Alone we are nothing.

mek8630 06/30/2010 2:25pm

well since I didn’t get to say what I really wanted to because it has a stupid ridiculously short limit. My point is we should all stick together through this and MAKE them give us our money. THEY WORK FOR US not the other way around. I don’t know about you people but seriously do you want others going without not being able to take care of their families? While you sit there and are ok for another couple weeks and then the same thing will happen to you. That is the plan though is to divide us.

satdog50 07/04/2010 9:27am

Tier 5 is absolutely needed by ALL Unemployed. Stop the games on the deadlines when there are only a few this Bill will help. Remove the deadlines and incorporate new TIERS 5, 6 for at least one year for American Unemployed who are suffering. Your ODJFS need to be contacted on their practices of stopping the unemployed not to be able to file claims this is wrong it will not provide true unemployemnt rate numbers in this country. Do something right for a change you know there is job issue in this country if 99 weeeks can not find work and the 26, 43 weeks can not find work why are you penalizing the unemployed who completely exhausted thier claims . Get a Tier 5 , 6 BILL.

• Kaly33 06/28/2010 4:27am

This bill must be reviewed and passed immediately. Now is not the time to worry if someone is taking advantage of the program. There are many other areas to review for that if someone had the guts to tackle. However, not to get off topic, Companies are still laying off. There are no where near enough jobs for those unemployed. I’m willing to take that pay cut. My home is for sale but unable to sell, because there are soooo many foreclosures that are half the cost- People! Can’t you think ahead!? There is going to be a large trickle down effect. This has the effect to last many years and if something does not happen soon, I do not see it as being recoverable! Unemployment does not cover most other bills, but it can, hopefully save someone’s home. Me personally, I have a very large amount of equity, because my home is half paid for. I am about to loose it! I have young kids! WHAT IS WRONG WITH OUR POLITICIANS!!!!! I AM PLEADING!!!! PLEASE BRING THE EXTENSIONS BACK!!!!!

Lynea123 06/28/2010 11:38am

I think the reason it hasn’t been mentioned on the senate floor is because I think a penalty was imposed on Thursday due to the 3 failed cloture attempts. This penalty is 60 session hours. In other words, 60 session hours must pass before … oh wait, never mind, that’s before H.R. 4213 can be brought up again. This can pass if it is reviewed in time and somehow expedited, but I’m not sure how. It’s not even in the schedule for this week. They did it with the doc fix, they can do it with this.

• sheradawn 06/28/2010 5:40am

PLEASE BRING BACK THE EXTENSION. I have a bachelor’s degree, I have worked full time since graduating and was laid off last year in January. I have applied for at least 45 job openings. I had 5 call backs, telling me I am overqualified. The only job I could find, pays $10 per hour, and part time. Unfortunately, I would be spending more in childcare for my 3 year old son than I would be making. Without the unemployment, I can not pay my bills (which are standard, no extras), nor can I buy the amount of groceries needed. My hubby works full time, and we are barely making it. We pay our mortgage on time, every month since we bought our home 1 year before I was laid off. Yet, still we make too much for any kind of assistance, we can not even refinance our home. Only option now is facing foreclosure if benefits run out. I have tried everything, I could not even get financial aid to go back to school, nor did I qualify for a grant. HELP

• joerockhead25 06/28/2010 5:47am

this is unreal it seems that they are more worried about other people than us

Send Your Senator a Letter