S.3520 - Unemployment Insurance Extension Act of 2010

A bill to provide for an extension of unemployment insurance. view all titles (3)

• Official: A bill to provide for an extension of unemployment insurance. as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Insurance Extension Act of 201 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Insurance Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.

• CJKell 07/01/2010 1:09pm

TIER 5!!!!!!!!!!

kckcontarino6 07/01/2010 2:04pm

Do you know something I dont about tier 5??!! I am a 99er and have been without benefits since May 2010. I desperately need tier 5…so any news?

satdog 07/02/2010 11:10am

If there is no tier 5 It will not even matter if you people that have been laid off short term the deadlines dates are going to kill the bill anyway. So make them put a tier 5 in for one year one date and do not put in ending dates early in between. This will allow people who only have been laid off short term to get the same when the bill ends in one year as others if deadlines are in this it will cut you out before you get started. ALL unemployed need to work together or both will have no money to find work or eat.

• Jess01869 07/01/2010 8:35pm

the last I watched on Cspan, they were trying to pass a temporary “fix” and come back to the topic of the longer unemployed “fix” later. Nothing has changed though for either.

• enrico17 07/02/2010 4:11am

Cannot believe this, what else can happen. Problem with interperting WV law on Senate replacement and they may have to have a special election to vote for a new Senator. Remember what happened with Kennedy’s seat it went to Scott Brown. Even if the Govenor tries to put in a replacement the Republicans are going to take it to the courts, which will hold up the process until Nov. This is a mess, Reid should have made them stay over the holiday and pay for extensions. Reid was so positive he had this vote, as a Senator didn’t he know this could happen, the incompetency in our government is unbelievable and this is why or country is in such bad shape. .

• eavina30 07/02/2010 11:12am

boycotts

• klburris 07/03/2010 11:57am

To those of you who oppose this: it’ll end up costing the country more when those who run out of benefits result to using all other resources via TANF, food stamps, trustee’s office & other forms of welfare. So what’s worse? It’s not like they’re ext benefits for the rest of our lives. Yes, 2 yrs is a lot but 6 mths isn’t enough, not in this economy where the jobs are so scarce. I’m assuming you aren’t unemployed or don’t grasp the difficulty it is to find a job in today’s economy that would pay enough to support a family. Yes, most people can get a min wage job but not everyone can survive on that. Some of us have families to support. I’ll take a job that pays me less but I still need to be able to pay bills & sorry not going to work 2 FT min wage jobs either so a sitter can raise my son! Wake up people: unemployment doesn’t pay 90% of us enough to just be lazy like you think. It merely helps calm the stress of being out a job by helping us to get by each day until we find a new one.

• jrhill 07/03/2010 4:55pm

• jrhill 07/04/2010 3:54am

Get up from your chair, open your door and walk outside…

“Look at the birds of the air; they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?”

dankennedy73 07/05/2010 7:44am

Please stop using government sites to preach religion. There are plenty of churches, if that is what people want to hear they can simply go to the nearest on or better yet they can open a bible and read it for themselves. I protected and respect your right to be religious, please show the same courtesy and respect my right to not have to be preached to when I’m trying to a feel of the political pulse of the nation.

• zen_maker 07/04/2010 8:19pm

I told my landlord to please wait until I will be able to get my unemployment benefits reinstated, but he refuses to extend me any longer, will throw me outside. I can’t believe the government is doing this to its own citizens! They have enough money to provide ammunition for their war games but don’t have enough money to feed their own citizens, this society is coming to an end!

• Jess01869 07/05/2010 1:04am

I know! I got evicted June 18th. Going on week 5 of no benefits, didn’t get to Tier 2. Wasn’t able to renew my stickers on my car, pay my insurance, and even my license is suspended since I wasn’t able to pay my monthly $200 surcharge, and I had to apply for emergency food stamps yesterday! I had to move to a new town and have a little less than 2 weeks to turn in $550 for rent and a $300 deposit,transfer utilities in my name, and pay a phone bill on the 12th to keep my phone on. Among the places I applied at is Walgreens and they haven’t even called me yet. My Wells Fargo account over drafted by $30 and closed since I couldn’t pay it in time on top of all that. UH! This is crazy and now a ‘War spending package’!? What is going on with this country!? We’re the ones putting money BACK INTO the economy with our unemployment benefits. Here we all worked our asses off, paid taxes for years just to lose our jobs by no fault of our own and then get forgotten by the senate and left to suffer.

• mykenzi 07/05/2010 9:20am

12.2% unemployment rate in my county. 9.5% unemployment rate in my state. We need tier 5, 6, 7 or how ever long it takes to get back to work. I’m a 62 year old professional and have worked since I was 14. I can’t bend (physically, not because I won’t, I use to be very active) down to work in the farm fields, and the migrants (illegal or not) are all working their asses off!!!

I just want to work again :-(

• zen_maker 07/06/2010 3:35am

Unemployed man: “I can’t pay my rent, I can’t find a job, please you need to pass this bill asap!”

Senator: “DO NOT DISTURB” Will be back from vacation on July 12!

Unemployed man: “My kids are starving, I can’t buy any food, I can’t find any work”

Senator: “DO NOT DISTURB”!!!

Unemployed man: “I’m leaving this country”

Senator: "Good news, I’m back, lets filibuster this bill!!!

Unemployed man: “F@#$K”

• jennkadd 07/06/2010 4:14am

This bill needs to be passed immediately! I am and have been actively applying for jobs everyday, not even caring anymore what job it is or the pay. I do not qualify for assistance according to Michigan DHS, they say my husband grosses too much to receive food assistance for my son. That is false, otherwise I would not be looking for help. I do not WANT to be on unemployment, I would love a job. But by cutting the benefits like this will crush us all who were receiving it.

• Houselogic 07/06/2010 6:25am

Good men and women are forced to be silent and hold their tongues cause of fear of what is thought of them. What is the best thing to do for a man when he fails, its to mock him. So to help someone who has failed as a result of an outside influence (Congress/Senate) is fear of losing POWER over the 1 you made fail. Get in the way or get out the way but don’t block failure or success. These men in women who make these polices and write these bills, are no more diffrent than being Lords/Ladies in medieval times. Like the majority of most Americans I wait silently, waiting for the time when those who say, “There are jobs out there you have to go look!!! don’t be Lazy!” Soon the constant ignoring of your people Lords/Ladies of the senate…. Will be met with tyranny of the people’s own doing, and then when everyone begins to ask, “How did we get here? Where did it all start?” Good men and women will be made evil and tyrants will be made gods!!

• Jess01869 07/06/2010 4:14pm

Does anyone know New Jersey’s unemployment rate? Senator Frank Lautenberg of NJ (democrat) took Byrd’s place. Final vote needed perhaps? Write him!

jrhill 07/07/2010 2:20am

according to some other posts on the board, Sen Lautenberg (D-NJ) is just taking Byrd’s place on the Homeland Security Appropriations board….He is NOT his senatorial seat replacement..

His “senate” replacement would need to come from the Governor (and will probably be a Dem from WV).. when this happens, it should be the 60’th “aye” vote on the measure…

hang in there!!

• sackerman4 07/07/2010 8:55am

I just read an article asking anyone interested in passing the unemployment bill (any bill that is currently on the docket) to either e-mail
    Governor Manchin of West Virginia to appoint himself Senator, taking Senator Byrd’s seat or calling him at 1-888-438-2731. I am going to do both. If we can clog his email and/or phone lines, maybe he will get the message. Tell your unemployed friends as well. Good luck to all of us!

• ls 07/08/2010 9:04am

With 200,000 a week losing their unemployment benefits, that is a lot of people to overwhelm the social services system such as it is. How does the government expect any kind of recovery if people can’t even keep a roof over their heads, especially families. I have a bachelors degree, and am paying to go back to school for retraining. I have four kids and am a single parent – my unemployment ends next month. I’ve put in stacks of applications and resumes – nothing, not even McDonalds! My sister has been unemployed for over a year, same story. If our senators and representatives would like to have THEIR jobs come the next election, I’d think they’d hurry up and get us some help – screw the deficit for now. If we cut funding to other countries, bring our troops home and eliminate pork and fraud in programs we already have, the deficit wouldn’t be increased!

• ChiefICSW 07/09/2010 1:28pm

You, our representatives: Important heads up: There are still unemployed people in serious trouble out there! Just because (statistically!) Unemployment is (apparently) fallen, DO NOT FORGET US!… I represent this group. I am 55 years young. I’ve served my country for 21 years in the USN. I’ve worked for 14 more years after that. In June 2009, I was laid off. I’ve been searching since. I’ve lost my home. I’ve lost my car. I’ve lost my dog (had to put her down because the apartments I’m living in could not take her.). My son is going to college this fall, and I have no way to help him. I can barely feed us, and I’m not sure how I’m going to keep the lights on.

without Unemployment Insurance, I will no longer be able to pay for telephones & internet. Hard to search for a job without them. Next, I will lose my remaining car, my apartment. What’s next? A very large cardboard box for the six of us?

Stand up in the House and Senate and shout “I will not stand for this!!!”

• Jonascord 07/11/2010 11:23am

This bill is dead. We are all going to be out on the street, much to the amusement of Congress. Food stamps. Cooked over a camp fire? The Republican Senators want to prove that they are “tough” on Federal spending, conveniently pretending that they are not as guilty as the Democrats. (Anyone remember prescription subsidies?) The Democrats are getting an early Christmas when they can show that Country Club Republicans don’t care about the Little Guy. Yet Reid won’t put forward a stand alone bill. 1,800,000 people are destitute, today. They will be on the street, kids and all. Most are older, white, and still wondering just what the hell happened. Another 200,00 next week. Another 200,000 the week after. There are 9,000,000 plus who will never work again.

You all in Congress must be VERY proud.

• dhh01 07/12/2010 8:12am

We’ve built an incredible economic system that gave people jobs and allowed them to consume goods and services at an ever increasing rate. This system worked until we began to eliminate the source of income to fuel spending — jobs. This was obvious years ago and lending beyond reason to fuel the stock market and financial system returns just made most people oblivious to the common fact until it is all too obvious now. The United States economy is driven purely by us consumers and the US economy is not sustainable without jobs for US consumers. Look at any small town in this country or large city. The mass exodus of jobs has undermined the economic engine of our country. In addition to extending unemployment benefits, there should be legistlation to incentivize community level employment that reinvests in rebuilding our relationships and our strength — the educated and hopeful American workforce quick to work hard to inspire and attain life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

• Jess01869 07/12/2010 7:34pm

I never even hit Tier 2…it says I can file for a new claim July 31st unless benefits get extended by then…I’ve been without benefits now for 6 weeks, doing my job searches,and making my payment requests…does this mean I get back pay or screwed completely if I don’t qualify for the claim July 31st if benefits AREN’T extended before that day? I can’t get through the unemployment office to ask…I’m about to be evicted AGAIN (lost my house in June when my benefits first got cut off) if I don’t pay rent/deposit by the 17th since the landlord has been more than understanding of the situation.I’m very worried! Can anyone shed some light?

whywasilaidoff 07/13/2010 8:17am

I never got there either. 6 weeks living on my hard earned savings. I’ll never get it back. It is my understanding that we will be paid retroactively once the extension passes but it will take from 1-6 weeks to get our checks. I hope things work out for you. I can’t believe big brother treats it’s citizens like this!

jrhill 07/14/2010 1:59pm

better get used to it…

it’s gonna get a whole lot worse..

tax breaks set to expire at the end of the year and just about every single tax you can imagine is going to be raised across the board..

no company in their right mind is going to be creating the amount of jobs that we need to get unemployment down to 8-7%

and when the libs in congress and obama give 15 million illegal aliens amnesty, it’s going to make it even worse..

it’s on purpose… we are all the pawns in the game…

the destruction of our society so it can be “rebuilt” into something different.. something very dangerous…

The healthcare bill alone has indebted 2 generations of “future” workers who are sitting in elementary schools not even aware of what is to come.

this is the change… our government is broke, yet the welfare state gets bigger and bigger.. it is by design…

unless it is stopped in November, we are in for decades of horror…

That 07/15/2010 7:26am

If you are following this bill you are most likely unemployed and you know that there is NO friggin jobs out there, They haven’t done anything to create jobs. If this passes when it runs out there is still going to be no jobs! They need to pass a bill that runs till the jobs start to recover. And knock off this BS of bumping it along every 2 months, Im a 99er with a family of 5 and no check in the last six months My family has ZERO income. I pray you all don’t have to suffer through what I have these last months. STILL NO JOBS!

jrhill 07/17/2010 4:36am

you’re right – congress and the “so called” POTUS just don’t get it..

they are too busy foaming at the mouth to bring 2,500 pages more of regulations on what remains of our financial industry, then they are going to regulate tax and punish what remains of our smoke stack industries with the Waxman/Markey Cap’and’Tax bill and then it’s off to work on giving amnesty to over 15 million illegal alien criminals who have snuck over the border into our country..

after these three things, a few more white house concerts and another 90-100 more holes of golf, I’m sure they will move on to “CREATING JOBS”

just be patient…

• KristyLynn 07/13/2010 6:45am

Nothing is going to happen on this until the WV Gov. names the replacement for Byrd. It is my understanding that this will not happen until The West Virginia legislature meets Thursday in a special session to clarify the state’s law on senatorial succession. Manchin WV Gov. has said he’ll name Byrd’s replacement after the legislature acts. The person who is appointed will be a Dem. and will be the 60th yes vote for the Dem.s to pass the Unemployment extention (fingers crossed). Just cant understand how when there are people out here suffering that this process cant be pushed along to happen quicker. The Sen. did not stay over the holiday becuase they needed to have the replacement for Byrd appointed to do anything. We need to light a fire under the Gov. of WV to move forward, nothing is going to happen until he makes his choice. With the replacement for Byrd not being named until after Thursday there is no hope of getting this passed until at best early next week! UGGGG!

• Kaly33 07/15/2010 2:55pm

Well, I just heard a bill passed for 20 bil. to go to HAMAs refugees to be relocated to america. So much for taking care of americans.
    Also, from my understanding the bill S3520 is being stalled because of 2 senators holding out to use as leverage to keep Bush’s tax policy for large Corp. in tact. I would really like to know who these 2 senators are and make sure they are not re-elected. Our system has just gotten so corrupt. Its no longer about the american citizens.

Send Your Senator a Letter