S.3520 - Unemployment Insurance Extension Act of 2010

A bill to provide for an extension of unemployment insurance. view all titles (3)

• Official: A bill to provide for an extension of unemployment insurance. as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Insurance Extension Act of 201 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Insurance Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.

• leslierickard 06/29/2010 2:34am

The House is voting on its own stand-alone version today, also on the home buyers tax credit….keeping a little sliver of hope alive!

• Loriann123 06/29/2010 6:30am

Most of us that are unemployed are so due to no fault of our own! We have been searching but for every job opening hundreds are responding!

As for those who think we do not want to work, perhaps they should attempt to find a job in todays economy. I’m sure most, if not all, that are unemployed would appreciate any job they can get! We are not “holding out” for a “pay raise”. In fact, we’d take a pay cut just to see a steady income once again!

To the ones that said we are drug addicts, go ahead, drug test us! Most of us do not use drugs. The most you’d find in this body is high blood pressure medications!

To the ones that state we are hobos. We will become homeless if we can not pay our rent or mortgages!

It’s been suggested to hire us for the mess in the gulf… PLEASE DO! It’ would take our minds off our desperate situation, even if only for a spell! You get me there, I’ll go!

Please, Please throw us a lifeline! And please, do so before your 2 week vacation!

AmberWoodson 06/29/2010 8:16am

Totally concure with your views!!! I say drug test me too. I vote we put into consideration that THEY take a 10, 20, 30% pay cut like we did before being completely laid off more than a year ago. It wouldn’t affect them you can bet on that. I calculated what I did make on unemployment compared to what a congressman makes in 1 year. I can live off of his/her salary for 7 years or better. They’re materialistic money grubbing fools! I’m just happy to pay my bills and be current……………

• leslierickard 06/29/2010 6:46am

The House is going to vote on their version today..it will be the 13th bill for consideration which means the vote probably won’t happen until after 4:00 eastern time. It is called teh Restoration of Emergency Unemployment Act and I haven’t found an ID number for it yet…still looking.

Tres0607 06/29/2010 7:02am

It’s HR 5618 – To Continue Unemployment Programs… Go to the homepage and it’s in the right column under new legislation toward the bottom. : )

neumannwilliam 06/29/2010 11:02am

It failed..

jrhill 06/29/2010 1:29pm

it was voted down

:-(

not sure on the reasoning.. I missed the debate on it.

Keep the faith folks! Things will get tougher but you must be strong! you WILL make it! have faith and never give up

• waitingforchange 06/29/2010 7:54am

I do not understand how people who claim to love America can abandon AMERICANS.

How can Senate members even entertain the thought of celebrating July 4 — a day that celebrates AMERICA — without thinking of those who are going hungry and homeless?

• spiritualjin 06/29/2010 8:43am

How About a Tier 5 or more weeks added to tier 4; I don’t see anything except a change in filing deadline. This is needed also as millions of people are / have exausted everything with no job in sight. Demand Additional Weeks or Tier 5

neumannwilliam 06/29/2010 11:00am

They have to draw a line somewhere. 99 weeks of unemployment and you haven’t figured something out. Sounds like people are to dependent on the government.

lonnienyssa 06/29/2010 11:03am

That comment is unfounded. We have been paying taxes since I was able to work at 16 years of age and now I have been laid off of a job I worked at for 16 years. I have only worked there since I was 18 years old I only know that job I have been looking at going back to school but I have 4 childrent that I have never had to ask for assistance with but now what do I do?? I go to interviews everyday I send in resumes everyday. I want to work!!!! Believe me the kids are driving me crazy but there is NOTHING out there. So I ask you…. I have supported my government for MANY years… now that I need them where are they???

ronaflores 06/29/2010 3:48pm

I worked since I was 11 field, shoesstore,market,banks,etc..NEVER Collect anything (disabiliby while I had my 3 daughters 6 weeks each) and that was all..now you are trying to tell me I want to live or depend on the goverment you have to be jokind… there is no jobs I was laid off a year ago and have going to school and still can’t find a job but guess what my mortgage is due, my water,electricity and tuitons for my daughters school are due..can you tell me how to pay for them…

Loriann123 06/30/2010 1:59am

Obviously you haven’t attempted to look for work recently! First off, in order to receive unemployment we have to verify that we have been searching for work. For every one job out there hundreds are responding. To make matters worse, some of the ads are explicitly stating “the unemployed need not apply”. While it may seem high to receive benefits for 99 weeks, we are in a catch 22 right now. Without benefits we can not pay our mortgages or rent, food, or gas to go to our next interview should we be called in for one!

vote4whoandwhy 06/30/2010 7:54am

I went to a job placement agency and during my interview with same, the 24 year old recruiter for the company told me that she could NOT place me anywhere since I was UNEMPLOYED!!!!!!!!!!! Congress, can you hear us???!!!!

• codemoney 06/29/2010 10:45am

I found this comment:
    S.3520 – Unemployment Insurance Extension Act of 201 just passed Congress at 1pm.

Here:

Can anyone confirm and say where it passed?

leslierickard 06/29/2010 11:03am

this bill has not come up for vote yet, Sen. Reid is determined to get the entire package passed and may not present a stand alone bill. It is rumored that he is in talks behind the scenes with a few supportive republicans working in ways to offset the spending on it.
    Stabenow is talking now about Sen. Byrd, it is unknown if she will talk about the bill.

leslierickard 06/29/2010 11:04am

She is discussing the bill now.
    www.cspan.org
    go to livetv/radio and it is cspan2

Dottie 06/29/2010 5:52pm

no it was not…sad sad day! We the people, The Unemployed americans need to remember this November 2010 and November 2012. Vote independent and do not vote for any incumbents…show them that we do have a voice and that we do matter…we should be more important than bailouts for wallstreet and other countries.VoteVoteVoteVoteVoteVoteVoteVoteVoteVote in November!

• jereme28 06/29/2010 11:03am

My heart goes out to all of you, and keep your heads up. In my case I am totally confused, and this cut-off came as a complete suprise. I received a letter recently stating I was elgible until Oct., and the teleserve automated service tells me I have 6,000 dollars available. I know right? Either way, I lost my job due to an incompetent, envious, worthless, union contracted competitor telling lies about me violating safety regulations, which was argued and debunked, and that coward wouldnt even witness against me. IT WAS WRONGFUL TERMINATION!!! In Illinois I do not have any legal protection from this, and now it looks like I do not have employment insurance. I have always paid my taxes and furthermore I have always voted republican, NEVER AGAIN. FUCK ILLINOIS AND FUCK AMERICA!! I am never payin a dime ever again to these CSers. FURHTERMORE, FUCK THE BLACKHAWKS AND FUCK THE STANLEY CUP, WHAT ABOUT THE PEOPLE?

jrhill 06/29/2010 1:32pm

don’t vote republican or democrat! vote CONSERVATIVE! Learn about the candidates! This is the only hope to create jobs, empower businesses to hire, create prosperity, save our Republic and restore balance!

Hang in there! Keep your faith! stay POSITIVE!!

icanttakeitanymore 06/29/2010 4:14pm
    I filed my weekly claim on Sunday,and Monday night I found out I wasn’t getting any more checks. I have been laid off since 03/09 and as soon as I was laid off, I immediately started nursing school (in May/09) I have been going full time. And I am 53! I found out 2 days ago that I won’t be getting anymore unemployment (how can this be ok) I panicked, and I am still panicking.My rent is due tomorrow..I have nothing to pay it. Homeless at 53 years old.I have worked since I was 16 and never felt the fear that I feel today. These Senators make this decision saying that it is adding to the deficit. The country borrows every penny from China etc..and they spend and spend. We have been hard working,and we have paid into UI for years ..And they are going to draw the line on gov’t spending on this bill? This is an absolutely heartless decision. And one that is taking hard working Americans (the American’s that have been paying THEIR salaries)and letting them hang out to dry.
  • peytonsplace007 06/29/2010 11:08am

It’s HR 5618 – To Continue Unemployment Programs—just failed in the House. Again mostly b/c it is not paid for. Such BS. The only options are for 1)the House to try again under normal rules (not the expedited way they did today) and hope for the best or for 2) the Senate version to pass. But I have a feeling the same will happen in the Senate if it’s not paid for based on what happened in the House.

The Senate is not in session on Thursday..due to Byrd’s death. It’s not looking good for anything to pass before the recess. Happy f**king 4th of July. I don’t feel like celebrating this country, watching these antics for the past few weeks is disgusting.

jrhill 06/30/2010 1:08am

if either 1) or 2) happens, it still needs to go to the other house of congress to pass…

just keep that in mind..

everyone! keep the faith! This bill is needed to prevent the country from falling off of a cliff… I think that the senators and representatives understand this…

let’s hope it can pass and POTUS can take some time off the golf course to get it signed as soon as possible…

hang in there! but in the meantime, we need to prepare for the worst. Always have a “Plan B” and ramp up your job-hunting! Do NOT give up and do NOT despair! I know it’s hard, I’ve been there..

hang tough

• maciascl 06/29/2010 11:35am

I am emailing both of my state senators as well as all 23 members of the Sentate Finance Commitee to attempt to get this moving. Currently it is stalled in commitee. It can only help & I encourage everyone to do the same!! don’t just sit back and whine, do something about it no matter how useless or small it may feel.

jrhill 06/30/2010 1:09am

good point!

• jereme28 06/29/2010 1:08pm

Let’s get real. How many times do we have to get kicked in the teeth before we get the message. The Republicans do not have a sound argument against extending our benefits. Our Democratic reps have been stating this fact all along. The Republicans want us to suffer, they want to separate the “haves” from the “have nots”. It has nothing to do with the deficit, it has to do with them being hateful, self-righteous, ego-maniacs. Did you not hear that redneck asshole on the news saying" mamma said, mamma said, mamma said not to feed the strays, because they breed, derp da derrrrrrr". The republicans want us to die, or at least resort to crime so we end up in the private prisons that they hold shares, so they can treat us like cattle on our way to the slaughter house. Seriously my peoples, I have seen this coming for a long time, and destroying the economy was their avenue to take us to this slaughterhouse.

Abaratarrr 06/29/2010 1:13pm

Harry Reid is not a republican. der

dartcanyon 06/29/2010 1:36pm

Republican or not this was defeated as such today and the Republicans were blamed. Seems to me that the Democrats have done the same thing lately in the name of Reid. All he cares about right now is his re-election. Hopefully he doesn’t win. Both sides are against us so the beat goes on. Money comes out of thin air for wars, foreign countries, banks and Wall Street but when life long tax paying Americans want some of their misspent money back to help them survive we are endlessly kicked under the buses. Jobs are not better and the economy won’t get much better until next year. Look for jobs?? I have been doing so for 2 years and I have the contacts, etc. to prove this so when people say we are not trying to be fruitful they are full of it.Last week I sent out 53 applications and resume’s and have 2 interviews this week. Hopefully I score a job but in 2 years I have had about 8 interviews. There is a serious case of ageism in this country now and that shoots down all of us over 50.

jrhill 06/29/2010 2:20pm

good luck on your interview! stay POSITIVE!! do not waste your time and frustrations on something that you cannot control.. no matter what happens to this bill, your interview needs to take priority!

Go nail that interview and get that job!! You need to be POSITIVE and full of energy!!

Read this: 2 CORINTHIANS 1:1

Good luck!! Hang in there! and do NOT give up!

andrews1981 06/29/2010 6:26pm

If jereme28 says he’s a republican, then he must be one… as jereme knows everything.

Send Your Senator a Letter