S.3520 - Unemployment Insurance Extension Act of 2010

A bill to provide for an extension of unemployment insurance. view all titles (3)

• Official: A bill to provide for an extension of unemployment insurance. as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Insurance Extension Act of 201 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Insurance Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.

Chris51 06/28/2010 10:21am
+ 13
in reply to bhrodeoaz Jun 26, 2010 3:55pm

Congress that rushed through bailout of WALL STREET in 2008 in a matter of days, cannot bring itself to support even the most meager subsistence for the unemployed workers who are the victims, not the perpetrators, of the economic crisis. While the White House and Congress wrangle over the smallest of subsistence measures for the jobless, neither party nor the corporate elite as a whole propose to do anything to provide jobs for the unemployed. The Wall Street Journal reported that American corporations have increased their cash reserves to $1.84 TRILLION, the HIGHEST figure in history. In other words, big business and the banks, after an unprecedented bailout by the public treasury, are hoarding the funds that could put millions back to work. The cash reserves of major corporations have jumped 26 percent in one year, the largest percentage increase in nearly 60 years. The cash reserves of working people, and particularly the unemployed, have not been so fortunate… change.org

bhrodeoaz 06/26/2010 3:55pm

I sure hope that this bill does not get stalled in committees, or the house or senate. To many people are going to or have already lost benefits due to the failure of HR 4213. This bill needs to be accelerated through committee and both the house and senate. Republicans have stated that they would pass a stand alone version of the unemployment benefits. So if this gets to them it will be a major make or break come november. I have made multiple post regarding this bill to stir up support. Pass it on to as many people as possible.

sheradawn 06/28/2010 5:40am

PLEASE BRING BACK THE EXTENSION. I have a bachelor’s degree, I have worked full time since graduating and was laid off last year in January. I have applied for at least 45 job openings. I had 5 call backs, telling me I am overqualified. The only job I could find, pays $10 per hour, and part time. Unfortunately, I would be spending more in childcare for my 3 year old son than I would be making. Without the unemployment, I can not pay my bills (which are standard, no extras), nor can I buy the amount of groceries needed. My hubby works full time, and we are barely making it. We pay our mortgage on time, every month since we bought our home 1 year before I was laid off. Yet, still we make too much for any kind of assistance, we can not even refinance our home. Only option now is facing foreclosure if benefits run out. I have tried everything, I could not even get financial aid to go back to school, nor did I qualify for a grant. HELP

msdonna2148 06/28/2010 10:07am

Before they go on yet another paid vacation, ALL senators better wake up and realize the pain they are inflicting on so many Americans by their bickering, finger pointing and sheer self serving moves.
Put forth a stand alone unemployment extension bill without any attachments to fight over and get it passed NOW, BEFORE JULY 4th.
It amazes me how easily and quickly they hand out billions and trillions to other countries (most that hate us), useless organizations, pork projects and corporations yet they can’t help the people who have generated that money for many years and will continue to do so.
Shame on the senate.

Kaly33 06/28/2010 4:27am

This bill must be reviewed and passed immediately. Now is not the time to worry if someone is taking advantage of the program. There are many other areas to review for that if someone had the guts to tackle. However, not to get off topic, Companies are still laying off. There are no where near enough jobs for those unemployed. I’m willing to take that pay cut. My home is for sale but unable to sell, because there are soooo many foreclosures that are half the cost- People! Can’t you think ahead!? There is going to be a large trickle down effect. This has the effect to last many years and if something does not happen soon, I do not see it as being recoverable! Unemployment does not cover most other bills, but it can, hopefully save someone’s home. Me personally, I have a very large amount of equity, because my home is half paid for. I am about to loose it! I have young kids! WHAT IS WRONG WITH OUR POLITICIANS!!!!! I AM PLEADING!!!! PLEASE BRING THE EXTENSIONS BACK!!!!!

dankennedy73 06/27/2010 7:23am
in reply to bhrodeoaz Jun 26, 2010 3:55pm

I’m with you! To many people are suffering bad enough as it is.

Houselogic 06/28/2010 3:41pm
in reply to Lynea123 Jun 28, 2010 1:07pm

It Ends when China doesn’t have OUR jobs. If you want it to end have Republicans/Democrats stop allowing American companies to out source. As well as stopping illeagals from crossing the border. This has nothing to about spending, it’s about the millions of people with out work. Senate and Congress have got raise after raise after raise. While Americans lose job after job after job.

Catawbafelines 06/30/2010 6:40am
in reply to dankennedy73 Jun 27, 2010 7:23am

My unemployment benefits have run out. How are you suppose to put food on the table? I look for a job everyday and talk with friends that I know. Maybe we need to stop issuing work visas to forgein residents.

arosebunch22 06/28/2010 2:08pm
in reply to vlobato9817 Jun 28, 2010 2:04pm

it is not about sitting and finding the perfect spot on the couch!! You are what makes people on unemployment look bad! We actually need the help not so we can sit on the couch it is so that we can keep our lights on stay in our houses and feed our family’s!

dennypccc1 06/28/2010 12:04pm
in reply to bhrodeoaz Jun 26, 2010 3:55pm

Yes I agree, the economy is not ready to put many people out on the streets, there will be a lot of angry Americans on the 4th of July. Hey why do pay raises for our congress go thru so quick, and we never hear about it. These guys have nice incomes, health insurance hey lets put up another bill to take a percentage of thier paychecks and add it to the unemployment pool. PASS THE THING ALREADY and get off your jacked up horses

BigCat 06/28/2010 10:07am
in reply to bhrodeoaz Jun 26, 2010 3:55pm

With Sen. Byrd dying today and the media-friendly topic of the disaster in the Gulf loading up the airwaves, I’m losing faith in S.3520 getting much press or TV time before the Senate takes their ‘vacation’. What’s a few million unemployed Americans worth in ratings compared to an ex Klu Klux Klan congressman dying, or repetitive video of an oil soaked pelican. The EUC topic may be sinking to the bottom of too many priority lists :-(

tmo520 06/27/2010 10:48am
in reply to bhrodeoaz Jun 26, 2010 3:55pm

bhrodeoaz – i will post to my FB wall and try to get this out there to as many people as possible. additionally, i like the idea that someone posted on HR 4213 about the 4th of july angle….. i’m going to try to contact the newspaper/tv stations about this out here in CA.

satdog50 07/04/2010 9:27am
in reply to bhrodeoaz Jun 26, 2010 3:55pm

Tier 5 is absolutely needed by ALL Unemployed. Stop the games on the deadlines when there are only a few this Bill will help. Remove the deadlines and incorporate new TIERS 5, 6 for at least one year for American Unemployed who are suffering. Your ODJFS need to be contacted on their practices of stopping the unemployed not to be able to file claims this is wrong it will not provide true unemployemnt rate numbers in this country. Do something right for a change you know there is job issue in this country if 99 weeeks can not find work and the 26, 43 weeks can not find work why are you penalizing the unemployed who completely exhausted thier claims . Get a Tier 5 , 6 BILL.

smithtownNY 06/28/2010 3:52pm

My entire department was laid off in January, I don’t want to be homeless by August. Please hurry and pass this extension. My profession? I sell home and auto insurance to people buying new homes! Gee what are my changes of finding a position before the economy improves? I will lose everything.

bhrodeoaz 06/27/2010 2:19pm
in reply to tmo520 Jun 27, 2010 10:48am

i contacted most of the tv stations here in phx about the new bill, no one even heard of it. But they all know about it now and i am hoping again that the republicans quit dicking around with it and accelerate it thru committee. I have also forwarded it to alot of people i know on youtube so its interesting how fast word spreads. I found one video from a guy on youtube. He tells it like it is in his CASE, as every case is different here is the link:

passitalready 06/29/2010 2:49pm
in reply to Lynea123 Jun 28, 2010 1:07pm

THE REASON “WE” don’t have the money is because “WE” spent it bailing out the very CROOKS that are responsible for this CATASTROPHE? Simple truth is, I am a VICTIM of this fiasco and now being treated as if I am Responsible by My Government and My Fellow Americans!

I would love to trade places with anyone who has a job, home, food, AND A PAYCHECK TO SUPPORT IT ALL. ANY OFFERS? DIDN’T THINK SO!!! Don’t cast stones when you live in a glass house… Soon what “We” can’t afford because we were Victimized BY ALL AMERICANS, “We” will be forced to take from “YOU”. AND WE WILL BE CASTING THE STONES, JUST AS YOU HAVE, AND YOUR WORLD WILL COME CRUMBLING DOWN , JUST AS OURS HAS.

Will YOU then be screaming of the injustice of it all, that YOU are the victim here, that YOUR Government and YOUR Fellow Americans are treating YOU as if YOU are Responsible??? I guarantee it!

jereme28 06/30/2010 10:13pm

The truth of the matter is that the Republican party is being extremely envious. Envy is not the same thing as jealousy. Jealousy is just a thought or emotion. Envy is taking action against another which has what you do not, and envious people are soo weak that they have to tear others down due to their inability to build themselves up. Envy is extremely dangerous, and it is always obvious. The republicans want the Obama adminstration to fail so badly that they will allow us to suffer, in order to teach us a lesson and force us to submit to them in November. The republican party doesnt care about our votes anyway, they represent the wealthy, the oil industry, wall street, and the war profiteers, they have nothing to lose here. It just shows how inhumane their political agenda truly is. I still believe in the Obamam administration, and I believe in Democratic reps that have introduced bills, made the speeches for us. We cannot give up on them, the alternative is hopeless.

JonathanSauchuk 06/28/2010 5:59pm
in reply to vlobato9817 Jun 28, 2010 2:04pm

thats just stupid!!! I need my benefits to buy gas for car, feed my 1 yr old, and pay rent while I LOOK for a job. Not sit around and watch tv on the couch. People like you are why this bill is not getting passed

mek8630 06/30/2010 2:22pm
in reply to bhrodeoaz Jun 26, 2010 3:55pm

I am sure you don’t need the income anymore than I do. I am losing EVRYTHING. I cant afford to by my baby diapers,we are going without food.I cant afford to getthe plates on my car renewed.I can’t buy gas.I can’t find a job.I have turned in so many resumes I can’t even begn to remeber who all I have and haven’t turned one into.But yet nobody has called me for even an interview.I just don’t understand.Even if I were safe and was in the ones that WOULD get it,I wouldn’t want the bill to pass.It is not fair that the government is trying to just kill us off and not giving any help.I have paid into the p.o.s.government my whole adult life just like everyone else.I say its our money and we should be getting it.I don’t want to paythem up there anymore salary and I want my MONEY.They will see the bad come out as soon as I run out of options and cant buy milk for my baby or food for my wifeandI.THAT will be the day.Together we can make a difference.Alone we are nothing.

Bewildered 06/28/2010 7:03am

I was laid off 6 months ago due to that my position was “being eliminated”. At first, I attempted to find work through CalJOBS in the EDD because it is a requirement for UI Benefits. For 2 mths and over 100 applications later I received not a single phone call or inquiry. I have used alternate methods to find employment and I have had about 5 interviews (all without EDD’s help). Last week I finally got a call for a second interview and I cannot express how BADLY I want to get it. It pays $10,000 less than I made in 2009, but at this point, I am willing to take any kind of job for any kind of money, but there is no guarantee I will ge it. I am sick and tired of having to pray to the forces that be for extensions. It is INCONCEIVABLE to me that now that the economy is much worse than 2 years ago it is even being debated! Pass this bill, hopefully I wont need it, but others will. America’s fate is in your hands and on the passing of this very bill. By the people for the people.

NoneYa 06/29/2010 7:24am
in reply to bhrodeoaz Jun 26, 2010 3:55pm

That Harry reid is the culprit. He has something stuck up his ass. I don’t blame Republicans alone in this. Both sides are to blame. Nearly 44 % of the Senators are millionaires, when less than 1% of US population are. The rest get paid handsomely with tax payers money. You think they care about you? Then you are mistaken. It’s not the fat cats in Wall Street that created this problem, they are the fat cats in Washington that did. So they must be charged and brought to justice if you ask me. Lobbying, campaign donations so on and so forth- just another name for bribery which is a crime any way you look at it. They are the ones making our lives miserable. I suggest even bringing those firing squad from Utah and line them up in Capital Hill and take care of them. No one misses them. Who cares about their familie as they don’t seem to care about ours.

doraflood 06/28/2010 2:11pm

As a registered voter – and an older, laid off white collar worker looking to jump to the next tier of unemployment next week — I strongly urge a vote on a simplified unemployment extension bill before Congress goes on vacation. Congress can do it if they want to. Without those payments, in weeks, they will come for my car and I will no longer be able to look for a job or even work at Walmart part time. That will affect loans and the car industry. Then my cat will be abandoned for lack of money for food. Animal welfare organizations will begin to be even more stretched. I won’t be able to pick up my medications for Type 2 Diabetes. And health care costs for the indigent will go up in the state. Other people have other priorities for those funds. You see, it’s not just money for me — it’s money for everybody. One day, someone will hire me. But for now, I will remember who did what for me in my time of need — and that will be the person I vote for when he/she needs me!

Loriann123 06/29/2010 6:30am

Most of us that are unemployed are so due to no fault of our own! We have been searching but for every job opening hundreds are responding!

As for those who think we do not want to work, perhaps they should attempt to find a job in todays economy. I’m sure most, if not all, that are unemployed would appreciate any job they can get! We are not “holding out” for a “pay raise”. In fact, we’d take a pay cut just to see a steady income once again!

To the ones that said we are drug addicts, go ahead, drug test us! Most of us do not use drugs. The most you’d find in this body is high blood pressure medications!

To the ones that state we are hobos. We will become homeless if we can not pay our rent or mortgages!

It’s been suggested to hire us for the mess in the gulf… PLEASE DO! It’ would take our minds off our desperate situation, even if only for a spell! You get me there, I’ll go!

Please, Please throw us a lifeline! And please, do so before your 2 week vacation!

gusto500 06/28/2010 12:11pm

This bill being stalled really hurts alot of us Americans. I live in Jacksonville, Fl. where our state ranges from 11.9 to 13.9% uneployment rate. I can asure you that there is not one comgressperson sitting at home tonight wondering where they are going to get the money to feed their kids. It amazes me that the goverment jumps to help 3rd world countries, and will stall on a bill that will help feed it’s own people. I can only hope that our comments are being heard by the congress. Maybe if someone would make sure they know how bad it really is out here they would get off their butts and get a bill passed that will help the unemployed like us.

Jess01869 07/05/2010 1:04am

I know! I got evicted June 18th. Going on week 5 of no benefits, didn’t get to Tier 2. Wasn’t able to renew my stickers on my car, pay my insurance, and even my license is suspended since I wasn’t able to pay my monthly $200 surcharge, and I had to apply for emergency food stamps yesterday! I had to move to a new town and have a little less than 2 weeks to turn in $550 for rent and a $300 deposit,transfer utilities in my name, and pay a phone bill on the 12th to keep my phone on. Among the places I applied at is Walgreens and they haven’t even called me yet. My Wells Fargo account over drafted by $30 and closed since I couldn’t pay it in time on top of all that. UH! This is crazy and now a ‘War spending package’!? What is going on with this country!? We’re the ones putting money BACK INTO the economy with our unemployment benefits. Here we all worked our asses off, paid taxes for years just to lose our jobs by no fault of our own and then get forgotten by the senate and left to suffer.

Rolanda 06/28/2010 12:43pm

http://www.city-data.com/forum/unemployment/997484-prospects-unemployment-cobra-extensions-part-2-a-95.html Here, it says that the stand alone bill will include 100% financing of EB until December 31st, but no more $25 a week stimulus.

zen_maker 07/04/2010 8:31pm
in reply to sammy88 Jun 30, 2010 3:07pm

I know, they call us lazy, but look at them, going on vacation and leaving millions without food money.

Tres0607 06/28/2010 11:51am

I did a google search on the EB part of the extension and it would include extending it through December as well if they could get it to pass…

Jonascord 07/11/2010 11:23am

This bill is dead. We are all going to be out on the street, much to the amusement of Congress. Food stamps. Cooked over a camp fire? The Republican Senators want to prove that they are “tough” on Federal spending, conveniently pretending that they are not as guilty as the Democrats. (Anyone remember prescription subsidies?) The Democrats are getting an early Christmas when they can show that Country Club Republicans don’t care about the Little Guy. Yet Reid won’t put forward a stand alone bill. 1,800,000 people are destitute, today. They will be on the street, kids and all. Most are older, white, and still wondering just what the hell happened. Another 200,00 next week. Another 200,000 the week after. There are 9,000,000 plus who will never work again.

You all in Congress must be VERY proud.

jpgh 06/28/2010 11:00am

This is just ridiculous! This should be PRIORITY #1 today and all of this week! They are playing their little political games with the lives of hard working American people!

They’re so quick to bail out banks and every 3rd world country that is in need of immediate help, but their own people can suffer. Completely DISGUSTING!

Send Your Senator a Letter