S.3706 - Americans Want to Work Act

A bill to extend unemployment insurance benefits and cut taxes for businesses to create hiring incentives, and for other purposes. view all titles (4)

• Official: A bill to extend unemployment insurance benefits and cut taxes for businesses to create hiring incentives, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Americans Want to Work Act as introduced.
  • Short: Americans Want to Work Act as introduced.

VLeichsenring 08/08/2010 8:59am
    Monday, Sep 13, 2010

2:30 pm.: Convene and begin a period of morning business.

GDCal 08/08/2010 9:27am

Tx.

• HopefromCA 08/08/2010 9:02am

GDCal
    Thanks for forwarding the information about what qualifies someone for a new claim in California. I had read the $900 limit and the $1200 limit but did not know how they came up with those figures until you forward the information in your posts. I have been talking to others that have interviewed for jobs recently that goes to the same Technology school I do and the response is mostly " You are overqualified". In my opinion when a potential employer says that I read between the lines and see it as being for other reasons that they are not legally allowed to say.

• Abaratarrr 08/08/2010 10:58am

“On the steps of the Federal Hall on August 12th, Thursday this coming week, from noon to 1:00 PM, a group of 99er’a are planning to hold a rally in the place that George Washington took his Oath of Office and the financial capital of the U.S.”

maybe some of you guys that are close could put some adds onto craigslist to organize car pools.

• Jorath13 08/08/2010 8:22pm

• attackgypsy 08/09/2010 1:53am

Just to dissuade anybody from badmouthing Sen. Stabenow, she is not up for re-election until 2012.

jgallop 08/09/2010 4:50am

Bad mouthing Stabenow??? I live in Michigan and have witnessed her and useless Carl Levin watch jobs leave the state for years, also paying businesses to outsource. Letting illegals come into the state and take the jobs that are left.. Get the facts bozo

attackgypsy 08/09/2010 4:57am

First of all, I don’t wear white face paint, a rubber nose, have red hair that points out the side, or big floppy shoes.

Second, someone mentioned that she was introducing this because she was up for re-election. That is incorrect. She is NOT currently up for re-election. That IS a FACT! That is the badmouthing I was referring to.

Now, if you want to get into a flame war, I’m game. But I’d rather either do something better with my time, or just somewhere else. Because this issue is too important to do this here.

kc3295 08/09/2010 6:51am

Thank you…let’s keep it positive…and pleae people, check out your facts before posting…if it is an opinion…please state as such. Let’s not create panic or discord. This is a lifeline we all need…let’s be supportive.

Thanks…and thanks attachgypsy for your post.

Marcy 08/09/2010 10:25am

Thank you.

kc3295 08/09/2010 7:02am

Thank you!

• sassysally50 08/09/2010 5:26am

A little tibit of info I found on another site:

How long the federal government paid EMERGENCY unemployment insurance to address previous spikes in joblessness:

1970’s: Benefits in effect for: 46 months (184 weeks)

1980s: mid 1982 through mid 1985 Benefits in effect for: 33 months (132 weeks)
    Peak rate: 10.8% Rate when benefits expired: 7.4%

1990s: late 1991 through mid 1994 Benefits in effect for: 29 months (116 weeks)
    Peak rate: 7.8% Rate when benefits expired: 6.4%

2000s: 2002 through early 2004 Benefits in effect for: 25 months (100 weeks)
    Peak rate: 6.3% Rate when benefits expired: 5.6%

kc3295 08/09/2010 6:49am

This is really cool information. Thanks!

Jorath13 08/09/2010 7:13am

Source on that site Sassy? I could use it to kick the butts of some people complaining we 99ers have gotten more unemployment than any other time in history…

Marcy 08/09/2010 10:34am

I think she got it from here: http://unemployed-friends.forumotion.com/unemployment-chit-chat-f1/184-weeks-of-ui-in-the-70-s-so-what-s-the-problem-t14256.htm

See the first post. In the 6th posting down is the link where it originally hailed from:

NoGoodOnesLeft 08/09/2010 12:09pm

I could be wrong but I don’t believe that is how many weeks people received. It is how long the extensions were in effect for – ie. how long it was from when they first starting giving an extension until they stopped giving them (the deadline).

Marcy 08/09/2010 1:11pm

Ah, I did not think about that when I read her posting. You are right, that is not the ammount of weeks that could be claimed, but the amount of time the extensions were in effect. Mea culpa, I was too happy, too soon.

VLeichsenring 08/09/2010 6:06pm

NoGoodOnesLeft You are right!
    It just means this is how long emergency benefits were in affect. It doesn’t mean this is how many weeks of benefits people got.
    Sometimes people don’t read with understanding.

• GDCal 08/09/2010 8:11am

Has anyone applied for food stamps in CA? A few questions if so:

Do they call your landlord to verify rent? Not because I would be hiding anything, but because I would prefer they not know!

Do they call any former employers? Again, I would not be hiding anything, but those agencies I am registered with might take me off their list if they knew I was on food stamps.

No, I have not yet applied for them. Just curious. I keep thinking a job (temp) will come through so I don’t have to do that. Not looking too likely at this juncture.

Thank you!

MrsChang 08/09/2010 8:44am

They don’t verify rent or contact employers, but they look at bank statements and IDs, and take your picture and fingerprints.

attackgypsy 08/10/2010 12:58am

Well, I’m not in CA. I’m in CT. But some of the rules are the same.

They do need to verify your rent. Make a photocopy of your lease and bring it for them. This way, they won’t have to send your landlord a rent verification letter. Which can get embarrassing.

Bring your last 3 bank statements. They will need them. Especially if they have copies of your last 3 rent checks with them.

Bring a photo ID.

Bring copies of ANY household bills you have. And yes, cable is now considered a household bill.

MrsChang 08/10/2010 9:31am

That’s right, they did ask for proof of rent payment, for which I provided a printout of a cancelled check. They didn’t call the landlord.

I didn’t provide utility bills because our rent covers utilities, and they didn’t ask for phone bills. Strangely enough, they uncovered an interest payment on a rental deposit which the landlord has to provide every year, by law. They sent me a letter saying I didn’t disclose this bank account, so I had to get an explanation from the property manager (on a “to whom it may concern” letter) on why such payment was made, and that they are a real estate business, not a bank.

Jorath13 08/10/2010 1:32pm

Its because in California its the law for rental agencies if they hold a deposit you provided, must generate interest on that amount – which can be applied, of course, to the move-out costs you generate.

MrsChang 08/10/2010 3:42pm

We all know that, except for the Food Stamps people. Maybe the landlords of the other FS recipients do not pay them the interest due them.

• sassysally50 08/09/2010 10:34am

I forgot to post the link from my last post ..Here it is
    Link:

184 weeks of UI in the 70’s so what’s the problem?

kc3295 08/09/2010 12:30pm

Found the article…good research, Girlfriend…historical ammunition for our eamil, fax blast!!!

kc3295 08/09/2010 12:31pm

Okay, Group, just know that I can spell and type and I will quit taking up space with corrections…LOL

• Marcy 08/09/2010 10:54am

I also posted the information on s.1699. It’s great info, sassy.

Marcy 08/09/2010 8:48pm

And posted the mea culpa there, also.

• kc3295 08/09/2010 12:06pm

I spoke with a friend of mine earlier today and she told me (I have not verified) that on the Yahoo news site someone dais that if they pass this bill it will destroy Social Security in the year 2013.

I think what she is referring to is not our bill but some obscured, not yet written bill, that would put the age of SS to 70…anyone know anything about this. I am not ready for Social Security, bu this kind of misinformation is not good for us!

Send Your Senator a Letter