S.3706 - Americans Want to Work Act

A bill to extend unemployment insurance benefits and cut taxes for businesses to create hiring incentives, and for other purposes. view all titles (4)

• Official: A bill to extend unemployment insurance benefits and cut taxes for businesses to create hiring incentives, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Americans Want to Work Act as introduced.
  • Short: Americans Want to Work Act as introduced.

• Abaratarrr 08/05/2010 12:14pm

The senate was still in session this week If we perter the hell out of harry reid he might allow for a vote this week. This is all up to harry and Nancy they need to hear from us

Reid’s numbers

202-224-7327
    775-686-5750
    775-882-REID (7343)
    702-388-5020

please be nice we want them to want to help us.

The house is comming back for a special session next week so pelosi could also allow for a vote in the house next week were it would be guaranteed to pass, we need to hammers Reid and Peloci’s phones, please call reid’s office today their is not much time left then they are gone till September.

They could pass this now if they wanted too,

• VLeichsenring 08/05/2010 12:22pm

Hello all you fellow 99ners. Unemployed going on 3 years now and haven’t had a dime of income since Feb.
    My hope is that all of us will get through this together. We deserve better than this. We need to keep up the fight until every last one of us has a decent paying job with benefits.

• Abaratarrr 08/05/2010 12:28pm

according to the very nice girl that answers pelosi’s phone they are aware that the last extension did not help the people that have extended all of their ties and she is not aware a bill in the house that adds more weeks. I told her about the senate bill then left a message asking that she introduce a companion bill for 3706 and allow for a vote during next weeks special session.

We can not let them turn this into a game of gotcha and talking points that lasts until after the November elections. 4213 passed the senate march 10 and then sat on pelosi’s desk for over 2 months we can not let that happen again, the need to vote on companion legislation next week, It is guaranteed to pass the house is she will allow a vote.

please leave her a message at
    (415) 556-4862 & (202) 225-4965.
    Please be nice we want them to want to help us

Reid and pelosi need to hear from all of us today and everyday, They need to get the ball rolling now.

Abaratarrr 08/05/2010 12:37pm

I found it odd that Pelosi’s aid had not heard 0f s3706 yet, I do not think they are getting very many phones calls about this. Please people get on the phone it only takes a minute and it means so much to so many people.

WasMiddleClass 08/05/2010 4:46pm

Maybe all those amendments to H.R.4213 had something to do with the delay?

• Marcy 08/05/2010 2:43pm

I am so glad to see this bill! I’ll definitely be on the phone.

• kim2009 08/05/2010 3:55pm

I am amazed (and thankful) to see this bill introduced, I didn’t think it would ever happen. I could hug Sen. Stabenow! I’ve been unemployed 3 years as of next month, my last tier of benefits ended the last week of March. My family has been wonderful letting me and my daughters live with them – but they are being stretched to the breaking point. I’d rather have a job than more unemployment – but as we all know – they are hard to come by. I did get a second interview for a great job last week and that one is still a possibility – but either way, I hope this bill passes quickly! It’s needed by so many.

• WasMiddleClass 08/05/2010 4:40pm

Anyone that really is a 99er knows who fought against every extension since the beginning. Though the Democrats leave much to be desired these days, the Republicans were the ones that tied to stop EVERY extension, from the very beginning of this.

There is now a bill, that includes all states at 7.5% or above, though the early reports were that it would be 10% or above.

If they wanted support from states like mine, CT, they had to lower the requirement. Now they have it.

The facts are that the unemployed in almost every state are in big trouble now, as they were earlier.

WasMiddleClass 08/05/2010 4:41pm

Senator Dodd said: “Our country continues to fight its way out of recession, and despite the progress we have made, many families in Connecticut and across the country are struggling to find jobs at the same time that their unemployment insurance is running out. While we continue to work to get our economy back on track, we must also support American workers who need their unemployment insurance to pay rent and mortgage bills, put food on their tables, and care for their children. We must act now to pass this bill that will create jobs and provide security for those who have been hit hardest by this recession.”

attackgypsy 08/06/2010 2:36am

Dodd is just another corporate shill who doesn’t listen to the people who voted for him. Just like the Republican wanna-be Lieberman.

Good thing he’ll be out in November. He’s not running. Although the reason why I wouldn’t wish on anyone.

northsidetonyc 12/10/2010 10:24am

@kc3295. Good words. You’re so very right.

• nancym 08/05/2010 5:08pm

Targeted petition for this bill at change.org:

Please sign!

Jorath13 08/05/2010 8:19pm

Number 161 to sign!

GDCal 08/06/2010 9:28am

nancym: do you know if i can type in my name as ‘anonymous’? i am a privacy advocate and never put my real name onine. i don’t mind listing my email, as i have one dedicated to political purposes. i want to ‘show’ my signature, just not my real name. wasn’t sure how that would work. thanks.

nancym 08/06/2010 10:30am

Not sure, but probably. I assume you mean in your OC account setup? I’ve use initials for account setups sometimes. Probably have to do a new account here, and you’d be most likely competing with others who already may have used that word for a yahoo.com or similar account. You could try “anonymous” with added numbers or whatever and see what happens. On the other hand, some accounts, like Yahoo services, cross-link with their database of email accounts, so in that case it might not be considered a verifiable email address. I’m not an expert in this area; it’s a security thing; maybe someone else here knows more about that. You can also avoid some tracking by using false data, like listing your location or age as somethng dfferent, foiling systems like Spokeo, which rely on matching up that sort of thing for their visitors doing searches.

GDCal 08/06/2010 11:04am

ok, thanks. i will submit using something other than the ‘real’ name. see what happens.

• GDCal 08/05/2010 5:09pm

Does anyone know where to find that chart that compares unemployment benefits by country? It was circulating in the s.1699 forum at one time, but I have no idea how to find it. I believe it showed that the U.S. ranked very close to the bottom of all countries.

• HopefromCA 08/05/2010 5:58pm

To All
    Great posts. Keep up the good work and thanks for forwarding all the current information about this bill on this website.

• HopefromCA 08/05/2010 6:32pm

Are they trying to keep businesses from being created?

Portland lemonade stand runs into health inspectors, needs $120 license to operate

• HopefromCA 08/05/2010 6:45pm

Congress really needs to start creating jobs!

Food stamp use hit record 40.8m in May

attackgypsy 08/06/2010 5:02am

We got ours. 367 bucks a month worth.

We wouldn’t have gotten anything, except that my wife is disabled, because we don’t have any kids.

Hell, she’s been disabled for so long, they don’t even bother sending her to their doctors when they do their re-evals. They just tell us they’re doing it, and then 3 months later, we get a letter saying she’s good for 3 more years.

• HopefromCA 08/05/2010 6:56pm

I wonder where is the money going to come from to save these jobs?

Pelosi says House vote next week on jobs bill

nancym 08/06/2010 9:35am

Don’t quote me, but I think I remember reading that there were some offsets in that bill, something about not renewing some tax credits for the wealthy, or something like that. Not sure if the whole thing is offset, probably not. But I don’t think they could have got the Repub votes or blue dog votes for passage without at least some offsets. I’ll have to research that a bit I guess.

• WasMiddleClass 08/05/2010 6:59pm

There are many fights American citizens need to fight out there these days.

The 99ers, and those unemployed that never even got that, need to put all of their energy into this fight to survive a little while longer.

Jobs are the ultimate problem though.

I see nothing from either party that will solve that in anytime less than many years.

The Republicans just seem to go back to the Bush policies, that sure seem to have put us here, and the Democrats just seem to have no real spine now.

NO real solutions from anyone, is what I see.

THIS bill is all the unemployed can fight for at the moment that will provide a little relief anytime in the near future.

We need to win this one!

• kc3295 08/06/2010 4:09am

Come on and put the bill online…need to see the s as that is waht Georgia deals with…more than likely 80.

Be positive folks…even though this was slow in coming and will be a fight to the end…stay upbeat and keep an open mind…working together we can accomplish great things. Let’s not attack each other as was the case on S1966. That serves no good purpose…

Thanks…

• shellcia 08/06/2010 5:16am

God Bless Al, family and friends. Please read this letter that is being sent out to our Congress. What a story it tells!!http://unemployed-friends.forumotion.com/campaign-and-support-legislation-f79/in-memory-of-al-please-send-this-out-t14164.htm#215169

• 55UE 08/06/2010 5:21am

Calls made today to Reid, Pelosi, Schumer, Gilibrand and Engel. in support of the bill and no recess until it is brought to the floor! Hit the phones!

• GDCal 08/06/2010 9:21am

I really have my doubt whether I can hang on until November. Even then, if it’s passed by then, the State of CA took SIX WEEKS to gear up to disperse funds after the last extension.

I think it is SUCH a shame that we are left to scrabble for pennies and food, with enormous gaps in benefits coverage. We all know the score.

That is why I was asking for that chart that ranks uenmployment benefits by country, and since America ranks at or near the bottom of that list, that would be a great PR tool for the unemployed to use with the media. It circulated for a time, but I have tried all manner of search terms and cannot find it. It was on the S. 1699 forum that I first saw it. If anyone has it, or knows what I am talking about, please post!

kim2009 08/06/2010 12:11pm

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/lab_une_ben_rep-labor-unemployment-benefit-replacement Is this what you are looking for?

GDCal 08/07/2010 7:03am

Thanks. No, it was a different one, but this is the next best!

Send Your Senator a Letter