S.3706 - Americans Want to Work Act

A bill to extend unemployment insurance benefits and cut taxes for businesses to create hiring incentives, and for other purposes. view all titles (4)

• Official: A bill to extend unemployment insurance benefits and cut taxes for businesses to create hiring incentives, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Americans Want to Work Act as introduced.
  • Short: Americans Want to Work Act as introduced.

• NoGoodOnesLeft 08/05/2010 5:03am

Finally they introduce a bill to help the exhaustees. Too bad that it is probably too late for a lot of people. It will probably be at least 3 months before anybody will see any money from it what with the Senate bickering and then the states delaying payments.

Dazzler 12/18/2010 2:12am

@NGOL, What do you mean.."Finally they introduce a bill to help the exhaustees????

Dazzler 12/18/2010 2:31am

Duh, don’t I look stupid, asking NGOL about what bill and I didn’t even notice the Date !!! talking about this Bill…LOL from 4-months ago

• Spam Comment

• kc3295 08/05/2010 7:12am

Bless you Senator Stabenow. We who have been out for months, bless you!

stokes1963 08/09/2010 1:35pm

God sent Senator Stabenow and its up to us to Get the message out:

Fight Washington Corruption

I’m a 99er in Texas and I’m desperate! HELP on Tuesday, 10 Aug 2010 at Noon

Tier 5 folks, I need your help FAST.
    Do you have any readers in Dallas, Fort Worth, Mid-Cities area of Texas?

…Our Message: Washington corruption is what put 99ers in the position we’re in today. They’ve snubbed the people they reduced to poverty. The longest-unemployed-workers did not create this depression, Washington did; with failure to regulate the banks, health industry, and corporations.

The EVENT is Tuesday:“Fight Washington Corruption Action” Here are the event details: Congressman Kenny Marchant District Office (Republican), 9901 East Valley Ranch Parkway, Suite 3035 Irving, TX 75063.

JOIN ME plus invite others to sign up for event, use this link:

tx2step 08/10/2010 6:49am

Tx here:

Hope it gets some news coverage – Kenny Marchant is for the peeps.

satdog50 08/10/2010 7:24am

20 weeks is not enough I am sorry too many have been waiting 20 weeks or more. It needs to be 52 weeks at least in order for these people to find work in this still poor economy. Until the unemployed stand up this is not greed they need help the governemnt caused this issue why not help the ones who put these officials in with big salaries, vacations etc. for once it is only right. Senator you would show true support of the people if you would look at the true numbers and change this bill to 52 weeks by the time a 20 week bill passes if it does through blocks and delays by holding this over the unemployed heads as before they will fall deeper in trouble show you want to help them them you are aware of the past issues and current and you really want to help! Enough of the games !

ojosdelangel77 08/23/2010 10:21am

Im also in Texas and it is PATHETIC how difficult it has been to find a decent job since I was laid off.

kc3295 08/23/2010 10:58am

I completely understand…come to Georgia and get more of the same….

rhian116 09/20/2010 7:10am

I’m in Texas, too, and even living near the Metroplex hasn’t helped at all. It doesn’t help things any when you’re needing questions answered and you get a bunch of uppity self-righteous jerks at the Tele-center half answering you, telling you to shut up, talking down to you. I am so tired of being unemployed and having people look down on me.

ojosdelangel77 08/23/2010 10:21am

Yes. Senator. Thank you very much. I am glad someone is looking out for the rest of the world that isn’t already wealthy.

TimOregon 08/30/2010 8:22am

Lets get this done ASAP.

jenny2010 12/10/2010 2:07pm

Yes, God Bless all of the Senators working to help the working class.

• 55UE 08/05/2010 8:07am

It’s great to hear that someone has finally taken the initiative to help those who have been left out in the cold.

sassysally50 08/10/2010 11:22am

Don’t think it’s going to happen anytime soon ..This is a election year and their trying to buy your vote..IMO

mullerken 08/24/2010 2:50am

Fine…. whatever it takes

kc3295 08/24/2010 7:16am

Totally agree…we need patience right now and we need writing campaigns and phone campaigns!

• 55UE 08/05/2010 8:15am
    + 14

Americans Want to Work Act” Introduced by Senator Stabenow… Gives extension of 20 weeks 99ers plus business incentives to especially hire 99ers . Call in to demand that House be called back to DC to return the week of 8/9 to 8/13 from recess to pass this bill!!!

See link below for details:

• kc3295 08/05/2010 9:13am

Okay, get your fingers ready; look up the Senate Finance Committee Memebers and start writing. If your Senators are on that committee…get with it. We, the 99er’s have lots of numbers and need everyone to get working. These wonderful Democrats who sponsored this bill should be praised. At least some folks in this Country care.

GDCal 08/06/2010 9:24am

Better to list the names and contact info…people will act faster that way…or a link?

• CJKell 08/05/2010 9:27am

I AM A 99ER WHO HAS NOT FOUND A FULLTIME JOB I HAVE AN 8 MONTH OLD AND RECENTLY GOT A PARTTIME JOB WITH 15 HOURS THIS IS NOT ENOUGH FOR ME TO COVER EVERYTHING I HOPE I CAN STILL COLLECT IF THERE IS A TIER 5 I AM STRUGGLING HERE IN NJ I NEED HELP

• NoGoodOnesLeft 08/05/2010 9:32am
    + 16

Too bad this is probably too late for a lot of people. They aren’t even going to begin debating it – which will probably take a month or two – until they get back mid-September and then the states will delay a month or two for programming so it will probably be a least 3 months before anybody sees any money. I think that if any of the politicians really cared, they would have introduced this months ago or included it with the deadline extension.

Anjou99999 08/06/2010 2:35pm

Not to mention the obligatory automatic Republican block, the filibustering, the posturing, and then,off to another Holiday with them all.
    January perhaps, if we are all very lucky.

Anjou99999 09/04/2010 7:28pm

The Republican Senate will block this unilaterally as they have all
    the other extensions.So figure another two months of quibbling, bombast
    and fillibustering.By then they will be up for another extended Holiday.

• boston35 08/05/2010 9:59am

@CJKELL…

I am wondering the same thing! I got part time job and the job only lasted 5 days. Does anyone know If I can still collect my benefits??

kc3295 08/05/2010 11:49am

You may have to reapply depending on your state.

kc3295 08/05/2010 11:50am

Depending on the state you live in, you may have to reapply for benefits. But check with your UI office, they can tell you. Good Luck!

• kc3295 08/05/2010 11:45am

TO: NOGOODONESLEFT – It is a shame that this was not done a long time ago. I received my last check on end of February, 2010 and have been without funds, etc. since then. My creditors have been terrific and understand the situation. So far none have sent me to a collection agency. My friends and church have been awesome with their support. I understand that there are so many of us out there in terrible and dire straights, however, at least these Senators are trying. Nothing can be done if the bill is not introduced. It is out there now and we need to be thinking positively.

Look at it this way…if the dems can get this past before the November elections, they may all keep their jobs. If not, they are facing defeat. Their destiny is in their respective hands. We just need to write them (not ranting and raving)telling them our stories and pleading with their human side.

NoGoodOnesLeft 08/06/2010 7:23am

Unfortunately, it is too late for me. I will have to give up my apartment next month. I will be able to housesit for 6 months for someone who goes to Florida for the winter but I won’t have a real home anymore. I can save up the money when we get it to eventually get another apartment but unless I can get a job, it isn’t likely that anybody will rent a new one to me.

I think it will pass by Election Day if they revise it to give all the States something. But with the way the States delay payments (MA delayed for a month and a half last time and then paid us in lump sums every 3 weeks), I don’t think anybody will see a cent before Election Day.

Send Your Senator a Letter