S.510 - FDA Food Safety Modernization Act

A bill to amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act with respect to the safety of the food supply. view all titles (4)

• Official: A bill to amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act with respect to the safety of the food supply. as introduced.
  • Short: FDA Food Safety Modernization Act as introduced.
  • Short: FDA Food Safety Modernization Act as reported to senate.
  • Short: FDA Food Safety Modernization Act as passed senate.

akpatriot84 01/04/2011 5:36pm

It is amazing to me how this bill was rammed through without any noise about what is REALLY inside it( much like the health care bill was). The big agriculture corporations like Monsanto lobbied hard for this bill so they can secure their strangle hold on our food supply thanks to the idiots in Washington who don not represent the people but special interests who line their pockets.

Sxeptomaniac 01/05/2011 12:48pm

How exactly does this bill achieve that by giving the government powers to order food recalls?

tom989 04/22/2011 11:31am

I agree 100%

• karenhouse 04/26/2010 4:55pm

He who controls the food controls the populace.

• christinemont 04/30/2010 10:15pm

This would be great if the FDA regulated the poisons that go in food. all this will do is raise food cost.

• FarrellyRainbow 05/05/2010 7:13am

This is going to hurt my friends who sell at farm market stands. And it will hurt me becasue there won’t be stands because they cannot afford the $500 fee necessary to have a farm stand.

By the way, its the big agra businesses that have the problems with e. coli. E. coli comes from feces. Why doesn’t the TV news point that out? Big agra business is what needs regulating because they have put profit before their conscience.

And what about some real labeling? I want to know which of my foods have been irradiated. I want to know which of my foods are GMO. Just tell the American people the truth and we can make up our minds. Let the free market determine what foods are popular instead of big business. Stop hiding what is in the food behind regulations and unlabeled ingredients. For instance, there is a lot of MSG that goes into products that does not appear on the label and that is legal.

I will miss the farm markets.

TrapperW 03/27/2011 6:36am

With all due respect, the MSG allergy is a myth. It’s been debunked in many scientific journals. Here is a list: http://zidbits.com/2010/12/05/is-the-msg-allergy-a-myth/

• breitzrecu 07/16/2010 7:58am

I work for Consumers Union, the non-profit publishers of Consumer Reports, and we strongly support S.510. We also strongly support the local,sustainable, and organic movements and would not support a bill that would shut down these operations before they have a chance to flourish. S.510 does not present a “one-size, fit all” solution, but rather is purposely designed to be flexible to protect small, organic, and local farmers while being stringent in other areas to protect consumers from contamination in produce and processed food. The bill protects organic farms: the current language states that any new food safety standards developed by the FDA cannot be in conflict with organic standards. New standards are also required to consider maintaining biological diversity, conservation, the environment, and impact on small farms.

See why Food Inc. producer and the author of Fast Food Nation Eric Schlosser supports this bill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqurqoVCibk
    Badgers 08/13/2010 12:15pm

Bull crap, this is Codex enforced without a treaty.

davidmac29 11/29/2010 7:59am

You can’t have both. A 500K max is pathetic in relation to total receipts.

It does not present a one-size-fits all approach at all. It’s so broad, it can mean anything you or I want it to say or interpret it as.

It will however vastly empower corporatist food production. Remember, the new food czar is the X Monsanto VP of Public Affairs…. Dare we track the money trail on this bill and it’s supporters.

This bill kills biological diversity. Big seed producers like to make sure their seeds don’t product little babies so farmers can store and plant in the following year. They also like to make sure that their seeds only react to a certain type of weed and pest spray. We will be forced to eat test-tube food, one of a kind in biochemical structure, patented and highly contagious to other natural seeds slowly eroding what was at one time nature.

Keep up the great work at your union.

ok_farmgal 10/12/2010 7:57am

You expect me to believe that!?!? I’m afraid you’re a brainwashed fool.

cwhunbun 11/15/2010 5:36am

When people use words like sustainable,solution,diversity,conservation they are after self not common good. The FDA is not regulated so how can it regulate?? They are in collusion with big Aggi, big Pharma and Big Corp. They divide the market, set prices, or limit production just as the USDA does. They allow additives in food that are poisoning people. Smoke and Mirrors!

• Theodrin 08/19/2010 12:49pm

I would LOVE it if this was directed just at mega farms. But no, this will go at small farms, too. It’s already hard to sell stuff at farmers markets! It doesn’t need to become harder.

ok_farmgal 10/12/2010 8:00am

I live near a large Amish community and I would like to know what will happen to them? They fled to the US for religious freedom and now the government is going to kill their culture!! I agree with 100% Theodrin!!

davidmac29 11/29/2010 8:01am

Correct. I too live near the Amish communities and don’t need the FDA, DHS, Codex, UN or any other organization telling me what I can and can’t eat. This, and I don’t think we are in the position to pay for another 18,000 Federal employees either.

This liberty shredding legislation just keeps getting larger and larger missions.

Vote down 100% to this corporatist pig of a bill.

• hexC0DE 08/23/2010 8:54pm

keep the feds out of our business(es)!

• hexC0DE 08/31/2010 8:58am

using the egg recall to “never let a serious crisis go to waste,” when they can use it to expand govt and steal liberty. typical.

JSComputerTech 09/07/2010 11:46am

Yes, we wouldn’t want to actually learn from past mistakes would we.

• x083 09/21/2010 8:05am

this is fascism at the highest level, a result of globalization, and the attempted implementation of codex alimentarius. FDA has no business regulating food. let the idiots that wanna eat mcdonalds cloned beef, and drink rbgh monsanto milk, and genetically modified and poisoned crops, let them die off by eating this stuff, lets not all suffer, and be forced to eat this cancer.

everyone needs to wake up other people, immediately. call the senate, write them tell them no, tell them why, and support your local health food store.

monsanto can kiss my ass, and burn in hell

cwhunbun 11/15/2010 6:27pm

The FDA knows zip about nutrition and you are right they should not be regulating food. They have managed to contaminate our food with additives that are poisons. Sugar substitutes such as Aspartame are slow poisoners. Egg yolks should be orange not yellow. Breast cancer would be eradicated if people drank raw milk. I grew up on raw milk and contribute my good health to that. I have not been sick in over 30 years. If we let them control food completely they will continue to force America to eat “Frankenfood” that has no value to health.

btsmith 11/23/2010 6:30pm

I hear you! I only eat organic dairy products and I’m not rich. I make sacrifices to eat real food and this is just going to raise my food budget. I switched to organic milk when I realized it doesn’t even taste the same. I hated milk for years until I tried organic and I think it was my body telling me that this stuff is seriously bad. This bill is tyranny.

• Rrobinson 09/22/2010 7:15am

If this passes, I’ll be going to jail.

glassbeadmaker 11/27/2010 6:06am

You & me both

• fireuup20 10/08/2010 3:00am

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but the bill constantly refers to “food facilities” or “domestic food facilities”. In order to be a food facility, you must register with the FDA in accordance to Public Health Security and Bioterrorism Preparedness and Response Act of 2002. According to the FDA, you DO NOT have to register if:

•Private residences of individuals, even though food may be manufactured/processed, packed, or held in them.
    •Farms — i.e., facilities in one general location devoted to growing and harvesting crops and/or raising animals (including seafood). The term “farm” also includes facilities that manufacture/process, pack, or hold food, provided that all food used in those activities is grown, raised, or consumed on that farm or another farm under the same ownership.

Source: http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Food/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/GuidanceDocuments/FoodDefenseandEmergencyResponse/UCM113877.pdf

Unless I missed it, the bill doesn’t change those terms.

• kimberlytheotherone 10/23/2010 7:19pm

This bill changes USC Code and Federal Law in a way that it will change many other parts of laws.
    ‎(a) In General- Section 304(h)(1)(A) (21 U.S.C. 334(h)(1)(A)) is amended by—
    (1) striking `credible evidence or information indicating’ and inserting `reason to believe’; and
    (2) striking `presents a threat of serious adverse health consequences or death to humans or animals’ and inserting `is adulterated or misbranded under section 403(w)’.
    This is impostant because if you take the government to court you can never win. Whatever the gov. believes is the law…Danger, Will Robinson, Danger.

davidmac29 11/29/2010 8:03am

I had reason to believe before, then I grew up.

“Reason to Believe” can be placed in any context. Say goodbye to mother nature.

• turbomango 11/14/2010 11:59am

S 510, the Food Safety Modernization Act*, may be the most dangerous bill in the history of the US. It is to our food what the bailout was to our economy, only we can live without money.

“If accepted [S 510] would preclude the public’s right to grow, own, trade, transport, share, feed and eat each and every food that nature makes. It will become the most offensive authority against the cultivation, trade and consumption of food and agricultural products of one’s choice. It will be unconstitutional and contrary to natural law or, if you like, the will of God.” ~Dr. Shiv Chopra, Canada Health whistleblower

It is similar to what India faced with imposition of the salt tax during British rule, only S 510 extends control over all food in the US, violating the fundamental human right to food.

• turbomango 11/14/2010 12:00pm

S 510 fails on moral, social, economic, political, constitutional, and human survival grounds.

1. It puts all US food and all US farms under Homeland Security and the Department of Defense, in the event of contamination or an ill-defined emergency. It resembles the Kissinger Plan.

2. It would end US sovereignty over its own food supply by insisting on compliance with the WTO, thus threatening national security. It would end the Uruguay Round Agreement Act of 1994, which put US sovereignty and US law under perfect protection. Instead, S 510 says:

COMPLIANCE WITH INTERNATIONAL AGREEMENTS.

Nothing in this Act (or an amendment made by this Act) shall be construed in a manner inconsistent with the agreement establishing the World Trade Organization or any other treaty or international agreement to which the United States is a party.

• allyReport101 11/18/2010 10:04pm
    Grow your own food. Check out urbangrower.com. Know what your eating. Monsanto is to Food what Goldman Sacs is to Money. Mao used food as a weapon. People staved under communism not because of the failure of production, the elite are always well fed, but because if anyone disagreed they starved.
  • btsmith 11/23/2010 6:21pm

All this whole foods/organic thing is very popular with a lot of liberals. I’m really surprised the Democratic Party would be the primary supporters of something that will cripple this industry (or at least raise prices which are already expensive). This will hurt people who are trying to gain access to Non-GMO and organically-grown food because they’re tired of being poisoned. Looks like the party of helping the poor has turned into the party of Big-Business and Centralized Government Rule. Maybe the Tea-Party could help out a brother who just wants the freedom to buy some frikin food of his choice…

Send Your Senator a Letter