S.510 - FDA Food Safety Modernization Act

A bill to amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act with respect to the safety of the food supply. view all titles (4)

• Official: A bill to amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act with respect to the safety of the food supply. as introduced.
  • Short: FDA Food Safety Modernization Act as introduced.
  • Short: FDA Food Safety Modernization Act as reported to senate.
  • Short: FDA Food Safety Modernization Act as passed senate.

JohnLloydScharf 12/03/2010 2:58pm

I see nothing but food safety and the ability to require a food recall in this.

texascav 12/03/2010 9:40am

Another take over by our wonderful socialist government. Gosh I am so happy we are socialists now. I just wouldn’t know what to do without the government telling me how to live my life. BULL CRAP

opm118 12/01/2010 11:14am

They’re not even pretending like they’re listening to us anymore.

tigntink 12/01/2010 8:29am
in reply to meonkeys Apr 17, 2010 5:23pm

You don’t see anything about being unable to grow your own food because there isn’t anything.

People read things on blogs and then take them as truth rather than opinion. Sometimes opinions then get spread to other blogs as reference and then to actual news sites because people fail to research where information comes from.

Here is a hint: Just because it says ‘news’ in the name or url doesn’t mean it is real news.

veratyr9 11/30/2010 4:43am

Ofcourse, another bill that has less than 15% approval rating on opencongress.org passes. You can always count on government to do the exact opposite of what the people want.

mpaone 11/29/2010 11:46am

Just pass the dang thing already. Small farmers now have protections under the amendment, which is beautiful.

The only real opposition is coming from mega farms who are afraid they might have to play by the rules.

I’m also tired of all the scare tactics and conspiracy theories being pushed onto people about an otherwise harmless bill.

Do it, and let’s get on to creating some jobs and making a fairer tax structure and becoming energy independent and.. oh god, we’re running out of time..!

davidmac29 11/29/2010 8:03am
in reply to kimberlytheotherone Oct 23, 2010 7:19pm

I had reason to believe before, then I grew up.

“Reason to Believe” can be placed in any context. Say goodbye to mother nature.

davidmac29 11/29/2010 8:01am
in reply to ok_farmgal Oct 12, 2010 8:00am

Correct. I too live near the Amish communities and don’t need the FDA, DHS, Codex, UN or any other organization telling me what I can and can’t eat. This, and I don’t think we are in the position to pay for another 18,000 Federal employees either.

This liberty shredding legislation just keeps getting larger and larger missions.

Vote down 100% to this corporatist pig of a bill.

davidmac29 11/29/2010 7:59am
in reply to Badgers Aug 13, 2010 12:15pm

You can’t have both. A 500K max is pathetic in relation to total receipts.

It does not present a one-size-fits all approach at all. It’s so broad, it can mean anything you or I want it to say or interpret it as.

It will however vastly empower corporatist food production. Remember, the new food czar is the X Monsanto VP of Public Affairs…. Dare we track the money trail on this bill and it’s supporters.

This bill kills biological diversity. Big seed producers like to make sure their seeds don’t product little babies so farmers can store and plant in the following year. They also like to make sure that their seeds only react to a certain type of weed and pest spray. We will be forced to eat test-tube food, one of a kind in biochemical structure, patented and highly contagious to other natural seeds slowly eroding what was at one time nature.

Keep up the great work at your union.

davidmac29 11/29/2010 7:53am

One of the worse bills to come around in the past 6-months. If you support this in any way shape or form, you are uninformed, can’t read or are a paid blogger.

The new food czar is the X VP of Monsanto’s Public Affairs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Legal price fixing: http://news.opencongress.org/bill/111-s510/text?version=rs&nid=t0:rs:1045

- The Codex Alimentarius (the end of US food sovereignty)

- FDA/DHS? Sound like someone is losing ground and it’s the family farms.

- Like ObamaCare, we need to sign the bill to see what will happen

- So the big guys will be exempt from the bill while it crushes little farms.

lremmell64 11/29/2010 5:26am

This administration is completely out of control, especially in trying to enact this type of bill. The title of this bill is very misleading and has nothing in the world to do with food safety and has everything to do with the control of our food production and supply. This is very scary indeed and to think our government reps are dumb enough to even consider this is just incomprehensible.

glassbeadmaker 11/27/2010 6:06am
in reply to Rrobinson Sep 22, 2010 7:15am

You & me both

glassbeadmaker 11/27/2010 6:03am
in reply to ok_farmgal Oct 12, 2010 7:55am

You and me both, plus I can-up what food I grow so have them when times are lean and they will be. http://www.survivalseedbank.com/

btsmith 11/23/2010 6:30pm
in reply to x083 Sep 21, 2010 8:05am

I hear you! I only eat organic dairy products and I’m not rich. I make sacrifices to eat real food and this is just going to raise my food budget. I switched to organic milk when I realized it doesn’t even taste the same. I hated milk for years until I tried organic and I think it was my body telling me that this stuff is seriously bad. This bill is tyranny.

btsmith 11/23/2010 6:21pm

All this whole foods/organic thing is very popular with a lot of liberals. I’m really surprised the Democratic Party would be the primary supporters of something that will cripple this industry (or at least raise prices which are already expensive). This will hurt people who are trying to gain access to Non-GMO and organically-grown food because they’re tired of being poisoned. Looks like the party of helping the poor has turned into the party of Big-Business and Centralized Government Rule. Maybe the Tea-Party could help out a brother who just wants the freedom to buy some frikin food of his choice…

wilsord2 11/23/2010 5:20am
in reply to tnowlin Apr 26, 2010 6:37am

Exactly right! But the support for paradigm shift back to Agriculture will need to come at the Polls, as was done for taxation during the mid-term elections. Oversight and support is governed by our politicians, and voting is the only thing a politician will listen to.

wilsord2 11/23/2010 5:13am
in reply to JSComputerTech Sep 07, 2010 11:43am

No Sir, this bill is intended to put the Small, Independent Producer out of business.
Read the bill; you will find lots of loopholes for the agribusiness sized companies.

wilsord2 11/23/2010 5:07am
in reply to JSComputerTech Sep 07, 2010 11:40am

Its not something that can be tied to one party. Both major parties want this, and in fact the Repubs are generally more careful about how they approach it.
This is Agribusiness at its’ worst, using political leverage in an attempt to kill consumer-driven Agriculture.

coloradocoates 11/19/2010 3:59am
in reply to tnowlin Apr 26, 2010 6:37am

Here, here! I could not agree with anyone more. This bill should never even be considered without regulating genetic modification and pesticide use. All foods containing genetically modified ingredients should be labeled as such or not allowed to be on the market.

allyReport101 11/18/2010 10:04pm
Grow your own food. Check out urbangrower.com. Know what your eating. Monsanto is to Food what Goldman Sacs is to Money. Mao used food as a weapon. People staved under communism not because of the failure of production, the elite are always well fed, but because if anyone disagreed they starved.
cwhunbun 11/15/2010 6:27pm
in reply to x083 Sep 21, 2010 8:05am

The FDA knows zip about nutrition and you are right they should not be regulating food. They have managed to contaminate our food with additives that are poisons. Sugar substitutes such as Aspartame are slow poisoners. Egg yolks should be orange not yellow. Breast cancer would be eradicated if people drank raw milk. I grew up on raw milk and contribute my good health to that. I have not been sick in over 30 years. If we let them control food completely they will continue to force America to eat “Frankenfood” that has no value to health.

cwhunbun 11/15/2010 5:36am
in reply to breitzrecu Jul 16, 2010 7:58am

When people use words like sustainable,solution,diversity,conservation they are after self not common good. The FDA is not regulated so how can it regulate?? They are in collusion with big Aggi, big Pharma and Big Corp. They divide the market, set prices, or limit production just as the USDA does. They allow additives in food that are poisoning people. Smoke and Mirrors!

turbomango 11/14/2010 12:00pm

S 510 fails on moral, social, economic, political, constitutional, and human survival grounds.

1. It puts all US food and all US farms under Homeland Security and the Department of Defense, in the event of contamination or an ill-defined emergency. It resembles the Kissinger Plan.

2. It would end US sovereignty over its own food supply by insisting on compliance with the WTO, thus threatening national security. It would end the Uruguay Round Agreement Act of 1994, which put US sovereignty and US law under perfect protection. Instead, S 510 says:

COMPLIANCE WITH INTERNATIONAL AGREEMENTS.

Nothing in this Act (or an amendment made by this Act) shall be construed in a manner inconsistent with the agreement establishing the World Trade Organization or any other treaty or international agreement to which the United States is a party.

turbomango 11/14/2010 11:59am

S 510, the Food Safety Modernization Act*, may be the most dangerous bill in the history of the US. It is to our food what the bailout was to our economy, only we can live without money.

“If accepted [S 510] would preclude the public’s right to grow, own, trade, transport, share, feed and eat each and every food that nature makes. It will become the most offensive authority against the cultivation, trade and consumption of food and agricultural products of one’s choice. It will be unconstitutional and contrary to natural law or, if you like, the will of God.” ~Dr. Shiv Chopra, Canada Health whistleblower

It is similar to what India faced with imposition of the salt tax during British rule, only S 510 extends control over all food in the US, violating the fundamental human right to food.

kimberlytheotherone 10/23/2010 7:19pm

This bill changes USC Code and Federal Law in a way that it will change many other parts of laws.
‎(a) In General- Section 304(h)(1)(A) (21 U.S.C. 334(h)(1)(A)) is amended by—
(1) striking `credible evidence or information indicating’ and inserting `reason to believe’; and
(2) striking `presents a threat of serious adverse health consequences or death to humans or animals’ and inserting `is adulterated or misbranded under section 403(w)’.
This is impostant because if you take the government to court you can never win. Whatever the gov. believes is the law…Danger, Will Robinson, Danger.

ok_farmgal 10/12/2010 8:00am
in reply to Theodrin Aug 19, 2010 12:49pm

I live near a large Amish community and I would like to know what will happen to them? They fled to the US for religious freedom and now the government is going to kill their culture!! I agree with 100% Theodrin!!

ok_farmgal 10/12/2010 7:57am
in reply to breitzrecu Jul 16, 2010 7:58am

You expect me to believe that!?!? I’m afraid you’re a brainwashed fool.

ok_farmgal 10/12/2010 7:55am
in reply to tnowlin Apr 26, 2010 6:37am

YES and thank you for the excellent and concise view!! I love to grow my own food and will continue to do so with no chemicals. I’m not doing anything wrong by having a garden, what’s there to regulate? I watered my eggplant on Tuesday instead of Thursday?!?!Oh no the sky will fall on my head!! It’s the big companies that want control so they can brainwash more and more people into their way of thinking. So leave the homegardener alone, I’m not trying to feed the world, just my 1 acre of it.

fireuup20 10/08/2010 3:00am

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but the bill constantly refers to “food facilities” or “domestic food facilities”. In order to be a food facility, you must register with the FDA in accordance to Public Health Security and Bioterrorism Preparedness and Response Act of 2002. According to the FDA, you DO NOT have to register if:

•Private residences of individuals, even though food may be manufactured/processed, packed, or held in them.
•Farms — i.e., facilities in one general location devoted to growing and harvesting crops and/or raising animals (including seafood). The term “farm” also includes facilities that manufacture/process, pack, or hold food, provided that all food used in those activities is grown, raised, or consumed on that farm or another farm under the same ownership.

Source: http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Food/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/GuidanceDocuments/FoodDefenseandEmergencyResponse/UCM113877.pdf

Unless I missed it, the bill doesn’t change those terms.

Rrobinson 09/22/2010 7:15am

If this passes, I’ll be going to jail.

Send Your Senator a Letter