S.510 - FDA Food Safety Modernization Act

A bill to amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act with respect to the safety of the food supply. view all titles (4)

• Official: A bill to amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act with respect to the safety of the food supply. as introduced.
  • Short: FDA Food Safety Modernization Act as introduced.
  • Short: FDA Food Safety Modernization Act as reported to senate.
  • Short: FDA Food Safety Modernization Act as passed senate.

btsmith 11/23/2010 6:30pm
in reply to x083 Sep 21, 2010 8:05am

I hear you! I only eat organic dairy products and I’m not rich. I make sacrifices to eat real food and this is just going to raise my food budget. I switched to organic milk when I realized it doesn’t even taste the same. I hated milk for years until I tried organic and I think it was my body telling me that this stuff is seriously bad. This bill is tyranny.

davidmac29 11/29/2010 8:01am
in reply to ok_farmgal Oct 12, 2010 8:00am

Correct. I too live near the Amish communities and don’t need the FDA, DHS, Codex, UN or any other organization telling me what I can and can’t eat. This, and I don’t think we are in the position to pay for another 18,000 Federal employees either.

This liberty shredding legislation just keeps getting larger and larger missions.

Vote down 100% to this corporatist pig of a bill.

cwhunbun 11/15/2010 6:27pm
in reply to x083 Sep 21, 2010 8:05am

The FDA knows zip about nutrition and you are right they should not be regulating food. They have managed to contaminate our food with additives that are poisons. Sugar substitutes such as Aspartame are slow poisoners. Egg yolks should be orange not yellow. Breast cancer would be eradicated if people drank raw milk. I grew up on raw milk and contribute my good health to that. I have not been sick in over 30 years. If we let them control food completely they will continue to force America to eat “Frankenfood” that has no value to health.

breitzrecu 07/16/2010 7:58am

I work for Consumers Union, the non-profit publishers of Consumer Reports, and we strongly support S.510. We also strongly support the local,sustainable, and organic movements and would not support a bill that would shut down these operations before they have a chance to flourish. S.510 does not present a “one-size, fit all” solution, but rather is purposely designed to be flexible to protect small, organic, and local farmers while being stringent in other areas to protect consumers from contamination in produce and processed food. The bill protects organic farms: the current language states that any new food safety standards developed by the FDA cannot be in conflict with organic standards. New standards are also required to consider maintaining biological diversity, conservation, the environment, and impact on small farms.

See why Food Inc. producer and the author of Fast Food Nation Eric Schlosser supports this bill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqurqoVCibk
trekie70 07/20/2010 8:02pm
in reply to browncoat78 Apr 14, 2010 10:13am

browncoat, have you ever worked in the food industry? Regulatory agencies are very necessary, trust me. I’ve been an inspector with the USDA for more than 13 yrs and have never assumed a plant was “guilty until proven innocent.” It is apparent that you don’t have a good understanding of what agencies like the Food Safety and Inspection Service actually do. FSIS is now more about oversight than command and control. Plants are free to design their own food safety plans that meet 9 CFR 416 and 417.

In a perfect world, no oversight would be needed but this is far from a perfect world.

Rrobinson 09/22/2010 7:15am

If this passes, I’ll be going to jail.

JSComputerTech 09/07/2010 11:43am
in reply to bunchgrass Aug 10, 2010 5:14pm

This bill is intended to give regulators a bit more power in an effort to prevent the situation you described from getting worse.

meonkeys 04/17/2010 5:23pm
in reply to cadaverousmob Nov 30, 2009 4:24am

I didn’t see anything in S. 510 about a federal license being required to grow your own food… where is that?

I think the bill is a good thing if it increases transparency in the food production industry in the US.

I couldn’t really tell who would pay to enforce this bill and how much it would cost.

I liked the stuff in section 112: “food allergy and anaphylaxis management”… the education mentioned in there seems important for school administrators.

The folks behind “Food, Inc.” support this bill—they supported “Kevin’s Law”, and this bill covers most of what that law was meant to do. On foodincmovie.com, they refer to foodborneillness.org, which urges support of S.510.

Just as I was writing this comment, I found a nice, clear set of questions and answers on this bill on govtrack.us. That’s a neat Web site, too.

JohnLloydScharf 12/03/2010 2:58pm

I see nothing but food safety and the ability to require a food recall in this.

Badgers 08/13/2010 12:15pm
in reply to breitzrecu Jul 16, 2010 7:58am

Bull crap, this is Codex enforced without a treaty.

Theodrin 08/19/2010 12:49pm

I would LOVE it if this was directed just at mega farms. But no, this will go at small farms, too. It’s already hard to sell stuff at farmers markets! It doesn’t need to become harder.

JSComputerTech 09/07/2010 11:40am
in reply to cadaverousmob Nov 30, 2009 4:24am

That would be when no republicans have touched it.

allyReport101 11/18/2010 10:04pm
Grow your own food. Check out urbangrower.com. Know what your eating. Monsanto is to Food what Goldman Sacs is to Money. Mao used food as a weapon. People staved under communism not because of the failure of production, the elite are always well fed, but because if anyone disagreed they starved.
Theodrin 09/09/2010 1:49pm
in reply to djbwain Aug 31, 2010 1:01pm

Nice… I wonder what WOULD happen? A revolution could get started! Or, people could just keep watching TV…

davidmac29 11/29/2010 8:03am
in reply to kimberlytheotherone Oct 23, 2010 7:19pm

I had reason to believe before, then I grew up.

“Reason to Believe” can be placed in any context. Say goodbye to mother nature.

Sxeptomaniac 12/15/2010 7:58am
in reply to wilsord2 Nov 23, 2010 5:13am

Yeah… Read the bill, JSComputerTech is correct. It’s about giving the government more power to deal with large-scale food contamination. Small producers are unlikely to be addressed by this bill, as, even in the cases where a small producer does have a problem, they’re local distribution is too small, and more easily dealt with at the local level.

tigntink 12/09/2010 1:25pm
in reply to cwhunbun Dec 09, 2010 6:25am

Just curious if you actually read the bill? That is great that you hate the FDA and all but that isn’t what this bill is about.

(law now actually)

cwhunbun 12/09/2010 7:03am

More Examples of what harm the FDA has caused http://archive.centerforfoodsafety.org/rbgh2.cfm
This is how they roll ….

veratyr9 11/30/2010 4:43am

Ofcourse, another bill that has less than 15% approval rating on opencongress.org passes. You can always count on government to do the exact opposite of what the people want.

Sxeptomaniac 12/14/2010 7:49am
in reply to cwhunbun Dec 09, 2010 6:15am

I was aware of the studies. They have nothing to do with this bill, though.

opm118 12/01/2010 11:14am

They’re not even pretending like they’re listening to us anymore.

Sxeptomaniac 12/07/2010 7:47am
in reply to JohnLloydScharf Dec 03, 2010 2:58pm

And that’s all it is. Unfortunately, a lot of people showed up to this page with their tin foil hats on, I think. I’m all for looking at how a bill could be abused, but there has to a reasonable way this could be expected to happen (something that the paranoid have failed to explain).

peacefrog 12/09/2010 4:18pm

Another massive power grab that benefits mega corporations along with their government bedfellows while destroying small business. It will only force us further into their poison food grid. Soon we won’t even be allowed to cook our own food, it will come ‘lovingly’ prepackaged and precooked by the government lords, manufactured in a lab by their best eugenicists.

cwhunbun 12/09/2010 6:25am
in reply to Sxeptomaniac Dec 07, 2010 7:47am

You are an ill-informed person who has not a clue what you are talking about please read comment below to know the facts as to what the FDA has already done to kill many with slow death from chronic illness because of their so called food safety!! They are not nutritiousness and have no business in the food safety BUSINESS. Which is what the FDA is a Business they fast track for Big Pharam for money. If you do not know what fast tracking is then you are the one with the dunce hat on!

tigntink 12/11/2010 9:42pm
in reply to cwhunbun Dec 10, 2010 10:47am

I don’t deal in conspiracy theory, I deal in what it says in the bill. I would rather have an over zealous recall than waiting on one and having miscarried babies from listeria, death from e coli and salmonella.

Oh and please stop randomly capitalizing words. It doesn’t help.

Sxeptomaniac 12/14/2010 6:57am
in reply to cwhunbun Dec 10, 2010 10:47am

Nice conspiracy theory; however, it is unconvincing for people who prefer to use tin foil to wrap food instead of as headgear. You’ve not given any reason why the FDA would be motivated to make fake recalls.

Big ag and big pharma are already (hence the name) BIG. Fake recalls on small productions would be like using a sledgehammer to swat flies. They might take down some competitors, but they’d do huge damage to the market in the process by drawing attention to any corrupt dealings, and there are too many for recalls to be effective. Meanwhile, one recall is a huge loss for those big companies, because so much of their product goes through only a few processing plants.

Being called uninformed by a conspiracy theorist is not an insult. It just means I made some moderately insightful comments that he/she can’t figure out how to refute.

peacefrog 02/02/2011 8:01pm
in reply to Sxeptomaniac Dec 14, 2010 8:31am

Yes there are a few “small farm” related organizations that are listed here as supporters, but dig a little deeper and you’ll find that such organizations aren’t actually advocates of the bill. One example is the Farm and Ranch Freedom Alliance who essentially saw the tide turning toward passage of the bill and threw support behind the Tester-Hagan amendment which added language helping to exempt producers grossing under $500,000. Does that mean they think the FDA is going to keep them safe? Read what they have posted on their website about the bill, and I agree that these people are more informed.

peacefrog 02/02/2011 8:03pm
in reply to peacefrog Feb 02, 2011 8:01pm

“There is still cause for concern about how FDA will exercise the new powers granted to it in S510. The agency’s track record is one of favoring Agribusiness at the expense of both family farmers and consumers. S510 does not address the underlying problems of consolidation of our food system or the industry capture of the agency, which result in the agency’s flawed policies.”

Sxeptomaniac 12/07/2010 7:50am
in reply to texascav Dec 03, 2010 9:40am

If you had even a passing knowledge of socialism and the contents of this bill, you’d know that what you just posted was completely ridiculous.

texascav 12/03/2010 9:40am

Another take over by our wonderful socialist government. Gosh I am so happy we are socialists now. I just wouldn’t know what to do without the government telling me how to live my life. BULL CRAP

Send Your Senator a Letter