S.729 - Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act of 2009

A bill to amend the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 to permit States to determine State residency for higher education purposes and to authorize the cancellation of removal and adjustment of status of certain alien students who are long-term United States residents and who entered the United States as children, and for other purposes. view all titles (3)

• Short: Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: DREAM Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Official: A bill to amend the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 to permit States to determine State residency for higher education purposes and to authorize the cancellation of removal and adjustment of status of certain alien students who are long-term United States residents and who entered the United States as children, and for other purposes. as introduced.

• irishpenguin 07/06/2009 8:43pm

Mixed feelings on this one. Yes, THEY ARE CHILDREN. BUT.
    BUT.

They are not here legally, and not even their parents are being correctly dealt with as far as this subject goes.

For the further progression of America as a nation, I say “NAY” simply because: the more illegal (I repeat ILLEGAL) immigrants that come in, the more jobs we as American’s lose. It’s not fair to those of us who do have a higher education, and it’s not fair to America as a country.

If you’re legal, WELCOME TO AMERICA.
    But come on now, it’s ILLEGAL.
    And nobody is doing anything about it.

FTM5691 09/22/2009 12:10pm

If your an employer and you have 1 opening and two people apply, 1 has a higher education, and is a citizen while the second person is not a citizen and does not have a higher education. Who do you think the employer is going to hire? The citizen with a highed education, UNLESS the second person is more qualified for the job with more experience. Nobody loses a job in general. Their just surpassed by the better person. Better being used lightly

bad2bone2212 01/18/2010 6:11pm

HOW THE FUCK DO YOU LOSE A JOB THAT YOU DIDNT HAVE IN THE FIRST PLACE?
    GET YOUR LAZY WHITE RACIST EGOTISTICAL ASS UP AND FIND ONE!
    THERE ARE JOBS EVERYWHERE!
    WE DONT TAKE THE JOBS ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS? WE CANT GET REAL JOBS!
    YOU HAVE NO COMMON SENSE, AND MOST OF YOU AGAINST THIS BILL DONT EITHER
    JUST KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT AND SHUT THE FUCK UP BECAUSE ITS GOING TO PASS, LIKE IT OR NOT. SUCKS FOR YOU HUH…
    IDIOTS…

• BudWiser 07/21/2009 10:46pm

I think this “Dream Act” is a NIGHTMARE considering the person who drafted it. The country is swarming with immigrants mostly ILLEGAL. The country is BROKE, and we can no longer to hand out education grants or continue with FREEBIES. The public school system is a disaster and should be curtailed. GET THE GUVMINT OUT, SLAY THE BEAST DOWN TO SIZE!

marisol94 09/24/2009 8:53pm

hahah.wow.u spelled Budweiser wrong.that says much about you.lol……

……and nooo. undocumented students wont have the opportunity to ask for public scholarships to go to college. They would have to find private scholarships and get money out of their pocket for college.
    And sir,get informed correctly before you post information you are not sure about.

• oderintdummetuant 08/17/2009 4:32pm

America is the land of opportunity, that opportunity is guaranteed by the documents that founded this nation and it is guaranteed to the people of this nation. As for the kids of illegal immigrants allow me to say…, they have no right to attend public school and no right to a college education funded by American Citizens. Yes I realize they are not here of their own choosing but by the choice of a parent or guardian. Thats the point, if the benefits paid for by the citizens of this country were denied to everyone except those who contribute to those programs then perhaps our national financial infrastructure wouldn’t be in the shape its in today. Yes I know I’m the bad guy, but the bottom line is that when 10 people pay for 10 people’s dinner and 15 people show up to eat somebody is going hungry, as a paying customer its not my responsibility if those 5 have to go hungry.

marisol94 09/24/2009 8:55pm

you do know that illegal immigrants also pay for tax right????

• MyGunsProtectMyFreeSpeechandMe 09/09/2009 11:45pm

FELONY invaders, often mistakenly referred to as ‘illegal aliens’, ought NOT be rewarded. Do NOT deprive citizens.

The ‘dream’ is a mess of loopholes waiting to happen:

• laurenms 09/17/2009 7:09pm

I agree it’s time to move on and open our hearts and minds PASS THE DREAM ACT

• Rogue414 09/19/2009 9:54am

MyGunsProtectMyFreeSpeechandMe——> QQ

Pass The dream act !!

• dblbull4me 09/20/2009 7:26am

Why should I be paying for edu. of illegal immigrants. My own kids could not get higher Edu. because I paying high taxes to pay for stupid bills like this. I could not afford to pay for my own kids. how about the Government start paying attention to the constitution and stop this invasion of the U.S. .My great great grandparents came here legally and learned to speak english and changed there name to be more english .Fought in the Revolution,civil war (north) and all other wars for the freedoms of America. How about taking care of the citizens that work and pay taxes first

FTM5691 09/22/2009 12:02pm

Your NOT paying for the education of illegal immigrants, they do not get pell grants or any type of federal aid. They have to apply for loans just like your kids, who most likely took classes with them. Now if you really wanted your kids to receive higher education there are scholarships, work study, ect.

&secondly how will passing this act affect you? You don’t think that the the people that would benefit from this bill know how to speak English? &If they do not receive an AA or attend college they have to serve in the US Military for two years, taking the place of maybe one of your kids, nephews, and/or nieces in war. Why aren’t you complaining about that?

marisol94 09/24/2009 9:03pm

wow! you are aware that if this bill gets passed undocumented students will NOT! have the opportunity to ask for scholarships from the government.They will have to come up with their own money or private scholarships.If undocumented students want to go to college and get there, that will prove that they do want America to progress and i really don’t know why you are saying you cant afford your kids college, because if you want something in life you have to fight for it with all you have.life isn’t easy my dear :) take care. i hope you have a little bit more understanding.

kalanndra 06/23/2010 4:54pm

Your taxes would not have made a difference in affording your kids education. Without the taxes, the cost of the education for you would go WAY up.

Excuse me, your family fought a war for freedom in America? Why did they fight the war? Was it by chance because, it was not theirs? Obviously, it was not.

Immigrants have taxes taken out of their paychecks like everyone else.

MrCalzones 09/20/2010 12:24pm

Just because your family dates back to the olden days does that mean you should be treated like royalty and pampered like crazy?
    or are you trying to say: “OH im legal. i dont have a job. Instead of passing the DREAM act we shoud get a bigger and fatter welfare checks so we can pay all our rent and bills and live off the government!”I say get a job! Work for your success!

How come your kids cant get a higher education?
    Is it probably because:
    -You DONT have a good job?
    -You NEVER had a good job?
    -You never managed your money the right way?

Im 100% positive that if your kids really deserved the education, im sure that if they worked hard for it they would have earned a scholarship or something nice to help them on their road.

• godisawesome 09/24/2009 1:27pm

I AM A DREAMER NOT A CRIMINAL——
    I am a 15 year old Fresman at Collegiate High School in TX. My parents are illegal and I came here when I was 8years old.

You say helping me is going to cost you money, but have you thought
    of how I am goin to help YOUR society? There will me more people
    working, more income taxes, more $$ for the USA. PEOPLE WAKE UP this can have NO NEGATIVE OUTCOMES! PASS THE DREAM ACT.

• marisol94 09/24/2009 7:43pm

CAN YOU REPLY TO THIS??…pro’s and con’s are welcome.

I AM A DREAMER :)

i am 15 and i want to go to college. i was brought to the united states at the age of 5 having no word in the situation.I am very very fluent in English and Spanish,read speak and write.I am an honoroll student.I have good moral and am hard working.i have a job as a cleaner,do community service at a care center. I am in speech&debate and journalism.But why do i do all of this if my future will probably be to get deported?I mean i know i wont be able to attend college where i hope to study human rights..unless this DREAM act gets passed.I do this because i am very thankful that the country I live in gives me the opportunity to get educated and become a more prepared person in this world.I would like to go to college to give back to this country.I would like to earn a degree in Human Rights with all my hardwork.

Reply to this.please i would like to hear your response.and i will be more than happy to reply.

Pathwerker 09/22/2010 2:17pm

I beleive we all have the right to an education, and I hope the dream act passes. Don’t listen to the hypocrites. Hold on to your dream, Marisol. You are welcome to live it in MY America!

• marisol94 09/24/2009 8:40pm

can someone give me reasons of why this bill shouldnt be passed?

if you believe that illegal immigrants will take the jobs and opportunities u.s citizens….well then i can tell you right away that it is not true, because in life you have to be prepared in order to get somewhere. If the illegals would “take away” the jobs as you may say well then all i have to say is that there is a reason for that

• mazdastuff 10/21/2009 8:21am

Everyone has their opinion on this one. And someone can probably give me 15 reasons why we should allow Amnesty and I will give 15 against.
    But how about this…Nationwide vote and everyone must vote. (voters must be legal residents)…all topics concerning people in this country illegally. And you can bundle up a few at a time if you wish. Amnesty, benefits, education etc. The purpose of the vote…if you vote pro amnesty your taxes will be a flat 60%. What happen. Did I lose you on this one. You want to help them, you pay for them. And if you say that is not fair…then you are a hypocrite. I will be more inclined to support a gradual transition versus the free for all that our government wants. Better yet. Start helping Mexico by building some schools and improve their infrastructure. Come on, they have some of the best beaches, national resources and still, their population lives in poverty. The problem is down there, not up here.

• What part of illegal do you people NOT understand. Go through the proper channels to become LEGAL citizens, then become entitled to all the benefits this once great country has/had to offer. In my opinion, just because someone is born in the United States from illegal immigrant parents should NOT make the offspring automatically “legal”. If I wanted to move to Israel do you think they’d just let me in? Of course not, I’d have to apply for citizenship, learn the laws, language, serve in the military and whatever else that particular country asked of me to “qualify” me for a legal citizen of their nation. If the illegals want to become citizens, let them go through the process or send them through the military and 2 to 3 tours of duty or on call reserve for 8 years. Do something useful other than bleed this country dry.
  • metalchris 10/25/2009 9:46pm

If there is something that we all know, is that this country is made out of illegal people from all over the world, they have come here to work they are part of this country we live around them and they are cool why are you complaining about taxes and if they pay or not?! they pay taxes every year!!! lets just support this bill and welcome them to their new home! like we did in the past
    keep it metal!!

GunnyG 01/06/2010 6:35am

You are too stupid to vote.

• crzrbd 11/20/2009 3:52pm

PASS THE DREAM ACT!!!!!!!!!!!
    everyone shoulf be able to an education.. like they say they lived here since they were small went to elemtry middle and high school.. some work so hard to and its no right for them not to be able to get help to go to college..they want just like everyone the best for their life and college is the way..I still dont understand why people still havent pass the DREAM ACT.. so many are waiting

GunnyG 01/06/2010 6:35am

Let them live with YOU and YOU support them.

Stupid ass liberal clown.

• bad2bone2212 12/14/2009 7:06pm

None of you against this bill would last a day in an immigrant’s shoes. Having to watch your back from cops, looking in the rear view every minute, not eating well, lacking money to keep up with bills, not being able to get a job, embarassment from friends asking why you dont have a license, NEVER HAVING MONEY BECAUSE IT ALL GOES TO JUST LIVING AND STAYING ALIVE. Still managing to go to college, even though if this doesnt pass, it wont do any good. You people need to get over your arrogance. We are all human beings, we are all people. WHY THE FUCK DONT YOU IGNORANT ASSHOLES GET THAT?!!! Take my shoes, and wear them for a year. You would be miserable.

GunnyG 01/06/2010 6:34am

If they were here LEGALLY, they would not have to WORRY!

GET BACK TO WHERE YOU CAME FROM and come in the FRONT DOOR!

• bad2bone2212 12/14/2009 7:12pm

I am an immigrant. Yet i have worked my way HARD through life, and i sit here, with a Sony Vaio laptop. With a car. With a house. With clothing on my back. With our own little business. With our perfect driving records. With our beautiful blue eyed Siberian Huskies. Its not that I live okay, its that I WORKED HARD FOR ALL OF IT. AND CASH. WIth NO credit and NO license. Because I know the meaning of need. And YOU DONT. YOU THInk you have worries and problems in your life, fuck you. You DONT KNOW SHIT!

GunnyG 01/06/2010 6:33am

and the ten million who DON’T WORK? Who sponge off of the system? Who commit violent crimes and then run back to Mexico?

bad2bone2212 01/18/2010 5:59pm

So? We could say that about any fucking criminal. Black white orange blue or red. What are you fucking retarded? There are plenty of people who committ violent crimes and run to Mexico OR Canada. Black and white alike. So what? Better yet they leave of fear of getting caught.

So what? YOU sponge off the system. YOU will get social security. YOU will get health care. YOU will benefit from community programs. What about the taxes THAT I PAY, FOR YOUR SHIT? What about that? Yes im angry and yes it makes me angry because people like you just talk out of your ass and thats all you have. You have no idea of what it’s like because you have never been there. So shut the fuck up you fucking ignorant inconsiderate fool.

Send Your Senator a Letter