S.729 - Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act of 2009

A bill to amend the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 to permit States to determine State residency for higher education purposes and to authorize the cancellation of removal and adjustment of status of certain alien students who are long-term United States residents and who entered the United States as children, and for other purposes. view all titles (3)

• Short: Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: DREAM Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Official: A bill to amend the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 to permit States to determine State residency for higher education purposes and to authorize the cancellation of removal and adjustment of status of certain alien students who are long-term United States residents and who entered the United States as children, and for other purposes. as introduced.

• GunnyG 01/06/2010 6:32am

IT figures that traitor DICK “Turban” Durbin would sponsor this chit. We need to RUN liberals out of this country forever!

bad2bone2212 01/18/2010 6:01pm

And people like you who do not care for other human beings are going straight to hell. Hope you are happy with that.

Student2010 01/29/2010 6:22pm

I personally believe that if a student works hard enough to get through High School and go to a College or University, they are obviously a productive and valuable member of our society. We need to give these, my own peers, a chance to go to College and plan their future with a clear map.

PASS THE DREAM ACT!

jamescomix 02/26/2010 8:55am

I’m undocumented and I do think that this bill would help many people. Personally Ive lived in the States for 14 years now- my mom took me here on her own when i was 6 and tried her best to take care of me. I dont blame her although i know now that what she did was wrong because the alternative choice was to let both of us suffer in an unlivable country. Single parents have it hard enough, but an undocumented single parent has it worse! She works two jobs for eight dollars an hour, we lived in a single bedroom apartment that was about 450 dollars a month, and she could never take sick days or we would be too far behind on rent. Two months out of each year we live without electricity so we can compensate for the lack of money so that we can buy new clothes or i can get school supplies for the year.

jamescomix 02/26/2010 8:56am

She pays taxes, which seems silly because she makes less than 20,000 a year. I have never heard of anyone paying taxes when making less than 20,0000 a year. We get no hand outs in anyway, shape or form! I’m getting a degree from community college which i payed for by working 12 hours a day for 50 dollars a day every saturday and sunday. I graduated top 5% of my class in highschool, and will be earning this degree with a 3.8 GPA. I dont do extra- activities because i work on my free time. I would like to attend a university but i cont have a clue as to how because of the money. It sickens me to hear when americans complain that we people taking jobs, accept handouts, spoil the system or great idea of America. To my understanding the U.S. exploits us more than we could ever exploit it. There is a reason why we are allowed to stay here, and its not because we are good at hiding. We dont hide- you can see us from miles away.

jamescomix 02/26/2010 8:56am
    Roads get built, buildings are made, and business flurish because our voices are scared and our will is weak. Imagine if all immagrants left the united states- what would happen? You would be out profited by every outside company. The combination of America’s social ideology and collective individualism would run it into the ground. History tought me this, america’s history tought me this, your history which i studied so well- taught me this.

For whatever you believe pro or con with this bill it probably doesnt matter.

This bill is being tabled…

• AMERICANANDPROUD 04/14/2010 9:56am

I understand there are a lot of misconceptions about these immigrant kids. First of all I would like to ask you all instead of calling them ILLEGAL to please refer to them as undocumented. They are here without a document that’s why they can’t prove they are legal residents of the US. They might have entered the country illegally but that doesn’t make the whole person illegal. That’s just a derogative term used like N*** was used for blacks a long time ago and even today (Sarah Palin’s tea party)

• AMERICANANDPROUD 04/14/2010 9:58am

). Second, my kids grew up with these kids and I’ve had them over my house and they are no different than how we were back in elementary, middle, and high school. They are the smart kids, the jocks, the leaders, the cheerleaders, the nerds, and all those other type of cliques that still exist to this day. They adapt to our ways and our customs and grow up among us and when you least expect it you find out that they are undocumented and can’t attend college. After knowing them for years and they drop that bomb on you is the worst feeling ever because you feel impotent with nothing to do to help your child’s best friend, or a family friend, or even your future son/daughter in law.

• AMERICANANDPROUD 04/14/2010 9:59am

They have to pay almost 4 times as much for college which they can’t afford and they can’t work because they don’t have the proper documentation, so what do they do? We have future doctors, social fighters, architects, lawyers, teachers, etc, just up in the air because they are stuck between a hard place and a rock. And even if they can’t afford college many of them turn to the military which still they can’t join, but still they are willing to go and fight for a country that doesn’t want them.

• AMERICANANDPROUD 04/14/2010 10:04am

Think about how many more kids would actually be attending colleges and universities and actually provide income to these places that way they won’t raise tuition for ALL the students. They would actually have appropriate documentation and they would pay taxes. Imagine the revenue the country would be getting. And imagine how many more would actually attend the military and think about it. President Obama sent a lot more troops to Iraq so were in need of more fighters to spread peace and freedom and democracy. This DREAM ACT sounds like something that would benefit every single one of us writing on this blog. I’m very open minded to any responses saying why this dream act shouldn’t be passed (educated responses)

concernedparent77 06/15/2010 8:34am

There are too many loopholes in the way its written. if an entire country can be divided by a simple phrase of “reasonable suspicion” and have numerous civil right organizations having penidng lawsuits due to this,Then, why not examine the way this proposed bill that you are advocating. This bill allows for American citizens like myself to pay for criminals to go to college. It allows for loop holes for those trying to harm us. If your that passionate about it, then get the writers of this bill to CHANGE how it is written.

• Josaphina 05/07/2010 12:38pm

PASS THE DREAM ACT!

• concernedparent77 06/01/2010 7:09am

Until the legal definition of “good moral character” changes. This law if enacted will allow criminals with felonies to get a higher education. And guess what american citizens will pay for it via tax dollars. “good moral character” is a BIG LOOP HOLE in terms of the immigration court system. It filters out most criminals but NOT ALL. Please look up this defintion and talk to a good criminal attorney and see how many FELONIES will pass in terms of “good moral charateer” You will be surprised. There should be NO ROOM FOR PEOPLE WITH CRIMINAL HISTORIES to protect our homeland security. Our brothers and sisters who sacrifice in harms way does not fight for our current legislation and court sytems to have loop holes.

• concernedparent77 06/01/2010 7:10am

Think of those that use our current system to harm us. The way this law is written allows for criminal with felonies. In addition, why does this law allow for people to leave the country for 365 calendar days. During that last year of this “conditional residency” they can go to another counrty, take part in extremists groups and train and come back to harm us. And how will the US goverment tract their activities or criminal activities outside the US if they are allowed to leave the country for and ENTIRE YEAR-A LOT CAN HAPPEN IN ONE YEAR!!!!!!! There are so many loop holes in this law, Its SCARY!!I can go on and on. Due to the contextual wording of the text of the law as a whole, I have to advocate AGAINST this law.

• jojonsam 06/13/2010 10:55pm

I think everyone should be given a chance to have their dreams come true, if not then what is this country really about. I am an american citizen and I am definitely for the Dream ACT….

• concernedparent77 06/15/2010 8:26am

You have to work for what you want out of life, and take nothing for granted. However, as you know, hopefully if you are indeed an American Citizen, we must protect our freedom. With laws like this one and how it is worded, it leaves MAJOR LOOP HOLES for harm to us. If I can be free of misdomenors or felonies, it shouldnt be that hard for those that are not citizens. There are countless things wrong with this bill as its written. This bill needs to be rewrote, then maybe just maybe it may have a chance. Dont expect everything to be free or easy. We as the United States of America and must protect ourselves. Our men and women do not go to face harms way for our laws to have dangerous alleys and passages for those who want to harm us. The laws need to be strict and fair. This proposed bill along with the Dream Act should not be passed as it is worded.

Hasotweb 09/19/2010 5:28am

“Protecting our freedom” is nothing but rhetoric. Certainly we have more to fear from domestic terrorism than anyone coming from Canada and Mexico. If anything, we should be doing something about all the people who have access to guns. That’d help protect our freedom—and our lives.

• BenjaWiz 09/17/2010 12:08am

illegals pay no taxes and should be deported and I hope soon :).

Hasotweb 09/19/2010 5:30am

You would like to deport the illegals? 100 million people in this country are suspected to be illegal. How feasible do you think it is to deport 10 million people? If you’d like, we could just raise taxes one hundred-fold to raise the money. Or, we could just borrow, borrow, borrow and hopefully we’ll get the money that way.

You’re an idiot. And I hope someday, you realize that just legalizing the lot of them and TAXING them, is a lot easier (and more economically beneficial) than deporting them.

• Hasotweb 09/19/2010 5:26am

The deportation of children who consider this country their home is tantamount of blasphemy in a land that is a God-given haven for peoples all over the world. These children should be given the right to education here and the opportunity to become Americans under the law, as they already are under the eyes of culture and society. To those who say it would entice parents to have their children here illegally, I say: who cares? All children have the right to an education and if I could I’d make every child in the world an American citizen. Oh, but then again, they’d overrun the beautiful little perfect white children wouldn’t they? Oh NOW I see why everyone’s so against this.

• MrCalzones 09/20/2010 12:51pm

I see the DREAM Act as a chance for an illegal undocumented individual WORK for their status. Its not an automatic thing where they just gain citizenship just because they qualify PLUS have “good moral character”. NOBODY shouldnt cut someones chances for a happy/good life and EVERYONE deserves a chance.

If anyones to blame because they are undocumented then blame their parents. Afterall they are the ones who entered illegaly WITH their minors. Im positive that when you were a little kid then you would follow your parents otherwise they would beat your ass. How do you know it wasnt the same for them?
    Another thing….ILLEGALS CANT LIVE OFF WELFARE SIMPLY BECAUSE THEY DONT QUALIFY!!!

pjmerc 09/21/2010 1:41pm

No they can not get welfare. But they can go to a hospital emergency room for routine care and walk away without paying. Emergency rooms are required to care for everyone no matter their financial status. So, who foots the bill for higher medical costs because the illegals don’t pay their share?

• mfbrian 09/21/2010 6:55am

Come one man…you people have cold hearts. Why should the children who came here without choice have to be denied some help with higher education?

What if it was you who was brought here at a young age? Are you suppose to comprehend what will happen if you do in fact come here? At age five an “illegal” child should be able to stop and think" ohh maybe I shouldn’t come to the United States because I will be “illegal” and I will not be able to get help pursing a higher education." Yeah right…..

It is sad to see that people aren’t changing…cold hearts in a cold world.

pjmerc 09/21/2010 1:39pm

Have a heart? I couldn’t afford to pay for community college for either of my children. Why should my taxes go to pay for someone else? It’s not fair to anyone. Blame their parents. Blame the economy. Blame the cold hearted people. Our handouts are making us go broke. Along the same line, why should the status be changed from illegal to conditional, just because they paid the college to attend classes?

Send Your Senator a Letter