S.729 - Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act of 2009

A bill to amend the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 to permit States to determine State residency for higher education purposes and to authorize the cancellation of removal and adjustment of status of certain alien students who are long-term United States residents and who entered the United States as children, and for other purposes. view all titles (3)

• Short: Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: DREAM Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Official: A bill to amend the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 to permit States to determine State residency for higher education purposes and to authorize the cancellation of removal and adjustment of status of certain alien students who are long-term United States residents and who entered the United States as children, and for other purposes. as introduced.

superwoman 05/18/2011 11:14am
in reply to rhonda Apr 04, 2009 8:16pm

I agree I am a US citizen Born and raised here For 26yrs. I am now a college student barely scraping by I cant even afford to attend college Yet I cant even receive Financial Aid from My state because they say I make too much, However I dont even make enough for GAS, RENt and FOOD needless to say add School into the mix. I am apalled by this bill and it makes me sick to think that I will be paying taxes when they arent and my tax money will be going to ILLEGAL people BRAKING THE LAW…. I mean I am a law abiding citizen, who does endless hours of community service, works full time for little pay, pays outrageous taxes on everything,Yet I am the one being punished because I cant get financial aid so I can go to college and advance my self. I had a 4.0 when I was able to attend college i have always gotten awesoem grades but is that a factor… UMMM NO! they are going to just give money to these people who pay no taxes and dont even have to claim the money they make.THIS SUCKS! UNFAIR!

Pathwerker 09/22/2010 2:17pm
in reply to marisol94 Sep 24, 2009 7:43pm

I beleive we all have the right to an education, and I hope the dream act passes. Don’t listen to the hypocrites. Hold on to your dream, Marisol. You are welcome to live it in MY America!

pjmerc 09/21/2010 1:41pm
in reply to MrCalzones Sep 20, 2010 12:51pm

No they can not get welfare. But they can go to a hospital emergency room for routine care and walk away without paying. Emergency rooms are required to care for everyone no matter their financial status. So, who foots the bill for higher medical costs because the illegals don’t pay their share?

pjmerc 09/21/2010 1:39pm
in reply to mfbrian Sep 21, 2010 6:55am

Have a heart? I couldn’t afford to pay for community college for either of my children. Why should my taxes go to pay for someone else? It’s not fair to anyone. Blame their parents. Blame the economy. Blame the cold hearted people. Our handouts are making us go broke. Along the same line, why should the status be changed from illegal to conditional, just because they paid the college to attend classes?

jeremiah77494 09/21/2010 9:25am
in reply to marisol94 Sep 24, 2009 7:19pm

You ask for reasons bills of this nature should be stopped…#1 – have we been able to audit the FED? NO…you know why? Because the injustices would cause revolution if the taxpayers knew how our hard earned money has been misappropriated! Do you recall when we broke from the British…ring a bell…a liberty bell?

1. - Add up how many hours you work every week before you even begin contributing to your own family and then ask yourself if we need to add more entitlements. Wake UP! WAKE UP! WAKE UP!
jeremiah77494 09/21/2010 9:24am
in reply to marisol94 Sep 24, 2009 7:19pm

Why should the taxpayers have to pay entitlements? Did you ever stop to think, if you quit allowing the government to fool you into believing they know better how to spend your money, you would have more and then, through your own choice, could then donate to private organizations to help educate illegals? The government is a crooked, mob-like organization that will rob you of your money and civil rights. Wake up Marisol94. Keep things on a private level so you have better visibilty and can audit.

jeremiah77494 09/21/2010 8:58am
in reply to StnMtnLatino Apr 06, 2009 10:06am

Quick to judge? Are you kidding me? There is no doubt education is paramount in any society, but why do I(we), the taxpayer(s) have to fund immigrant education and even more, why is my government telling me I HAVE to do so? If you sheep keep on encouraging the US government to grow bigger and more intrusive, then don’t complain when they are as oppressive as the Authoritarian countries you fled. NOTHING is free…immigrants need to come legally, assimilate and pay their own way. That’s the spirit that made America great, not the entitlement mentality you are foolishly spreading in your comment disguised with a few arbitrary figures. Peddle your nonsense somewhere else.

mfbrian 09/21/2010 6:55am

Come one man…you people have cold hearts. Why should the children who came here without choice have to be denied some help with higher education?

What if it was you who was brought here at a young age? Are you suppose to comprehend what will happen if you do in fact come here? At age five an “illegal” child should be able to stop and think" ohh maybe I shouldn’t come to the United States because I will be “illegal” and I will not be able to get help pursing a higher education." Yeah right…..

It is sad to see that people aren’t changing…cold hearts in a cold world.

MrCalzones 09/20/2010 12:51pm

I see the DREAM Act as a chance for an illegal undocumented individual WORK for their status. Its not an automatic thing where they just gain citizenship just because they qualify PLUS have “good moral character”. NOBODY shouldnt cut someones chances for a happy/good life and EVERYONE deserves a chance.

If anyones to blame because they are undocumented then blame their parents. Afterall they are the ones who entered illegaly WITH their minors. Im positive that when you were a little kid then you would follow your parents otherwise they would beat your ass. How do you know it wasnt the same for them?
Another thing….ILLEGALS CANT LIVE OFF WELFARE SIMPLY BECAUSE THEY DONT QUALIFY!!!

MrCalzones 09/20/2010 12:24pm
in reply to dblbull4me Sep 20, 2009 7:26am

Just because your family dates back to the olden days does that mean you should be treated like royalty and pampered like crazy?
or are you trying to say: “OH im legal. i dont have a job. Instead of passing the DREAM act we shoud get a bigger and fatter welfare checks so we can pay all our rent and bills and live off the government!”I say get a job! Work for your success!

How come your kids cant get a higher education?
Is it probably because:
-You DONT have a good job?
-You NEVER had a good job?
-You never managed your money the right way?

Im 100% positive that if your kids really deserved the education, im sure that if they worked hard for it they would have earned a scholarship or something nice to help them on their road.

Hasotweb 09/19/2010 5:30am
in reply to BenjaWiz Sep 17, 2010 12:08am

You would like to deport the illegals? 100 million people in this country are suspected to be illegal. How feasible do you think it is to deport 10 million people? If you’d like, we could just raise taxes one hundred-fold to raise the money. Or, we could just borrow, borrow, borrow and hopefully we’ll get the money that way.

You’re an idiot. And I hope someday, you realize that just legalizing the lot of them and TAXING them, is a lot easier (and more economically beneficial) than deporting them.

Hasotweb 09/19/2010 5:28am
in reply to concernedparent77 Jun 15, 2010 8:26am

“Protecting our freedom” is nothing but rhetoric. Certainly we have more to fear from domestic terrorism than anyone coming from Canada and Mexico. If anything, we should be doing something about all the people who have access to guns. That’d help protect our freedom—and our lives.

Hasotweb 09/19/2010 5:26am

The deportation of children who consider this country their home is tantamount of blasphemy in a land that is a God-given haven for peoples all over the world. These children should be given the right to education here and the opportunity to become Americans under the law, as they already are under the eyes of culture and society. To those who say it would entice parents to have their children here illegally, I say: who cares? All children have the right to an education and if I could I’d make every child in the world an American citizen. Oh, but then again, they’d overrun the beautiful little perfect white children wouldn’t they? Oh NOW I see why everyone’s so against this.

BenjaWiz 09/17/2010 12:08am

illegals pay no taxes and should be deported and I hope soon :).

bleasdell 09/16/2010 5:53am
in reply to herostyyle Apr 18, 2009 10:29am

Hero, if you have no problem paying high taxes to pay for illegal immigrants, please feel free to do so (this is a free country after all). But many (actually the large majority) of the US citizens do not want to pay for these people.

Second, please stop calling people names because of the beliefs that they hold. I don’t see anyone on here calling you “ignorant” because of your position on this issue.

bleasdell 09/16/2010 5:50am
in reply to bleasdell Sep 16, 2010 5:49am

I know you are saying “how can we just kick people out of the country who have lived here most of their lives? That is so cruel.” To that I say, “Life is not fair sometimes… and I have proof. The illegal immigrant population has been costing me tax dollars (and, unlike the virtually every illegal immigrant, I pay quite a bit in taxes every single year), which is VERY unfair.”

bleasdell 09/16/2010 5:49am
in reply to na_boo7ru Aug 12, 2009 3:45pm

No, you both miss the point. They are illegally in the US, according to the law. If you illegally parked your car somewhere, unknowingly, but then someone said to you “hey, is that your car parked in the fire lane?” Would you, or would you not immediately go move your car? Well, the children we are discussing here (re: the “DREAM” act) are old enough to know that they are breaking the law (they are college- and military-age, after all) and they should know full well that they need to rectify their residency status and become legal (or if they have been convicted of other crimes or are in any other way ineligible to receive citizenship or a temporary work Visa, they should leave the country).

bleasdell 09/16/2010 5:43am
in reply to GROM Apr 14, 2009 1:13pm

Just because she “feels American”, it does not make her American. She is a criminal because of her own actions (and her parents to boot). She should be working on getting her green card the same way all other law-abiding immigrants have.

bleasdell 09/16/2010 5:41am
in reply to herostyyle Apr 13, 2009 9:27am

Hero, first please stop screaming in the form of ALL CAPS. Second, we are not talking about kids raised here in the US like “you and I” (by the way, that should be “you and me”). The kids that this bill would “help” are illegally residing in the US. They are criminals, according to the law. Are you a criminal? I don’t think so (and hope not).

This bill does nothing more than reward people for doing the wrong thing. Furthermore, I have to ask “how is it, exactly, that colleges and even our own military will allow someone in who is currently breaking the law?”

We should fix that problem first, and the result would be the erasure of this “DREAM” act because it is no longer necessary.

kalanndra 06/23/2010 5:04pm
in reply to davis_jce Jun 01, 2009 6:09pm

I disagree that this law does not favor Americans. More educated people = more educated ideas, therefore more jobs, and fewer people on welfare, and a better society. It’s plain and simple.

kalanndra 06/23/2010 4:59pm
in reply to Americafirst Jun 13, 2009 2:18pm

Are you insane? The economy would crash in a day without all the LEGAL foreign workers. Besides, all of the large corporations would simply leave with that kind of regulation, and go for countries with more EDUCATED populations, such as China, India, Europe, etc.

kalanndra 06/23/2010 4:54pm
in reply to dblbull4me Sep 20, 2009 7:26am

Your taxes would not have made a difference in affording your kids education. Without the taxes, the cost of the education for you would go WAY up.

Excuse me, your family fought a war for freedom in America? Why did they fight the war? Was it by chance because, it was not theirs? Obviously, it was not.

Immigrants have taxes taken out of their paychecks like everyone else.

concernedparent77 06/15/2010 8:34am
in reply to AMERICANANDPROUD Apr 14, 2010 10:04am

There are too many loopholes in the way its written. if an entire country can be divided by a simple phrase of “reasonable suspicion” and have numerous civil right organizations having penidng lawsuits due to this,Then, why not examine the way this proposed bill that you are advocating. This bill allows for American citizens like myself to pay for criminals to go to college. It allows for loop holes for those trying to harm us. If your that passionate about it, then get the writers of this bill to CHANGE how it is written.

concernedparent77 06/15/2010 8:26am

You have to work for what you want out of life, and take nothing for granted. However, as you know, hopefully if you are indeed an American Citizen, we must protect our freedom. With laws like this one and how it is worded, it leaves MAJOR LOOP HOLES for harm to us. If I can be free of misdomenors or felonies, it shouldnt be that hard for those that are not citizens. There are countless things wrong with this bill as its written. This bill needs to be rewrote, then maybe just maybe it may have a chance. Dont expect everything to be free or easy. We as the United States of America and must protect ourselves. Our men and women do not go to face harms way for our laws to have dangerous alleys and passages for those who want to harm us. The laws need to be strict and fair. This proposed bill along with the Dream Act should not be passed as it is worded.

jojonsam 06/13/2010 10:55pm

I think everyone should be given a chance to have their dreams come true, if not then what is this country really about. I am an american citizen and I am definitely for the Dream ACT….

concernedparent77 06/01/2010 7:10am

Think of those that use our current system to harm us. The way this law is written allows for criminal with felonies. In addition, why does this law allow for people to leave the country for 365 calendar days. During that last year of this “conditional residency” they can go to another counrty, take part in extremists groups and train and come back to harm us. And how will the US goverment tract their activities or criminal activities outside the US if they are allowed to leave the country for and ENTIRE YEAR-A LOT CAN HAPPEN IN ONE YEAR!!!!!!! There are so many loop holes in this law, Its SCARY!!I can go on and on. Due to the contextual wording of the text of the law as a whole, I have to advocate AGAINST this law.

concernedparent77 06/01/2010 7:09am

Until the legal definition of “good moral character” changes. This law if enacted will allow criminals with felonies to get a higher education. And guess what american citizens will pay for it via tax dollars. “good moral character” is a BIG LOOP HOLE in terms of the immigration court system. It filters out most criminals but NOT ALL. Please look up this defintion and talk to a good criminal attorney and see how many FELONIES will pass in terms of “good moral charateer” You will be surprised. There should be NO ROOM FOR PEOPLE WITH CRIMINAL HISTORIES to protect our homeland security. Our brothers and sisters who sacrifice in harms way does not fight for our current legislation and court sytems to have loop holes.

Josaphina 05/07/2010 12:38pm

PASS THE DREAM ACT!

prek2phd 04/14/2010 9:04pm
in reply to alfred_cpa Jun 01, 2009 3:08pm

Valid Social Security numbers are sold and purchased each day here in the United States. Every system created can be exploited.

AMERICANANDPROUD 04/14/2010 10:04am

Think about how many more kids would actually be attending colleges and universities and actually provide income to these places that way they won’t raise tuition for ALL the students. They would actually have appropriate documentation and they would pay taxes. Imagine the revenue the country would be getting. And imagine how many more would actually attend the military and think about it. President Obama sent a lot more troops to Iraq so were in need of more fighters to spread peace and freedom and democracy. This DREAM ACT sounds like something that would benefit every single one of us writing on this blog. I’m very open minded to any responses saying why this dream act shouldn’t be passed (educated responses)

Send Your Senator a Letter