S.909 - Matthew Shepard Hate Crimes Prevention Act

A bill to provide Federal assistance to States, local jurisdictions, and Indian tribes to prosecute hate crimes, and for other purposes. view all titles (3)

• Official: A bill to provide Federal assistance to States, local jurisdictions, and Indian tribes to prosecute hate crimes, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Matthew Shepard Hate Crimes Prevention Act as introduced.
  • Short: Matthew Shepard Hate Crimes Prevention Act as introduced.

• b58 07/13/2009 7:27am

I guess Washington has not got any better thing to do except play the war of words on passing a law that already exists. We have laws against robbing banks but that has never stopped anyone from trying and some even gets away for a while. We all hate bank robbers but are they going to pass a law to let them go. If the law enforcement thinks it is a hate crime then charge them and let the court decide what to do about it. Everyone gets there day in court if they break the law. That is the way our system should be is let the judge and jury decide the intent of crimes of breaking the law unless they are wanting to bypass a trial and sentence them without a trial.

TinaStorm 07/13/2009 8:33am

If Preachers, Ministers or any other Clergy is innocent of any climinal activity behind the pulpit, then they have nothing to fear. Let’s not forget, a church is an established business that recieves a special tax status. It is the government’s business to ensure their business is not encouraging harrassment of other groups.
    Where do you thind Alquida started? Take a look at the Nazi history, oh ya they are trying to rewrite their history. OK, just ask Rev. Fred Phelps his openions.

• krystaltgirl 07/13/2009 2:11pm

“promote behavior that the bible says is wrong” Hello when will you christians realize that the framers of the constitution went out of there way to establish a “wall between church and state” – Thomas Jefferson. The government’s laws are not here to reflect your churches views honey…. I know everyone of you christians just can’t get past the notion of this. You can choose to paint the picture that the GLBT population is mentally ill or some how trouble inside, but just because you can’t or won’t accept that we are just as sane and or healthy as you doesn’t make your beliefs right. It’s common for people of the bible to label things they don’t understand as against God, they have been doing that since the beginning of relgion and unfortunately modern christians seem no more intelligent then there predesessors. Like I said before the world isn’t really flat.

• BIGMOUTHMOM 07/13/2009 5:44pm

We have existing laws on the books to cover this. This law does nothing more than to elevate select groups of people which I believe is segregating and discriminating. Let the law rule as it already stands which encompasses all the people.

TinaStorm 07/14/2009 4:27pm

You would rather keep those who have been discriminated against and segregated from you in those same old pigon holes where they have been all along, right? I think you should get off that ‘High Horse’ and walk in the shoes of someone who has been discrimated against, perhaps a black person, a Jew, a homosexual. I think you would change your tune. PS: I am a Christian, and I love Everyone, even you, despite your obvious ignorance.

• BIGMOUTHMOM 07/13/2009 5:51pm

Oh and to krystaltgirl, apparently you don’t like christians as they do not agree with the homosexual life choice, be careful if this law passes what you have said above could get you into real trouble. Think about what you are asking for and how it affects you.

TinaStorm 07/14/2009 4:38pm

Homosexuality is not a life choice anymore than hetrosexuality is, or downs syndrome. The only choice is, “do I live a life as society dictates,” or “do I live a life that meets the needs of my orientation.” I agree with one thing you have said, we should all be careful with with the words that come out of our mouths. I think the Bible spells it out better, ‘the toung is a vile and deadly weapon,’ it has the power to bring life or kill. It is sad we must have laws like this one, it reminds me of the children of Israle who wandered the wilderness for 40 years, God had to prune the bad away.

• krystaltgirl 07/13/2009 7:20pm

Bigmouthmom…. you obviously haven’t read this bill…. it has no effect on free speech and no I don’t dislike christian because they disagree with my life style… I have said numerous times I couldn’t care less how christians feel towards me, I don’t live my life for them, nor do I seek to silence them in their churches… I don’t care what they preach amoung themselves I won’t be there. What I hate is how they seek to push their beliefs off on me. The country I fought for protects the rights of all of us and not just the christian right. I will fight for my freedoms from christian wackos…. don’t think I won’t…However I will grant you the right to be ignorant in your stupid churches….just stay the hell out of mine in the political and public realm…. I won’t be in your church…. so stay out of mine!!!!

• krystaltgirl 07/13/2009 7:48pm

Bigmouthmom….I noticed how many of you christians equate patriatism with your christian beliefs (the eagle and all) .. Did you fight in combat for your country and your freedoms…. Hmmm I doubt it..

BIGMOUTHMOM 07/15/2009 5:58pm

First what makes you think I am a christian, because I disagree with a special law in place for certain groups of citizens?? I get the feeling you are angry because everyone doesn’t agree with you and you are trying to force you desires on everyone to accept them. Maybe you should stop bashing those who disagree with you and this bill based on what I have read of it it is discriminatory. Now isn’t that just grand I thought we were stiving as a country to eliminate discrimination? This law does the exact opposite and maybe you should think of how this will affect perves preying on our kids instead of jumping to conclusion about homosexuality.

• DobieDebbi 07/14/2009 2:15pm

Being human, we all tend to “believe” our own propaganda. The importance of having a hate crime bill is in protectiing all law abiding citizens from each other when they disagree to the point of wanting to harm others. This kind of bill is as likely to protect a Christian as it is a homosexual. Good neighbor – shares food and water; does not hurt my family in any way. Bad neighbor – lies, steals, does not share means to live in an emergency, hits me over the head with a rock. Both of these neighbors can be hetero or homo – sexual. I will support legislation for the good neighbor…I can tell the difference.

• sea_shell 07/14/2009 6:58pm

The Hate Crimes Prevention act favors spending more resources combating crimes motivated by hate than, for example theft. That means if a victim of theft suffers the exact same injuries as a hate-crimes victim, the theft victim’s assailant will have a better chance of escaping justice.

I believe the outcome of the crime has to be used to determine how much recources are allocated to fighting it. Otherwise, it could end up that a hate crimes victim with a bloody nose is given more resources than a victim who has been stabbed during a robbery.

TinaStorm 07/15/2009 12:47pm

For your information, there is no tracking system for hate crimes nationally, and most states in the country fail miserably at that task, yet many homicides seem to have a link to some type of hate crime. Your concern for a bloody nose and a stabbing could both be hate crimes. Either way, police detectives will recieve additional funding for their investigations and I am IN FAVOR OF THAT. I don’t think a simple theft was the direction of these resources, and if you had read the bill, you would know this.

• krystaltgirl 07/15/2009 8:05pm

To bigmouth….Why do I bash the Christian right…. Simple… they go out of their way to spread mistruths regarding the gay community. You are feeding into it yourself when you say this bill will protect pediphiles. How many times do I have to remind you all that the act of pediphilia is a crime in all 50 states and would not be protected under this bill.. but you all continue to pump out that line of shit because you know that brain dead christians will fall for it every time. My being gay is not a crime in any state … even if you would like for it to be…. and yes I get very offended when christians try to create a mental link between being gay and being a pediphile…(not attracked to your little snotnosed fetuses and never was thank you, but you can keep them!)

driman03 07/16/2009 6:02am

If what you’re saying is true, I agree 100%. Just because you’re gay doesn’t mean you are in any way involved in pediphilia. And I didn’t see anything in this bill that even mentions pediphila (I may have overlooked it but I don’t think so).

• krystaltgirl 07/15/2009 8:08pm

Now as to your claim of discrimination…… how long have lived in the transgendered world….. once you have for at least a year come back and try to sell that horse shit your trying to peddle… then we can talk about discrimination.

• krystaltgirl 07/15/2009 8:17pm

And finally as to your repeated comment about me being upset with christians because they disagree with my homosexual lifestyle… (I realize your a right winger and are used to spoon fed thought and might struggle with the ability to think on your own, so I will repeat it real slow) no I don’t dislike christian because they disagree with my life style… I have said numerous times I couldn’t care less how christians feel towards me, I don’t live my life for them, nor do I seek to silence them in their churches… I don’t care what they preach amoung themselves, I won’t be there. What I hate is how they seek to push their beliefs off on me.

• krystaltgirl 07/15/2009 8:23pm

Hey phans you still at home reading your latest edition of guns and ammo and planning for great uprising with the jews and homosexuals?

• Treezuz 07/16/2009 7:03am

I personally don’t think God(or whatever you want to call Him) dislikes people based on sexual, religious, or ethnic background. He is a Higher Power. I would think He would be smarter and better than that. He does not think like we do. He has been around for all of time and creation. If He did not want Gays or Blacks or Asians or Whites or any others I am sure He would not of made them. It is His world not ours and it is His will that will prevail.

As for this bill its just a long line of political trash coming out of Washington. Who cares why someone said something. If he kills someone is it not still murder…If someone is raped is it not still rape….Why does everyone need “Protection”. I do believe that evil people are in power in Washington and they will do anything to take your rights, your land, your kids, and your money from you. Its not Republican or Democrat, its evil vs good. Evil has no political affiliation.

andoerin 07/16/2009 8:37am

I agree this bill is not about religion or hating christians, if fact this bill specifically says it excludes free speach; which allows whoever to say whatever they want about any minority, just not beat them to death. At anyrate I am against it for two reasons. One it is a tag on to spending approprations, so now anybody that votes against spending will also be labeled as a minority hater. Sounds like Demo-Repuli building up slander cases for the next re-election. Really they are all “republi-cRATS” Secondly because as stated by Treezuz; this actually fuels hatred by bringing up the differences in skin, sexuality, etc. Whether your black or white or gay or straight- murder is murder and assault is assault. There shouldn’t be a lawful distinction dependant on skin, sexual preferance, or gender.

TinaStorm 07/16/2009 3:50pm

You forgot gender identity. But currently there is no defined law to prevent harrassment, or unfair treatment of ethnics, gays or transgender people and until there is we will continue to be placed at the bottom of consideration and allowed to be harrassed and victimized.

TinaStorm 07/16/2009 3:34pm

The problem is, not every state addresses the issues equally. For instance, when a woman is murdered in the state of Illinois, the convicted criminal can expect to see a maximum of 12 years in prison; conversly, when a man is murdered, the convicted criminal could see more than 35 years.

If a gay or transgender is murderred in the U.S., it is not likely that a suspect will be brought to trial, or recieve equal justice. If your child were gay or transgender, how would that make you feel. We keep up with our lost. www.rememberingourdead.org

• krystaltgirl 07/16/2009 8:45am

This may come as a surprise to some of you…. but I actually agree with you all.. I agree that a crime is a crime and as I have said before here to the victim it is 100% hate motivated.. so my question then posed to the recent commentors is how do we insure that all victims are treated as such (victims) and equal justice is applied even if you are transgendered like myself…. cause I can assure from my own experiences it is not currently being done…. So how do we as an educated country do this …. thank you by the way…. finally some people with a brain and not just a cross to wave

Treezuz 07/16/2009 11:33am

Many people in this world have been treated with ill by our government. I think it is a flaw with the way our society is. Most people cannot look past skin color, sexual persuasion, or religious beliefs. This is because we are so divided as people. Everyone with a problem has a group, lobbyist, or lawyer to fight for “Their” rights. What about just Rights in general. Rights for Everyone. Just more ways to divide us and keep our eyes off the real meaning of things. This is the easiest way to conquer a peoples. I do believe that a war is coming. All you have to do is look at history. Advanced civilizations always end up falling. Usually from within. So bills like this scare me. These people have power now. We are under a state of emergency as a country. Our government as of right now can black bag me, fly me to a foreign soil, not give me a trial, torture me and detain me forever(or until the revolution). How about some protection against that.

• waycoolsnoopy 07/16/2009 8:50am

First of all, it is patently stupid (and dangerous) for the government to determine what someone may be thinking when they commit a crime. Second, this leftist police-state ill-conceived legislation denies regular citizens equal protection under the law. You know, the 14th amendment? I know, there’s that damn Constitution “thing” again getting in the way of your liberal, leftist, communist agenda. Hate crime laws ARE against the law by definition. It is illegal and UNEQUAL TREATMENT to punish someone more because of what you, the State, think might be in some else’s head! Finally, this reprehensible legislation while it does not make the crime of pedophilia or other deviant behavior legal, it does potentially expose a citizen to legal jeopardy for defending themselves or others against pedophiles or other “protected” dirt-bags.

• krystaltgirl 07/16/2009 9:06am

Sorry Snoopy but your a right wing moron who doesn’t understand the bill and only wants to protect your narrow view of America….. not even worth debating with…. go hang out with phans and j and plan for the great uprising…

• krystaltgirl 07/16/2009 9:17am

Oh by the way I think the great uprising is coming about the same time as the return of the great pumpkin

• driman03 07/16/2009 9:25am

I would like for a Christian to read the entire bill and then tell me how it is taking away any of your rights. Don’t give me what pat robertson told you on the 700 club, read it for yourself. Because I’m a Christain too and I don’t see anything wrong with this bill. It seems like people are getting all worked up over things that aren’t actually included in the bill

• cosmicdave 07/16/2009 2:40pm

I am a Christian, I have read the bill, and everything Pat Robertson has said about on 700 Club is absolutely wrong. He is completely lying.
    1. Pedophiles will not get protection under this bill. Pedophilia is a crime in all 50 states. Pedophilia is not recognized as a ‘sexual orientation’ by any reputable, educated Sociologist or Psychiatrist.
    2, It will not lead to other perversions under the ‘umbrella’ of sexual orientation. The standard understanding of sexual orientation is used. i.e. straight, gay, bisexual, transgendered.
    3. It clearly states this about violent crimes, not thoughts or speech.
    Harry Reid even explained this to a TX senator during hearings, and his is STILL telling constituents that it will hold thoughts and speech of pastors accountable. WRONG.
    4. A pastor can still preach whatever they believe. This does not affect them or their teachings.

TinaStorm 07/16/2009 3:57pm

Congradulations CosmicDave. You win the grand prize on knowledge and understanding. It is obvious you have actually spent time reading the bill. You are the kind of guy I have been praying for. Amen

Send Your Senator a Letter