H.R.2306 - Ending Federal Marijuana Prohibition Act of 2011

To limit the application of Federal laws to the distribution and consumption of marihuana, and for other purposes. view all titles (3)

• Official: To limit the application of Federal laws to the distribution and consumption of marihuana, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Ending Federal Marijuana Prohibition Act of 2011 as introduced.
  • Short: Ending Federal Marijuana Prohibition Act of 2011 as introduced.

• FreeRoamer 06/24/2011 4:24pm
    + 35

Kudos to Barney Frank, Ron Paul, and the other congressmen brave enough to publicly support this bill.

Legalize marijuana!

• EgadsNo 06/27/2011 6:20am
    + 21

Remember this republicans, the elderly are the largest supporters of medical marijuana. Not only do almost all of them have something pot can help them with- but they vote. Young parents are predominantly who is against marijuana reform. The real youth are irrelevant- they dont vote.

Every elderly person has a disease that medical marijuana can help them with- and they almost all know of someone good who has been screwed over by laws against it. They almost all know someone who is using it that swears by it, this masquerade is ending- there is ample scientific evidence to support this bill, it has even been paid for by the US FED.

Dont end up looking like a fool by spouting rhetoric that everyone knows is lies. Help this bill pass and be regarded as heroes.

hcmichael17 11/18/2012 1:16pm

it is good we share viewpoints, i think ending marijuana prohibition is a must. however, it’s not good that you stereotype republicans. many support legalization. not only average citizens but senators and representatives too. just look at ron paul.

• djw2 06/27/2011 12:07pm

Does anyone know where I can read it? I want to support it… but I need to read it.

• rogueit 06/27/2011 2:37pm

I believe you can find the full text of the bill here.

• djw2 06/28/2011 12:24am
    + 12

Yep… that’s it alright. I think it’s great. The bill ads the interstate transport restrictions, but aside from that, it simply strikes marijuana from the code… removes it entirely from schedule 1.

I’m not sure it gets any better than this.

• rogueit 06/28/2011 9:54am
    + 10

How can we ensure that this gets a public hearing?

• ablanford 06/30/2011 12:02pm

The two opposed to this bill are most likely anti-constitution, pro oppression law enforcement or DEA. Because all thinking individuals know and understand that this bill merely moves the responsibility of regulation to the States, where it should be.

Down with the DEA! DOWN WITH THE OPPRESSIVE DEA!

nduchane 01/13/2012 6:29am

The only reason I don’t support this bill is because it doesn’t put any regulation on where and when you can smoke it. Is it fair that you can smoke marijuana anywhere you want but i cant even smoke a cigarette outside my house or car?
    And other thing is I don’t want people driving high because car wrecks already count for 1/2 of the amount of deaths in the US. And don’t say “i drive better/the same high” because that’s exactly what a drunk driver says right before he accidentally kills a family of four on the way to get more liquor.
    I’m a “thinking individual” and I’m way too young to be part of the “DEA”. This is a sensitive issue for most people and should have BASIC guidelines set by the national government and give the rest down to the states.

WhitneyRose 03/20/2012 9:15pm

Driving under the influence applies not just to alcohol but to any substance that impairs driving. I agree that there should be some language about where it can be smoked. I feel like it is fine to start small with the main concept of ending prohibition and then add in restrictions which will likely pass easily.

PMOREL22 11/09/2012 3:45pm

Shouldn’t where you can and cannot smoke be decided by local governments the same way cigarette smoking is banned in public places and parks in certain cities?

• gene999 07/01/2011 2:44am

Yes ablanford may be you right.Is gorw of Marijuana Seeds legal??

soflbass 01/20/2012 8:52pm

Nobody said anything about you could smoke pot wherever you wanted to. The states already decide where you can smoke cigarette and cigars. States would likely amend the laws to include pot too. Comparing driving by lumping pot in with alcohol is about as stupid as, complaining about something you never even tried.

• fluffymetal 07/01/2011 9:47am
    + 29

“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” – Thomas Jefferson

mowerman867 12/11/2011 6:21am

Used that very nicely,Did you see the man had put your saying up on the White House Web site????Even gave you “a best saying of the week thing”,Good Job keep up the good work….

nduchane 01/13/2012 6:38am

“Beer, if drunk with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health” –Thomas Jefferson

He said Beer promotes health… They must have had some pretty different beer back then. Point is you can’t argue by just putting a quote from a dead guy. That doesn’t prove anything and its not helping whatever side you’re on.

zankulong 09/19/2012 8:18pm

he side in moderation not get destuctively drunk like most people so that saying doesn’t help you.

josh89147 02/17/2013 2:39pm

i am a bartender and yes that is true i grad with a bach. beverage managment degree at unlv this is what everybody that knows abought achool will tell you “a beer a day will keep the cold away”.

gregfranklin 08/09/2012 10:53am

love your comment fluffymetal

• ablanford 07/01/2011 10:08pm

That is a Thomas Jefferson quote I haven’t heard! Awesome fluffymetal.

• KearThyn 07/02/2011 3:50pm

EgadsNo, “Every elderly person has a disease that medical marijuana can help them with.” Really? REALLY?
    Ugh.
    Not every elderly person has a disease, and not all of them can be helped with medical marijuana. She’s not in any pain, but my grandma can’t walk. Will marijuana help her?

That being said, I’m still on the fence about this law. I think people who use recreational marijuana are too chicken to face the real world, but the tax revenue from it could help our economy and put drug dealers out of business. It’d be safer, too, and much more regulated. It would be more accessible too, which isn’t too great, but…I don’t know. As I said, I’m still undecided.

mowerman867 12/11/2011 6:31am

Understand your concearn with grandmother ,Ive been in a accident had so many surgies that well cant count them on both my hands so over ten, pain rules my day cant take any meds that the Hospital gives me,But i eat some marijuana and pain goes to were i can stand it..To the right people this works please help with this issue sounds as you are concearned enought about your grandmother and well try it with her see what happens….As the saying goes “you never know”

soflbass 01/20/2012 9:10pm

Jeez another one that can’t think for themselves. Apparent from your comment you are still too young to get it. Using your GM to compare apples to oranges is just wrong. THAT being said, let’s put it this way. What the commenter was eluding to actually reaches much farther than only the elderly. I say that for all the over and under the counter drugs we Americans take, if weed was legal, most people could discontinue wouldn’t have to use them. They would save the expense of the meds and forego the pain of withdrawal from stopping the so called legal dope. Ever been around anyone tryin to kick pain pills?

Pot is the panacea but nobody will admit it because of the power the drug companies have over us and the propaganda the government has fed us since we were babies. Didn’t anyone see Refer Madness? And i’ll bet every one of you that smokes pot will agree. Pain pill or a joint which one would you choose?

• rudepeople 07/02/2011 4:52pm

@gene999: I cant help but read a little into your post… you do not appear to have read the bill, the bill is not about legalizing anything. Where it is illegal, it will remain illegal. This Law will take the power to regard it as legal or illegal from the Federal government and place it into the hands of the states.

@KearThyn: I agree to some degree that the elderly aren’t ALL sick or in need of narcotics… but a good number of them are, or have direct connection to someone who does… I think that’s what EgadsNo was getting at… though I could be wrong.

As for the law itself, I’m for it… I think that rather than jumping from a runaway bus it’s better to take the wheel and try to redirect it to someplace positive. and the war on drugs has become a runaway bus. It’s time for some sanity.

QUALIFIER: I don’t do drugs, don’t smoke, and I don’t even drink. But I think I should have the right to choose.

• biff4567 07/02/2011 6:48pm

There are a few things to look at here when thinking of the matter,
    The first thing I look at is learning from other people’s mistakes or choices that have positively effected their economy, way of living and health.
    The best reference is obviously the Netherlands, Marijuana is legal there and their economy will always be supported by the tax money they collect from regulating Marijuana. Their health is also very good, better than the US in some aspects, and their way of living is not effected by Marijuana in a negative way, they are as functional as any other part of the world and maybe more so than others. So my question is, why do we even have a prohibition on Marijuana? If there is one thing the United States Government could easily do is to begin regulating Marijuana, tax it and stop having to battle the war on Marijuana that drains so much of our funds. Some of these funds should be spent on informing the people that marijuana isn’t good for you, to keep the people safe. LEGALIZE

MzDali 01/18/2012 3:19am

Biff… No where in the world is cannabis legal, not even Amsterdam. It is tolerated as in many other places, however, even though it is permitted in coffee shops to purchase and use, it is illegal for the shops to purchase outside of the shop. Many places have decriminalized small amounts for personal use but it is still illegal everywhere.

To remove cannabis from schedule I would be wonderful and allow states to decide. I support legalizing. I have always felt medicinal use is beneficial for many ailments. In California, where it is permitted to use medicinally, the dispenseries pay taxes on their sales. A LOT of taxes! In Oakland there is a dispensary that should serve as a model of what a dispensary should be. Not only do they offer medical grade cannabis in many forms, they also encourage meditation, yoga, accupressure and counseling on medicinal use. Not your average “drug” dealer, but a respectable place of business where ill people feel confortable and safe.

soflbass 01/20/2012 9:21pm

Hey Mz, whether it is “legal” or “tolerated” makes little difference. The point here it you can do what is perfectly natural with it without fear the cops will bust you in the head, take your stuff, then use it themselves or give it away. But we don’t have any corruption in my city.

soflbass 01/20/2012 9:14pm

I like how you think. I have learned most people in the world can’t use deductive logic. THat’s why it is still illegal in most states.

• soldot 07/02/2011 9:37pm

i have never posted or commented on a bill, but this is something that really needs to be considered. it is natures way of medicine and a safer alternative to drinking, as marijuana does not affect the CNS the same way as alcohol. please Congress, ima young man from virginia and i know that this would extremely be beneficial to our economy and a major blow on the drug dealers on the street that would sell to anyone. any age. THATS SCARY. id rather know my children couldnt get ahold of it unless they were to make a fake i.d. and thats impossible even then nowadays with all the safety features on our i.d. cards. just please Congress, please America. i love you both. you have done so much for me but i just completely and honestly know this would be beneficial to our whole country.

• ablanford 07/03/2011 2:26pm

Text of Bill here!

For some reason the text isn’t yet available.