H.R.2847 - American Specialty Agriculture Act
To create a nonimmigrant H-2C work visa program for agricultural workers, and for other purposes. view all titles (2)
All Bill Titles
- Official: To create a nonimmigrant H-2C work visa program for agricultural workers, and for other purposes. as introduced.
- Short: American Specialty Agriculture Act as introduced.
This Bill currently has no wiki content. If you would like to create a wiki entry for this bill, please Login, and then select the wiki tab to create it.
- Today: 3
- Past Seven Days: 21
- All-Time: 2,380
Official Summary9/7/2011--Introduced.American Specialty Agriculture Act - Amends the Immigration and Nationality Act to establish an H-2C nonimmigrant visa for an alien having a residence in a foreign country which he or she has no intention of abandoning and who is coming temporarily (10-month maximum pe
Official Summary9/7/2011--Introduced.American Specialty Agriculture Act - Amends the Immigration and Nationality Act to establish an H-2C nonimmigrant visa for an alien having a residence in a foreign country which he or she has no intention of abandoning and who is coming temporarily (10-month maximum per contract period) to the United States to perform agricultural labor or services, including the pressing of apples for cider on a farm. Requires an employer or employer association to file an H-2C petition with the Department of Agriculture (USDA) which shall include specified employment-related attestations. Sets forth provisions regarding:
(2) working conditions, wages, and transportation reimbursement;
(3) admissions and extensions of stay;
(4) abandonment of employment and worker replacement;
(5) legal assistance; and
(6) arbitration and mediation. Requires the Secretary of Agriculture to conduct investigations and random audits of employer work sites. Requires an employer to guarantee to offer the worker employment for the hourly equivalent of at least 50% of the work hours during the total anticipated period of employment. Limits the number of annual fiscal year H-2C admissions. Prohibits the admission of spouses and children of H-2C workers. Extends coverage under the Migrant and Seasonal Agricultural Worker Protection Act to H-2C workers. Makes the provisions of this Act effective two years after its enactment. Terminates authority to petition for H-2A temporary agricultural workers two years after enactment of this Act.
...Read the Rest
Organizations Supporting H.R.2847
- The Latino Partnership for Conservative Principles
- American Horse Council
- The Partnership for a New American Economy
- North Carolina Growers Association
- Titan Farms
- United States Association of Farm, Agribusiness, Ranch & Migrant Employers
- ...and 2 more. See all.
Organizations Opposing H.R.2847
- Farmworker Justice
- The National Milk Producers Federation
- The National Immigration Law Center
- Florida Legal Services, Migrant Farmworker Justice Program
Latest Letters to Congress
H.R.2847 American Specialty Agriculture Act
September 14, 2011
I am writing as your constituent in the 4th Congressional district of Tennessee. I support H.R.2847 - American Specialty Agriculture Act, and am tracking it using OpenCongress.org, the free public resource website for government transparency and accountability. I'm also very supporting of this act. I live in the Nursery capital of the world, Warren County, Tennessee, and we have a lot of illegal workers here. Thank you.