The easiest way to email your members of CongressDonate Now
H.R.4261 - REVAMP with Community Colleges Act of 2012
To direct the Secretary of Labor to establish a competitive grant program for community colleges to train veterans for local jobs.
Loading Bill Text
Rollover any line of text to comment and/or link to it.
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
This Act may be cited as the ‘Revamping the Education of our Veterans to Align Manufacturing through Partnerships with Community Colleges Act of 2012’ or ‘REVAMP with Community Colleges Act of 2012’.CommentsClose CommentsPermalink
SEC. 2. FINDINGS.
(1) In December 2011, the unemployment rate for veterans who had returned from Iraq and Afghanistan was 13.1 percent, a rate above the national average. Unemployment among returning female and minority veterans was even higher, and also was above the national average.CommentsClose CommentsPermalink
SEC. 3. GRANT PROGRAM TO TRAIN VETERANS FOR LOCAL JOBS.
(a) In General- The Secretary, in consultation with the Secretary of Veterans Affairs, shall establish a program to award competitive grants to eligible community colleges (as described in subsection (b)) to train covered veterans for jobs in the local community.CommentsClose CommentsPermalink
(b) Eligibility- In order to be eligible to receive a grant under this section, a community college shall submit an application to the Secretary that demonstrates, to the satisfaction of the Secretary, that the local community in which the community college is located has--CommentsClose CommentsPermalink
(2) carry out an existing, or develop and implement a new, certificate or degree program at the community college that provides training to covered veterans that addresses the demand for additional trained employees among local employers, including local manufacturers; andCommentsClose CommentsPermalink
(3) facilitate the establishment of an advisory board that consists of representatives from the local business community and the employee from the Department of Veterans Affairs detailed under section 4--CommentsClose CommentsPermalink
SEC. 4. DETAIL OF DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS EMPLOYEE.
SEC. 5. GRANT AMOUNT.
SEC. 6. REPORT.
SEC. 7. DEFINITIONS.
(1) COMMUNITY COLLEGE- The term ‘community college’ has the meaning given the term ‘junior or community college’ in section 312(f) of the Higher Education Act of 1965 (
SEC. 8. AUTHORIZATION OF APPROPRIATIONS.
Vote on This Bill
OC Blog Articles Related To This Bill
- House GOP Blocks Child Nutrition Bill Dec 02, 2010
- Reid Promises a Lame-Duck Vote on the DREAM Act Oct 31, 2010
- Reid Schedules DREAM Act Vote Sep 15, 2010
- Education Funding Bill: Costly Bailout Or Jobs Saving Measure? Apr 21, 2010
- Finance Committee Health Care Bill Could Lead to Massive Job Discrimination Aug 05, 2009