H.R.589 - Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act of 2011

To amend title IV of the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for additional weeks of first-tier emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (4)

• Official: To amend title IV of the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for additional weeks of first-tier emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act of 2011 as introduced.
  • Short: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act of 2011 as introduced.

vinmarly 04/10/2011 11:10am

as i stated your exactly the type of person who would support obama/biden 2012. welcome aboard. we want people like you. 100 percent wrong. 100 percent confident.

• vinmarly 04/10/2011 11:18am

praise obama for he will guide us. we may not know the reason he only pays attention to or supports the top 2 percent like GE, but we must not question his actions. we must not research why or anything about him. we must do what we are told. obama and biden are the smartest people on earth. and they know whats best for all of us. we all must close our eyes ignore all reality and support these two geniuses. for we are peons. i’m going to turn over my shift to sher pretty soon. i just need 5 more obama/biden supporters so i can get my free acorn house money check. please people come on!

WasMiddleClass 04/10/2011 11:30am

And I suppose you think the Republicans care about us lowly 99%?

• WasMiddleClass 04/10/2011 11:18am

I think we will be seeing a lot of “trolls” before too long with elections and the budget coming up.

I hope the Dem and Repub supporters have fun fighting it out, while the resistance grows fast, and organizes….

• WasMiddleClass 04/10/2011 11:42am

Irrespective of the party in power, the U.S. government primarily responds to the demands of large corporations and well-funded special interest groups, rather than the concerns of ordinary voters – the workers and small business owners of America.

Every four years the two main political parties construct “platforms” as publicity gimmicks to get their candidates elected.

After the election, both parties ignore their platform “policies” and begin to take care of themselves and their financial supporters, rather than to do what they promised to do for the rest of us.

Access by individuals to their elected officials is the foundation of a democratic republic. However, the election of our representatives is now more dependent upon the massive expenditures of campaign contributions from their corporate sponsors, their wealthy friends, and well-funded, special interest groups rather than upon a meaningful vote by an informed electorate.

• WasMiddleClass 04/10/2011 11:43am

No matter how deeply we ordinary citizens dig into our pockets, we cannot financially compete with these powerful forces.

No matter how well we organize, we cannot match the influence of lobbyists and political insiders.

No matter how often we march and protest, they will always beat us through the side door into the corridors of power.

Revolt or Evolt?

Since we have been abandoned by our government and our political parties, we must collectively focus upon a peaceful method to modify our government to one which more attentively considers the needs and concerns of all voters, whether Republican, Democrat, Reform, Libertarian, Green, Independent, or other

• WasMiddleClass 04/10/2011 11:49am

While Congress bickers and the President dithers, roads are crumbling, bridges are failing, dams are cracking, and water and sewer systems are leaking all across the United States. If that’s not enough to worry about, the government is threatening to default on the $2.5 Trillion it has borrowed from the Social Security Trust Fund, and few private employers are offering decent retirement plans.

• adamaiken 04/10/2011 11:50am

This is a waste of time. I own my own house free and clear and my taxes are affordable at 2000 a year. I own my own cars, paid for. I am earning enough money and will retire in five years. Any bills that are passed will not affect me. I have several ways of earning a good living. My concern at this point is for others so I will vote my conscience. My brother has been working for the big Wall Street companies since 1986 and his wife is also high up in management for one of the big banks. Together they earn high in the six figures. They are set for life and yet they voted Democratic and will probably vote that way again because they have a conscience. They express concern all the time about what the REpublicans and especially Bush did to this country. What really is ironic is that their concern is wasted. The very people they are hoping to help will not even help themselves but instead continue to vote against their own best interests.

WasMiddleClass 04/10/2011 11:53am

Ummm…weren’t you the one saying that you only had seaweed to eat?

Maybe it was someone else…

WasMiddleClass 04/10/2011 11:56am

Here it is :P

adamaiken 03/07/2011 4:24pm
    flag Link Reply
    + 0

The only meat I have right now is venison. I have had nothing else for the past year. I basically am living on rice and beans. I buy a pack of 100 sheets of seaweed at 10 cents a sheet and have a sheet or two a day in hot water. That’s it. If I hear one more Republican say that we all need to tighten our belts, I may go beserk

• WasMiddleClass 04/10/2011 12:01pm

Do tell Adam, which one is it?

OR

I own my own house free and clear and my taxes are affordable at 2000 a year. I own my own cars, paid for. I am earning enough money and will retire in five years. Any bills that are passed will not affect me. I have several ways of earning a good living??

ಠ⌣ಠ

• WasMiddleClass 04/10/2011 12:07pm

And to think I was going to share my very real venison with you…..

• WasMiddleClass 04/10/2011 12:16pm

I owed you one for this Adam :)

adamaiken 12/19/2010 2:04pm
    flag Link Reply
    + 0

asskisser

• WasMiddleClass 04/10/2011 12:19pm

And it is VERY interesting what you find here when you search for “ass kisser” here…

taylor2 11/02/2010 3:36pm
    flag Link Reply
    + 0

Miss me yet?
    GET OUT THE VOTE …. VOTE DEMOCRATIC. DON’T VOTE IN THE SAME INEPT PARTY THAT GOT AMERICA INTO THIS RECESSION. THE REPUBLICANS ARE ELITISTS AND CORPORATE ASS-KISSERS & THE TP ARE NOTHING BUT RACIST WHO CAN’T STAND HAVING A BLACK MAN AS POTUS AND THEREFORE “THEY WANT THEIR COUNTRY BACK”.

• WasMiddleClass 04/10/2011 12:22pm

And of course we can not forget this one!

n0bama4me 10/27/2010 11:17am
    flag Link Reply

wow im so angry im sitting here laughing and drinking sprite. man im just so angry i volunteered last weekend for a cancer walk. i bet you spent your entire weekend on your ass spreading your false hope crap and obama asskissing all over the internet.

• WasMiddleClass 04/10/2011 12:23pm

And how come Donny looks a lot older in his new picture now?

WasMiddleClass 04/10/2011 12:28pm

I do like it better.

• WasMiddleClass 04/10/2011 12:26pm

Yup…those are the only three names that ever used that term EVER on OC….

Interesting…

• WasMiddleClass 04/10/2011 12:32pm

I almost forgot this last one from the old days here on HR5749…

Anonymous 05/02/2008 9:49am
    flag Link Reply
    + 0

20,000 is alot of people , Some small towns don’t have that many people, I just heard the senate won’t be in on Monday, they will be back Tuesday, unbelievable, no wonder they are ass kissers.. I do believe the unemployment rate is closer to 10 percent counting the people that are jobless and have exhausted their benefits.

• nancym 04/10/2011 1:19pm

RANT:

Anybody watch the coverage of the House budget committee last Wednesday? It’s being replayed on CSPAN now.

One after another, Dem attempts to save truly vital programs from budget cuts were voted down in blocks of demagoguery, while Republicans like Ryan were claiming the inalienable right of millionaires not to be taxed a penny more, not to have to share one ounce of the country’s pain from this economic collapse, while Pell Grants will be so low that they are useless for student trying to plan for college, and seniors may look forward to 20K per year (via CBO) in extra expenses from insurance companies if Medicare gets privatized—while Ryan’s insurance lobbyists make out like bandits.

All this while Repubs on this committee try to convince us the poor insurance companies are not making enough, that drug companies need to make more profits to invest in research. (Why invest in research when the NIH does it with taxpayer money and they can use that to make more patents?)

nancym 04/10/2011 1:21pm

The most farcical episode was when Florida’s Wasserman-Schultz, cancer survivor, pleaded with them not to cut funding to NIH for research. She was rebuffed with con-man arguments, yes con-man, claiming that there were no cuts to NIH in the budget, that the appropriations committee would see to that (dishonestly passing the buck). Wasserman-Schultz pointed out, well, what are you going to cut in this 550 section, if not NIH, what?—and named a list of things that no Republican would dare stand up on CSPAN and admit would be cutt. Then she pointed out that the first bill out of the House this year, HR1, in fact had huge cuts to NIH. Watching this fiasco was sickening, just pathetic.

Yes, Was, I am furious with the Dems, and will not just “go along” with the usual “lesser of two evils” bribery to get my support. I feel a bit like the blacks in Florida years ago, when they were used by the Florida Democratic Party for support in elections, but were more or less spat on once in office.

nancym 04/10/2011 1:21pm

But I will still support what really needs to be done—election reform, particular causes, help for the hungry and homeless, workers rights, the fight here for redistricting; not parties, let them “show me the money” when it comes to asking for help with an election.

It’s taken two years for local and national progressive groups to actually wake up to the fact that while pushing for important, but less urgent reforms, the majority of the country was going to hell in an economic handbasket. And I don’t think they still realize to what extent this is a very serious class war against corporate power, not some parlor game with red and blue chips.

But there is no mistaking the stupid, dishonest, narrow-minded, mean-spirited, criminal (because people WILL die from this), totally dangerous to the country block-mentality of those in control of the House right now.

nancym 04/10/2011 1:21pm

Here in Florida we have even worse, if that’s possible. A totally Republican controlled state government that ran on a jobs platform that has not passed, or even proposed, one jobs bill. Instead, what have they spent their time on? 18 new bills to control women’s rights, a bill to cut UI benefits from 26 down to 20 weeks, just so no employer in Florida will have to pay an extra $75 per YEAR in employment taxes—that’s equal to about 3-1/2 cent per hour for Florida’s workers (OMG, how could they POSSIBLY afford that kind of increase!)

The Florida Chamber of Commerce controls almost every legislator there. Bills requiring community service for those getting any kind of benefits. Drug-testing the unemployed on benefits (Rick Scott owns drug-testing companies, btw). Bills for all state workers to submit to urine testing— a group in the Conch Republic who call themselves PISS proposed pooling their urine in one big vat and shipping it to Tallahassee to save the taxpayers the trouble.

nancym 04/10/2011 1:22pm

5 Do I need to go on?

Rick Scott’s approval rating is so low now he would never get elected if he ran now, even by his own party, and he’s already been to court numerous times for actions taken in his first few months. He remarked recently that he was surprised how long it was taking for legislators to pass his tax cuts for corporations. The guy has no clue about governing or how things work. He withheld the paperwork for redistricting that was passed by constitutional amendment, just because he thought he had the power, but finally relented under legal threat.

All I can say to anyone here who is deluded enough to chant the current Tea Party song, or defend tactics like those used in Congress right now to undermine the already struggling lower and middle class in this country, while still supporting the irresponsible and criminal behaviour of so many of the wealthy, is SHAME on you, just SHAME on you.

nancym 04/10/2011 1:22pm

(I won’t even bother to read the responses of the usual suspects who will taunt this post like school children. Anyone who makes that kind of personal attack on any poster here, just grow up and leave politics to the adults.)

WasMiddleClass 04/10/2011 1:58pm

Hi nancym :)

adamaiken 04/10/2011 2:08pm

Hi Was, it is both. Both. I am employed again so things are looking up.
    Yes i still own my home and cars but without income, it would have been bad, just like others. I was saved by the bell, so far. I am nearing retirement and I did face health problems which I overcame, so far. I do have quite a bit of education. I apologize for that. Can I still be a part of your group here. I really do care about you and others here. I really do. You know that and I know that many people here are very educated as well and I am not faulting anyone for lack of education because a person can be educated and an idiot and vice versa. I really do know that.
    If things are looking up for me, my memory is not short. I still consider myself a part of the whole fiasco. I still want the country to go in the right direction. I still support what you support and I still care about you.

marym 04/10/2011 2:17pm

Stirring the pot again furry? (^3^)

WasMiddleClass 04/10/2011 2:28pm

Not me. I would never do such a thing.

vinmarly 04/10/2011 2:32pm

if rick is so bad and everyone hates him, why did a majority of your florida people vote him in? you must be in a small little group nancy. i thought you were supporting us in our bid for change obama/biden 2012. obama and biden are the smartest people on earth. join us as we ignore our own parties problems and point our fingers and the tea party and bush or wrost enemies. we will ignore ourselves and our leaders and call out everyone else in a pompous judgmental ignorant bliss for shame! for shame!