H.R.589 - Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act of 2011

To amend title IV of the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for additional weeks of first-tier emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (4)

• Official: To amend title IV of the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for additional weeks of first-tier emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act of 2011 as introduced.
  • Short: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act of 2011 as introduced.

WasMiddleClass 03/05/2012 9:11pm

“Manufacturing dissent”

In this article, we focus on a related concept, namely the subtle process of “manufacturing dissent” (rather than “consent”), which plays a decisive role in serving the interests of the ruling class.

Under contemporary capitalism, the illusion of democracy must prevail. It is in the interest of the corporate elites to accept dissent and protest as a feature of the system inasmuch as they do not threaten the established social order. The purpose is not to repress dissent, but, on the contrary, to shape and mould the protest movement, to set the outer limits of dissent.

To maintain their legitimacy, the economic elites favor limited and controlled forms of opposition, with a view to preventing the development of radical forms of protest, which might shake the very foundations and institutions of global capitalism. In other words, “manufacturing dissent” acts as a “safety valve”, which protects and sustains the New World Order.

WasMiddleClass 03/05/2012 9:10pm
in reply to Legion1 Mar 04, 2012 4:25pm

Well… sorry I ever defended you. It will not happen again.

Legion1 03/04/2012 4:25pm

And you wanted me to move in with you Legion… oh boy…

Never wanted you to move in with me, I offered you a place to stay if all options ran out. Happy they didn’t.

I now see what others had to say about you here are apparently true, so much for false friendship, I should have known better than to even think about befriending a former ’pub

WasMiddleClass 03/03/2012 12:06am
in reply to Legion1 Feb 29, 2012 11:44am

You will… and many more in all those views on the view counters…

I kind of gave up on this board already, but I see the views that some said were only bots drop 75% when I dont post regularly anymore…

Hell… I have enough problems where our views range in 5 to 6 digits… but one new person woken up to things makes it worth it anywhere…

And you wanted me to move in with you Legion… oh boy…

nancym 02/29/2012 7:01pm
in reply to nancym Feb 29, 2012 7:00pm

Oops, I forgot a double hyphen gets translated into a cross-out here. Just ignore that. The group is called Justice for the Unemployed, here on OC.

nancym 02/29/2012 7:00pm
in reply to WasMiddleClass Feb 29, 2012 2:08am

Was, my post had nothing to do with the Florida site - the Justice for the Unemployed forum is right here on OC-top right corner under Groups.

As for login approval, I can’t imagine what that was about. Anyone can sign up for that site and I don’t believe there’s any approval process. Maybe you went somewhere else? In any case, there’s not much traffic on the Florida site now; ever since Rick Scott got in there have been no positive movements in terms of benefits and all they’ve done here is cut back. Plus the earlier press we got from the Sun-Sentinel has faded away what with no legislation on tap either in Florida or in Congress about benefits other than the extension renewal that went through in February. It’s not like back when all of us were fighting to get new extensions with new laws, new tiers, etc. Plus, even though there are still a million unemployed in Florida, more part-time jobs are open, so people are busy scrambling to get them and survive.

Legion1 02/29/2012 11:44am

have it your way “was” c-ya

Spam Comment

Bravo2 02/29/2012 3:53am
in reply to WasMiddleClass Feb 29, 2012 3:36am

Their highest traffic ever and all I see Is you over there. They better shut SOPA down too it looks like :=)

WasMiddleClass 02/29/2012 3:39am
in reply to Bravo2 Feb 29, 2012 3:26am

It’s OK for now…

WasMiddleClass 02/29/2012 3:36am

@Legion

Take your crap and shove it!

“First, a piece of big site news (which unfortunately still pales in light of the fact that the #PIPA & #SOPA net censorship bills are still very alive & terribly dangerous). Today’s #PIPA protest has already blown away our record for most web traffic in a day. That’s tops since we launched way back in 2007, and shatters previous traffic spikes around unemployment insurance (2008-2009) & health care reform (2009-2010). We’ll announce the total tally later today, but if traffic keeps up at this rate, we may even double our previous high in visits in a single day”

Go look how many people, and who was there for that!!!

Bravo2 02/29/2012 3:26am

I smell a storm brewing

What up?

WasMiddleClass 02/29/2012 3:03am

@matter of fact the posting going on on this thread is about everything except unemployment

If you believe that then maybe you better do some research, because I can tie every single thing I post into the situations millions are facing now, and unemployment!

What the hell is the topic of this board supposed to be about, the status of HR589?

OR the reasons it was needed, and the reasons it was forgotten?!!!

WasMiddleClass 02/29/2012 2:47am
in reply to Legion1 Feb 29, 2012 2:22am

And those who do either really care, or have a different motive…

Just happened to be here at 2:22 am after 7 days Legion?, and my post about your wild claims back then just happened to turn into some new spam post thing before being posted…

I learned long ago how to save all the pages automatically immediately.

You better delete this post too.

I think we just went back a couple years.

WasMiddleClass 02/29/2012 2:31am
in reply to Legion1 Feb 29, 2012 2:22am

@was…there was 7 days between your last post & mine. No one seems to care enough about this subject enough anymore to even post about it

Well then what about SOPA and all those tens of thousands of views during the war?!!!

Who the hell was there?

It is a statistical fact that well over 90% of forum viewers never post anything ever!

WasMiddleClass 02/29/2012 2:27am
in reply to Legion1 Feb 29, 2012 2:22am

And you thought you were so tricky…

Fine!

WasMiddleClass 02/29/2012 2:25am
in reply to WasMiddleClass Feb 29, 2012 2:00am

By the way Legion, you sound a little too much like Sher1 there…

I can post many times where they said the board/site should be shut down on several sites…

I believe we can still post on the teir 1 boards here…

Legion1 02/29/2012 2:22am

was…there was 7 days between your last post & mine. No one seems to care enough about this subject enough anymore to even post about it & matter of fact the posting going on on this thread is about everything except unemployment or the 99ers. Now we have been absorbed into the 99% & further forgotten. I suggested to these posters 2 years ago to start organizing, to get ready for spring & summer & was told to shut up. Then there was the “insane one” and her incessant “fax,call,write,e-mail” rah-rah BS. Even the “insane one” has , it appears, thrown in the towel, shes gone now too. They’ve shut down unemployment threads here before & this ones runnin’ on life support.

WasMiddleClass 02/29/2012 2:11am
in reply to WasMiddleClass Feb 29, 2012 2:10am

Link to above,

WasMiddleClass 02/29/2012 2:10am

Considering the Network as the radar detector of the Multitude

…The difference between Twitter feeds about speed traps and Wikileaks dumps of the government’s classified interoffice memoranda is just one of degree. Without secrets, government must either persuade the populace of its legitimacy, or abandon legitimacy for force of arms. We can expect a decade or two of efforts by governments and other powers (corporations, cartels, and perhaps copyright holders) to try to use law (and force) to prevent the popular use of the network to expose institutional secrets, and it seems certain they will all inevitably fail. Trying to control the use of communications networks is like trying to exterminate the rhizome under your lawn. (Ironic, perhaps, that a technology designed by the military-industrial complex to ensure viable communications in the event of nuclear attack ends up appropriated by the people and able to withstand attack by its creator.) …

WasMiddleClass 02/29/2012 2:08am
in reply to nancym Feb 28, 2012 5:26pm

Yeah..well…I tried that Florida site and never got my login approved…

You wouldn’t want a old Left Libertarian like me to argue with you there anyways ;)

Anyways… Unemployment issues are old news for me. I learned to survive it. Fighting back against the root cause is my topic now.

Occupy 2.0 in 2012!!!

WasMiddleClass 02/29/2012 2:00am
in reply to Legion1 Feb 28, 2012 2:47pm

So you think no one can google unemployment extension, or 99er, ore any of that and find this board now?

I remember when you said you were shut down in the middle of the night once…old…friend.

99ers, or whatever you want to call them these days are still being create every day!

nancym 02/28/2012 5:26pm
in reply to Legion1 Feb 28, 2012 2:47pm

Anyone who wants to continue to discuss unemployment issues in another forum that is not attached to any particular unemployment benefits bill, and so has a “permanent” home, can use the “Justice for the Unemployed” forum that I started a few months ago at the suggestion of Donny at OC.

To view the group posts you don’t have to be a group member, but if you want to post there you have to sign up as a member. To find any groups, just click on the Groups link at the top, under the search box.

The Groups feature is new to OC as of a few months ago. It has more features than the regular forums, such as the ability to post videos, etc.

I haven’t posted there for a while since after a little while people seemed to want to just keep coming back here. But anyone is welcome to get the conversation going there again.

Legion1 02/28/2012 2:47pm

It’s time to shut this thread down, nothing to see here any longer.

nancym 02/26/2012 8:05am
in reply to WasMiddleClass Feb 21, 2012 7:33pm

Check this out:

Anti-Excessive Speculation Act of 2011

This is from my Florida senator, Bill Nelson. “A bill to amend the Commodity Exchange Act to prevent excessive speculation in commodity markets and excessive speculative position limits on energy contracts, and for other purposes.” Bernie Sanders is one of the co-sponsors.

Nelson sent out a letter to constituents about this in view of rising gas prices. I wonder how many lines drawn in the sand the House Republicans will ignore still thinking the American public isn’t watching. Of course, it would have to get through the Senate first.

WasMiddleClass 02/21/2012 8:34pm

They say a picture is worth a thousand words…

A song must be worth a million words….

We Take Care Of Our Own!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce Springsteen discusses “Wrecking Ball”

2012…

Expect MANY of us!!!

WasMiddleClass 02/21/2012 7:34pm
in reply to WasMiddleClass Feb 21, 2012 7:33pm

I looked on the GASDA site to try to find the story but is not on it yet. I did find this though!

WasMiddleClass 02/21/2012 7:33pm

How Goldman Sachs Created the Food Crisis

Don’t blame American appetites, rising oil prices, or genetically modified crops for rising food prices. Wall Street’s at fault for the spiraling cost of food.

Supply and demand certainly matter. But there’s another reason why food across the world has become so expensive: Wall Street greed.
It took the brilliant minds of Goldman Sachs to realize the simple truth that nothing is more valuable than our daily bread. And where there’s value, there’s money to be made.

WasMiddleClass 02/21/2012 7:33pm

I listened to the the President of the Gasoline & Automotive Service Dealers of America say on my local news today how he expects gas prices to be $5.25 per gallon by Memorial Day.

I know many would like, and try to blame Obama for it, and there are many things I blame him for, but the truth is both the Repubs and Dems are blowing those actually causing the price to skyrocket while demand is the lowest ever since the 90s…….WALL STREET, and their making billions of off “speculation”.

WasMiddleClass 02/21/2012 7:27pm
in reply to nancym Feb 19, 2012 8:57am

I always did love the Boss!