H.R.589 - Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act of 2011

To amend title IV of the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for additional weeks of first-tier emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (4)

• Official: To amend title IV of the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for additional weeks of first-tier emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act of 2011 as introduced.
  • Short: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act of 2011 as introduced.

MrsChang 01/31/2012 9:45pm
in reply to Legion1 Jan 31, 2012 1:47pm

Hello Legion1,

Sorry to hear about all the health issues, but glad to know you were able to get SSD. It usually takes forever but it looks like you didn’t have to wait long. My initial application was denied, and I just talked to a lawyer about filing for reconsideration. I understand the appeal process is quite a slog.

We’d all much rather be working and earning the decent wage we used to receive. Now we’re all having our adventures in low-income land, and making whatever adjustments we can make. But we’re still a case of “heads bloody but unbowed,” just like fighters in a dismal war.

Take care of yourself, and best of luck.

Legion1 01/31/2012 1:47pm

Greetings from Cadillac Mr.Clark. Hope things turn around for you soon and you can somehow return to writing.

For me…I’m ‘outta this unemployment maze due to a heart attack followed by open heart surgery and a triple by-pass along with being diagnosed with COPD and diabetes. I’m now officially disabled and on SSD.

Hello Was
Hello Mrs Chang
Hello NancyM
Hello Where

Guess that about covers everyone posting here now.

sclark113 01/30/2012 3:10pm
in reply to nancym Jan 28, 2012 12:07am

Hi nancym!!

It is very doubtful that I will be able to start writing again any time soon. Right now I have very limited access to a computer and the internet. I don’t see this changing anytime soon.

Glad to hear the you are continuing down the educational path – that is something that no-one will ever be able to take away from you. I’m also glad that the industry that you are going into seems to be picking up – I think the only real hope going forward for many will be in contract work – we will all need to learn how to become entrepreneurs from here on out.

I see the reported unemployment % numbers have dropped, but I just don’t trust them – I think the numbers are all smoke and mirrors as I’m not seeing anybody bragging on the streets that they just landed a job! Simple facts like there are 5.5 million less jobs today than in Dec. of 2007 speaks volumes to me! New job creation is happening at a snails pace if it is happening at all!

But I preach to the choir again, right?

sclark113 01/30/2012 2:30pm
in reply to where Jan 27, 2012 6:44pm

Hi Where

Thanks for your best wishes here and on my FB page!!! Right back at you buddy!!!

My writing on the internet went bye-bye when I lost my apartment and internet access in Sept. My minimal income stream when “poof” right along with losing internet access. I am totally living off charity right now, but have found a great mission that puts me up for the night, gives me three squares a day, and has me involved in a recovery program trying to help get me back on my feet. They have a few rules for staying which limit my access to the internet, but I can get to the library a few times a week for a couple of hours at a crack, so I am slowly trying to re-connect.

I have very limited access to news sources, but from what I have seen our do-nothing 112’TH Congress continues to be focused on making sure that nothing good happens for the common person before we show them the streets after the elections in November.

As my Grandfather used to say – “It’s a great life if you don’t weaken!”

nancym 01/28/2012 12:07am
in reply to sclark113 Jan 27, 2012 3:23pm

Wow, hi Scott! I was wondering what happened to you. Glad to hear you’re back “on the grid” again. Will you be able to go back to writing your column on any regular basis?

This benefits bill is obviously long dead, but some of us keep coming back to this little watering hole on occasion, like some kind of homing pigeons, especially since there hasn’t been any other significant jobs legislation to get behind anyway, at least any that had any chance of passing.

After a few grueling semesters, I’m at the last term of my school program, and getting some bites on jobs already, but I’m not really focusing on that until around May-June anyway, unless it’s part-time. My circumstances have also changed for the better financially through an odd quirk in the universe, but I will still have to find at least some contract or part-time work pretty soon, since my school loans are done. In my field at least, there really do seem to be a lot more jobs now. I hope other fields open up as well.

where 01/27/2012 6:44pm
in reply to sclark113 Jan 27, 2012 3:23pm

Hi Scott! I was wondering what happened to you, I hit bottom in late October, But I received news that I have a inheritance coming soon, it wont be much but enough to live on. I thought you were doing some work? Im sorry to hear you have fallen on rougher times, But like you said “Not Beaten” Thats so important to keep in mind.

I have had people who are in a tight spot themselves outta the blue give me a little bit to help out, Never expecting anything in return they just step up and give without even being asked.

So do you have regular internet access now? I will check you on FB too, My prayers are with you buddie

sclark113 01/27/2012 3:23pm

Hi Was, Where, nancym, et. all!!!

I’ve been unable to access the internet since going into “total survival” mode back in September. I am happy to say that, like millions of others, I am surviving – they haven’t been able to drive a stake through my heart just yet!!!

I do want to take a minute to thank all of the exceptionally generous people that live in our society that are part of the 99% and still care about “the least of us.” These compassionate souls are doing everything in their power to make sure that people like myself are fortunate enough to have a warm place to sleep and they continue to provide daily sustenance to keep me going. These very generous people have kept me alive through this winter season, and since I now live with hundreds of others in the same boat, I know that goodness still exists in many of our concerned brothers and sisters.

For those of us that are broken, but not beaten; there is still hope!

where 01/26/2012 1:02am
in reply to where Jan 26, 2012 12:22am

I cant resist this picture =D

where 01/26/2012 12:22am
in reply to where Jan 26, 2012 12:04am

Hey whats up wit all these cactus around here??? My dog is going thru gallons of water tryin to mark all of em, At least he has a job!

where 01/26/2012 12:04am
in reply to WasMiddleClass Jan 25, 2012 12:36am

Hey I feel another “Morph” coming! Woo Hoo Change is great! Hey was thats really cool about the Cat =) picked a name yet?

WasMiddleClass 01/25/2012 12:36am
in reply to marym Jan 25, 2012 12:35am

OK…I’ll see you over there :)

marym 01/25/2012 12:35am
in reply to WasMiddleClass Jan 25, 2012 12:33am

Who’s attacking fluffy? ;)

WasMiddleClass 01/25/2012 12:33am

Oh…for Gods sake…I didn’t say attack. Jeez…

marym 01/25/2012 12:30am

The boys will play….

Recon3 01/25/2012 12:14am

I have my long range wifi suit on..lmao!

sniper 01/24/2012 11:59pm
in reply to WasMiddleClass Jan 24, 2012 11:25pm

I just put on my cactus ghillie suite ;=)

WasMiddleClass 01/24/2012 11:29pm

Anyways…that cat moved in with me. It is the smartest cat I ever saw. I swear it understands English. It listens even better than my dog! It is lying on the couch with my dog now, and my dog is hugging it… Strange… Esoteric… I don’t know…

WasMiddleClass 01/24/2012 11:25pm
in reply to nancym Jan 24, 2012 10:58pm

Ha Ha! :)

WasMiddleClass 01/24/2012 11:25pm
in reply to where Jan 24, 2012 7:19pm

I told you long ago that my picture will eat your hard drive if you steal it.

Did you think I was joking?

Watch out for those anon visitors…

nancym 01/24/2012 10:58pm
in reply to where Jan 24, 2012 7:19pm

Ha! :)

where 01/24/2012 7:19pm
in reply to where Jan 21, 2012 11:40pm

OK so now that “Was” has gone on to “better” things, I suppose I am leading commenter here, Now lets do this right! NOT left!!

where 01/21/2012 11:40pm
in reply to WasMiddleClass Jan 20, 2012 10:40pm

Oh go ahead and “Change” it feels good! I will hold down the fort for you WasMiddle =D

WasMiddleClass 01/20/2012 10:40pm

I was going to change my avatar here for where…but it would change it over on the boards now getting tens of thousands of views per day now too…and that wold not go over too good…

WasMiddleClass 01/20/2012 10:36pm
in reply to Legion1 Jan 19, 2012 1:33pm

So true…

Legion1 01/19/2012 1:33pm

Money’s most powerful ability is allowing bad people to continue doing bad things to those who have no none.

WasMiddleClass 01/18/2012 10:09pm
in reply to WasMiddleClass Jan 18, 2012 10:08pm

Old battles…and new ones…

WasMiddleClass 01/18/2012 10:08pm

PIPA Protest Roundup and Whip Count Summary

OpenCongress is back online – as of a bit after 8pm ET, our anti-PIPAstrike action has come to a close. Thank you everyone for helping to spread the word and understanding why we joined a huge, huge, sprawling, informed, diverse, public-spirited, energetic, entrepreneurial, reality-based, passionate, design-richcoalition to protest PIPA & SOPA, the worst Internet bills in history and together the most-opposed legislation by the OC user community in the past year.

First, a piece of big site news (which unfortunately still pales in light of the fact that the #PIPA & #SOPA net censorship bills are still very alive & terribly dangerous)  Today’s #PIPAprotest has already blown away our record for most web traffic in a day. That’s tops since we launched way back in 2007. and shatters previous traffic spikes around unemployment insurance (2008-2009)

WasMiddleClass 01/18/2012 10:06pm

Too much happening now to spend time posting here all the time anymore.

To any new “99ers” looking for info here about another extension, there is, and will be none. This bill is long dead. I’m sure many of the old extensions will be eliminated before long too the way talk in DC is now…

Most old “99ers” joined Occupy and the “99%” now.

Search “Occupy”. Find groups in you area. Join the forums online. And hook up with all the others that have been getting screwed by the all for the rich politics of the last few decades.

A big spring Occupy offensive is in the works…

Above all, survive and fight back!

And I was one of the very first 99ers…

WasMiddleClass 01/18/2012 9:53pm
in reply to 99Survivor Jan 14, 2012 1:12pm

I know girl…

WasMiddleClass 01/18/2012 9:51pm
in reply to nancym Jan 14, 2012 8:28pm

Thanks :)

He is doing good, except for walking…

I have always had a “mysterious” connection with animals, that has made many people say wow in my life…