H.R.589 - Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act of 2011

To amend title IV of the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for additional weeks of first-tier emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (4)

• Official: To amend title IV of the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for additional weeks of first-tier emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act of 2011 as introduced.
  • Short: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act of 2011 as introduced.

adamaiken 02/12/2011 5:25am
in reply to adamaiken Feb 12, 2011 5:17am

Are we owed a living? You are damn right we are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I say I am owed a living if even as reparation for the damage our government has imposed on us. In Bahrain, recently, every citizen was given 300,000 dollars to quell a revolution erupting there. They want to keep their citizens happy and the ones on top are so filthy rich, they won’t feel it.
Do you think a country that was as rich as we are could not have afforded to keep an even playing field so that all of us could have moved ahead into an era of prosperity for all with greater advances in not healthcare but in disease prevention and in HEALING FOR ALL. If you ever go back and listen to the speeches that Carter gave during his presidency, it would send chills down your spine. He spoke about this very greed destroying our nation and here it is, upon us and what do people like you do, you follow the indoctrination like a robot. You are a willing victim. We are not.
That is the difference.

WasMiddleClass 02/14/2011 9:04am

I was thinking about the people of Egypt, and what they accomplished, and I know one of the main reasons they protested was high unemployment. I decided to research what their unemployment rate is. After hearing some on our news talk about their terribly high unemployment rate I expected it to be around 25 to 30% at least.

I was shocked to find out that it was only 8.4% in 2009 and 9.4% in 2010.

That was enough for them to kick their (dictatorship) government to the curb…

fakk2 02/14/2011 10:11am
in reply to wstaff Feb 14, 2011 6:18am

Wstaff, very true. Education spending has not helped during the last 40 years. Our test scores are exactly the same as when the Department of Education was created. We should stop spending so much of that money on something that doesn’t work and reinvest it.

WasMiddleClass 02/14/2011 10:17am
in reply to fakk2 Feb 14, 2011 9:40am

That is not CT. A fleabag room in a bad neighborhood is $150 per week.

You say “If someone has to bunk with 3 or 4 other people to make living on $9/hr work, then that’s what they have to do”.

So that is your answer for all the former middle class Americans that worked hard all their lives now??

wstaff 02/16/2011 7:52am

Good Job Senator Bernie Sanders who see the recession for what it is and not make light of how costly the recession still is and not sugar coating this. While
other senators still believe that we are coming out of the recession looking favorable.

WasMiddleClass 02/15/2011 11:29am

Out Of 400 Amendments, Just One For The Jobless

Of the 403 amendments submitted to a stopgap budget measure to fund the government through the rest of the current fiscal year, only one mentions the word “unemployment.”

Legislation by Reps. Barbara Lee (D-Calif.) and Bobby Scott (R-Va.) would provide an additional 14 weeks of benefits to Americans who have been out of work for six months or longer. Lee and Scott asked Republican leaders to consider the measure as an amendment to their “continuing resolution,” the budget measure that funds the government through Sept. 30, the end of the current fiscal year.

Many of the 400 amendments will be pulled, but if the Lee-Scott item is deemed germane by the Rules Committee, it will see a vote on the House floor.

2kgs4 02/15/2011 2:57pm
in reply to WasMiddleClass Feb 10, 2011 9:36am

This is what is going to happen eventually more and more all over the country if something doesn’t give soon. Heart breaking to say the least.

Legion1 02/15/2011 4:28pm

The numbers to the Democratic press people and the Republican press people for the Committee deciding our issue.The following is a list of the questions that I believe we have the right to have answered.

1. When will HR 589 be debated and considered by the Committee.

2. When is the soonest we can expect a verdict, one way or the other.

3. How many Republicans on the board oppose long term unemployment
extensions?

4. If HR 589 is refused how do we find out which members of the Committee
were in opposition?

5. Where can we go to get day by day updates in reference to the progress?

House Ways and Means Democrat’s Press – 202-225-4021

House Ways and Means Republican’s Press – 202-225-3625

Capitol switchboard: 1-800-220-0044

Ask for the above listed office.

Other possible numbers included with article:

1-877-851-6437

1-800-833-6354

1-888-355-3588

1-866-808-0065

1-877-762-8762

1-800-862-5530

WasMiddleClass 06/24/2011 11:15pm

@nancym

I agree with many progressive ideas, though not all…

Unfortunately I learned after watching countless hours of Cspan over the past few years that the only thing many Democrats do to actually push for them is some lip service…

WasMiddleClass 02/21/2011 1:01pm

99ers Wanted: This is how protesting is Done & PLEASE HELP with Twitter #99erAID Round 2 Tomorrow.

Spurred on by the success of last week’s  Twitter chat, event organizer Jason Tabrys (@99erAID) has announced a second event with an eye toward weekly #99erAID events.

#99erAID seeks to allow 99ers and the long term unemployed a chance to get together and share ideas while also lending each other support. The group is not affiliated with any political party or advocacy group.

The event is scheduled to run between 8:00 PM EST and 9:30 PM EST with a 90 minute chat on the 99erAID Facebook group chat to immediately follow at 9:30 PM EST.

Any and all are welcome to participate and urged to help spread word about the event but the organizer has asked for respect, civility, and that all comments be made with an eye toward helping 99ers survive these harrowing times.

WasMiddleClass 02/27/2011 1:46pm

Where were the unions supporting 99ers for the past year?

Didn’t they care about millions with no where to go but the streets then?

I got all the emails from AFL-CIO for years now. I never saw one mention of the 99ers in them since we started running out of benefits.

How much mention did we get at that big pre-election rally?

So now they want the 99ers to help them?

If we help them win will they fight for a tier v finally?

It sure seems to me that the unions wrote us off long ago too.

The only support I have for 99ers going to union rallies is to get media coverage for 99ers.

Are all the ones that many 99ers voted for even supporting them now?

Are the unions going to hire the 99ers?

I ask myself these questions.

All 99ers should too.

Where was “move on” for the past year on helping the 99ers?

WasMiddleClass 02/28/2011 1:30pm
in reply to WasMiddleClass Feb 28, 2011 1:29pm

There is a rule of war that many people are failing to understand: “Do not fight the last war.” In The 33 Strategies of War, Robert Greene calls this “The Guerrilla-War-Of-The-Mind Strategy:”

“What most often weighs you down and brings you misery is the past, in the form of unnecessary attachments, repetitions of tired formulas, and the memory of old victories and defeats. You must consciously wage war against the past and force yourself to react to the present moment. Be ruthless on yourself; do not repeat the same tired methods.”

The sad truth is that most people are still fighting yesterday’s war. The Republican vs. Democrat charade — good cop, bad cop nonsense — is a mere smokescreen. Don’t be confused by obsolete preconceptions and propaganda. There is one war being fought, The Global Economic Elite Vs. The People.

Legion1 03/09/2011 3:33pm

I do believe Republicans just designated themselves an endangered species in my home state of Wisconsin. I’m not exactly sure how they were able to do what they just did, but the citizens of Wisconsin will not accept this outcome.

Legion1 03/09/2011 3:26pm

1 minute ago……Wis. GOP bypass Dems, cut collective bargaining

MADISON, Wis. – The Wisconsin Senate voted Wednesday night to strip nearly all collective bargaining rights from public workers, approving an explosive proposal that had rocked the state and unions nationwide after Republicans discovered a way to bypass the chamber’s missing Democrats.

All 14 Senate Democrats fled to Illinois nearly three weeks ago, preventing the chamber from having enough members present to consider Gov. Scott Walker’s “budget-repair bill” — a proposal introduced to plug a $137 million budget shortfall.

The Senate requires a quorum to take up any measures that spend money. But Republicans on Wednesday separated from the legislation the proposal to curtail union rights, which spends no money, and a special committee of lawmakers from both the Senate and Assembly approved the bill a short time later.

I think the shits about to hit the fan in WI

where 03/14/2011 7:00pm
in reply to n0bama4me2010 Mar 14, 2011 2:53pm

Ok great, So we know nObama doesn’t like any republicans, And no one here has any democrat hero’s, So now we have no differences right?

So lets take it from there and not have all the arguing that accomplishes nothing. Brothers and Sisters united against our corrupt government!

adamaiken 03/18/2011 3:04am

Whereever I link to on the internet in my search for news on the consideration of 589, I am coming across the same discontent with our President. I could not agree more with the perception that he has not stepped up for the unemployed. People are saying that he will not get their vote next time. My problem with this line of thinking is that we really will not have a choice if he is running against any Republican. I simply do not think we can afford to replace complacency with outright destructiveness. At least he will never sign away our rights to SSI or Medicare or Medicaid etc. but if a Republican, any Republican is voted in, his pen will be ready, willing and able.
I would love for Kucinich or Bernie Sanders to run in his stead so I could vote with gusto but that is not going to happen so I am pulling the lever for Obama one more time.

wstaff 03/21/2011 7:08am

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Rep. Hank Johnson (GA-04) today introduced the Fair Employment Act of 2011 – H.R. 1113 – which would amend the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to protect against discrimination on the basis of unemployment status.

Congressman Johnson’s bill responds to widespread reports of job listings that explicitly exclude unemployed applicants. Some advertisements stated that applicants “must be currently employed” or stipulated that “no unemployed candidates will be considered at all.” Some ads read, “No layoff candidates considered.”

WasMiddleClass 03/30/2011 6:38pm
in reply to Legion1 Mar 30, 2011 2:08pm

I made that comment because of the whole Dem vs Rpeub argument I saw when I came in today.

I’ve been there many times myself…

We HAVE TO move on from that if we are to have any hope of winning this war.

wstaff 04/21/2011 12:18pm

Who are We to preach democracy to other countries when our own house/country remains OUT OF ORDER. Our first priority should be get Americans back to work before and beyond any other Bill is even passed. If we stand idol Americans will never get back to work and that promise will ultimately fail because as most already know, A job creations Bill will continue to be pushed back while useless Bills continue to move forward. End the discrimination of unemployed workers and create something we all need , AN AMERICAN JOB !!!!!!

WasMiddleClass 04/03/2011 3:29pm
in reply to where Apr 03, 2011 1:27pm

Really, really, really mean it, cross my heart hope to die mean it :)

suzieqs 03/08/2011 7:28am
in reply to fakk2 Feb 12, 2011 4:36am

So how would you define what the words “Promote the general welfare” to mean? If a community is starving, or mired in health problems, we are ignoring the “general welfare” of that community, if a family is forced into the streets to scrounge for food from dumpsters and cardboard box shelter we as Americans are ignoring the “general welfare” of that family.

So tell me, how would you “promote the general welfare” of our society, because if you fail to help one you’re failing to help all.

WasMiddleClass 02/14/2011 2:46pm
in reply to WasMiddleClass Feb 14, 2011 2:31pm

I should almost not even bother to reply to that,

But,

After working for 40 years supporting myself, and slowly working up the “ladder” to try to make a halfways decent living, while the price of everything climbed higher and higher while my wages did not, and then because of what others did I found the fields I put so many years of hard work into suddenly having no jobs….

And then in my middle fifties I ended up doing work that no one at that age should even attempt just so I could be only semi-homeless, but still flat broke…

And I listen to these people tell me I should be happy with that and expecting anything more is to “expect a handout”

Maybe I should have saved for if a drunk driver hit me too, because expecting anyone but myself to help with that would be expecting a handout……

WasMiddleClass 04/18/2011 3:43pm

I just went to see what one 99er site had to say and I thought I made a mistake and landed on some militia’s site. Jeeze!

This is going to be a really long election season…

WasMiddleClass 04/19/2011 3:08pm

Paul Farrell On The 10 “Doomsday Trends” Set To Destroy America

1. Doomsday Capitalism: Death of the American dream, spirit, soul

After our bankrupt Wall Street was resurrected in 2008 — thanks to their Trojan Horse, an ex-Goldman CEO inside the Treasury conning trillions from a clueless Congress — it became obvious that capitalism is killing America’s soul. Nobody trusts government. And no matter who’s elected, wealth, Wall Street and the Super Rich rule America; total collapse is coming.

Why? Sen. Bernie Sanders, the independent from Vermont, said it best: “There is a war going on in this country … the war waged by the wealthiest people in America on the disappearing and shrinking middle class of our country. The nation’s billionaires are on the warpath. They want more, more, more. Their greed has no end and they are apparently unconcerned for the future of this country if it gets in the way of their accumulation of power and wealth.”

nancym 06/19/2011 2:48pm

Another from Reich:

“The Truth About the Economy in 2 Minutes and 15 Seconds”:

sclark113 08/01/2011 6:13pm

Sign Bernie’s Petition

I hope the “deal” fails…I hope Bernie filibusters…I hope they force Obama into a corner where he has no option except to use the 14th Amendment to protect the full faith and credit of OUR United States of America.

The Tea Party is like a very young Texas Hold’em Poker Player that is constantly going “all-in.” Someone needs to call their bluff and play the hand out to a conclusion instead of folding all the time and giving them the pot.

This is a simple “high-stakes” poker game to them and our President doesn’t know how to play his pocket Aces!

WasMiddleClass 09/23/2011 10:17pm
in reply to Sher1 Sep 22, 2011 12:27pm

Tell me then exactly what this president (and most Dems) has done to help the 99ers.

I was one of the first wave that ran out of help in the spring of 2010.

Since then I have watched Obama say how he wants to cut my heating assistance by over 50%, but NEVER ONCE even acknowledged that I (99ers) existed.

You have posted your disdain for I, and the NOVO’s in many places…

We are not, and did not vote for the Republicans.

We did lay down the law though, and even as Ed Shultz said many times, if you don’t acknowledge us, and help us survive we are turning our backs on you.

One would think they got the message in the midterms, but apparently they did not…

So be it. They made the choice.

We don’t vote for ANY evil!

VET2 06/25/2011 11:46pm

Hi there Wolfy !

Just cruising by ;-)

VET2 06/25/2011 11:48pm

@ Here is your post with your usual IP threat! GIAR!

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wana play?

WasMiddleClass 12/25/2011 4:37pm
in reply to WasMiddleClass Dec 25, 2011 4:37pm

These same kind of people will close factories and ship the jobs to China to get even richer, then turn around and call all those that made a career on hard work building that company dirty lazy bums that should just go get a job, no matter if it is not enough money to put a roof over your head anymore.