H.R.589 - Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act of 2011

To amend title IV of the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for additional weeks of first-tier emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (4)

• Official: To amend title IV of the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for additional weeks of first-tier emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act of 2011 as introduced.
  • Short: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act of 2011 as introduced.

MrsChang 01/14/2012 10:22pm
in reply to nancym Jan 14, 2012 8:11pm

Hi again, NancyM,

I just attended a legal clinic today and got some advice about the disability appeal process. Any ranting I do these days relates to Social Security. The attorney I talked to said not to waste my time getting mad, but just to file my paperwork.

I still look at job ads, but they seem so remote and inapplicable. And lots of folks are still having a hard time, while the famous one percent gets everything.

Here’s hoping life improves for all of us. I’m glad it’s been improving for you.

nancym 01/14/2012 8:28pm
in reply to WasMiddleClass Jan 14, 2012 12:04am

Animals have been documented to have done some pretty mysterious things, including “tuning in” to those in distress. I sometimes think it’s harder to endure the loss of a close pet than a close friend or relative —no offense to the human race. But losing a pet can seem like losing an attached part of oneself, as if losing your right arm or something. Dogs love unconditionally. Cats just seem like a mellowing influence and tune in seriously when it seems important. Don’t know what I would have done without my own menagerie (two cats and a bird) to help me through the last few years.

So sorry to hear about your dog; those things are just so hard to bear. I hope he recovers ok, and if not, that he manages to go peacefully. Maybe this sounds silly, but I’ve seen many cases where dogs are hitched up to a little cart (if it’s the rear leg that’s damaged), sort of like a little wheelchair, and they manage to get around amazingly well. Whether a dog with arthritis could do that I don’t know.

nancym 01/14/2012 8:11pm
in reply to MrsChang Jan 12, 2012 2:47pm

Wow, long time, MrsChang!

So sorry to hear of your ill health. I’ve never heard of a spontaneous head injury, sounds pretty serious. At this point last year I thought I might be permanently disabled myself, but luckily I found appropriate treatment finally for my joint condition, and it’s been liberating. I was also lucky to live in an area where I could get almost free healthcare from a county hospital system, (but not dental, unfortunately) though I’ll be kicked out of that as soon as I go into Medicare, which is fine with me since then I can choose my own doctors.

You’re lucky to have a supportive family. So many are without that, or else family members are so stretched themselves that it’s difficult for all.

I hope things work out for you; I know those disability application processes can be long and drawn out.

Not too many posting here anymore as you can see, except a few of us occasionally check in with a long rant or two. :) Keep in touch with us.

where 01/14/2012 1:33pm
in reply to where Jan 14, 2012 1:30pm

And be patient,, Now to google PIPA and SOPA

where 01/14/2012 1:30pm
in reply to WasMiddleClass Jan 14, 2012 12:50am

Relationship, not religion, Church is where you go to find all the hypocrites, Altho I have found that a very small minority are not hypocrites, and they stuggle to help the poor lost hypocrites find there way, at least in all the churchs I ever been to.
When I was starting my search, It was the same way for me I cannot explain how, And to anyone else they wouldnt understand, It just wouldnt mean anything to them, even believers, But it proved it to me and I know it was personal. It is a relationship One on one.
I was given advice to read a chapter a day of Proverbs Start at one, most all of it wont make sense or seem dumb but if you stay at it and search maybe after a week or so one will jump out at you, I cannot begin to describe the elation I feel when I find a verse that really clicks for me. Search as if for hidden Treasure =D

99Survivor 01/14/2012 1:12pm
in reply to WasMiddleClass Jan 14, 2012 12:03am

There are days when I am so tired of pulling myself up, once again. Its a real downer, so thank God for my “Cash.”

WasMiddleClass 01/14/2012 12:50am
in reply to WasMiddleClass Jan 14, 2012 12:03am

religions…not regions.

WasMiddleClass 01/14/2012 12:09am

So just to log in here I get thrown onto PIPA…

Well…Let’s Lock And Load!

To HELL with PIPA and SOPA!!!!

WasMiddleClass 01/14/2012 12:04am

Over the past few days there has been a cat that I kept seeing outside my door. It looks like no cat I have ever seen in my life. It is black, but it’s neck is gray, and the gray gradually blends into the black on its head and back. It also has really long fur.

The past few days when I opened the door it ran away, but today, the day I was most ready to give up, I opened the door and it was just sitting there looking at me. I said “hi kitty” and it meowed at me, then rubbed against my leg. I picked it up and that cat acted like it knew me forever… I gave it some food…

This is the part that blew my mind: When I opened the door to go back in it followed me in, and jumped up on the couch with my dog. They acted like they knew each other forever…

If you saw it you would have said WOW, WTF,…too…

I’m still thinking WTF!!!…

WasMiddleClass 01/14/2012 12:03am

I spent the last few days thinking about how he is the last real good thing in my life, and I don’t know if I can deal with the way things are now without him. No matter how bad things got he was always there for me. He always got upset if I didn’t take him with me everywhere I went. Now he goes crazy if I even leave him for five minutes. If I try to walk out the door he starts barking and jumps off the couch, where he ends up on the floor crying in pain.

Over the last few days thoughts about being so damn tired of fighting to survive at my old age, and just wanting to end this…”life” I somehow got thrown into…I did a lot of thinking about what reality really is.

I gave up organized regions long ago, with all their laws, and theirs is the only way crap. But I always knew there was… something more out there…

After the past few days of telling whoever is out there that I am tired, I am sick of fighting, and am done with this, something …happened I can not really explain.

WasMiddleClass 01/14/2012 12:03am

I’ll post another real life story about what my life has become thanks to those that can never have enough money to satisfy them…

I went offline for a few days because my dog, who is my best friend, and is the one that got me through the nightmare so far that I ended up in for the past few years, broke his leg while trying to walk down the steps off my deck. He is old now and has arthritis bad, and he could just barely can walk at all, until now.

I should have gone with him when I let him out to go to pee, but I was heavily involved online in…stuff…at that moment…

Now he can not walk at all, and I have to carry him (110 lbs) outside and hold him up so he can go to the bathroom. The vet told me “maybe it is time you put him down”, after giving me the $900 bill…

I’ll put a bullet in my head before I put him down!!! If I have to spend all day taking care of him until he goes on his own I will!

WasMiddleClass 01/14/2012 12:02am
in reply to where Jan 10, 2012 8:41am

You can change it all you want. Some always know it is you…wherever…

Must be that big wifi antenna you have :P

WasMiddleClass 01/14/2012 12:00am
in reply to where Jan 11, 2012 5:07pm

Thank God I missed it! :P

WasMiddleClass 01/13/2012 11:58pm
in reply to nancym Jan 11, 2012 9:29pm

Yeah…I always fought like hell…

I’m getting tired now though…

MrsChang 01/12/2012 2:47pm
in reply to nancym Jan 11, 2012 10:13pm

Hi there NancyM,

It’s nice to hear from you again, and that you have some prospects coming up. We know you’ve worked very hard to survive, like the rest of us.

I’ve been quite ill since April, with a rather interesting and very debilitating sickness, and now my issues have to do with disability applications and the like. I’m also getting SS early retirement, which helps somewhat. It would be so much better to be working.

Fortunately, my family has been supportive, even if they’re not wealthy. My county health plan has also provided a lot of expensive medical care (for free), and my county hospital is known for its level of expertise in the head injury department (would you believe I had a spontaneous head injury?).

The UI topic seems to have been successfully ignored by Congress and company, and that’s something I will never forget. Too bad I don’t have the health and energy to protest with the Occupy activists.

Good luck to all of us!

where 01/12/2012 1:51pm
in reply to where Jan 12, 2012 1:19am

Ohh I feel another “Change” coming!

where 01/12/2012 1:19am
in reply to nancym Jan 11, 2012 10:13pm

There are a few out here that want to go to ND, I just dont have anything to make the trip on, Im supposed to get some money this month, So maybe I will head up there soon, right now Im on the bare edge, not even enough for food to last more than a week, But somehow God always provides =) Ive been this way for 7mos, the worst was toward the end of oct, I was so close to losing everything, absolutely the most stress I have ever been through

nancym 01/11/2012 10:13pm
in reply to nancym Jan 11, 2012 10:13pm

Or on the other extreme, if you aren’t in terrible pain and can handle the physical work, have you already ruled out trying to get one of those North Dakota jobs? I know the truck might not make it, but there must be others who want to pool resources or driving to try to get something out there, if you have nothing else at all right now. I think you know about those booming ND jobs, right? Oil industry, but they seem to be supporting all kinds of supporting positions in the town also, if you can live in a van or car for a while at first when you get there. They even have a housing boom because of all that.

There, I think I’ve made enough posts for 2012!

nancym 01/11/2012 10:13pm
in reply to nancym Jan 11, 2012 10:12pm

Was, I know you can be resourceful. I don’t know just what kind of work you did professionally before the Recession, but I know there is a place for you out there somewhere in the world of work. Going to school can be tough, but it’s not so bad, at least it gives a respite from the hopelessness. Build on what you know, not some list of the “hot jobs” at the moment, which would probably be all filled by the time the those lists are printed. In computers and tech, I can’t say that age is never a factor, it is in some areas, but I just updated my resume on Monster and Careerbuilder with two new certificates and lo and behold I got a call for an interview almost immediately. (It’s tomorrow, not counting on it, since I’m still actually taking a couple classes, but it might turn out to be an opportunity.) I think they still have WIA funds for training or college at the Workforce centers, don’t know if in your area.

(cont.)

nancym 01/11/2012 10:12pm
in reply to nancym Jan 11, 2012 10:11pm

In what may seem like a contradiction to all that, from my perspective I really do see a genuine uptick in job openings lately, a pretty significant one. Usually I view the rosy forecasts as so much hype, but the increasing job ads, at least in some areas of work, are so much more than I saw in 2008-9 that I do feel at least a little more hopeful. In fact, I even have a job interview tomorrow, just a temp contract, but using software I’ve been studying.

I think it’s without question that there simply won’t be enough jobs for everybody needing one for several years to come, and the salaries are far lower and very few jobs are “permanent.” But I do think that for at least some, in some industries, and especially for anyone who is really resourceful and can be flexible, there is at least a survivable future, even if not on the same level of security and ease as before.

(cont.)

nancym 01/11/2012 10:11pm
in reply to nancym Jan 11, 2012 10:08pm

I recognized one guy I knew from his computer lab visits, a nice guy from the midwest, who they said they couldn’t even find his people to notify. He was found in the canal, and we had to draw our own conclusions.

There was only one woman on the list, and only one young guy. The rest were all from around late forties to about 60. Just seems like a “lost generation” or forgotten, more like it. As we all know, too young for SS, but too old and experienced to find it easy to find work in this job market. To shake off the dismalness of this I threw myself into hitting the stores in search of gifts from a long list for the homeless kids in their planned Santa party.

(cont.)

nancym 01/11/2012 10:08pm
in reply to WasMiddleClass Jan 01, 2012 10:47pm

I think I keep trying to help out at the Jubilee Center (it’s a soup kitchen, but also provides a lot of social services) because if I weren’t able to take some kind of action I’d probably burn up from my own anger at what’s happening in this country. Seeing that daily on the tube and online just contributes to feelings of being helpless to change anything, so I have to act, even if it’s in small ways.

There are some things I didn’t even want to post at Christmas time, since the holidays can be hard enough as it is. But I was pretty gutted when I went to Jubilee just before Christmas and saw a list on the door of about two dozen names. I asked what it was and was told it was a list of all the local homeless who had passed away during the last year (the ones found with Jubilee IDs on them). They had had a memorial ceremony, I think with their names on a Christmas tree, or something like that.
(cont.)

nancym 01/11/2012 9:29pm
in reply to WasMiddleClass Jan 03, 2012 9:51pm

I hope you choose the “fight like hell” option, Was. I have a feeling you will continue with that one.

But I know how alienated we can get when the social life seems to disappear for just the smallest of things, like not being able to afford a simple lunch out, an expense that in earlier years we wouldn’t even think twice about. That common experience of having to watch every single penny, literally, is just missing with former friends who are regularly employed or still have adequate assets, even if they try to be helpful.

I’m very lucky that I made it to be just old enough to get SS in time, and I also got student loans (carefully) and a few other flukes in my personal history have put me in a better place than back in 2008-2009. But I can’t easily forget going through those most frightening and unexpected times in my life in those years when I truly feared homelessness or at best living in a friend’s barn without even a sink.

nancym 01/11/2012 9:16pm
in reply to where Jan 11, 2012 5:07pm

Oh, for heaven’s sake, where! LOL!

where 01/11/2012 5:07pm
in reply to where Jan 10, 2012 8:41am

I havent tried this one yet =D

where 01/10/2012 8:41am
in reply to WasMiddleClass Jan 07, 2012 8:58pm

I think they are looking for my witty posts =D

I feel a need to “Change” my picture again =D

WasMiddleClass 01/07/2012 8:58pm

I notice that when I post here regularly the views go up, and when I’m gone for a while they drop.

I guess someone out there besides old funny face up there is still reading here :)

WasMiddleClass 01/07/2012 8:49pm

Real Jobless Rate Is 11.4% With Realistic Labor Force Participation Rate

One does not need to be a rocket scientist to grasp the fudging the BLS has been doing every month for years now in order to bring the unemployment rate lower: the BLS constantly lowers the labor force participation rate as more and more people “drop out” of the labor force for one reason or another. While there is some floating speculation that this is due to early retirement, this is completely counterfactual when one also considers the overall rise in the general civilian non institutional population.

WasMiddleClass 01/07/2012 4:12pm
in reply to where Jan 05, 2012 9:46pm

I’m sorry if you don’t believe in our Constitution…

LOS ANGELES — The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals issued a historic decision today in a case filed by the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California and the National Lawyers Guild seeking an end to the criminalization of people who sleep on the streets when no shelter is available.

Writing for the majority, Judge Kim M. Wardlaw ordered the District Court to stop enforcement of a Los Angeles city code that allows police to arrest people for sleeping on the street when there are no available shelter beds.

“The Eighth Amendment prohibits the City from punishing involuntary sitting, lying, or sleeping on public sidewalks that is an unavoidable consequence of being human and homeless without shelter in the City of Los Angeles,” Judge Wardlaw wrote.

where 01/05/2012 9:46pm
in reply to where Jan 05, 2012 9:36pm

I guess they are right, Poor homeless people in twenty degree weather wont be around very long will they?

Also the statement “on a report of a man being found dead.” tips us off on the fun way this “Transient” Died, They never mentioned what he died from so I assume he burnt first and then froze to death all alone in agony during this festive season, He should have got a job right?