H.R.589 - Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act of 2011

To amend title IV of the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for additional weeks of first-tier emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (4)

• Official: To amend title IV of the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for additional weeks of first-tier emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act of 2011 as introduced.
  • Short: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act of 2011 as introduced.

BPennett 02/11/2011 1:25am

College grads will need a Phd in patience…….the guy uses smoke and mirrors…….where he is slacking he uses symantics (ie “sved or created”) to puff himslf up……when they are stumped they degrade (ie 99er’s)the suffering……it’s very sad…… then the talking heads will say “PARSING” the language……TALK TALK TALK……please don’t let this country deteriorate into a country of BULL SHIT!!!!! we are talking simpeand straight in laymens terms…..create JOBS JOBS JOBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As was the case with 9/11, he could have used this as the biggest rallying issue since but he missed it……

sclark113 02/11/2011 1:50am

2011 Unemployment Extension – 99ers Everywhere Gear Up to Support H.R. 589

Spam Comment

WasMiddleClass 02/11/2011 4:54am

Rep. Barbara Lee and Gregg Rosen discuss the 99er unemployment benefits bill

A number of statements and videos were released today, which detail the unemployment benefits extension press conference held by Rep. Barbara Lee (D-CA). This proposed bill, if passed, would extend unemployment benefits for 14 weeks to all unemployed, regardless of the state current maximum.

JohnB 02/11/2011 8:31am

For those in Calif, remember to keep logging into Cal Job every now and then. EDD will know if you’re unemployed if you keep logging in. If you don’t, they could remove your profile, and that could make it much harder to get any extended benefits.

Legion1 02/11/2011 5:38am

1,083 views today according to the counter & 61 votes for/against.

C’mon people, have you learned nothing from the last election? You were warned what would happen & here we are. Even though unemployment is affecting all common ‘pubs & ’dems, you voted ’pubs & TPers into office anyhow. This is the result, they want us all dead. They’re going to cut everything we need help with while their rich contributes get unfunded tax cuts & greedy bankers & Wall street gets bailed out…how much more proof do ya’all need to figure out just who your enemy is?

SHOW SOME DAMN SUPPORT OR DIE AT THE HANDS OF TPers & ’pubs. These people are put to help only themselves & kill YOU in the process.

Legion1 02/11/2011 9:55am
in reply to sclark113 Feb 11, 2011 9:40am

Mr. Clark, while this is good news, we all know Ed has been speaking up for us 99ers for months now. A place we need a voice is on something like Hardball where, that I can remember, Matthews has not once said a word about us. Not a single one of the majors has even reported anything about this bill. (and I know its only day 2, but they cover a lot less important stories when they break.) We all know how the majors are avoiding us like the plague and refuse to report anything or at least just about anything to do with us. I’ve sent the question to Matthews & Hardball many times asking simply “why don’t you do any segments on the 99ers?”. To date all I get back is silence. Matthews would be one that just might make a difference.

WasMiddleClass 02/11/2011 8:06am

Democrats challenge Republicans: extend lifeline to 99ers

Lee said she and co-author Scott are arguing “this is an emergency” in order to exempt the legislation from Congress’ pay-as-you-go requirements. But, short of that, they are discussing with the Obama administration and House Democratic leaders other ways to make up the estimated $14 to $16 billion needed, according to Josh Richman of the Bay Area News Group.

Legion1 02/11/2011 9:29am

But the problem appears to have deeper roots. In the 1990s, the labor force grew by 1.3 percent a year. Last decade, that figure dropped to 1 percent. And the Congressional Budget Office predicts that over the next decade, it will grow by only 0.7 percent.

Taken together, the slow growth of the labor force and the low participation rate mean that the offiical unemployment rate, now at an already high 9 percent, underplays the actual rate of joblessness even more than such official figures usually do. Â That’s because the official rate doesn’t include workers who have grown discouraged and stopped looking for work—and that number appears to be unusually high.

WasMiddleClass 04/13/2011 6:25pm
in reply to WasMiddleClass Apr 13, 2011 6:18pm

Pretty prophetic now it seems…

WasMiddleClass 02/13/2011 2:43pm
in reply to sclark113 Feb 13, 2011 2:17pm

Hi Scott,

Between killing myself to try to make a few dollars, and being sick in bed for a day, I didn’t even turn on my computer for a while. I have to split wood tomorrow again.

If they don’t find a good way to pay for it we will never get it passed. We’ve already been through that…a few times.

It seems like some of our bloggers are MIA now from my searches. That’s not good.

I see we have technical problems here again. It is taking forever to get something posted.

Spam Comment

WasMiddleClass 02/14/2011 2:35am
in reply to WasMiddleClass Feb 14, 2011 2:29am

Wouldn’t it seem that the Demopublicans and Republicrats are in complete agreement when it comes to exporting our jobs and industry for the benefit of the filthy rich?

..Today we must fight as if our lives depended on it because they do…

WasMiddleClass 02/11/2011 11:56am
in reply to WasMiddleClass Feb 11, 2011 11:55am

Under such a system it is mathematically impossible for the 99ers to regain their place in society, as every time the rich take more as a compromise for giving us a little, more jobs are lost. I have said it before. It is at present a frenzy among the rich to see who can steal the most of the last we have left.

WasMiddleClass 02/11/2011 12:11pm
in reply to WasMiddleClass Feb 11, 2011 12:10pm

Are so many Americans now ready to accept living on the street because of what the elite have done to our economy for their own benefit?

Are they willing to have their tents cut up, food stomped on, and few remaining possession taken away just because they became a worthless homeless person in the eyes of government?

If the viewers out there think we can win this alone, they are dead wrong. They mind as well accept the fact that things will only get worse for most.

I will survive. So will many others of my friends. That is why we are still online, because we are survivors.

You people out there have a big choice to make. Stand up, get involved, and help fight in this war…..or lay down and wait to be stomped on some more until you finally die.

JohnB 02/11/2011 9:27am
in reply to Legion1 Feb 11, 2011 8:31am

I’ve been keeping busy, trading stocks to get by, since I can’t find work. Last November my mother (lives with me), got a blood clot in her lungs. I happened to be right next to her when it happned (she passed out while I ws getting her into her bed). I called 911, they got her to the hospital. Her doctor said had I waited she would have died. He saw the scan of her lungs and saw where the clot was. GOD’s timing. If this had happened any other time, if I had been in another room or even at my computer ( a way from her), she could have died. She’s doing great now, even better then before. She’s 85. She spent a week in the hospital and 2 months in skiled nursing (her insurance paid for every thing :)

MrsChang 02/11/2011 12:47pm
in reply to JohnB Feb 11, 2011 9:27am

Hi John B,

We were wondering if you had found a job. I guess too many of us have not found anything. So here we are again.

Glad to hear you were able to take care of your mother in the nick of time. It was definitely providential that you were there. Wow, she’s 85! You’re lucky to still have her around.

We have a long way to go with this hoped-for unemployment extension. If it gets approved, we still have to wait for EDD to send the checks. I really hope this all works out.

Mrs. Chang

WasMiddleClass 02/11/2011 4:21pm
in reply to fakk2 Feb 11, 2011 4:18pm

I don’t know. I can’t even see the post because I found you guys by clicking on “newest first” Frigging new-fangled stuff!

WasMiddleClass 02/14/2011 4:41am
in reply to sclark113 Feb 14, 2011 3:00am

Excellent article my friend!

I may not have to split wood today after all since no one else showed up yet. I could use another day to recover…

I’m still having problems getting the page to load here. Seeing as how long it has been going on now it makes me wonder if it is a denial of service attack from someone…

adamaiken 02/19/2011 2:49am

Worldwide revolution, I called this shot back in November and December but little did I realize it would materialize this soon.

WasMiddleClass 03/07/2011 10:51am
in reply to wstaff Mar 07, 2011 10:32am

$5 per gallon? Ct is is in the top few high gas price states. We have not hit $4 yet.

Spam Comment

sclark113 02/13/2011 2:39am
in reply to Sher1 Feb 13, 2011 2:12am

Hi Sher1

We all know that this battle will not be won if we just sit on the sidelines, that’s for sure, but I think we are up for it! I have heard that Rep. Barbara Lee have stated that they have some methods to offset the cost of the bill if need be so that is great news as I think that’s what will wind up being the difference maker. With 60 co-sponsors now, all democrats, we need to get some republicans on board, and I think the only way many of them will move with today’s “cut, cut, cut” mentality is if offsets can be found. IMO

WasMiddleClass 02/11/2011 4:17pm
in reply to fakk2 Feb 11, 2011 4:16pm

What? I know where has a funny nose…but what?

Spam Comment

WasMiddleClass 02/10/2011 1:26pm

“The jobless isolate themselves because we’re ashamed,” Dawn Bliesener told the crowd of about 20.

“We want to change that.”

That’s why Bliesener helped form the People’s Center Jobs and Unemployment Crisis Committee. They meet weekly (Thursdays, 5 p.m., 37 Howe St., New Haven) and, “We will help you with rent, foreclosure, food, heating clothing. You name it, I will find it,” says Bliesener. “We will help you with resumes, with finding jobs.

“I have been without. I know what it feels like.”

Bliesener lied about her age to start working at age 14. Now, at 55, she says, “I’ve paid into the state of Connecticut and the federal government all those years. They’re not giving me anything that’s not mine. We do not sit around on a hammock waiting for a government check.”

WasMiddleClass 02/11/2011 4:34pm
in reply to fakk2 Feb 11, 2011 4:29pm

“taxing so much”……

I researched much about the last tax cut debate.

2.3% was the HUGE Bush tax cut for “average workers” $23 out of a $1000 check.

Shall I go into the numbers for the “elite”?

nancym 08/11/2011 2:02pm
in reply to sclark113 Aug 11, 2011 4:43am

@sclark113

Thanks for posting, I added that to the Justice for the Unemployed group.

And it’s about time! Schakowsky will get trounced by catcalls of “class warfare!” for this, but frankly I’m glad. It’s about time the cards were laid on the table, the lines were unavoidably drawn, and true allegiances had to be exposed. I, for one, don’t shy away from that phrase; we’ve had out and out class warfare in this country since the 80’s. Setting that up as something beneath everyone’s sentiment is 1) some kind of denial, and 2) media manipulation of clever benefit only the the wealthy. I could never understand why someone making under $30K a year, or even someone unemployed, would eschew the term; is it something in our English roots? This country was actually founded on class war!

This can be a rallying cry for upcoming townhalls and district meetings this summer recess; there needed to be a focus other than the deficit. Look where all that got us.

Legion1 02/19/2011 8:41am

Sorry, that story is from Friday, not Thursday as I thought at first.

WasMiddleClass 09/25/2011 9:55pm
in reply to Sher1 Sep 24, 2011 9:50pm

So in reply to my post that contained only political opinions you reply with multiple personal attacks on me?

Hmmm…..