H.R.822 - National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011

To amend title 18, United States Code, to provide a national standard in accordance with which nonresidents of a State may carry concealed firearms in the State. view all titles (5)

• Official: To amend title 18, United States Code, to provide a national standard in accordance with which nonresidents of a State may carry concealed firearms in the State. as introduced.
  • Short: National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011 as introduced.
  • Official: National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011 as introduced.
  • Short: National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011 as reported to house.
  • Short: National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011 as passed house.

libertyczar 01/11/2013 11:20pm

This bill is all about the Comptroller General getting into the backdoor on the states. They think ANY federalization is good, even if its just a sneaky seemingly innocuous bill like this. They vote this in, then without a vote they AUTHORIZE the Comptroller General more power to regulate. Don’t let the camel put his head in the tent.

lremmell64 05/29/2012 11:54pm
in reply to Ajscott123 Dec 06, 2011 4:54pm

The Feds already have such a group that provides oversight on this, but our founding Fathers did not intend for the Federal level to provide or manage laws, but to each of the States.

lremmell64 05/29/2012 11:51pm
in reply to GROM Sep 19, 2011 9:18am

No, the Bill of Rights, are the rights to which all people of America are given and are there for the government to abide by. If they were not identified in the Constitution, as they have been, then the Feds could simply walk all over the citizens. Today we have a large Goliath Federal Government with people, both elected and appointed, who think they no longer work for the people of these United States of America and are attempting to evade the Constitution, as law of the land, and enforce unjust and unconstitutional laws.

lremmell64 05/29/2012 11:44pm
in reply to TheSmokingArgus Sep 14, 2011 6:27pm

The Federal Governmentnalready over steps their Jurisdiction, for lack of a better word, and requires States to abide by Federal Law. There are laws from FDA, EPA, IRS, DHS, HUD, etc.

Manyw, if not all States, need their Governors and State Assemblies to stand up to the Feds and let them know where the boundaries are and to stick to those boundaries. Unfortunately, many Governors are unaware of the powers they hold.

infantryNJNG 04/02/2012 12:54pm
in reply to hbquikcomjamesl Jul 11, 2011 6:01pm

The problem is I am a resident of NJ. I am also in the NJ National Guard 114th Infantry Regiment. I am more qualified than the majority of the police officers in my state. Most of the officers in my town are right out of high school and I had to educate them on gun laws and functionalities of such weapons. Yet if they applied for a CCW permit they are automatically granted one, but when I apply twice I am instantly denied.

isadora14104 02/07/2012 2:43pm
in reply to RyanAnchors Sep 18, 2011 5:17pm

Shall-issue laws permitting the carrying of concealed firearms (CCW) (where law enforcement has no discretion in issuing a permit or license) do not appear to reduce crime, and no credible statistical evidence exists that such permissive CCW laws reduce crime. There is evidence permissive CCW laws generally will increase crime. Source: Ian Ayres & John J. Donohue III, Shooting Down the “More Guns, Less Crime”

For every person who dies from a gunshot wound, two others are wounded. Every year, more than 100,000 Americans are victims of gun violence. In addition to those who are killed or injured, there are countless others whose lives are forever changed by the deaths of and injuries to their loved ones. U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Mo_Mom 01/24/2012 2:10pm
in reply to bingocimo Dec 01, 2011 7:14pm

As a woman, small business owner and mother who frequently travels across the U.S. alone carrying large amounts of merchandise and cash I don’t feel that I want to “play cowboy.” I simply want to be safe. CCW permit holders submit fingerprints, have annual background checks and go through a firearms safety course to have the privlege. Criminals who own guns do not.

ferrets1 01/16/2012 11:27pm

I dont understand what all the fuss is about. Reading this bill, and as I understand it, ALL it would do is force, say, MA to recognize my NH CCW license, no different than them recognizing my drivers license. However, I would STILL have to obey THEIR laws pertaining to firearms, just like obeying THEIR LAWS concerning use of my motor vehicle.

What this means is, I would be able to conceal and carry my 7 round .380 across the border, but Dad could NOT take his Glock, the ability/inability to defend yourself self would also be dictated by their laws, and MUST obeyed.

Ajscott123 12/06/2011 4:54pm
in reply to Amazon Nov 19, 2011 5:00pm

The more important question is why isn’t there an enforcement arm of the Judicial branch that, in cooperation with the Justice department, authorizes a corrective action to states’ laws to protect the right to bear arms?

THAT is the legislation that needs to be introduced.

bingocimo 12/01/2011 7:14pm

Love how much more concerned Americans are with the right to play cowboy and their stupid infatuation with guns then issues that really matter. I just don’t understand it. Guns kill plain and simple and there is nothing analogous to them.

Dear Congress, deal with the real issues that effect Americans day in and day out and leave the playground stuff alone.

Amazon 11/19/2011 5:00pm
in reply to GROM Sep 10, 2011 9:32am

Making a new law isn’t going to fix the issue, if they’re willing to ignore the oath they took, what makes you think they won’t ignore this law?

1ColdFalcon 11/17/2011 5:18pm
in reply to pmoore Nov 17, 2011 12:01am

There already are laws that are intended to keep firearms out of the hands of these people, with limited success. Criminals and those up to no good will always find a way to get what they want—that’s why they are criminals—they operate outside of established law. Should we outlaw every hunting knife, length of rope, piece of wire, ice pick, hatchet, automobile, and body of water in the country? Each has been used as a weapon to take a life—but if you take them away, I couldn’t go hunt or fish even for a weekend. The issue is that this legislation is a back-door method of gun control, just cleverly disguised. It is another attempt to chip away at the right to keep and bear arms. I live in Alaska—wild animals stroll onto the University campus every day, and bears come through my neighborhood. If your rights are being violated in your state, take it through the courts. It is your right to do so, just as it is our right to keep and bear arms.

pmoore 11/17/2011 12:01am
in reply to Wolf45acp Sep 13, 2011 2:10am

Let’s get a bill out there that keeps guns out of the hands of criminals and psychos, and then we’ll talk about your rights.

OldNYFirefighter 11/16/2011 11:17pm
in reply to danowskij01 May 07, 2011 10:47pm

Not likely with Schumer, McCarthy & Gillibrand still in the Senate & House. Most upstate Counties with the exception of Albany, usually issue un-restricted CCW Permits. In Albany County you have to be a LEO, Politician, friend of the Judge & definitely a Democrat to have an un-restricted CCW Permit. Albany County Government is still living in the year 1687.

rczj 11/16/2011 1:46pm

I just want to know at what point did the individual States have the right to violate someone’s 2nd Amendment Right? Aren’t we the United States? Why should the State that I reside in get to decide when it should be the Federal Government that my 2nd Amendment Right is based in? My 1st Amendment isn’t restricted when I cross State lines. Why should my 2nd Amendment be?

btrask3 11/05/2011 1:52pm

For me, everything comes down to ONE basic question. Do I TRUST the Government to dictate whom among us have the right to bear arms? Or do I trust myself with that decision? For me, NO ONE has the right to choose what is best for me. Not the collective, not a dictator, not the United Nations or because of a treaty with foreign governments or organizations, and certainly not our own Government… it’s a matter of TRUST and true FREEDOM.

thedeuce 11/01/2011 9:03am
in reply to maxim80 Oct 15, 2011 11:51am

well since no one can seem to figure out how that the best way to stimulate the economy is to limit government involvement (which is proven throughout the United States history btw), they might as well do something productive.

thedeuce 11/01/2011 9:01am
in reply to PaulSiraisi Oct 24, 2011 10:32pm

not quite, 49/50 states currently have some form of concealed carry on the books, however (disregarding the may-issue states) the problem is that south carolina, for instanc, doesn’t recognize any state permit but their own, and they only issue to residents, so if i’m from north carolina and i need to do a lot of business in SC, i i can’t exercise my rights. this doesn’t replace state permits, but it does give them reach across state lines.

thedeuce 11/01/2011 8:56am
in reply to squirl_55 Oct 13, 2011 10:45pm

there is no federal permit, instead the fed requires that state recognize each others existing permits. so for instance, you will still have to get your missouri permit, but your permit would now authorize you to continue carrying in new york or illinois.

thedeuce 11/01/2011 8:53am
in reply to thedeuce Nov 01, 2011 8:52am

forgive my poor spelling

thedeuce 11/01/2011 8:52am
in reply to TheSmokingArgus Sep 14, 2011 6:21pm

so you’re saying that states should be able to decide whether or not they want to recognize another states drivers license? i see nothing in this bill that constitutes a violation of states rights, but instead what i see protects indavidual rights. i live in maryland and, like california, you cannot, unless you are rich and or influential, get a ccw permit, nor carry if you are from out of state. people in virginia are very able to get a ccw permit, but the moment they continue exercising their right into maryland they are felons. that’s not right and constitutes an interstate issue, which is federal territory.

TheBeleranEffect 10/28/2011 7:38am
in reply to TheSmokingArgus Sep 14, 2011 6:21pm

The court has already ruled that the 10th amendment does not make it so that the federal government cannot give itself more regulatory powers. (United States v. Darby)

PaulSiraisi 10/24/2011 10:32pm

The comparison to free speech is interesting. But wouldn’t the correct application of that be a constitutional challenge to any state infringing on some definition of the right in question?

maxim80 10/15/2011 11:51am

We have the highest unemployment since the Great Depression, economy teetering on the verge of another recession and this is what republicans are concerned with at this time…really? This is a testament to the stupidity of many voters in this country…“The world around me could be turning to sh*t, but as long as I have my bible and my gun, it’s all good.”

sideng 10/14/2011 6:41pm

You appear to be using these “qualifiers” as an excuse to keep arms out of the hands of ALL poeple if the state desires. A convenient way to disarm the populace. The REAL meaning of those “first 14 words” is to establish the necessity of the remaining ones. Remember also that NOTHING in the Constitution was EVER intended to limit the people, only the government. Additionally, the Constitution DOES NOT grant any rights, they are already ours and cannot be removed by government restrictions.

squirl_55 10/13/2011 10:45pm

We here in Missouri have CCW. Will the federal permit replace the states permit. The folks in the W.H. have been looking for a way to further restrict gun owners rights, let alone right to carry. They have no problem lying to congress, and the people to get what they want.

flcjinflorida 10/10/2011 12:03pm
in reply to theaton Apr 18, 2011 9:20am

By having this legislation, we are forcing them to uphold the constitution.

flcjinflorida 10/10/2011 12:01pm

Actually, if you read this bill correctly, you can get an out of state license and use it in the state of New York. They have to accept a license from any other state, and some states have a permit for non-residents. It may cost you a bit more, but I think it would be worth it.

Inquisitor2 09/26/2011 1:11am
in reply to Inquisitor2 Sep 26, 2011 12:32am

This is not an issue of States’ rights but rather is an issue of the Federal Government fulfilling its obligations to prevent States from denying citizens’ US Constitutional rights!

Inquisitor2 09/26/2011 1:08am
in reply to Inquisitor2 Sep 26, 2011 1:05am

Eventually, I hope, SCOTUS will be forced to answer the question: “By what definition of ‘shall not be infringed’ is regulation of how and where the ‘right to keep and bear arms’ is exercised, NOT an infringement?”.