The easiest way to email your members of CongressDonate Now
S.2106 - Josh Miller HEARTS Act
A bill to establish a grant program for automated external defibrillators in elementary schools and secondary schools.
Loading Bill Text
Rollover any line of text to comment and/or link to it.
Mr. BROWN of Ohio (for himself, Mr. BEGICH, Mr. SANDERS, and Mrs. GILLIBRAND) introduced the following bill; which was read twice and referred to the Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and PensionsCommentsClose CommentsPermalink
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
SEC. 2. GRANT PROGRAM FOR AUTOMATED EXTERNAL DEFIBRILLATORS.
(a) Program Required- The Secretary of Education shall carry out a program under which the Secretary makes grants, to local educational agencies, to be used by the local educational agencies for one or both of the following:CommentsClose CommentsPermalink
(2) To provide training to enable elementary schools and secondary schools served by the local educational agency to meet the requirements of subsection (d)(1), but only if automated external defibrillators are already in use at such schools or are acquired through this program.CommentsClose CommentsPermalink
(1) LOCAL EDUCATIONAL AGENCIES- To be eligible to receive a grant under this section, a local educational agency shall submit an application to the Secretary at such time, in such form, and containing such information as the Secretary may require.CommentsClose CommentsPermalink
(2) ELEMENTARY AND SECONDARY SCHOOLS- To be eligible to receive an automated external defibrillator through a grant under this section, a school may be any public or private school served by the local educational agency, except that an Internet- or computer-based community school is not eligible.CommentsClose CommentsPermalink
(1) IN GENERAL- To be eligible to receive a grant under this section, the local educational agency shall provide matching funds from non-Federal sources equal to not less than 25 percent of the amount of the grant.CommentsClose CommentsPermalink
(2) WAIVER- The Secretary shall waive the requirement of paragraph (1) for a local educational agency if the number of children counted under section 1124(c)(1)(A) of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (
(d) Training and Coordination Required- A local educational agency that receives a grant under this section shall demonstrate that, for each elementary and secondary school at which the automated external defibrillators are to be used--CommentsClose CommentsPermalink
(C) have successfully completed training, with the expectation that the certification shall be maintained, in the use of automated external defibrillators and in cardiopulmonary resuscitation, conducted by the American Heart Association, the American Red Cross, the National Safety Council, or another nationally recognized organization offering training programs of similar caliber;CommentsClose CommentsPermalink
(3) with respect to which the average time required for emergency medical services (as defined in section 330J(f) of the Public Health Service Act (
(f) ESEA Definitions- The terms used in this section shall have the meanings given to such terms in section 9101 of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (
(g) Authorization of Appropriations- There are authorized to be appropriated to carry out this section such sums as may be necessary for each of the fiscal years 2013 through 2018.CommentsClose CommentsPermalink