S.803 - Border Security Enforcement Act of 2011
A bill to implement a comprehensive border security plan to combat illegal immigration, drug and alien smuggling, and violent activity in the southwest border of the United States. view all titles (2)
All Bill Titles
- Official: A bill to implement a comprehensive border security plan to combat illegal immigration, drug and alien smuggling, and violent activity in the southwest border of the United States. as introduced.
- Short: Border Security Enforcement Act of 2011 as introduced.
This Bill currently has no wiki content. If you would like to create a wiki entry for this bill, please Login, and then select the wiki tab to create it.
- Today: 1
- Past Seven Days: 5
- All-Time: 3,288
Official Summary4/13/2011--Introduced.Border Security Enforcement Act of 2011 - Directs the Secretary of Defense (DOD) to deploy at least 6,000 National Guard personnel to perform operations in the Southwest Border region (Region) (the area in the United States that is within 150 miles of the U.S.-Mexico
Official Summary4/13/2011--Introduced.Border Security Enforcement Act of 2011 - Directs the Secretary of Defense (DOD) to deploy at least 6,000 National Guard personnel to perform operations in the Southwest Border region (Region) (the area in the United States that is within 150 miles of the U.S.-Mexico international border) to assist U.S. Customs and Border Protection in securing such border. Directs the Secretary of Homeland Security (DHS) to increase, by September 30, 2016, the number of Border Patrol agents stationed in the Region by 5,000. Directs the Attorney General (DOJ), the Secretary, and the Director of the Administrative Office of the United States Courts to:
(1) implement Operation Streamline in the Region; and
(2) reimburse state, local, and tribal law enforcement for related detention costs. Authorizes the chief judge of each federal judicial district in the Region to appoint additional full-time magistrate judges who shall have the authority to hear all cases and controversies in the district in which the respective judges are appointed. Directs the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to enhance border enforcement preparedness and operational readiness through Operation Stonegarden. Directs the Secretary to:
(1) construct, as needed, additional Border Patrol stations in the Region to provide operational support in rural, high-trafficked areas;
(2) upgrade existing Border Patrol forward operating bases and establish new bases as needed;
(3) complete the construction of a permanent checkpoint near Tubac, Arizona, and deploy additional temporary roving checkpoints in the Region. Amends the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 to direct the Secretary to:
(1) complete the required 700 mile southwest border fencing by December 31, 2011; and
(2) construct double- and triple-layer fencing at appropriate locations in the Region. Authorizes the Secretary of Agriculture (USDA) and the Secretary of the Interior to provide U.S. Customs and Border Protection personnel with access to federal lands under their respective jurisdictions (within 150 miles of the Region) for security activities. Directs the Secretary to establish a two-year grant program to improve emergency communications for persons who live or work in the Region and who are at greater risk from border violence. Provides for:
(1) specified equipment and technology enhancements; and
(2) reimbursement of state, county, tribal, and municipal costs associated with the prosecution and pre-trial detention of federally initiated criminal cases declined by local U.S. Attorneys' offices. Amends the Tariff Act of 1930 to include ultralight vehicles within the definition of "aircraft" for purposes of aviation smuggling provisions. Provides for DOD-DHS cooperation in identifying DOD equipment and technology that could be used by U.S. Customs and Border Protection to improve security along the U.S.-Mexico border by:
(1) detecting border tunnels and ultralight aircraft, and
(2) enhancing wide aerial surveillance.
...Read the Rest
Organizations Supporting S.803
- Arizona Cattlemen's Association
Organizations Opposing S.803
- Sierra Club
- Sky Island Alliance
- Center for Biological Diversity
- Defenders of Wildlife
- The Wilderness Society
- New Mexico Wilderness Alliance
- ...and 2 more. See all.
Latest Letters to Congress
S.803 Border Security Enforcement Act of 2011
February 24, 2012
I support S.803 - Border Security Enforcement Act of 2011, and am tracking it using OpenCongress.org, the free public resource website for government transparency and accountability.
I am concerned that the President and Secretary of Homeland Security are ignoring existing laws and thier responsibility to secure the border. I believe S. 803 should also specify that troops on the border be well armed, and that the bill will send a clear mandate to put a stop to the current illegal immigration...
S.803 Border Security Enforcement Act of 2011
August 01, 2011
I am writing as your constituent in the 5th Congressional district of Michigan. I support S.803 - Border Security Enforcement Act of 2011, and am tracking it using OpenCongress.org, the free public resource website for government transparency and accountability.