S.978 - Commercial Felony Streaming Act

A bill to amend the criminal penalty provision for criminal infringement of a copyright, and for other purposes. view all titles (2)

• Official: A bill to amend the criminal penalty provision for criminal infringement of a copyright, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Commercial Felony Streaming Act as introduced.

• throughthefire 07/03/2011 5:05pm

At the moment, I disagree with the bill in its’ current form. I believe that several changes could be made. For instance, instead of having to directly request permission from the publishers of said copyrighted works, the publishers should be able to decide whether or not to let people create videos containing their works, and should be able to define their own set of rules. I understand that it’s a bad thing that people are posting videos of entire episodes of TV shows and movies to Youtube, but the rules should be slackened a bit. I mean, five years in jail? I know that in most cases posting copyrighted material is bad, but in terms of games, it helps a lot. And as many people have said before, it would basically shut down most of the internet. Hopefully, this won’t end badly.

• Theroha 07/03/2011 5:17pm

The economy’s in the toilet. Massive unemployment rate. Multiple wars draining what little money we have left. Congress chooses to attack their own constituents instead of taking care of real problems. Once again, the tax payers are the ones being thrown under the bus.

• cappiman 07/03/2011 5:45pm

Congress please look over this bill or just scrap it, and work on the economy. Bill S.978 will probably be denied due to human rights, since it will deny our rights for freedom of speech, with this being so due to reviews being shot down, commentaries being denied, and not only that it will put Disk Jockeys out of Business, Radio stations, and Big named stream sites such as Rhapsody, and what not. Along with the fact that due to this law you will have to put people in jail causing the TAX PAYERS more money due to 10 year old children being in jail for posting any Anime Music Videos or commentaries that include video games, now I can understand movies. But all this is basically free advertisement for the companies.

• Zknight7126 07/03/2011 6:10pm

Ok, this bill is WAY too general and vague, so basically what this does is it makes artists stop poising money from already illegal YouTube uploads and streams, but also makes it so it is illegal to stream video games, and make “Let’s Plays”, which actually increases video game sales. This bill would also prevent you from posting videos of a 4-year-old kid singing one of Lady Gaga’s songs. I think this was made in 5 minutes and with no thought of consequences to the economy (video game sales and song covers), to people of the Internet, and to people just trying to have fun. This bill needs to be heavily revised for me to want this thing to pass.

• Starfam 07/03/2011 6:59pm

I am only 15 years of age, I don’t agree with this, I have a YouTube channel and I upload music. The only reason I upload is to entertain viewers and make the artist more popular. This bill is stupid and pointless, sorry for my foul language but I think this type of language that is appropriate for a teenager.

• Benpowerman 07/03/2011 8:27pm

I hate that bill I what to set it on fire

• DownwithS978 07/03/2011 8:32pm

1. This is the end of many partners on Youtube, who make their money, sharing video walkthroughs and the like for many fans such as Chuggaaconroy
    With 233,581,028 views

2. Who turns off all media when recording family moments?

Anyone who is part of a family unit or watches Youtube and the like
    MUST OPPOSE THIS BILL!

• Zknight7126 07/03/2011 8:57pm

@DownwithS978 the video game industry profits from LPers, why aren’t they opposing this?

• BlisteredBlood 07/04/2011 12:43am

You know, as I look through this bill, I see nothing on it that’ll help balance the outrageously high national debt. As far as I know, most profits these days come from LPers playing the company’s product, hearing their thoughts, listening to their criticism and/or praising the game for the experience it delivers. I’m not an LPer myself, but there are thousands – if not tens of thousands – I watch on YouTube that would suffer from this.

If Congress is ACTUALLY paying attention, they must reject this bill IMMEDIATELY.

• iTzPatryk 07/04/2011 12:53am

If this passes im throwing my Xbox, HD PVR, Laptop and TV out the window and I will never buy another video game again.
    Also what are you guys thinking every kid loves to get creative recording them selves play call of duty edit the clip and try to build a subscribe base.
    But you gonna ruin little Timmy,John,Jimmy,Jimbo whatever his name is dream just becuae hollywood is getting mad.. AT&T i will make sure to tell the person why im canceling if this passes.

• mlerch89 07/04/2011 2:45am

I just emailed her office and said “Good luck getting voted back in. S.978 just lost you your election.”

• NissanGTR35 07/04/2011 3:56am

Wow. This is the DEFINITION of the word Lobbyist. I hate Republicans. I hate Democrats. I just want a damn person who can work this economy problem out!! All it is now about money, greed, helping the rich and powerful get even richer while choking the middle and lower class! I myself am a gamer that posts to Youtube. Im actually making money from this so I could HELP MY DAMN FAMILY! About 85% of the money I gain , goes to my mom and dad. I also enjoy doing it.

• Arore 07/04/2011 3:10pm

This is unconstitutional. Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for “fair use” for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use. They cannot do this to us unless it falls out of the Fair Use rights. Things like Video Game Walkthroughs, Movie Reviews, Program Tutorials, and things in this general area fall under Fair Use. Businesses like IGN, Machinima, and many more, make reviews, walkthroughs, and joint advertisement for multiple businesses including Sony. Which is rather ignorant since Sony will not only loose millions of supporters and fans, but most of their revenue is brought in by advertisement for PS3 games. This is not worth the effort, or money. We have bigger problems to worry about. This will only hurt us more than help.

• KaizerKid 07/04/2011 3:34pm

This bill is wrong. With out the ability to post music on the internet freely,the internet will slowly die. Without Youtube,I’m positive that music and game sales with drop severely.

• undyingone 07/04/2011 5:06pm

Did she reply back, though? By the way, I’m against this POS bill as well.

• Kirk007 07/04/2011 7:30pm

I agree there is no need for any new laws as more then enough legal routes already exist to handle copyright infringement cases.
    Will these people abuse the power S.978 would grant them of course they certainly will abuse it as often as they can.
    Keep in mind these are the same people who tried to sue a 12 year old girl on welfare $24,000.

• Kirk007 07/04/2011 7:33pm

Keep in mind these are the same people who tried to sue a 12 year old girl on welfare $24,000 per song.

• heyjoe 07/04/2011 7:48pm

fuck yourself sen. amy kloberfuck.

• MopeyJoe 07/04/2011 8:05pm

I can almost guarantee that if this bill is passed, not only will the government abuse it (making themselves look more corrupt) for money, they will cripple youtube and other popular video game sites (such as IGN). And on top of that, if this bill gets passed, they would have to sue many people that upload videos on youtube, because I’m almost certain that 99% of people who upload videos on youtube have something that would go against this bill. Even I have videos that would be going against what this bill says.

Just imagine, if this bill is passed, what kind of boring videos will be on youtube – home-made videos that no one cares about and people trying to be music stars making bad music and music videos.

And keep in mind, this bill not only states that videos with music in them are illegal, videos with any form of video game in them will also be illegal.

• MopeyJoe 07/04/2011 8:18pm

Also, if Hollywood really wants this bill to pass, it’s only going to be counter-productive. If it passes, people are going to stop using youtube, causing people to know of movies via youtube or other sites to not know of future movies. Also, if this is about copyrighted material, wouldn’t that mean even saying a copyrighted name (such as Nintendo or Reese’s) in a video would be illegal? It never really specifies what would be considered copyrighted material, so I’m just assuming ALL material.

• Coeco 07/04/2011 9:44pm

Machinima isn’t a company. It’s a gathering-point of money-grubbing amateurs below the ages of 17 hoping to make themselves a profit by either plagarism or ad-revenue whoring.

• Coeco 07/04/2011 9:45pm

Machinima isn’t a company. It’s a gathering-point of money-grubbing amateurs below the ages of 17 hoping to make themselves a profit by either plagiarism or ad-revenue whoring.

• Coeco 07/04/2011 9:48pm

So you’re basically an aspiring teenager whom hope to replace an actual job with videos on you going through what thousands of other people have while recording it and smearing advertisements and deals with other companies in hopes of personal profit?

The world would be better with you in prison if you plan to make money off others inconvenience.

• BobbyisYoda 07/04/2011 10:59pm

I am right there with you in the boat: I signed up just so I could vote against this absurd bill.

• MopeyJoe 07/04/2011 11:29pm

Coeco, what you just said, was one of the dumbest arguments I’ve ever heard to anything.

I don’t plan on replacing a job with making videos and having advertisements all over my videos. I make videos because I can, and there is nothing stopping me as of this moment.

If I was truly planning on making money off of videos on the internet, I would drop out of high school, never think about going to college, and live with my mom until I’m 40. That is an awful way to live.

I have plans for the future, and making the videos that I do is just a side thing I do for fun, but the government likes to make money off of other people’s misfortune by making things illegal.

If you’re going to make a valid argument, try not to rip on others and have nothing to back that up. The government just wants to make things illegal so they can have more money from people who break incredibly strict laws, and you’re ok with that.

You’re a terrible person.
    Also, what are you saying is inconvenient?

• Arore 07/05/2011 12:39am

No and here is where you are wrong. Machinima, is a non-profit business used to make entertainment with video games and other forms of programs. As far is the businesses are concerned, they don’t care or Machinima wouldn’t participate in E3, receive games before they even release as a gift from the devs, and be bigger in popularity than your happy ass. And on another note, they do not infringe on copyrights since they are all made under the rights of Fair Use. Most of the members that are actually involved with Machinima and not just film jokeys are well in their 20’s and 30’s. And not only that, it is a way for young directors to get ideas across and show young talent among the film industry. You made a very ignorant and short thought statement and should withdraw it since it holds no substance among the people here.

• jarm2608 07/05/2011 2:00am

Not only I’m disgusted at seeing this kind of bill, I am furious over seeing such a ridiculous proposal! Five years in prison for this?!! Aren’t the prisons over crowded enough and now they want them filled with people who uploaded the wrong song on a video!!? I got a better idea, how about putting any congressman out of office who even has the audacity to vote for this bill!? There is no justifiable excuse for this since it would ruin online companies and individuals who are barely trying to earn a living in this recession. It would obliterate anyone just trying to get a foot in the door to making a better life then you want throw them in prison over it? That’s sickening! I am totally against this bill! Highly unfair and too strict, congress really needs to rethink this one! 50,000 online radio stations were swept away at least five years ago over a similar law and it hurt a lot of people. ENOUGH!! Dinosaur corporations hurting people to keep the status quo! Follow the money!

• Aspharxeno1011 07/05/2011 2:44am

I disagree, the only good part is stopping piracy. There are way more bad parts than good. For example: Machinima will fall and people are forced to stop advertising games for companies! Please reread and think about what you have just read.

• s978opposer 07/05/2011 3:16am

I honestly wish I could sit these three senators down and give them a big lyrical slap in the face with logic. THIS. BILL. IS. HORRIBLE. Think of all of the fre advertising corporations get from videos watched on the internet. As an example, a small company has made no content. They make a video game and within a few months over 1,000,000 copies of this game are sold because of advertising. Minecraft. Don’t believe it? Go look. Think of all of the READICULOUS attempts to throw little kids into jail due to videos they put up or songs they sing on film. Throwing children in prison as would be done to adults. I’m going to lose my professionalism for a few sentences. WHAT KIND OF MORON DOES THAT. HOW IMMORAL DO YOU HAVE TO BE, OR HOW DECEIVED BY LIES, OR HOW BLIND, OR HOW EVIL, HATEFUL, SCEMING, OR BACKSTABBING must you be, to throw INNOCENT CHILDREN into JAIL for up to 5 YEARS because of a song being in their video. Senators, think about your sanity, and think about your choises.

• s978opposer 07/05/2011 3:21am

I’m adding onto my previous comment.
    Think of the economical downsides to this bill. People would lose their jobs. WHOLE COMPANIES would be shut down. Machinima, IGN, and many others would lose their jobs. Think of the unemployment now, and think of it after a few more thousand or a couple dozen of thousands lose their jobs and have no way of finding a job, due to them being scoured and leeched dry by others who beat them to it? Think of all the advertising people would lose and MORE people would lose their jobs. Video Game creators, musicians, artists, even actors and performers. This act is sickening to my mind. This could trigger even worse of an economical breakdown than is going on right now. We need to FIX the economy! Not break it more! People WILL physically react. I know several people who claim to react violently or by leaving the country, or other things if this bill passes. Their jobs? Gone. Their entertainment? Gone with it. Their hope for America’s future? Gone with it.

Send Your Senator a Letter