S.978 - Commercial Felony Streaming Act

A bill to amend the criminal penalty provision for criminal infringement of a copyright, and for other purposes. view all titles (2)

• Official: A bill to amend the criminal penalty provision for criminal infringement of a copyright, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Commercial Felony Streaming Act as introduced.

• FCTTFAF 07/01/2011 2:35pm
    + 17

So if little Timmy records himself playing Call of Duty and talks about it, he can go to Federal Prison because of this bill? Sure, let’s slow down fixing the economy because little Timmy just wanted to record himself playing and put it on YouTube.

• andrewopposesS978 07/01/2011 2:56pm
    + 15

All I can say is that this is wrong. If you didn’t know, there is an industry online about online streaming of Video Games and other things. People like Justin Bieber (whom i don’t really care about, but he IS an example) can and have gotten famous/noticed online for their singing of copyrighted songs. It is a way to showcase talent and can also be a job for someone. If you support this bill then you would be supporting the collapse of MOST of Youtube’s online community as well as taking/destroying hundreds or even thousands of peoples actual jobs. This bill is wrong. We can’t smoke pot, Drink Alcohol, et cetera and yet we can smoke cigarettes which are actually deadly (I am not stating that Alcohol ISN’T harmful to human health, but it is just another example of loss of civil liberty). These Bills lately have become incredulous and i do not support them!

• XxIDTIBxX 07/01/2011 4:18pm

This Bill can’not be passed. if it is many people will be out of their jobs. Please do not let this pass

• XxIDTIBxX 07/01/2011 4:21pm

PREACH… I AGREE

• wingsifeternalxxi 07/01/2011 4:42pm

This bill is doing 2 things:
    1. Its stopping me from uploading or streaming movies and tv shows to the internet (which I don’t do in the first place)
    2. Its stopping me from uploading music and video games to the internet.

I’m fine with number one, that is the main intention of this bill. However, the way this bill is worded is causing number two to be set in action. This means i can’t upload me and my friend singing karaoke or game play of a video game for a review or something like that to a popular video sharing website such as Youtube.

The bill must be reworded as Game reviews end up helping video games and Music videos may encourage me to listen more to the artist and buy their album. Some people on the Youtube community go out of business because of this bill, such as the well known Machinima. I’ll say it again. This bill must be reworded, I’m not against anti-piracy but the way this is headed will basically shut down about 1/8 of the internet.

• John0218 07/01/2011 7:24pm
    + 21

First off, this bill is ridiculous. You can get five years in jail just for uploading a video to youtube.

For example, youtube is what made Call of Duty a billion dollar bussiness.
    Without people uploading Minecraft videos to youtube, it would still be a small indie game no one plays.

Uploading these videos in these circumstances does not cost the developers anything, neither does it make people not want to buy their product. It exposes it to people that otherwise may have not found out about it.

Nothing more needs to be added to law about this. There are already copyright laws in place that do a good job. This bill would be against our freedoms and liberties as an American citizen. Hopefully people will agree with me, and this will not pass.

• TheBlankLine 07/01/2011 9:09pm

Yes I think that your effect of the bill is much more advisable, because some people’s lives are based around putting games on youtube and streams. I actually bought some games, movies, and music because of what I heard and saw on streams.

• TheBlankLine 07/01/2011 10:08pm

I am an aspiring teenager who wants to make video game videos on youtube for a job. I spend about 1-3k dollars in a new computer and promoting my channel. One day I come to log on only to find that I have a fine up to 150k dollars or up to 5 years in prison. That is the jist of what will happen if you “polititions” pass this bill.

• mrfibb 07/01/2011 10:16pm

they cant let this bill pass
    if they do lots of companies will probably go bankrupt like IGN or Machinima

• Draco18s 07/01/2011 10:25pm

You know what Valve recently implemented into Team Fortress 2? A reply editor. It downloads a video from the server you’re playing on, converts it to a standard video type, lets you edit it, and then allows you upload it to YouTube. Spore did the same thing.

Gameplay videos do not infringe on copyright. In fact, said videos actually promote the game as free advertising.

This bill is insane and should not be passed.

• Lordbrick651 07/01/2011 10:27pm

This Bill wouldn’t help anyone, honestly.

Game Streams are almost Free Publicity, and that’s good for companies.

This Bill would only cause Harm in my eyes. Stop this bill dead in it’s tracks.

• ToBeContinued 07/01/2011 11:10pm
    Dear Senator Amy Klobuchar,AT&T,RIAA and everyone who supports this bill, What a disappointment. You want to make this a FELONY …please do your job and read this example of FUTURE FELONY. You’re in park and walking with your friends,having fun,telling jokes and recording everything on a video.Once you approach a coffee-shop your camera picks-up Chris Brown’s latest copyright protected music and now you have it in your video.If You upload your video to YouTube to share with Your family and friends….You’re risking to spend 5 years in jail.You can’t edit the audio because Your jokes and funny moments will be deleted too.

And You call this a FELONY?
    I will boycott AT&T by canceling my account with them since they promote this bill and I encourage everyone to do the same.
    Do I have to dial Chris Brown’s phone number and ask His permission to upload my video? Or why can’t I play Beethoven 9th symphony on my piano and upload it on YouTube?
    This bill makes no sense.Please vote NO.

• IHateAmyKlobuchar2 07/01/2011 11:19pm

Amy Klobuchar your a f***ing idiotthere bigger problems out there in the world and your picking let’s play. Seriously have you ran out of things to do? Let’s play don’t hurt the gaming companies it helps them by making us want to buy the game. They make more money like that. To a lot of people showing off games is a job like AVGN Chuggaconoroy Geewhoa Pokecinema Brain Scratch Cooms and many others who show off the games they love and hold dear. And you know what idiots at congress you should really focus on health care making more jobs and more important things. I’m 13 years old and I even see this is retarded. Too Pokecinema I really hope they see this and put it off.

• RedBehren 07/02/2011 12:19am

lots of people on youtube make money off of posting videos about videogames, if they pass this law, that will shut them down and they will no longer be getting money from youtube, or companies like Machinima, if they work with them

• mrcambrock 07/02/2011 12:34am

PLEASE EVERYONE WRITE TO YOUR SENATORS TO KILL THIS BILL (no pun intended)
    Listen game streams are very good entertainment that basicly give free advertisement for the games that are played and if anyone gives the argument that they have entertainment value but they have no real use then please go to youtube and check out WingsOfRedemption’s channel. Also check out Woody’sGamertag and watch his mail videos. At least they are doing something for the troubled youth of our time.

• IHATEBILLS978 07/02/2011 1:04am

I dont mean to sound like a dumbass or spell correctly im not the most literate but I go on YouTube all the time to watch walkthroughs of games and music videos. Not having that in my life, a minor set back but thats really depressing I understand the point but what the hell. So much good talent YouTube gone to waste cause of some stupid bill going a bit over board, and secondly I forget who you are but one of the first commentators saying how we should forget about this and worry about making our country less of a shit hole economy and other things in general, you sir are absolutely 100% correct at least some people look at more pressing matters

• Mouzhappy 07/02/2011 1:34am

pirating games and movies should be banned i agree with that, but banning internet stream? i mean come on, that is like saying you can’t share your game with your friend because “YOU” bought the game and your friend didn’t.

I’M GOING TO PROTEST IF THIS BILL PASSED

• Curt93 07/02/2011 4:10am

Can i add a nice revision then? make it so that reviews and ideo game walkthorughs immune this this. This bill fails to protect those who make entertainment for the art, or even to protect those who because I need walkthroughs. I can try for years, not beat the game. as for reviews. i am going to be so mad if i wasted my hard earned money. and why is little jimmy going to lose a right to vote because, of smoking? casing cancer for people around them? no. for killing someone? taking a life? no. just helping people for free. i dont pay for the walkthorugh my friend i never have too. people do it for there own self being. noone makes money on this stuff. 80% is taken down anyway. besides i would rather have the portability of an ipod then a laptop and youtube, metacafe, those video sharing sites, the site will take it down. only on your ipod is it never gonna go away. i would rather support the artist of the music then steal there money. i’m human not a copyright paronoid person.

• Curt93 07/02/2011 4:13am

scoobyk, good point my sir, work on the budget deficit, then stupid copyright stuff, really copyrights are superior to the national debt? or the budget deficit? i like you good sir.

• Curt93 07/02/2011 4:14am

see book, 1984, i call it a first hand look on communism. seeing author george orwell did base it on communism.

• supahshadow 07/02/2011 8:29am

Ok let me get this straight, you’re worrying about a little lost money in the music/gaming industry over something more important such as our economy and healthcare? Were talking about losing 250 million over some odd trillion that our country somehow owes? Don’t you think you richer people have enough money? Do you realize how much money you have that you don’t even use so much as to wipe your own a** with? We probably could have cured cancer by now if the richer ups would only donate a couple million.

And speaking of YouTube walkthroughs and such, I have been watching a FEAR 3 walkthrough and it has strongly influenced my decision to buy it. You see BAM! right there, free advertising! Many of those not supported by Machinima or IGN are just doing it for the entertainment of millions of viewers. Thats millions of viewers, checking out the game to see if they like it enough to buy it or not. Point is, pass this bill and you will have lost the support of people everywhere in the U.S.

• Xerron 07/02/2011 8:57am

This bill is ridiculous. Some of us depend on word of mouth in way of video distribution to get our product out there. For example, Minecraft. That game spread by word of mouth, thanks to many online communities, including YouTube. Passing this bill will frustrate the way developers can spread the word on their software. There are also many who solely rely on what this bill would destroy. This restricts what the first amendment protects concerning copyright.

I do not support this bill.

~ Xerron, of UgLee Games

• MightyMunch 07/02/2011 9:10am

There are many, many things i have to say. However, i only have a 1000 character limit, so I’ll make this slightly shorter.
    Essentially, this bill accomplishes what it wants to do. However, what it wants to accomplish is already illegal. Not only that, but it making things illegal that don’t need to be. People above me have made points about songs on youtube and such, and i agree wholeheartedly. There are entire communities of people on the internet that will be absolutely destroyed by this bill being passed, and every person on the internet would be affected in some way or another, whether they think they will or not.
    It’s obvious what direction you are trying to take with this bill, but i completely disagree with it. There is absolutely no harm in uploading lyrics to a song or gameplay footage of a game. If you buy them, that is. Its like saying i can no longer buy a new game and have my friends come over and play it with me or watch me play it. Thats what this is being limited too.

• lucanorian 07/02/2011 9:49am

This bill would not only destroy Youtube, but many live streaming sites as well. People who stream video game footage, myself included, don’t do this to make money off of these products, we do it because it’s fun and it helps spread the word of good games. Basically this bill will destroy the free advertisement game developers gain from us, essentially losing the money the music and movie industry so desperately think they need.

• legandarylife06 07/02/2011 10:00am

Don’t do it youtube would be destroyed by this bill I have seen people whoes life is doing videogame commentaries and all the big companies like IGN and Machinma please dont do it lots of people enjoy to listen to music some clips of video footage from tv shows and movies I honestly think the people that support this bill should think over it one more time before they get peoples life ruined.

• Praeclarus021 07/02/2011 10:30am

I know I’ve bought several games from watching “let’s plays” on youtube. If this bill passes, those gaming companies won’t get my business because I will have never heard of their games. Same goes for music. I listen to a song on youtube, if I like it, I’ll buy it. This bill will end up making the companies that support it lose money, not earn any. I think this bill needs to be seriously reconsidered, or thrown away like the garbage it is.

• roywu1214 07/02/2011 11:58am

If this bill is in hand companies like IGN, Machinima, Gamespot, Cnet, Techno Buffalo, and the list goes on will be taken down. CBS and AT&T approves this law? First of all, CBS will lose two companies that they own which is Gamespot and Cnet. Second, people who have contracts with AT&T heres that they approve this will get piss and try to get out of their contracts. Third, people who make game walkthroughs will not be able to do them anymore and besides many developers support them. Fourth, Young people who like making music won’t get discover. And finally, why put someone in jail just because they made a commentary that is just strange. But I never approve pirating. What I just say is something they need to consider

• roywu1214 07/02/2011 12:00pm

What I meant in my fourth sentence is that if people who have AT&T contracts hears about this they will get piss and try to get out of that contract

• jakethesnake22 07/02/2011 12:16pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hytigOSjJxc please listen to what he has to say he makes soe very good points

• jakethesnake22 07/02/2011 12:16pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hytigOSjJxc please listen to what he has to say he makes some very good points

Send Your Senator a Letter