S.978 - Commercial Felony Streaming Act

A bill to amend the criminal penalty provision for criminal infringement of a copyright, and for other purposes. view all titles (2)

• Official: A bill to amend the criminal penalty provision for criminal infringement of a copyright, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Commercial Felony Streaming Act as introduced.

roywu1214 07/02/2011 11:58am

If this bill is in hand companies like IGN, Machinima, Gamespot, Cnet, Techno Buffalo, and the list goes on will be taken down. CBS and AT&T approves this law? First of all, CBS will lose two companies that they own which is Gamespot and Cnet. Second, people who have contracts with AT&T heres that they approve this will get piss and try to get out of their contracts. Third, people who make game walkthroughs will not be able to do them anymore and besides many developers support them. Fourth, Young people who like making music won’t get discover. And finally, why put someone in jail just because they made a commentary that is just strange. But I never approve pirating. What I just say is something they need to consider

MightyMunch 07/02/2011 9:10am

There are many, many things i have to say. However, i only have a 1000 character limit, so I’ll make this slightly shorter.
Essentially, this bill accomplishes what it wants to do. However, what it wants to accomplish is already illegal. Not only that, but it making things illegal that don’t need to be. People above me have made points about songs on youtube and such, and i agree wholeheartedly. There are entire communities of people on the internet that will be absolutely destroyed by this bill being passed, and every person on the internet would be affected in some way or another, whether they think they will or not.
It’s obvious what direction you are trying to take with this bill, but i completely disagree with it. There is absolutely no harm in uploading lyrics to a song or gameplay footage of a game. If you buy them, that is. Its like saying i can no longer buy a new game and have my friends come over and play it with me or watch me play it. Thats what this is being limited too.

georgewquinn 07/18/2011 4:39pm

Do not let big companies buy our first amendment rights and set back our internet progress several years. Take a look at who supports this bill, and who doesn’t. Then check out how much each side has paid. They have bribed our congress to take away our rights!

emrey35 07/03/2011 5:52am

OK to the 10 people that support this What a shame that you support this. this law needs to be rewritten to say " for profit" why do you think youtube has become popular. this is just a way for the use government to violate our privacy. whay to turn communist. and what if the video is uploaded in another country does it make it illegal too. too brod of a bill to be passed. this is corupt politics. if this is signed, it means removing my covers that have gotton me half of my subscribers on youtube

jakethesnake22 07/02/2011 12:16pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hytigOSjJxc please listen to what he has to say he makes some very good points

RedBehren 07/02/2011 12:19am

lots of people on youtube make money off of posting videos about videogames, if they pass this law, that will shut them down and they will no longer be getting money from youtube, or companies like Machinima, if they work with them

6AWoolen 10/26/2011 12:11am
in reply to greatumpire83 Jun 17, 2011 2:15pm

to add tot that, theres really no loss in revenue for the youtube views, because the video is making money FROM the views and ads

Chunmeista 07/05/2011 11:16pm

Excuse me? But there are many other people who want media freedom. If you don’t want to post “copyrighted” stuff on Youtube, you go right on ahead and don’t.

It WILL cost us even more money to place people who break this “law” in prison. Otherwise good men and women who could be working their jobs, moving the economy along. Do you want to pay more taxes because of this bill? I refuse to pay for the cost of keeping someone in prison if they’ve broken this ridiculous “copyright law,” because the government has no right to do this to others.

That said, music artists should be creating their work from their hearts, not for profit. If the public approves of the musician, then they will be supported.

Many people visit Youtube to watch TV shows, anime, and game videos for free, and then go on to purchase merchandise related to it. If Youtube attempts to lay down such “copyright” restrictions, then it will become Google’s failed asset. People will go elsewhere to post and watch such videos.

Dreamsmith 07/05/2011 4:27am

Do you know why in movies and TV shows, people sing “For He’s a Jolly Good Fellow” at birthdays instead of the song most people sing at actual birthdays in real life? Because that song is copyrighted.

Did you know if you have posted videos on Youtube of your kids birthday party, this bill would see to it that you are sent to prison for having done so?

I hope Amy Klobuchar don’t run again. I tend to vote Democratic, but I certainly won’t be voting for Amy Klobuchar again, and I’d like to not have to vote for someone from a different party given that I’ll have to be voting against her next time around. Sorry I voted for her last time…

DownwithS978 07/03/2011 8:32pm

1. This is the end of many partners on Youtube, who make their money, sharing video walkthroughs and the like for many fans such as Chuggaaconroy
With 233,581,028 views

2. Who turns off all media when recording family moments?

Anyone who is part of a family unit or watches Youtube and the like
MUST OPPOSE THIS BILL!

MopeyJoe 07/04/2011 8:05pm

I can almost guarantee that if this bill is passed, not only will the government abuse it (making themselves look more corrupt) for money, they will cripple youtube and other popular video game sites (such as IGN). And on top of that, if this bill gets passed, they would have to sue many people that upload videos on youtube, because I’m almost certain that 99% of people who upload videos on youtube have something that would go against this bill. Even I have videos that would be going against what this bill says.

Just imagine, if this bill is passed, what kind of boring videos will be on youtube – home-made videos that no one cares about and people trying to be music stars making bad music and music videos.

And keep in mind, this bill not only states that videos with music in them are illegal, videos with any form of video game in them will also be illegal.

Starfam 07/03/2011 6:59pm

I am only 15 years of age, I don’t agree with this, I have a YouTube channel and I upload music. The only reason I upload is to entertain viewers and make the artist more popular. This bill is stupid and pointless, sorry for my foul language but I think this type of language that is appropriate for a teenager.

JordanMS 07/02/2011 10:53pm

NONO

100% NO

MrJogan 07/02/2011 3:26pm

This bill will put so many Youtubers out of a job it isn’t funny. Game content on Youtube and sites that stream don’t hurt games at all. Heck it’s what made Minecraft make so much money.

briperez 10/24/2011 5:48pm

We shouldn’t be mad that the music and video companies are behind this, we should be mad at those three politicians that are sponsoring the bill!

undyingone 07/04/2011 5:06pm

Did she reply back, though? By the way, I’m against this POS bill as well.

ove 07/12/2011 1:52am

We still have to actively fight it, or they might think we love it.

InsaneBeagle 07/17/2011 11:31pm

You should also note that it was made by Vevo. Who bought there rights to upload it…

newbienomsfewds 07/03/2011 12:21pm

This is BULL. CRAP. Not everyone can buy music— a lot of us don’t have the money. (Yes, actually, not everyone has a dollar to spare on music.) In fact, YouTube is a way of FINDING MUSIC! Now it’s not just the fake musicians and all of those people ruining music— It’s the government! You CAN NOT do this! In the words of Christofer Drew Ingle “set the music free”! I mean, REALLY!? Another issue is the games! So what? Now cr1tiKaL is going to get arrested!? NO! You need to leave these people alone. If you aren’t making money off of someone else’s work, then it should be fine! Now, I am boycotting YouTube. I hope others will join me until this is gone for good. This is just another way the US government is taking away OUR RIGHTS and we are gladly GIVING THEM AWAY for the ILLUSION of safety. I am officially ticked off. Thank you, stupid freaking people. This is why I would rather be in Mexico than in America— at least they are somewhat honest about what’s going on down there.

Praeclarus021 07/02/2011 10:30am

I know I’ve bought several games from watching “let’s plays” on youtube. If this bill passes, those gaming companies won’t get my business because I will have never heard of their games. Same goes for music. I listen to a song on youtube, if I like it, I’ll buy it. This bill will end up making the companies that support it lose money, not earn any. I think this bill needs to be seriously reconsidered, or thrown away like the garbage it is.

iGetPoints 07/02/2011 2:44pm

I dont understand the video game part. If I watch an ad (which cost the company money) 10% of the time I would buy it, now on the other hand if I watch a “Let’s Play” of the game on YouTube (which is free for the company unless this bill is passed) it makes me want to buy the game if I think i’ll like it

zombiebychoice 07/06/2011 12:38am

even if you were right about the music portion this bill doesn’t just effect the music industry. take the videogame industry for example. they make more money because people post videos of the videogame online, this is basically free advertising for them. if gamers cant see videogame info online the stocks for that industry will plummet as people dont know what to play. no to mention the companies on youtube that make a living reviewing games or showing walkthroughs on how to play it. the bill drastically needs to be rewritten before it ruins the lives of hundreds of thousands of people

joshuakeller40 08/06/2011 3:30am

It is amazing, absolutely AMAZING how STUPID they are.They are worrying about this crap when people are loosing their houses, have no insurance due to YOUR cuts and can’t get the meds that they desperately need.

You people are completely ridiculous.PAY ATTENTION TO THE BIG PROBLEMS DON’T IGNORE THEM!!!

Spam Comment

Rie 07/10/2011 12:37am

Seriously? All these companies support it? They won’t once their business close because youtube and other streams PROMOTE the products! People can’t seem to find out about their products until they see gameplay videos or clips and not the trailers actually brought up from that company. Yeah if it’s passed, congress is pretty much ruining the businesses and SPITTING ON THE GRAVES OF OUR FOUR FOUNDING FATHERS. It takes away our FIRST AMENDMENT because we not only use streams or gameplay to interact with games or to share our love for the movies and entertainment, but we also show our opinion and commentary. Nice United States. You are twisting the main purpose why we are here.

TwistedAkai 07/15/2011 6:09pm

I would just like to take a moment here to point out, the vast majority of copyrighted music I listen to on YouTube? I’ve already purchased it. It’s just easier to find on YouTube than in my library, and I like having the lyrics on screen. Plus, more than half of my CDs, I wouldn’t have gotten if I hadn’t first heard the artist through unauthorized streaming.

This bill would shutdown net radios that play music because they want to play it. Yeah. That would be a joy. I wouldn’t discover any new artists or albums because I’d have only country radio to listen to. Not to mention this would make it a felony to Skype while listening to music or playing a game with sound on.

And as a fun side note, I’ve seen DragonForce have their own postings of their own songs taken down, because the record label owns the copyright. Imagine if that became a felony?

d3v 07/22/2011 7:57am

This bill isn’t good for the companys, because they make money from people who make lets play or something!

willm1 07/12/2011 1:09pm

This is just plain stupid. The content is not predetermined like in music or a movie. It is mostly made by the person playing the game. So if i make a video and in the video i get walk on ground that belongs to a store or someone else, i should be sued because its not my property? I was allowed to walk on the ground and i am allowed to play on the games, but to record what i do with my own equipment is illegal? They need to stop these stupid bills that waste time and actually do something helpful for this country like solve our rising debt.

khaluu2000 07/02/2011 3:35pm

This discourages the video game industry so much as well as the music, dancing, and other art industry. Very ironic that the bill it meant to protect will only hurt them again….

bones446 07/08/2011 4:40am

7th comment? I may state that this is being typed from a phone.

I have been typing many comments lately, due to what I believe I have to say. I am a gamer, and I was going to get fraps for my recording software, but due to the current law that may be passed, I will not be able to. I believe that the law did state “copyright material,” but did not state video games specifically, if this information is correct. The law has leaved us confused or rather puzzled to its own text, and content. If you agree give me a +1 to get all my comments noticeable.

Send Your Senator a Letter