S.978 - Commercial Felony Streaming Act

A bill to amend the criminal penalty provision for criminal infringement of a copyright, and for other purposes. view all titles (2)

• Official: A bill to amend the criminal penalty provision for criminal infringement of a copyright, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Commercial Felony Streaming Act as introduced.

bones446 07/03/2011 2:15am

I may also state that I have seen people say sites will crash. Such as: IGN, YouTube, Machinima, and this bill will be posted everywhere, trust me. If these sites crash, half of the world or even more (about 50-75%) will be very angry at the people who have brought this bill up. I am angry also. I have signed up just for this. I have definitely opposed this bill.

BlisteredBlood 07/04/2011 12:43am

You know, as I look through this bill, I see nothing on it that’ll help balance the outrageously high national debt. As far as I know, most profits these days come from LPers playing the company’s product, hearing their thoughts, listening to their criticism and/or praising the game for the experience it delivers. I’m not an LPer myself, but there are thousands – if not tens of thousands – I watch on YouTube that would suffer from this.

If Congress is ACTUALLY paying attention, they must reject this bill IMMEDIATELY.

paulo345 07/03/2011 12:50am

I understand the movie, tv and music part of this bill. However, the video game part is absurd. To begin it isnt actually copyright to post a video of video game. with a movie, u watch it on the internet instead of paying for it. For a video game, u bought that game, posted a video of it and the people who watch the video cant just play the game for free. You are actually supporting that game by showing to others, than other people buy the game so game companies make more money. companies like machinima have deals with major game companies to post video of their game, so they will be fine, but the small independent channels on youtube wont survive. I honestly dont think anyone from congress will read this, so they will never understand that the bill is incorrect

Spam Comment

supahshadow 07/02/2011 8:29am

Ok let me get this straight, you’re worrying about a little lost money in the music/gaming industry over something more important such as our economy and healthcare? Were talking about losing 250 million over some odd trillion that our country somehow owes? Don’t you think you richer people have enough money? Do you realize how much money you have that you don’t even use so much as to wipe your own a** with? We probably could have cured cancer by now if the richer ups would only donate a couple million.

And speaking of YouTube walkthroughs and such, I have been watching a FEAR 3 walkthrough and it has strongly influenced my decision to buy it. You see BAM! right there, free advertising! Many of those not supported by Machinima or IGN are just doing it for the entertainment of millions of viewers. Thats millions of viewers, checking out the game to see if they like it enough to buy it or not. Point is, pass this bill and you will have lost the support of people everywhere in the U.S.

Lucwhinywindboy 07/02/2011 6:20pm

This is outrageous; many video streaming sites are already getting heat from users for removing videos with a small part of a copyrighted song. Copyright laws in the states need to relax – companies in Japan aren’t falling to pieces and their copyright laws are more relaxed.

If even the people you’re trying to defend with this law don’t agree with it (i.e., the video game companies), then it’s a VERY BAD IDEA.

shad0w 07/02/2011 4:51pm

Congress is playing into the hands of special interests, and going the opposite way that our IP policy should be going in the age of the internet. It is quite easy to see that dracionian copyright law and restrictive barriers in the information age. This is a horrible waste of our politicians precious time in Congress. Also, the amount of big business support for this bill is simply shocking, is the music/movie industry giving Sen. Amy Klobuchar a big bonus for introducing this bill?

Curt93 07/02/2011 4:13am

scoobyk, good point my sir, work on the budget deficit, then stupid copyright stuff, really copyrights are superior to the national debt? or the budget deficit? i like you good sir.

MicroBanana0228 08/06/2011 8:32pm
in reply to MBrykein Jul 31, 2011 7:58pm

It’s not about downloading, it’s about streaming.

vekiorus 08/08/2011 3:33am
in reply to MBrykein Jul 31, 2011 7:58pm

I would if I could.

abbeyroad119 10/30/2011 7:11pm

I support this bill because it gives credit to where credit belongs. Replication of copyrighted material involves people going through hoops, I know some of them are rediculous but by doing so, they give credit to the original thought. I just wish people would realize that there is work involved to get ahead in life, like jumping through the legal hoops in between point a and point b. So please, could people think about an issue from another point of view other than their own.

MicroBanana0228 08/06/2011 8:31pm

It takes stupid to pass stupid.

Kirk007 07/04/2011 7:33pm

I agree there is no need for any new laws as more then enough legal routes already exist to handle copyright infringement cases.
Will these people abuse the power S.978 would grant them of course they certainly will abuse it as often as they can.
Keep in mind these are the same people who tried to sue a 12 year old girl on welfare $24,000 per song.

Kirk007 07/04/2011 7:30pm

Keep in mind these are the same people who tried to sue a 12 year old girl on welfare $24,000.

NissanGTR35 07/04/2011 3:56am

Wow. This is the DEFINITION of the word Lobbyist. I hate Republicans. I hate Democrats. I just want a damn person who can work this economy problem out!! All it is now about money, greed, helping the rich and powerful get even richer while choking the middle and lower class! I myself am a gamer that posts to Youtube. Im actually making money from this so I could HELP MY DAMN FAMILY! About 85% of the money I gain , goes to my mom and dad. I also enjoy doing it.

joshuakeller40 08/06/2011 3:28am

This is not going to pass.Trust me.It’s stupid.

Alucard 07/03/2011 2:31am

i’m sorry is the government trying to piss gamers off? i mean there’s what about 1million gamers out there and out of all of the gamers i know majority of them eather stream or watch streams of games. if this law was to even pass they’d piss of a majority of the US population. kind of like how they’re trying to pass a new rating system in California

debivort 07/02/2011 10:57pm

The scope of the bill is the problem. Video game companies, for example, thrive on people uploading streams of commentaries of in-game footage – it’s serious free advertising for them, as well as community-building. By virtue of the copyright on those games, all such videos would be subject to felony prosecution. Even if the companies don’t want it. The problem is scope and clarity.

mrcambrock 07/02/2011 12:34am

PLEASE EVERYONE WRITE TO YOUR SENATORS TO KILL THIS BILL (no pun intended)
Listen game streams are very good entertainment that basicly give free advertisement for the games that are played and if anyone gives the argument that they have entertainment value but they have no real use then please go to youtube and check out WingsOfRedemption’s channel. Also check out Woody’sGamertag and watch his mail videos. At least they are doing something for the troubled youth of our time.

Alucard 07/03/2011 2:35am

ok then what about the streaming of video games? how the hell does that make any sense what so ever. blizzard doesn’t stream any of there games at all. in fact teamliquid is a streaming community that streams starcraft 2 while holding tournaments that blizzard even post on there own game and website. explain how in fact this law can be justified.

vlen 07/02/2011 10:15pm

Well there is something going on, and it’s not good. People of congress, senators, majority leaders, do not try to pass this bill. Or, don’t pass the bill with the major subject that involves the gaming media. People payed for the game, and if they want to review it, they have the right to do so, if they want to see the video it is fine, after all they can still have a choice to buy it or not. Keep the movies in the bill, but leave out the games. Why aren’t you guys going to do something about it? This problem isn’t that big of a deal, if it was, why didn’t you start early? There is however, one bigger problem that started this whole mess, and you guys never tried to fix that mess. You were all cowards, it was too big of a problem to handle, but This minor problem is nothing but a stain that you can handle. The big wreck was what made USA go down the hole. Please don’t pass this bill, or take off the text that has anything to do with a game being on the internet.

Kirk007 07/03/2011 4:52pm

Bullsh— they have not lost a cent to you tube and if they have it should not be a felony nor should it be a criminal matter at all.
If they have a problem with it it should be a civil case prison should be reserved for real criminals.
Anyone who supports a bill like this should be ashamed of themselves.

Coeco 07/04/2011 9:48pm

So you’re basically an aspiring teenager whom hope to replace an actual job with videos on you going through what thousands of other people have while recording it and smearing advertisements and deals with other companies in hopes of personal profit?

The world would be better with you in prison if you plan to make money off others inconvenience.

mlerch89 07/04/2011 2:45am

I just emailed her office and said “Good luck getting voted back in. S.978 just lost you your election.”

welchljamie 07/05/2011 3:29pm

This will block Let’s Plays. I love watching LPs. There are a decent handful of streamers who stream video games and have donation buttons going to charity websites, like TheSpeedGamers do. Are they felons now?

Most of the LP’s I watch, I do so for entertainment. A lot of the time I go and watch LP’s AFTER I have already bought and beaten the game. LPers are entertainers. Remember Mystery Science Theater 3000? It was entertainers commenting on bad movies. Sure, they got permission to do what they did, but video game companies don’t have the time or money to be approving every LP.

There is a WHOLE community in LPs. They are just entertaining. These people aren’t criminals.

Watching LP’s will never replace playing the actual game. And most of the time if I see an LP with a VERY good game, I will go check it out myself. And lets not forget that I almost ALWAYS watch reviews online before buying a new game. Reviews COULD be done without game footage, but that makes for a boring video.

ihavegas69 07/09/2011 11:18am

This bill is stupid,it’s trespassing over people’s right’s to use the internet
and that’s why this bill should not be allowed to pass. That’s what I think about this bill,and thank you for reading my comment.

zZJoennZz 07/13/2011 5:10am

I didn’t agree with this. If someone sees using copyrighted items, it’s called stealing but why we need this bill? this is non sense. I don’t like this bill, this is will control the world wide web gaming, anime, and song fan site. I don’t like this!! STOP THIS!

WilliamE 07/17/2011 1:11am

I am pretty sure the Copyright Laws say this (at least vaguely): A person is violating the copyright laws when that person is attempting to reduce sales and lower overall buisness.

When music and TV shows are put onto Youtube or even Facebook, they are increasing the populariy of the said item or product. Most people are not trying to Purposefully hinder buisness and most instead drive buisness.

If this law is passed, just wait and watch as Hollywood, TV shows, and other places of buisness go whining back to the Government about how sales Dropped. N-O – D-U-H.

ove 07/12/2011 1:45am

This is a not a good bill. I honestly think it is so extreme that it is drawing people to make compromises to allow a more toned down version to pass. This can not happen! Any real control given to policing media online will result in media owned internet! Are you worried about the government policing the internet? Any part of any bill that even remotely looks like this is giving the badge to a different company but with the same results. Donald Trump copyrighted a phrase, people! You want to see “this is copyrighted work” when you post his phrase online?
This bill is the first step to breaking down people to allow that to happen. These entities don’t think about right now in terms of passing this thing, they look at fifteen years down the road will they be able to work up to this and worse things. I’m sure they’ll take it if someone is dumb enough to give it to them, but we can’t be!!! Stop this bill and anything that resembles more media control of free distribution!!

Zknight7126 07/03/2011 8:57pm

@DownwithS978 the video game industry profits from LPers, why aren’t they opposing this?

Send Your Senator a Letter