S.978 - Commercial Felony Streaming Act

A bill to amend the criminal penalty provision for criminal infringement of a copyright, and for other purposes. view all titles (2)

• Official: A bill to amend the criminal penalty provision for criminal infringement of a copyright, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Commercial Felony Streaming Act as introduced.

athenaboggs 10/25/2011 7:56pm
in reply to briperez Oct 24, 2011 5:48pm

That’s a little.. off don’t you think? In reality it’s the music and video companies that ARE pushing the bill through the politicians.. Didn’t you click on the money trail tab at the top..? Look at the amounts of money received by the political supporters. That’s ALL from the organization supporters, which are listed below. So if you’d like to be “mad” at the politicians, I’d instead be mad about how they’re straying as far away as possible from representing the American people.

Kirk007 07/03/2011 4:54pm

I could not agree more with that statement.

Nymphonomicon 07/02/2011 6:13pm

Commercial gaming websites (like IGN) are exactly the type of websites that would profit from a bill like this. They receive ad revenue from traffic and have lost a considerable amount of said traffic ever since do-it-yourself game reviewers have emerged on the Internet. If this bill passes, it will wipeout all small-time game reviewers and leave the community with only corporate backed websites. I cannot think of a more transparent display of corporate influence at work.

Singtome 10/31/2011 4:49am

Since the greedy music business won’t ever listen to “heart” talk lets look at this financially. Lets say this bill was in place before Justin Beiber, there would be a lot of money lost to that because he didn’t just get famous from making his own songs, he got it from doing a cover. When he got famous all you corporate types got income. But if this bill was in place before Beiber than you would have gotten nothing. You are silencing those in America…wait a second what happened to free speech? Your not Americans, we are proud and free. You communists just want to put these laws up to prevent us from having a voice and to gain money cause you have no vision for tomorrow. whats next? Are you going to behead me for thinking differently? You have no right to be in this country so get out I hear China calling for you. As for the people leading this country you have enough on your plate trying to get this country back into its rightful place as number 1.

thunderchild 10/27/2011 9:09pm

I signed up to comment on just this bill, so how’s that for how much I hate it? YouTube is a US company, yet it has users from all over the world. How do you think they’ll feel when the US says they can’t post the video because of one of their laws even if the person is in Germany? I can see no good in this. Basically, this bill will turn the United States into an uncreative cesspool of poverty, destruction, and no innovation. I have seen so many extremely talented people make covers of songs or make fan films for Star Trek or Portal, and these will be shoved under the boot of the government!!! I’ll bet the sponsors have never even heard of Machinima, let alone VEVO or anything else. I have also seen cool music videos that use footage from copyrighted works, but only snippets, put to copyrighted songs. Is that wrong? This bill is another step towards communism, and anyone who knows anything can see what has happened to commie countries! (Russia, anyone?)

bones446 07/03/2011 2:09am

I made a mistake in a comment.

CaptainFreedom1776 07/02/2011 6:28pm

This is John D. Rockefeller IV’s S. 773 on steroids!

Ipsip 07/03/2011 12:57am

Will not" srry for grammar

bones446 07/03/2011 1:59am

I have seen people type: “Will gamers suffer from this,” and it is a yes or no question. You see if gamers like to produce feelings toward a game or what they want to advertise or show you. I support a lot of gamers such as YouTubers like: ZackScottGames, AshleyScottGames, Rozzgaming, CACox97gaming, WingsofRedemption, WoodyGamerTag, WhiteBoy7thst, FPSRussia, and of course myself: thevideogames4ever. There are many more who put up minecraft videos also. I believe that Notch may be against this, and if not then he should be. Thanks.

Ipsip 07/03/2011 12:56am

Ok gamers plz com down and watch and tell others about this video it tells how this bill will nit hurt gaming!!! http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=x11s8trkFzM

thunderchild 10/27/2011 8:42pm

This bill is just wrong. First of all, doesn’t the federal government have more pressing matters to deal with than this? They’re wasting their time and money for something that is already being addressed. I don’t approve of streaming movies and TV shows on YouTube, but video game footage, music videos, and anything else copyrighted? This is not right. The only industries being hurt are the film and TV, while the video game and music industries prosper. Someone sees a Portal 2 Let’s Play, they like it, they go out and buy the game. Bing! Valve just made $30. Someone watches a music video someone made with shots from Star Trek DS9 to the song “Europa” by Globus, they buy the song on iTunes and go out and buy the sixth season of DS9! Besides, YouTube already has an anti-piracy system, and companies can also ask them to take a video down. This is a classic example of the government poking its nose into other people’s business and hurting more than they’re helping!

perpl3x3d 10/27/2011 7:43am

Before you propose a bill to “attempt” to eliminate copyrighted works from being streamed by scaring individuals from uploading them, you should do your homework.

Instead of deterring people from continuing to stream, you are forcing them to become more anonymous about how they go about uploading. This will not affect the number of music/video available for streaming

So I essentially see the same thing happening with or without this bill being passed. YouTube takes down the copyrighted videos via copyright holder request. Just like they’ve been doing for years. Maybe 1 or 2 people will be the scapegoat, but this bill will NOT be effective in any manner.

Go home, do your homework, and come back with something reasonable, reliable, and non-intrusive of basic freedoms.

perpl3x3d 10/27/2011 7:29am

This bill is pointless. Even if it were to be passed, then instead of user accounts with multiple videos, you’ll have multiple anonymous accounts uploading and streaming just as if this bill wasn’t even passed. I’m sure YouTube isn’t too excited for this bill, it just means a hell of a lot more work for them.

Stop wasting your time, this bill is so corporate-minded it’s not even funny.

MBrykein 07/31/2011 7:58pm

You wouldn’t download a car.

satilisu 07/05/2011 3:05pm

So I don’t own what I buy?

IHATEBILLS978 07/02/2011 1:04am

I dont mean to sound like a dumbass or spell correctly im not the most literate but I go on YouTube all the time to watch walkthroughs of games and music videos. Not having that in my life, a minor set back but thats really depressing I understand the point but what the hell. So much good talent YouTube gone to waste cause of some stupid bill going a bit over board, and secondly I forget who you are but one of the first commentators saying how we should forget about this and worry about making our country less of a shit hole economy and other things in general, you sir are absolutely 100% correct at least some people look at more pressing matters

Curt93 07/02/2011 4:10am

Can i add a nice revision then? make it so that reviews and ideo game walkthorughs immune this this. This bill fails to protect those who make entertainment for the art, or even to protect those who because I need walkthroughs. I can try for years, not beat the game. as for reviews. i am going to be so mad if i wasted my hard earned money. and why is little jimmy going to lose a right to vote because, of smoking? casing cancer for people around them? no. for killing someone? taking a life? no. just helping people for free. i dont pay for the walkthorugh my friend i never have too. people do it for there own self being. noone makes money on this stuff. 80% is taken down anyway. besides i would rather have the portability of an ipod then a laptop and youtube, metacafe, those video sharing sites, the site will take it down. only on your ipod is it never gonna go away. i would rather support the artist of the music then steal there money. i’m human not a copyright paronoid person.

ToastyDaMosty 07/02/2011 10:24pm

Another case of people not knowing crap about the internet or gaming trying bash it just blunt and simple

Joshuarice 07/03/2011 12:33am

I will be writing to my State Senators about this with in the next few days or so. There is going to be websites that use Videos to make reviews, cheats, and anything else to help out the people for lets say video games. I strongly believe that Youtube.com, Ign, Machinma, and any other company that uses these features will crash and burn if this bill is passed. I help out with a site that needs some of these Videos to help the site run. I for one will oppose to this and will try to reach out to anyone about this and get them to do the same. Congress, expect ALOT of people going against this.

roywu1214 07/02/2011 12:00pm

What I meant in my fourth sentence is that if people who have AT&T contracts hears about this they will get piss and try to get out of that contract

bones446 07/03/2011 1:46am

I don’t support this bill, because it makes no sense to me. Why should it be illegal? It should either be:

A: Companies and directors decide what they want and besides the game companies and music videos get more views and more publicity.

Or B: We tally it up and personally I think this bill will not succeed, because of gamers and people who support gaming. Maybe even Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo. Gaming companies can take a big part in this bill. I also think there are many people who don’t want to see on YouTube: no content has been found for your results or something to that effect. Please reply if you agree to my suggestions, and theories. Thanks.

bones446 07/03/2011 2:07am

I have seen people say this in different words: "I support the bill, exceptfor the gaming part. I agree. Vevo may suffer though. No one should be putting up videos of movies or TV unless they are allowed to. Machinima may not be affected depending on allowance and copyright laws. Overall I agree with all except the gaming part.

iTzPatryk 07/04/2011 12:53am

If this passes im throwing my Xbox, HD PVR, Laptop and TV out the window and I will never buy another video game again.
Also what are you guys thinking every kid loves to get creative recording them selves play call of duty edit the clip and try to build a subscribe base.
But you gonna ruin little Timmy,John,Jimmy,Jimbo whatever his name is dream just becuae hollywood is getting mad.. AT&T i will make sure to tell the person why im canceling if this passes.

MopeyJoe 07/04/2011 11:29pm

Coeco, what you just said, was one of the dumbest arguments I’ve ever heard to anything.

I don’t plan on replacing a job with making videos and having advertisements all over my videos. I make videos because I can, and there is nothing stopping me as of this moment.

If I was truly planning on making money off of videos on the internet, I would drop out of high school, never think about going to college, and live with my mom until I’m 40. That is an awful way to live.

I have plans for the future, and making the videos that I do is just a side thing I do for fun, but the government likes to make money off of other people’s misfortune by making things illegal.

If you’re going to make a valid argument, try not to rip on others and have nothing to back that up. The government just wants to make things illegal so they can have more money from people who break incredibly strict laws, and you’re ok with that.

You’re a terrible person.
Also, what are you saying is inconvenient?

Arore 07/05/2011 12:39am

No and here is where you are wrong. Machinima, is a non-profit business used to make entertainment with video games and other forms of programs. As far is the businesses are concerned, they don’t care or Machinima wouldn’t participate in E3, receive games before they even release as a gift from the devs, and be bigger in popularity than your happy ass. And on another note, they do not infringe on copyrights since they are all made under the rights of Fair Use. Most of the members that are actually involved with Machinima and not just film jokeys are well in their 20’s and 30’s. And not only that, it is a way for young directors to get ideas across and show young talent among the film industry. You made a very ignorant and short thought statement and should withdraw it since it holds no substance among the people here.

s978opposer 07/05/2011 3:16am

I honestly wish I could sit these three senators down and give them a big lyrical slap in the face with logic. THIS. BILL. IS. HORRIBLE. Think of all of the fre advertising corporations get from videos watched on the internet. As an example, a small company has made no content. They make a video game and within a few months over 1,000,000 copies of this game are sold because of advertising. Minecraft. Don’t believe it? Go look. Think of all of the READICULOUS attempts to throw little kids into jail due to videos they put up or songs they sing on film. Throwing children in prison as would be done to adults. I’m going to lose my professionalism for a few sentences. WHAT KIND OF MORON DOES THAT. HOW IMMORAL DO YOU HAVE TO BE, OR HOW DECEIVED BY LIES, OR HOW BLIND, OR HOW EVIL, HATEFUL, SCEMING, OR BACKSTABBING must you be, to throw INNOCENT CHILDREN into JAIL for up to 5 YEARS because of a song being in their video. Senators, think about your sanity, and think about your choises.

Coeco 07/04/2011 9:44pm

Machinima isn’t a company. It’s a gathering-point of money-grubbing amateurs below the ages of 17 hoping to make themselves a profit by either plagarism or ad-revenue whoring.

CurtisNeeley 01/06/2012 7:30pm

Making downloading a felony will HALT illegal downloading after the first 10-20 unsuspecting people like you are sent to prison without internet for five years!

Punishing crimes worked to get rid of drugs, rape, and murder already and will end illegal downloading much quicker!

Coeco 07/04/2011 9:45pm

Machinima isn’t a company. It’s a gathering-point of money-grubbing amateurs below the ages of 17 hoping to make themselves a profit by either plagiarism or ad-revenue whoring.

MrJogan 07/02/2011 3:27pm

@KearThyn,

Your IP. It’s your internet address they can find anyone they want to.

Send Your Senator a Letter