S.978 - Commercial Felony Streaming Act

A bill to amend the criminal penalty provision for criminal infringement of a copyright, and for other purposes. view all titles (2)

• Official: A bill to amend the criminal penalty provision for criminal infringement of a copyright, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Commercial Felony Streaming Act as introduced.

Zophie 10/24/2011 9:46pm
in reply to MBrykein Jul 31, 2011 7:58pm

What are you talking about?

MicroBanana0228 08/06/2011 8:30pm

Everyone knows the music and movie industry is behind this. Who is running out government? Us, or the big companies?

Spam Comment

bones446 07/03/2011 2:08am

I have seen people say this in different words: "I support the bill, except for the gaming part. I agree. Vevo may suffer though. No one should be putting up videos of movies or TV unless they are allowed to. Machinima may not be affected depending on allowance and copyright laws. Overall I agree with all except the gaming part.

Masque 07/02/2011 8:26pm

Now, I have a question. I didn’t read through all the comments, so pardon me if I repeat.

Will gamers suffer for this?

KearThyn 07/02/2011 2:50pm

I think the Congress members in favor of this bill are forgetting something at the core of what makes the internet so great: animosity. How are they ever going to pin jail time and a fine on a person when all they have is ‘jakers1114ever’ to go on?

Aspharxeno1011 07/05/2011 2:44am

I disagree, the only good part is stopping piracy. There are way more bad parts than good. For example: Machinima will fall and people are forced to stop advertising games for companies! Please reread and think about what you have just read.

Spam Comment

shadowAaron34 07/02/2011 10:31pm

This bill is in direct violation to the freedom of speech, and as such, should be taken down immediatly. this bill will not only disallowe people to post vids of games, evrything that has a copyright will be affected. books, movies, art, even food! this bill will hinder instead of help

Spam Comment

Exbition 07/02/2011 11:55pm

Yes. Majorly.

throughthefire 07/03/2011 5:05pm

At the moment, I disagree with the bill in its’ current form. I believe that several changes could be made. For instance, instead of having to directly request permission from the publishers of said copyrighted works, the publishers should be able to decide whether or not to let people create videos containing their works, and should be able to define their own set of rules. I understand that it’s a bad thing that people are posting videos of entire episodes of TV shows and movies to Youtube, but the rules should be slackened a bit. I mean, five years in jail? I know that in most cases posting copyrighted material is bad, but in terms of games, it helps a lot. And as many people have said before, it would basically shut down most of the internet. Hopefully, this won’t end badly.

Ajscott123 11/16/2011 10:34am
in reply to greatumpire83 Jun 17, 2011 2:15pm

So how would it be fixed? Is it as simple as the bill being revised for more specificity, and if so, how should it be revised? Or is it too small to warrant revisions?

molonlabe 11/04/2011 7:56pm
in reply to ScottCorner Jun 16, 2011 5:33pm

Are you against radio stations too. What about libraries?

You seem to feel that listening to copyrighted songs on youtube is immoral. Yet you admitting doing it. Are you supporting this bill so that the government will save you from hypocrisy?

DuncanW02 10/31/2011 10:35pm
in reply to greatumpire83 Jun 17, 2011 2:26pm

I also think that the music industry has taken a wrong term, that all big label companies care about is profits, not quality. I think if an artist really cared about the music they were producing, they wouldn’t care about money. They would only care about getting their music spread far and wide.

Exbition 07/02/2011 11:54pm

I support the bill, except for the video game part. The intent of the bill is because companies are loosing money. But by making gaming videos it helps the developers and promotes their game. So it makes no sense for this law to support the video game part.

Now the other part(s) of the bill make sense. Please congress, change this.

DMSlayer 11/23/2011 12:33am

You have any idea how many people this will effect, and not meaning for direct pirating, Just circumstance issues…

It’s one thing if people are making revenue due to these infringements, However those laws are already in place. This Bill needs to be torn up and trashed.

Send Your Senator a Letter