H.R.140 - Birthright Citizenship Act of 2011

To amend section 301 of the Immigration and Nationality Act to clarify those classes of individuals born in the United States who are nationals and citizens of the United States at birth. view all titles (3)

• Official: To amend section 301 of the Immigration and Nationality Act to clarify those classes of individuals born in the United States who are nationals and citizens of the United States at birth. as introduced.
  • Popular: Birthright Citizenship Act of 2011 as introduced.
  • Short: Birthright Citizenship Act of 2011 as introduced.

ondroad 02/03/2011 3:59pm

Sounds like you need to leave first.

• cc0623 01/19/2011 11:49am

I hope the 14th gets Amended, it would send a very clear message to the illegal immigrants that the loophole they have wormed they way through has been closed and that the US means business. But, as long as Obama is in office I seriously doubt he will let this one pass as he is probably a product of this loophole. Another good law would be that non-citizens cannot attend school in the US, exempting lawful immigrants. I hope I see this Bill soon as it would save taxpayers an enormous amout of money.

• Kim929 01/19/2011 1:24pm

Ok…I’m confused. 1: A child born in the United States to undocumented parents does NOT mean the parents are automatically legal. That child cannot apply for family based Visas for his/her parents until he/she is of legal age. 2: Since we are assumming both parents of the U.S. Citizen child entered this country illegally, they are automatically barred from re-entry for at least 10 years. 3: To fakk2 – don’t you think if it were possible for them to come to this country legally they would? Yes, if you break the law by driving drunk, you MIGHT go to jail. You MIGHT pay a fine. But you are NOT deported to a country where you cannot provide for your family, live in fear of the drug wars or haven’t been to 20 years. You do your time, pay your fine, and get to go home to your family in the good ole USA. An undocumented person with NO CRIMINAL RECORD (immigration is administrative law not criminal law), is deported for a broken tail light. The punishment fits the crime?

• Spam Comment

ondroad 02/03/2011 4:00pm

To be here illegally makes you a criminal…that is what illegal means.

Mophatt 02/04/2011 12:45am

they aren’t deported because of the broken tail light, they are deported because they are being punished for breaking the immigration law. A drunk driver doesn’t get sent away to another country because they are a citizen. Illegal immigrants can get here legally, they just don’t want to take the time and effort to go through the right channels. I am going to start breaking into your house and taking what I want and when you tell me to leave, I am going to tell you I am staying because I can’t afford a house in the neighborhood where I come from. And since I am in your home illegally I am not going to pay rent and keep all my money for myself. Nothing you can do about it. I shouldn’t be sent back to my place just because you don’t want me there and I broke in illegally. Give me a chance, will you?!

• Kim929 01/19/2011 1:36pm

Modifying the 14th Amendment will NOT fix the immigration problem. The US has failed to keep up with the demands of the labor market or the global economy. And yes, we may be the only country in the world that gives citizenship at birth regardless of the status of the parents. However, we have always been the leader in human rights, democracy, and freedoms. We are a country that gives it’s people many, many freedoms; freedom of choice, freedom of speech, freedom of religion, just to mention a few. We give our people the power to vote regardless of race or gender! These are only a few of the many things that set us apart from other countries! And why everyone wants to come to America!

SusanBS 01/26/2011 3:04am

Yes, everyone wants to come to America. Yes, we are the leaders in human rights, demoracy, and freedoms. That is why we have laws for entering our great country legally and with accoutablility. As an American citizen I expect our immigration laws to be upheld so that we continue to be the number one country of choice. The requirements of entering our country and in becoming a citizen were put their for a reason – mainly to hold immigrants as accoutable and as responsible as the existing citizens of this great nation! How do you even get an accurate count of illegals – you can’t – they are not accountable? If a true count were possible I am sure the numbers would be astronomical. I am fully accountable and held responsiblie as a citizen but many want to overlook those that are not. Go figure.

• WalterBrownJr 01/20/2011 2:45am

Social programs are the problem, welfare benefits for the children of illegal immigrants cost America’s largest county more than $600 million last year, according to a local official keeping tabs on the cost.

Los Angeles County Supervisor Michael Antonovich released new statistics this week showing social spending for those families in his county rose to $53 million in November, putting the county government on track to spend more than $600 million on related costs for the year — up from $570 million in 2009.

Violating immigration laws is reason for deportation. This is a simple issue, imagine an American couple has a child while visiting Canada, is their child a Canadian? No, it is an American child. The parent’s nationality dictate the child’s nationality obviously. If the couple has mixed nationality the couple should have the choice (imo).

MichaelDSP 01/20/2011 5:32am

“This is a simple issue, imagine an American couple has a child while visiting Canada, is their child a Canadian? No, it is an American child. The parent’s nationality dictate the child’s nationality obviously. If the couple has mixed nationality the couple should have the choice (imo).”

That only because Canada doesn’t have birthright citizenship. You seem to be stating nationality as some sort of innate hereditary concept. Reverse that scenario, under birthright citizenship, If a Canadian family was visiting the US and had a child, then that child would hold dual citizenship in Canada and the US. It really is a simple issue of law not heritage.

cc0623 01/20/2011 8:03am

The law need to amended to reflect that birthright citizenship is no longer an obligatory. If a parents children are not citizens of the US then the child should not be either.

MichaelDSP 01/20/2011 11:28am

I agree. It really is as simple as that. Thanks for stating in a coherent manner. I try to debate people on other forums and all they seem to do is spout racial obscenities.

• Spam Comment

fakk2 01/21/2011 12:21pm

oakgall, maybe you can fill me in, but what makes this bill unconstitutional?

MichaelDSP 01/24/2011 6:02am

What makes it unconstitutional is that fact that Birthright citizenship is in the 14th amendment, therefore, the only way you can amend a constitutional amendment (or anything in the Constitution… period) is through an Amendment. A simple Bill cannot be used to amend the Constitution.

• Spam Comment

MichaelDSP 01/26/2011 6:53am

your welcome

ondroad 02/03/2011 4:03pm

See WalterBrown’s comment for real logic: Quoted again here for you.
    Founding father’s take on the issue: First you gain temporary residency from the state you reside in, then you can apply for US citizenship.

The fourteenth amendment did not change this, it requires that you be subject to the jurisdiction of the United States when born in order to be born as a citizen. This is clearly not the case for a child born to two foreign citizens temporarily or illegaly in the US, their child is a citizen of the parents nation(s)of origin.

United States Congress, “An act to establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization” (March 26, 1790): http://www.indiana.edu/~kdhist/H105-documents-web/week08/naturalization1790.html

• JackCox 01/25/2011 1:24am

Unconstitutional, unless you want to amend the constitution to do it, this is simply illegal.

ondroad 02/03/2011 4:03pm

• 4ster 01/25/2011 3:00pm

4ster All of you Remeber " If you stand for nothing ( ie…o it’s just a few
    illegals here and there, I’m TOO busy to deal with this ) THEN YOU
    FALL FOR ANYTHING ! BY 2014 IT WILL BE TOO LATE ! These illegals will
    flud in by the MILLIONS and you and I [ White ] will be forced to
    speak Mexican or be arrested !

• SusanBS 01/26/2011 12:34pm

I find it interesting that a post I made earlier about all of the illegals my husband and sons encounter on the job has disappeared? These illegals ARE taking jobs from the construction industry by the thousands everyday – especially in residential construction. Good jobs that my husband and sons not only need but want. They appear in truck loads and van loads. I took time in posting my first post that disappeared. Explaining just what was going on. Was I cencored? I wasn’t mean or even rude – just told the truth.

Mophatt 01/31/2011 6:05am

That is a sad truth. What is overlooked as well is that the companies doing the hiring of the illegal workers are gladly “giving” these jobs to the illegals to save some money and aren’t concerned with the Americans they are putting out of work.

• faheem2774 01/27/2011 4:18am

One of the many reasons for our current birthright citizenship law as discussed in several Federalist papers, is the American (unusual and sort of hypocritical considering others who could not) view of an egalitarian society.

Although illegal immigration is an issue, this bill does not solve the situation and only creates more division and political hackery. The illegal immigration discussion must involve employers who are frauding both the individuals and the governmen, and employees who are willing to work and contribute to our society.

If we just involve only one side, then we will fail again on this issue.

• Sxeptomaniac 01/27/2011 8:09am

Recent items I have seen indicate that the so called “anchor baby” problem this bill attempts to address is mostly a myth. Illegals don’t have babies here just for citizenship; they have babies here because this is where they live. I think it would be far more productive to begin addressing the reasons they come here in the first place.

• Spam Comment

Sxeptomaniac 01/31/2011 6:45am

Seen Mexico, been there, know a number of immigrants from there. Some come here to stay, and usually come here legally if that’s their ultimate goal, but many come here simply for the work. It’s pretty common for them to end up living here for quite a long time, but it’s not their ultimate goal, in my experience.

• Spam Comment

• todd_barton 01/28/2011 3:43am

The biggest problem I have with this bill is the line including a child born to an undocumented immigrant serving in the military. This might be a moot point, but how many undocumented immigrants do we have in the military? If the bill needs to be upgraded to an amendment then so be it. The entire world population is getting too large as it is. Why make it easier to spread here?

• Spam Comment