H.R.140 - Birthright Citizenship Act of 2011

To amend section 301 of the Immigration and Nationality Act to clarify those classes of individuals born in the United States who are nationals and citizens of the United States at birth. view all titles (3)

• Official: To amend section 301 of the Immigration and Nationality Act to clarify those classes of individuals born in the United States who are nationals and citizens of the United States at birth. as introduced.
  • Popular: Birthright Citizenship Act of 2011 as introduced.
  • Short: Birthright Citizenship Act of 2011 as introduced.

TXProgressive 01/10/2011 5:50am
+ 12

Negating the 14th Amendment is not the way to fix immigration.

fakk2 01/17/2011 3:00pm
in reply to TXProgressive Jan 10, 2011 5:50am

TXProgressive, This bill doesn’t exactly negate the 14th Amendment as much as it clarifies the amendment’s targets. No country in the world recognizes illegal immigrants as citizens at birth except for the US (or so I believe, I could be VERY wrong on that though). It doesn’t change the citizenship or nationality of “…any person born before the date of the enactment of this Act” (subsection (b)(2)), so it doesn’t create a burden for those living under the current laws. Also, to MatraciaP’s comment, this bill wouldn’t so much tear families apart as it would only say “No, you can’t abuse our laws by staying somewhere you have no legal right to be anyway”.

cc0623 01/19/2011 11:43am
in reply to GROM Jan 19, 2011 7:53am

The only reason you have this attitude is because you and your wife are already breaking the law. It is easier to look the other way if something will personally affect you, in this case it will definitely affect you. I personally find your attitude disgusting and selfish. It is people like you that do not deserve to be US Citizens as you have no respect for the laws of this country.

fakk2 01/17/2011 3:00pm

I can’t say I like the idea of mom’s and dad’s staying in a prison somewhere waiting to be arraigned while their newborn is waiting in a hospital and then travel across the border (north or south) in a van or plane, but then again, if someone is willing to break the law, then that’s a risk they take; same as me driving drunk hoping i don’t get pulled over, it’s a risk (no I don’t drink and drive btw). This bill, if it were to pass, would hopefully send a red flag to illegal immigrants saying this loophole has been closed and it’s better for you and your children if you take the legal approach. It’s slower and costlier, but it’s safer and gives them a better quality of life when they do gain legal status.

WalterBrownJr 01/19/2011 1:11am

This proposed legislation is Constitutional finding authority under “Article 1 Section 8, To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization”. Complies with the spirit of legislation passed in 1790’s by the founding fathers.

WalterBrownJr 01/20/2011 2:45am

Social programs are the problem, welfare benefits for the children of illegal immigrants cost America’s largest county more than $600 million last year, according to a local official keeping tabs on the cost.

Los Angeles County Supervisor Michael Antonovich released new statistics this week showing social spending for those families in his county rose to $53 million in November, putting the county government on track to spend more than $600 million on related costs for the year — up from $570 million in 2009.

Violating immigration laws is reason for deportation. This is a simple issue, imagine an American couple has a child while visiting Canada, is their child a Canadian? No, it is an American child. The parent’s nationality dictate the child’s nationality obviously. If the couple has mixed nationality the couple should have the choice (imo).

Mophatt 01/31/2011 5:37am
in reply to TXProgressive Jan 10, 2011 5:50am

I am sure, when this Amendment was written, they assumed the child was born to a “legal” parent. Think of this:

“I am an illegal woman who is pregnant. I break into your house when you aren’t looking and have my baby. Since he/she was born there, they are now partial owners to your home and can live there as your child without you being bias towards them at all. Now, you have to provide them with shelter, food and health care and if you don’t you will be punished by law because you are discriminating against them.”

This is what you are saying is ok and should be allowed to happen. I disagree.

MichaelDSP 01/24/2011 6:05am
in reply to WalterBrownJr Jan 19, 2011 1:11am

Since the 14th Amendment protects birthright citizenship, the only way to change it is through a Constitutional Amendment.

WalterBrownJr 01/19/2011 1:29am

Founding father’s take on the issue: First you gain temporary residency from the state you reside in, then you can apply for US citizenship.

The fourteenth amendment did not change this, it requires that you be subject to the jurisdiction of the United States when born in order to be born as a citizen. This is clearly not the case for a child born to two foreign citizens temporarily or illegaly in the US, their child is a citizen of the parents nation(s)of origin.

United States Congress, “An act to establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization” (March 26, 1790): http://www.indiana.edu/~kdhist/H105-documents-web/week08/naturalization1790.html

Mophatt 02/02/2011 2:47am
in reply to GROM Jan 19, 2011 7:53am

You are LEGAL. That is the whole point! So bite yourself. LEGAL! Nothing wrong with LEGAL! Illegal is where the problem is. I was born to a LEGAL citizen of the us, so I will go NOWHERE! No need to turn acceptable debate into personal attacks. If you can’t handle the conversation, don’t read the texts.

SusanBS 05/23/2011 10:12am
in reply to jarevalo May 02, 2011 6:20pm

The choices I make affect my family. I am responsible for how my actions affect my children. If I make good choices but try to carry them out illegally, my children will suffer. As a citizen I am held accountable and no one is going to look the other way if I don’t follow the law. Why should I look the other way for illegal parents whose choices to enter our country by breaking the rules comes back to bite their children?

I look at some of the immigrants households in my area – within the same household some adults are legal and others are not? Why? How can some follow the process with no problem and others not? Could it be there is some reason those in the household that are illegal would not pass our requirements?

cc0623 01/19/2011 11:49am

I hope the 14th gets Amended, it would send a very clear message to the illegal immigrants that the loophole they have wormed they way through has been closed and that the US means business. But, as long as Obama is in office I seriously doubt he will let this one pass as he is probably a product of this loophole. Another good law would be that non-citizens cannot attend school in the US, exempting lawful immigrants. I hope I see this Bill soon as it would save taxpayers an enormous amout of money.

GROM 01/19/2011 7:53am

So, if this passes, all of you should be sent back to Europe. The first few presidents were born on England-controlled land. I am a legal resident, soon to be a citizen, and my illegal immigrant wife will have US babies. So bite me, and deal with it.

Pathwerker 01/11/2011 9:44am
in reply to MatraciaP Jan 06, 2011 5:40pm

To what welfare thing are you referring exactly?

Spam Comment

SusanBS 01/26/2011 3:04am
in reply to Kim929 Jan 19, 2011 1:36pm

Yes, everyone wants to come to America. Yes, we are the leaders in human rights, demoracy, and freedoms. That is why we have laws for entering our great country legally and with accoutablility. As an American citizen I expect our immigration laws to be upheld so that we continue to be the number one country of choice. The requirements of entering our country and in becoming a citizen were put their for a reason – mainly to hold immigrants as accoutable and as responsible as the existing citizens of this great nation! How do you even get an accurate count of illegals – you can’t – they are not accountable? If a true count were possible I am sure the numbers would be astronomical. I am fully accountable and held responsiblie as a citizen but many want to overlook those that are not. Go figure.

fakk2 01/20/2011 7:48pm
in reply to Kim929 Jan 19, 2011 1:24pm

Kim929, to answer your question, it truly depends on the character of the immigrant. There’s plenty of illegal immigrants who do abide by the laws, and had the ability to immigrate legally, but they decided not to. There’s also those that didn’t. And you’re correct, parents get separated from their kids because the children are legal (currently) and the parents aren’t (currently). This bill would specify those children are not legal, thus they won’t get separated. They will not have been worse off than if they hadn’t broken the law to begin with. So, yes, the punishment does fit the crime.

cc0623 01/20/2011 8:03am
in reply to MichaelDSP Jan 20, 2011 5:32am

The law need to amended to reflect that birthright citizenship is no longer an obligatory. If a parents children are not citizens of the US then the child should not be either.

Oldentimes 01/16/2012 7:43pm
in reply to MatraciaP Jan 06, 2011 5:40pm

I guarantee you, if the U.S. deported all the illegals they caught, secured the border and eventually there were no more, you can bet your bottom dollar companies who exploit these people would find other ways to fill those positions. Such as lobbing congress for tax incentives to employ school kids, older people and the like. Rather than Uncle Sam sending out so many unemployment checks, give incentives to companies who push to and hire the unemployed. You can bet fast food, packing companies and produce growers can be very inventive if they had to.
It would be a win win for all, even the illegal, they then can go home and make their country better. We could employ many more citizens and save us a boat load of money.

This bill would not split families. It would keep more of them together as they could all be deported at the same time and thus stay together in their own country as they would have been in the first place.
Our laws don’t split families, those who break them do!

Mophatt 02/04/2011 12:45am
in reply to Kim929 Jan 19, 2011 1:24pm

they aren’t deported because of the broken tail light, they are deported because they are being punished for breaking the immigration law. A drunk driver doesn’t get sent away to another country because they are a citizen. Illegal immigrants can get here legally, they just don’t want to take the time and effort to go through the right channels. I am going to start breaking into your house and taking what I want and when you tell me to leave, I am going to tell you I am staying because I can’t afford a house in the neighborhood where I come from. And since I am in your home illegally I am not going to pay rent and keep all my money for myself. Nothing you can do about it. I shouldn’t be sent back to my place just because you don’t want me there and I broke in illegally. Give me a chance, will you?!

dtileston 02/09/2011 7:36am
in reply to TXProgressive Jan 10, 2011 5:50am

It’s not a question of negating the 14th amendment as much as giving it further meaning. The Citizenship Clause of the 14th amendment was meant to give freed slaves citizenship since the Dred Scott v Sanford supreme court case ruled that African Americans could not be citizens. It had no basis in immigration. Just a clarification.

Kim929 01/19/2011 1:36pm

Modifying the 14th Amendment will NOT fix the immigration problem. The US has failed to keep up with the demands of the labor market or the global economy. And yes, we may be the only country in the world that gives citizenship at birth regardless of the status of the parents. However, we have always been the leader in human rights, democracy, and freedoms. We are a country that gives it’s people many, many freedoms; freedom of choice, freedom of speech, freedom of religion, just to mention a few. We give our people the power to vote regardless of race or gender! These are only a few of the many things that set us apart from other countries! And why everyone wants to come to America!

Mophatt 09/06/2011 8:46am
in reply to zappy Jun 17, 2011 7:58pm

How is this not equal? It is the same thing on a personal scale. The illegals come in, illeagally, and have children that are being protected because they are “citizens”. Not right.

MatraciaP 01/06/2011 5:40pm

Man this one is pretty tough. As much as I see that we really need this, I’d hate to be the one tearing families apart, or saying no to people who just want a better life for their kid.
I don’t see a HUGE problem with the “job taking” aspect of immigration, since illegal or not they tend to take the jobs most people don’t want. I don’t want to come off as racist, but who do you often see working on farms, in factories, and other jobs that aren’t too pleasant? Yes, there are always the exceptions. My mother, a white, lower middle class woman, works in a factory. I can tell you that she and a majority of her co-workers (many are of course immigrants) agree with me on this point. When you were last out looking for a job where did you go? I bet that most checked local retail and food businesses for hiring positions. Almost everyone I know goes this route. Many probably would not think of other options unless they DESPERATELY needed the money.
The welfare thing, however, is a major concern.

zappy 06/17/2011 7:58pm
in reply to Mophatt Jan 31, 2011 5:37am

Your metaphor is a non-equivalency.

ondroad 02/03/2011 4:00pm
in reply to Kim929 Jan 19, 2011 1:24pm

To be here illegally makes you a criminal…that is what illegal means.

Spam Comment

JeannieD 02/03/2011 12:07pm

We should be passing the Dream Act and moving this nation forward with creativity and innovation using bright young minds from the American Latino Community instead of sniveling over who got here first and how they came.

Grow up Mr. King the American Dream can be dreamed by all.

ondroad 02/03/2011 3:53pm

Again, a no brainer, this should have been done 100 years ago! But then there are those who can’t see the forest for the trees. I know of many personally who use this big loophole to come into our country pregnant, have a baby on a tourist visa then have a little American citizen to pull strings with. SHUT THIS DOOR! I totally agree with this bill! We are not just talking about Mexicans – people worldwide know this loophole and use it to their advantage, including those who have ill-will toward America and her citizens – terrorists. Make this BILL HAPPEN!

Mophatt 09/06/2011 8:48am
in reply to jarevalo May 02, 2011 6:20pm

COME HERE LEGALLY!!! You won’t get sent back. I am going to break into your house and benifit from your hard work because my life sucks! you would like that. You would have me arrested and tell me to get a job. Why is it different when we are talking about the nation and not your “personal” property?