H.R.1439 - Business Activity Tax Simplification Act of 2011
To regulate certain State taxation of interstate commerce, and for other purposes. view all titles (3)
All Bill Titles
- Official: To regulate certain State taxation of interstate commerce, and for other purposes. as introduced.
- Short: Business Activity Tax Simplification Act of 2011 as introduced.
- Short: Business Activity Tax Simplification Act of 2011 as reported to house.
This Bill currently has no wiki content. If you would like to create a wiki entry for this bill, please Login, and then select the wiki tab to create it.
- Today: 3
- Past Seven Days: 7
- All-Time: 2,794
Official Summary10/21/2011--Reported to House without amendment. (This measure has not been amended since it was introduced. The summary has been expanded because action occurred on the measure.) Business Activity Tax Simplification Act of 2011 - Expands the prohibition against state taxation of interstat
Official Summary10/21/2011--Reported to House without amendment. (This measure has not been amended since it was introduced. The summary has been expanded because action occurred on the measure.) Business Activity Tax Simplification Act of 2011 - Expands the prohibition against state taxation of interstate commerce to include:
(1) taxation of out-of-state sales transactions involving all forms of property, including intangible personal property and services (currently, only sales of tangible personal property are protected); and
(2) all other business activity taxes in addition to net income taxes. Exempts from state taxation persons who enter a state merely to furnish information to customers and affiliates, to cover news or other events, or to gather information in the state. Sets forth jurisdictional standards for states in imposing, assessing, or collecting a net income tax or other business activity tax on interstate activities. Defines "physical presence in a state" as:
(1) being an individual physically in a state or assigning one or more employees to be in a state,
(2) using the services of an agent to establish or maintain the market in a state, and
(3) leasing or owning tangible personal or real property in a state (excluding the leasing or licensing of computer software). Excludes from the definition of "physical presence" presence in a state for less than 15 days in a taxable year or presence in a state to conduct limited or transient business activity. Provides that this Act shall not be construed to modify or affect any state business activity tax on a partnership, an S corporation or limited liability company, or a trust or estate that has a physical presence in the state or to supersede the authority of a state to enact a law or bring a law enforcement action against persons or entities engaged in illegal activity or sham transactions. Sets forth a rule for computing the net income tax or other business activity tax liability of an affiliated group. Makes this Act applicable to taxable periods beginning on or after January 1, 2012.
...Read the Rest
Organizations Supporting H.R.1439
- Woman Impacting Public Policy
- Abercrombie & Fitch Co.
- ADCO Products, Inc.
- National Marine Manufacturer's Association
- American Trucking Association
- Adhesive and Sealant Council
- ...and 167 more. See all.
Organizations Opposing H.R.1439
- Citizens for Tax Justice
- American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees