H.R.17 - Citizens' Self-Defense Act of 2009

To protect the right to obtain firearms for security, and to use firearms in defense of self, family, or home, and to provide for the enforcement of such right. view all titles (2)

• Short: Citizens' Self-Defense Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Official: To protect the right to obtain firearms for security, and to use firearms in defense of self, family, or home, and to provide for the enforcement of such right. as introduced.

falcon
    I have to agree with this bill. So far I have herd from the press that obama is trying to take away any knife that is over 41/2 inch’s long. Now he wants to take away any hand gun or rifle with a clip, and if you don’t comply, it’s a jail sentence of 5 yrs. The only 2 problems with this is, 1-not enough prisons, 2-the criminals would not cooperate. The other thing is they (police or army or who knows) can come in your house and inspect it for where you keep your guns.

• Ted1963 10/05/2009 8:56am

If our elected officials think it is best to not have the protection of weapons, let them try it out for a year or so first.

• tonysijr 10/05/2009 12:18pm

This bill does add a layer of protection for Americans to defend themselves in the event someone tries to do another harm. I only worry about how the courts will see this bill. My idea of violent harm may be different from a judge and jury’s.

• ProtoProtoss 10/16/2009 9:55pm

ProtoProtoss (1 of 2)
    In reference to a comment I read minutes ago, I must completely concur. What congress fails to realize is that no LAW nor BILL will ever apply to criminals. A sign being posted saying “no guns allowed” is simply saying, hey if your a criminal come on in with a gun because nobody inside is allowed to defend themselves. Often I wonder if those passing the bills are planning mischievous deeds in which they are passing this craziness in order to prepare for what they plan to do. It’s ridiculous.

There IS no longer a Constitution nor a Bill of Rights nor anything else that was supposed to remain unchanged. As time progresses, every single right we’ve ever been falsely led to believe we have will eventually be stripped away.

• ProtoProtoss 10/16/2009 9:56pm

ProtoProtoss (2 of 2)
    What happens if we all just say NO. I mean, we outnumber the gov. by far… If they strip us of our defenses then they strip us of our alleged freedom as well as our ABILITY to defend those alleges. People need to wake up and all stand up instead of just letting things go as they may.

We, the people, are like a hand… separated we are just fingers and can individually only do so much. But together… we form a helluva fist and can strike a devastating blow.

• garykennedy 10/24/2009 8:59am

This bill is so heavily sopported that it will die because of no action. The Dem’s will not bring it to the floor!!!!!!!!!

• Ebin 10/27/2009 6:19am

So is this like what we have in Florida in terms of “Self-Defense”? Took me a few moments to realize that this bill doesn’t necessarily apply to me, but I can see why the rest of the states would want this. I say that our great republic should vote this is, as in the constitution we have the right to arm bears and carry guns. What’s the point when you cannot use them.

• tonysijr 11/02/2009 5:43pm

This bill does not fit the nation we live in now and that’s why it will never see the light of day. Our society is so focused on the idea of being politically correct and everyone holding hands. This bill would destroy the perfect America we have made. To think people would walk around with guns for protection is just not right. “I’m being sarcastic!”

• LastStand300 11/06/2009 4:26am

Once we lose the right to bear arms we are slaves to the government. Hitler banned personal ownership of guns and look what he did. Our president Barack “hussien” Obama is trying very hard to fill the shoes of Hitler and other dictators. It is up to us to keep our firearms and if that requires us to fight for the right then we should. Many men and women since the founding fathers have died for us to keep this right, it may be getting time for us to sacrifice in the same way so that our kids will have a country to call home in the near future.

• beaulw69 11/10/2009 4:05am

This to me, seems to be about as useful as hr 45. Another useless bill that will either impede in the people’s freedoms, or support those that would cause harm. Why do we need this bill? Apparently the hr 45 and hr 17 authors must be related. They were lying around smoking pot then decided to write something stupid. (Stupid-the act, or lack of, doing something one knows is necessary/unnecessary). This bill is unncessary.

• AlleeA 11/17/2009 9:29pm

I just have to say the very idea that this bill is necessary is absurd. We have already had the can-or-can’t-Americans-own-guns-debate…in case you haven’t read a history book recently it happened over 230 years ago! And the answer was so definitely in favor of our right to bear arms that it was listed within the Constitution itself! (Albeit the bill of rights, but as they were amendments are now considered equal to the constitution.) And in case we forgot, the Constitution is the Supreme Law of the Land.
    This bill is a sham. It’s an unnecessary waste of tax-payers money. Let the progressive/mao-loving dems try and make it illegal to own a gun. I’ll take mine right up to their front door & dare them to arrest me for it. Know your rights Americans. They are attempting again to outstep their powers…it’s been happening since the early 20th century and it’s time to put a halt to their disgusting growth of federal government powers. They have NO RIGHT to do half the things they’re doing!

• DRSparktrician 12/07/2009 5:12pm

A vote in the affirmative for this bill is a vote for those that contribute to society.

A vote in the opposition of this bill is a vote for those that would rape, steal and otherwise degrade our society.

Do you want your constituency to support you or would you like them to rape pillige and plunder all that you and your children have worked for?

• cavtrooper 12/16/2009 6:29pm

I do not support this bill as we should not have to re-define a right given by god and affirmed by our constitution. Its a slippery slope….

• grant3719 12/18/2009 10:45am

What is the purpose of the second amendment?
    It is to provide the American citizens the ability to be the final check and balance in our government.
    To give us the ability to defend ourselves against all enemies both foreign and domestic. That is, to give us the ability to overthrow, to remove from office the very government, the politicians that we have elected to govern us. This law will help remove our ability to say with force, “The power to govern is granted only by those who are governed”. This law would restrict that right to just security, and to use firearms in defense of self, family, or home. The intent of this law stops our ability to forcibly defend the constitution from those that make laws that destroy the rights provided under it.
    Yes, I am talking about our ability to forcibly revolt. Our ancestors saw the need, revolted, and then gave us that very right.
    We are a Republic that can be “legislated” into socialism or worst.

• Anonymous 01/18/2010 5:48am

• Anonymous 01/18/2010 7:33am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et042-Ii__U……………………..its not broke…..SUIT BOYS WE THE PEOPLE WILL NOT LIVE UNDER TRYANNY……REVERSE THE PATRIOT ACT NOW.!!!!!!!…….CITIZEN ARREST ALL ATF THAT SHOW UP TO TAKE GUNS AWAY…NO GUNS NO FREEDOM………NO ON EVERYTHING THIS CRIMINAL GOVERMENT IS UP TO……..GEORGE WASHINGTON SAID I WOULD RATHER SEE MY COUNTRY BATHED IN BLOOD THAN TO LIVE UNDER TRYANNY PERIOD….!!!!!!!!!…SO WATCH WHAT YOU ARE VOTEING FOR SUIT BOY………

• Anonymous 01/19/2010 7:26am

• Anonymous 01/22/2010 8:32am

• Anonymous 01/23/2010 6:01am

• Anonymous 01/24/2010 10:37am

• Anonymous 02/04/2010 8:51am

• Anonymous 02/06/2010 4:16am

• dtkr 02/15/2010 1:20pm

This is more bs, I already have this “RIGHT”. More gov’t trying to ALLOW me the privledge of defending my LIFE,LIBERTY and PROPERTY already guaranteed by my creator God Almighty!!!

• Anonymous 02/16/2010 5:07am

• Anonymous 02/21/2010 12:58pm

HOMELAND SECERITY IS TO SUPRESS THE AMERCIAN PEOPLE SO THE FORGIEN BANKS CAN ROBB US PERIOD……………………….TRYANNY WILL NOT STAND IN THE USA SUIT BOYS

Aviator1812 05/11/2010 12:07pm

I admire your powers of observation.. Don’t worry yourself.. We the people are greater than ever.. we cannot doubt ourselves over little people that are nothing compared to the people. I will not stand for tryanny. I agree with abolishing the Department of Homeland Security and FEMA or needs to be regulated by the people.

• ryandsmith 03/05/2010 7:12am

It is shame that such a bill even has to be put forth in Congress. Read the constitution and the issue of bearing arms will be settled. Sadly, there are those in the government who have a big problem with citizens having firearms.

• polcat 04/12/2010 9:14am

I am always weary of a Federal bill that establishes rights already afforded in our Constitution. The broader Second Amendment right is greater protection to citizenry than a detailed bill that can lead to legal precedent that then abridges the broader granted rights that our forefathers had the wisdom to impart. I am not for any bill that re-defines the Constitutional rights we are already accorded and legally protected by, as well as un-necessary legislation that clearly seeks to sway election votes.

• ndavis 04/28/2010 5:22am

As I agree that we should all have the right to own and use a firearm… this is not a Federal Issue… it should be left up to the individual States.

• ak_mcdermotts 04/29/2010 11:41pm

I agree with many of the comments listed here; why is this even necessary when the constitution already guarantees this right? It is unnecessary legislation that will intrude in yet another facet of our lives. I do not need permission to carry or protect my family, as it is an individual right guaranteed to me (and you) through the second amendment.