H.R.2 - Children's Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act of 2009

To amend title XXI of the Social Security Act to extend and improve the Children's Health Insurance Program, and for other purposes. view all titles (6)

• Official: To amend title XXI of the Social Security Act to extend and improve the Children's Health Insurance Program, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Children's Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Children's Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Children's Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Short: Children's Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act of 2009 as passed senate.
  • Short: Children's Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act of 2009 as enacted.

• MarkEMedlin 01/14/2009 3:56pm

I cannot endorse expansion of any entitlement programs, no matter how noble, until we solve the funding problems with the entitlement programs that are currently in place. As a father of three I believe that we have to take responsibility for these promises that we’ve made without saddling our children with the burden.

The SCHIP program should cover only poverty level children. Under no circumstances should this program cover adults. I believe that as it’s written some states are able to use those funds to cover adults. If we must provide adult coverage in the same manor then there should be a bill specifically designed to cover poverty level adults.

Most importantly, I cannot endorse sin taxes. I do not smoke. I never have smoked. I hope my children do not smoke. With that said, the government has no right to steer my children’s behaviors through taxation. If the government doesn’t want my children to smoke then Congress should pass laws banning smoking altogether.

My children love candy canes. Refined sugar is horrible for a child. It can lead to childhood obesity. Should we add a $.61 tax to all candy canes? Where do you draw the line?

• Moderated Comment

Anonymous 02/05/2009 12:36pm

Anonymous…yep…in the brain too!

Anonymous 02/05/2009 12:41pm

Mark,
    I understand the SCHIP program was even going as far as providing for incomes up & over 60K…and now it’s up to 80K.

We also (a family of 7) cannot endorse entitlement programs, not the way THIS current administration is moving in with socialism…it’s blatantly unconstitutional.

I don’t smoke either…but, I don’t want government in every aspect of our lives…And, I’m not for refined sugar either, but these things are not for government regulation…we need our liberties. And, once they get further into the door…we’re through as a free nation.

• linus 01/15/2009 3:14am

I agree with you, MarEMedlin! I don’t understand why congress wants to tax cigarettes especially since the number of smokers are decreasing. I would support this bill if it taxed fast-food markets, an increasing market that is lightly taxed.

suzieqs 01/28/2010 11:00pm

They can tax cigaretts all they want, we’ll just go to smoking cigars

• amebenit 01/27/2009 2:56pm

MarkEMedlin, I agree with much that you say. However, do you not find it ludicrous that with a decreasing number of smokers (for health reasons) and the imposition of bans on smoking in public places, (for health reasons) that the funding for this program comes from a tax on cigarettes. Of course, logic has escaped the general public and what took it’s place… is ludicrous.

Additionally, children are the most susceptible to those kinds of diseases that could involve some kind of pandemic event. I would prefer children to be able to be cared for who’s parents cannot afford medical insurance/care because of their low incomes. Illegal immigrant or not. It has to do with our safety, to care for those who cannot care for themselves. Exclusion of immigrants from the program will not insure that the general population will be protected from communicable disease. Ya think?

I am somewhat familiar with socialized medicine in Europe. They tax the gas, the food, everything… including income. On average over 55% of income goes out in some kind of tax. And, they do not tell you how much of what you are paying is the tax. I buy a pack of cigs… and I can feel good that maybe some kid might get help because I am killing myself. It’s a joke. But seriously, where the money comes from doesn’t matter as much as that there is a program for the health care of poor children.

• miscdebris 01/28/2009 4:07am

MarkEMedlin, when certain products have an overall negative impact on society, I think a tax is fair and just. There are a lot of hidden costs to being a smoker that rarely become evident until years have gone by. The same can be said of diets high in fat and sugar. Transferring these costs into the present is a way of guarding ourselves against such future impacts.

• Anonymous 01/29/2009 12:52pm

I would support a sin tax candy canes. >_>

• donopolis 01/30/2009 5:25am

or a candy tax on sin-canes

• Anonymous 02/02/2009 4:57pm

Congratulations democrats for taxing the poor with this regressive tax… Anyway, since going into debt isn’t a big deal, do not worry that revenue generated from this tax inevitably will not cover the expenses.

• mitchpamf 02/08/2009 9:50am

Trojan Horse bill. Of couse noone wants to be responsible for a child not getting health-care. So the propogandist lie continues: if you are opposed to SCHIPS, you must therefore hate children. An the Cause-For-Socialized-Medicine (and every other industry they can get their hands on) marches forward. This SCHIPS revision adds yet another layer of government interference with what Obama claims is responsible for the global financial crisis: the free markets. America has been the most benevolent country on the globe, ever. So, why has that been possible? Because we have enjoyed the prosperity that only free markets can create.

Celebrate Abe’s birthday by remembering some of his values:
    “Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves; and, under a just God, can not long retain it.” -Abraham Lincoln

“Leave nothing for tomorrow which can be done today.” -Abraham Lincoln

“Property is the fruit of labor…property is desirable…is a positive good in the world. That some should be rich shows that others may become rich, and hence is just encouragement to industry and enterprise. Let not him who is houseless pull down the house of another; but let him labor diligently and build one for himself, thus by example assuring that his own shall be safe from violence when built.” -Abraham Lincoln

• shooter 02/10/2009 12:25pm

Does this law cover illegal immigrants?

• Anonymous 02/16/2009 5:08am

Does anyone know what the 61 cents is? Will this be a 61 cent tax per dollar or what? I think this tax applies to all tobacco products such as Prince Albert pipe and cigarette tobacco, rolling papers, pipes, and so on.

Mike

• kgotjesus2001 02/17/2009 4:50am

THIS BILL GIVES ILLEGALS FREE HEALTH CARE!!!! WAKE UP AND READ THE FINE PRINT!!!!!

suzieqs 01/28/2010 10:59pm

Show me exactly where in the Bill it gives illegals free health care, you can retrive a perma link from the bill that’s available here and post it here so back up your statement, I’m sick and tired of seeing comments like this without facts to back it up.

• melzellers 03/19/2009 4:47pm

I sure wish this hadn’t passed.

• rhonda 04/02/2009 6:09am

Oh wonderful! MY Government wants to Give Health Care to illegal Immigrants! I don’t have health care because I can’t find a decent job!
    Twelve million illegal immigrants in my country and they just want more and more. How the hell did illegals get more rights and benefits than me?
    Let Mexico and Iran and Hungary and other Nations give their people what they wish! Give me the rights and benefits MY Country deems me worthy of!

• ronodie 04/18/2009 10:50am

And the money is coming out the social security funds which is in trouble already. Makes you wonder if the sin tax isn’t enough where the funds will come from. Being retired after working 40+ hours a week for 50 years, giving my social security money to illegal immigrants does not make for a happy camper!!!!

• juliab123 06/12/2009 7:55am

stop spending we cannot afford it