H.R.2709 - Reuniting Families Act

To amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to promote family unity, and for other purposes. view all titles (5)

• Official: To amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to promote family unity, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Reuniting Families Act as introduced.
  • Short: Reuniting Families Act as introduced.
  • Short: Filipino Veterans Family Reunification Act as introduced.
  • Short: Uniting American Families Act of 2009 as introduced.

• kmapte 06/08/2009 10:59am

I support this because due to delay in the uscis processing ( and not for lack of demand for visa) many visas have been lost which is causing the current backlog.
    To reach the american dream you need to be permanant resident and not temporary worker to take some big steps. I am waiting for my green card since 2004

• kmapte 06/08/2009 11:02am

I want to put a perspective on this issue. Consider the visa number as your monthly cell minutes. If you don’t use you lose them. But if you could not use it due to the cell network problem or really slow procesing you are able to use only 10% of your minutes would the lose your minutes be fair. Wouldn’t a lawsuite on the cell company would make them give those minutes? then why should these visas be any different.

• heliuma 06/10/2009 9:13am

It hurts when you wait for your beloved to join you and there is no sign this to be happening soon. They are processing cases for 2005 now and I’m sure there are no more ‘numbers’ available so nothing is really happening. And we are waiting :’(

• emaan 06/12/2009 5:11am

Simply this should have been the rule .. It is a shame that a green card holder has to be separated from their spouses for processing of the I 130 form!! and waiting for about 5 years .. this is really destroying families ..
    on the other hand all other temporary workers like H1B are able to bring their spouses without any delay ..
    sometimes I think is it a choice between living here or being married!!! it is really painful.

• Americafirst 06/13/2009 2:24pm

Screw foreign familys. Support AMERICIAN familys.
    Congress wastes there time with legislation like this while
    20 million felons are out there stealing Americian jobs.

jefffed 06/18/2009 12:42pm

This bill is about bringing spouses of US Citizens and LEGAL residents to the US. It has nothing to do with ILLEGALS.

• pollinh1 06/23/2009 9:18pm

What kind of law is this – work like a citizen, I pay taxes, but I cannot bring my wife? I like to buld a life – I build jobs so now you telling me I can not bring my wife – why ?
    I am not illegal i follow the law – We want to live together. It’s the most basic human possibility.” If we have a child my wife have to leave the USA – what kind human law is this ?? in what kind of century we are living? 1940? – this Disrespect Of Human Rights and greed card holder sitting in Bus in the back !

• bluegarcia 07/17/2009 10:51am

www.onemag.org/julio.gif Please read and this will certainly let you see the HUMAN side of Immigration.

cdw763 09/29/2009 2:19pm

This is a picture of a man in a hoodie. There is no caption or story— it has nothing to do with this bill.

• pmp2009 09/29/2009 6:56am

The Decades old INA should be changed to allow more flexibility for people to immigrate to the US. This will also allow people to travel at their will to their native countries. Travelling with Visa is always problematic

• andytoh 04/28/2010 12:27pm

Living in New York City, I hear many stories of people, friends you have over for dinner,the corner store helper tell you about missing their families back home because of delays in processing. I have a close friend who is a legal permanent resident contributing to this economy, and who does social work as well, let’s call her Julia. She has been married to her husband Pete, for 8 years now. They have been meeting in Canada for years now just to spend time together. They did not choose to have children because the immigration issue is keeping them apart.

Julia now 45, past the safe age of conception and they’re kept apart due to a minor technical violation of his immigration status (he overstayed, but did not otherwise break the law, nor work illegally). Is it fair that Julia and Pete have to suffer the consequences of a childless later part of their lives because of a technicality? These are good hearted, hardworking people who care for people in their community.

• ramanjr 06/20/2010 5:36pm

Although I have not read this bill in its entirety I do still support at least the parts that I did read which pertain to me. My finance’ and I have been together for three years now. We have put off our wedding until 2012 in hopes that by then the laws will change to allow me to sponsor him on a finance’ visa. I am happy to finally see a promising immigration bill offer something for the LGBT community. I hope that when this bill comes to vote that it passes.

I have asked my friends and family to voice their opinions to their local political figures in hopes to get this bill to the presidents desk. I know there are a lot of issues being worked this year, but it is my sincere hope that this one gets the attention it deserves.