H.R.2749 - Food Safety Enhancement Act

To amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to improve the safety of food in the global market, and for other purposes. view all titles (5)

• Official: To amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to improve the safety of food in the global market, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Food Safety Enhancement Act as introduced.
  • Short: Food Safety Enhancement Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Food Safety Enhancement Act of 2009 as reported to house.
  • Short: Food Safety Enhancement Act of 2009 as passed house.

TinaMarieatOpenCongress 09/04/2010 9:46am
in reply to delio302003 Jun 17, 2009 9:27am

Well… unfortunately we will continue to have all kinds of unreasonable bills passing under our noses and getting approved if the people don’t start to educate themselves as necessary. It’s up to us as a nation to show others what they can’t see. If we have the insight and know what to do and how to do it, it is our responsibility to pass that knowledge on to others that do not. The means are out their for us to communicate with each other so lets make the best of it and provide to others what they may not know bringing them out of the darkness and into the light. Only then will this nation start to reap extraordinay benefits for this land and all people. When everyone is on the same page.

OrBenn 08/25/2010 7:53am
in reply to rj32 Sep 21, 2009 4:24pm

rj32 you’ve got it all wrong. At least if congress were specific in the bill we’d know what we’re getting. Without specifics we’re at the mercy of an unelected organization’s decisions.

That said, I want NEITHER legislators NOR bureaucrats involved in my food. This legislation won’t make food safer—food production standards are already above what the FDA would impose—but it WILL dramatically increase the cost of food. The incidence of disease from food has been steadily going DOWN for decades WITHOUT this costly legislation, and I don’t want the price of a hamburger to jump to $15.

informationage 02/14/2010 2:19pm
in reply to amandacaudill Jun 29, 2009 2:13pm

The FDA could do good and has in the past. Since creation, the Regulatory Agency has seen a consistent decline in funding and staff. Because of the Nature of the Agency, inbreeding with Industry does occur. This does not necessarily imply paranoid schemes to lower the quality of US Food and Drugs. If anything, the FDA has been strangled by advocates of less Gov’t Reg in favor of Script Makers and Corporate Farms, which is by far the status quo in America right now. Most Farmers are already “factory” as they are contracted by Parent Companies that purchase the local product exclusively and provide the Credit. This is akin to Indentured Servitude or Modern Feudalism.

Delta 01/15/2010 9:24pm

THIS BILL DOES NOT APPLY TO REAL FARMS!!! Read section 5.d.!!!

Right now the large beef packers are above the law. They are crushing small beef packers, killing and maiming their workers, and poisoning tens of thousands of Americans a year just so management can live in MacMansions.

One purpose of government is to protect citizens. If a cult of crazy people was going around stabbing tens of thousands of Americans a year would you think it a threat to civil liberties if the police stopped them? No. If the mob was systematically breaking the legs of tens of thousands of Americans would you think it a threat to our civil liberties if the FBI stopped them? No.

Right now the USFDA agents are demoralized because the can’t stop the beef packers from producing infected beef.

Go to Google news and search for “e coli outbreak”. Read “Fast Food Nation”. Read about Barbara Kowalcyk’s son who was murdered by the beef packing companies.

I am outraged and I support this bill.

freedomfemme 12/31/2009 10:52am
in reply to nemoest Oct 21, 2009 5:14am

Packing and holding is one thing, selling is another.

freedomfemme 12/31/2009 10:50am

Say NO to HR 2749. This is about CONTROL, not PROTECTION!

asteffen 12/07/2009 4:39pm
in reply to kevinmcc Jul 27, 2009 10:55am

Where did you find “warrantless” in this bill? I did a text search of this entire bill and did not find this word.

asteffen 12/07/2009 4:36pm
in reply to Browning Jun 22, 2009 7:26pm

Where in this bill did you find “warrantless searches of business records” mentioned? I did a word search of the entire bill text and could not find “warrentless” mentioned.

watcher77 11/06/2009 2:03pm

This Bill is a pre-cursor, an introduction to Codex Alimentarious.
Codex Alimentarious is set for implementation on Dec. 31, 2009.

Yes, THIS YEAR!

Basically, any vitmin/mineral will be classified as TOXIC. Ergo, all foods containing toxins will disappear, being unfit for consumption. Any mineral not listed in Codex will be classified as toxic also.

Google “CODEX ALIMENTARIOUS” to find out more.

FIGHT HR 2749 & CODEX ALIMENTARIOUS!!

nemoest 10/21/2009 5:14am
in reply to cassidy22 Oct 20, 2009 7:48am

Maybe I’m reading the bill incorrectly, but I believe your farm would be exempt from the registration fee.

Section 101 says —
1) The term facility “does not include farms”
2) A farm includes “operation that packs or holds food, provided that all food used in such activities is grown, raised, or consumed on such farm or another farm under the same ownership”

Which sounds like your situation.

The changes to registration and fees appear to only impact facilities. Since you appear to be exempt, I don’t see why this is an issue.

If I am wrong, please let me know.

Thanks.

cassidy22 10/20/2009 7:48am

This is very scary. I grow and sell food on a small farm in my town. We process chickens and turkeys on our farm. We sell maybe 200 chickens per year, adn 30 turkeys. This bill would require a $500 per year registration fee for us, plus WEEKLY INSPECTIONS. WEEKLY! We process birds maybe 4 times a year. We also raise lamb (processed off site) and veggies and fruit on small acreage. We sell at farmer’s markets and on site. People love visiting our farm.

This bill will create so much bureacratic paperwork that we won’t be able to farm, we’ll spend all our time writing control plans and tracking paperwork. For 200 chickens and 30 turkeys?

This is really scary, impractical, and WILL kill small farms. It’s very disappointing. What I do is exactly how I want to eat my food – NO additives, NO preservatives, NO hormones, medicines, fertilizers, pesticides, or any of that junk. I grow my food RIGHT, and because I am NOT big business, the govt wants to shut me down. SAD

watcher77 10/07/2009 10:04am
in reply to observateur Jun 18, 2009 11:57am

…you forgot “and for other purposes”!

watcher77 10/07/2009 10:00am

This Bill is a pre-cursor, an introduction to Codex Alimentarious.
Read this link to find a very good analysis of HR 2749.

Codex Alimentarious is implemented on Dec. 31, 2009. Yes, THIS YEAR!
Google “CODEX ALIMENTARIOUS” to find out more.

FIGHT HR 2749 & CODEX ALIMENTARIOUS!!

koukos2plos 09/25/2009 12:41am
in reply to delio302003 Jun 17, 2009 9:27am

I totally agree.What kind of society we want to have?

rj32 09/21/2009 4:24pm
in reply to observateur Jun 18, 2009 11:57am

and you would rather have the people in congress decide? seriously, I think it’s better left to people with professional careers in the field, not career politicians being bought and sold each election cycle. This technique also enables the agency to keep up with evolving standards instead of all of us collectively praying that our hamburger isn’t the one with the new deadly virus from mexico/china.

EvelynB 09/17/2009 1:45pm

I have a petition against this bill that will be sent to Washington. Please sign, add your comments as you have here,and email the petition to as many others as possible to also sign and comment. Please make sure to add comments because sometimes in DC they count all those without comments as one signature instead of individual signatures. This will take you directly to the petition.
On that site (Care2, Petition Site) if you go to my “Profile” you will find two(2) other petitions. One against HR875 similar to this HR2749. If you’ve already signed thank you. If you haven’t yet PLEASE go to the site, stand up for our freedoms, sign and pass it on.

deborahg6 09/16/2009 2:43pm

Documentary on Monsanto and Genetically Modified Foods.

cjrusko 09/05/2009 10:36am

How incredibly ludicrous. What ever happened to respecting the traditional local farming and produce communities in America? Maybe they should instead focus on the FDA’s current incompetence when it comes to regulating big food producers instead of broadening its reach and power.

This bill will hurt the rural hardworking families that contribute to their local communities while not saving a damn life. It also broadens the power of the inefficient regulatory state and uses vague language with holes left to be filled by FDA administrative decisions, i.e whatever they say, to certain points, will go.

mazdastuff 08/10/2009 1:27pm

This is completely insidious. How about we perform Warrant-less searches against members of Congress. Probably find enough money in their freezers to balance the budget. Better yet, start controlling the food they eat…let’s face it…alot of them look pudgy.

xaajjaax 08/01/2009 9:01am

I opposed it at “proposes greater FDA regulatory powers,” and it actually managed to get worse after that!
Power to quarantine? Is that swine flu scare still going on? I’ll pass on the “security,” I want my rights and freedom.

lolmao500 07/31/2009 1:02pm

And it’s in the New York Times. It passed.

Open congress says it didn’t pass…FAIL.

kypatriot1 07/31/2009 6:02am

Well, it looks like the House passed HR 2749. The following post is on The Hill’s Congress blog and is open for comments.

A step closer to safer food (Rep. Louise McIntosh Slaughter)
July 31st, 2009

Today’s House passage of H.R. 2749, the Food Safety Enhancement Act, marks a victory that every American should applaud. After all, we all eat, and we want confidence that we’re eating the safest food possible.
From spinach to peanut butter to cookie dough, the foods that we consume everyday make 76 million Americans sick every year. This piece of legislation will provide the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) with the authority and tools necessary to protect our food supply…

kevinmcc 07/27/2009 10:55am

“Warrantless”

That there is a key word for voting NO on any bill.

Moderated Comment

PoliticalStorm 07/21/2009 8:04am
Major corporations brought this country into its recession- those are the only ones who need regulating so that they don’t do it again. Their products spoke for themselves. I have no delusions about this bill not being a power grab by major food corporations to beat back the growing demand for organic and local produce. However, just like Wall Street’s actions spoke for them, let farms’ actions do so as well. If a farm or method of farming keeps turning out bad or dangerous products, it will be weeded out and either converted to better methods or dismantled. I for one will not be supporting this bill when it is a blatant misuse of power. Warrantless searches, indeed. This person will not be quarantined.
delio302003 07/17/2009 11:06am
in reply to Anonymous Jul 01, 2009 4:23am

They can’t have control. Give me liberty or give me death, but either way I’m free. This government has crossed the line. I’m calling for citizens’ grand juries in my county, Shelby County (TN), to rein in this government corruption. If these politicians want to blatantly violate their oath of office, then they deserve to be thrown out of office or in jail.

descreatchick 07/17/2009 10:06am

This is beyond frustrating. As if the major corporations are not hard enough on small farms, now the government is extending its long arms to smush those that remain. WTF. Since when did the FDA really care about small farms? Thats right, they don’t. What makes anyone think they have our best interests in mind?

helmofs 07/13/2009 3:01am

FDA, EPA, and FCC all need to be DISMANTLED, along with the FEDERAL RESERVE! This bill is just another HIDEOUS POWER GRAB by the insane Democrats (and any Republicans that support it)! A THOUSAND NOs to it!

ancientone 07/05/2009 8:53pm
in reply to HenryMorgan Jul 05, 2009 8:00pm

HenryMorgan: “most of the legislation lately is all connected in one way or another.”

I’ve noticed this myself – both sides are playing the same game just in different ways to achieve the same goal: Government will control every aspect of your life.

They call people like us “Conspiracy Theorists” and it’s crazy to think that the government wants to control every aspect of your lives…. But they do.

On a personal note: I just found out about Open Congress and glad I have. But I don’t know if government is going to actually read our comments and pay attention to what the American Citizens have to say.
If they do read our comments then we are put on a watch list.

HenryMorgan 07/05/2009 8:00pm

In Communist Amerika, You don’t eat food, Food eats you! Sorry. Anyway, has anyone noticed that most of the legislation lately is all connected in one way or another. The whole system is being restructured to completely remove any freedom we have left.

This nonsense has gone beyond wearing my patience thin and now just has me outraged. Why have we not removed the Obamanator and his regime from power? Every one of our officials need to be removed and investigated. We need to appoint their replacements now. Surely there have got to be competent, respectable, honest people with integrity we can trust to put forward… Crap, I just described everything that the political world goes against.