H.R.3200 - America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009

America’s Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 view all titles (5)

• Official: America’s Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Official: To provide affordable, quality health care for all Americans and reduce the growth in health care spending, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 as reported to house.

Displaying 301-330 of 2046 total comments.

katheria 08/14/2009 8:53pm

abaratar, you want someone that has been denied care
    i developed a heart condition about 6 years ago. A electrical problem in my heart.. it effects me every day….try waking up with a heart rate of 200… and functioning..try walking from your bedroom to the kitchen without passing out…i woke up one day out of the blue with this, and its known to show up like this,and they dont know what sets it off..i drove myself to the local hospital because i thought i was having a heart attack. i get there and go into the emergency room and was told before they would even see me i had to pay $150…this of course was after they had taken my blood pressure and heart rate. i saw it right there on the monitor…220 is not a normal heart rate. They refused to see me…..Today i have heart damage(cardiomyopathy),verified by a electrocardiogram, because i was not seen in those first few critical moments

katheria 08/14/2009 9:06pm

I call that being denied care! The hospital even told me to go to the community county run hospital. Why because i didnt have $150.

I couldnt drive, i had to call a friend to drive me 45 miles to the community hospital…i have had over 15 doctors tell me this could have been prevented by a simple med in a IV solution, that would have lowered my heart rate within 1 min. If I had been given the meds there is a 90% chance i would not have heart damage.I have struggled ever day since that day. I was a very outgoing and active person that ran over 4 miles a day and went hiking every weekend. I can not do that now. I am 29 and can never have children now, because they wanted $150 to treat me. I can not even walk up one set of stairs without having to stop 3-4 times now. My life is changed forever…ill never be able to do the things i enjoyed before. I have 2 9" stacks of medical records if you would like to see them.

abaratar 08/14/2009 9:29pm

That is tragic those people broke the law and should be shut down, what happened when you got to the community hospital? Did they treat you or was it to late?

katheria 08/14/2009 9:43pm

by the time my friend picked me up and drove me to the other hospital it was already to late the heart damage was done. They saw me very fast atleast within 15 mins they had me hooked up to a IV and were giving me the meds.
    I tried to get a lawyer but without money up front no one would even think about taking the case. The community county hospital SUXS honestly now. I have to get re certified every month which normally takes 6-7 hours, and normally 4-5 hours to pick up my meds. If i have a test its normally a 8-10 hour wait.. Its not fun..There is a surgery that can help with my problem, but the county hospital wont cover it. This happened of course when i had been laid off.I have a college degree, but no one wants to hire me, because I normally have so many doctor appointments. Im in a catch 22 situation now, lost my house because of this, and living off the charity of my mom now.

abaratar 08/14/2009 9:55pm

I have read of several instances were women with heart issues have been ignored or treated like they are making it up or told it is stress at hospitals, when women have in fact had heart attacks. Women not being taken seriously by doctors over heart issues has killed many individuals. When I was reading about this the part part that really stuck out was that women Doctors were less likely to take women complaining of heart issues serious then men I do not understand that.

Is the hospital that denied your care being forced to pay for you medical expenses now? ,I’m sure you could gave a damn about money after being robbed of your health but they should be held responsible for their inaction.

katheria 08/14/2009 10:08pm

after talking to so many lawyers, i honestly just gave up… they all wanted over $3k just to take a look at the case.
    This hospital has a bad rep i found out after researching them, but every lawsuit has been lost by anyone that tried to sue them, except for one case with a child. Seems like paperwork disappears, or they never treated that person.It was the closest to my house is why i went there.
    After six years i really dont care anymore, im sure you can understand that, trying to fight a hospital is just not worth it to me and would be way to much stress, which i am suppose to avoid at all costs.
    I just thank all the tax payers of the county i live in, it allows my condition to be monitored, and for me to be able to get my medications.

katheria 08/14/2009 10:16pm

I enjoy each day as much as i can and try to put the past behind me.Its all i can really do.
    I do agree with some parts of the bill, something does need to be done to control the costs of health care. My best friends daughter cut her leg on a glass bottle when she fell of her bike. They had insurance thank gosh, but i could not believe it when she showed the bill to me. The hospital (a different one) charged her insurance company over $7k for 18 stitches..Sharron said they were there for 45 minutes total. for 7k i think i would have stitched myself up LOL

abaratar 08/14/2009 10:19pm

My family has a history of heart problems, a few years ago I found myself in a clinic over what I thought was a back injury (I had recently moved a lot of heavy stuff)and I had a chest cold at the time, next thing you know I am getting xrays a MRI and an echo cardiogram, the whole time i was asking “how much does this cost, do I have to pay for each individual xray? is this necessary?” I just wanted a script for a good pain pill and a note to give to my boss. Their is a huge problem with how women are treated compared to men when it comes to heart issues.

joeyjj 08/19/2009 11:53am

Any example of an American not being able to see a doctor or get the treatment they need because of medical costs? Just google it.

I mean, the health insurance industry rewards stripping patients of plans covering potentially expensive treatments from patients as soon as they need it. It’s called “rescission”.

abaratar 08/19/2009 9:09pm

Joey, good articles what blue cross did is criminal, fortunately legal actions is being taken against them. I am glad that everyone got the treatment they needed in the end.

mqpoppell 08/14/2009 2:22pm

I would like to publicly thank Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida. My son had to have heart surgery and they saved me over $100,000. I would have happily paid it all over a number of years, if I had not had the insurance. My son’s doctor treated others who did not have coverage, so I know he would have been treated even if we did not have insurance. I do not know how he got paid, but they got treated even with little to no money. The problem with our system is that the Left has successful trained many of us to think health insurance is a right. It is not. If that makes me heartless, then rest assured my son has a healthy heart to make up for the lack of mine.

RNforthepeople 08/18/2009 2:28pm

My Aunt, who is bipolar, has no insurance, had to go without her meds before the pharmaceutical company who makes the meds, approved her request for subsidized, some money still required, medicine. And the only hospital that would take her during an episode was 3 hours away, and you wouldn’t put your dog their.

nwaprogrammer 08/21/2009 5:23am

That’s not true. I live in a small rural town and anyone who has needed it has gotten it. I have personally known people without a dime that has been treated. Our towns doctor even adjusts his rate based on your ability to pay.

aliceanna 08/13/2009 3:37pm

I don’t know where you are finding this idea that “anyone in America that wants health care receives health care.” I have been uninsured for 9 years. The only doctor’s visits I have had during those 9 years have been when I needed to go to an emergency room for an injury—bills that took me the following 6 months to pay off, and thank goodness I had a decent-paying job at the time (one that didn’t provide me with health insurance, even though I was working in the Dean’s office at Columbia University Medical Center), or I would have been in severe financial trouble—or, for a chronic illness, office visits for which my provider allowed me to skate for a very long time in paying off. My prescriptions that cost $100 a month? Out of pocket. Guess what I do when I can’t afford my medication? I take my chances on how bad my chronic illness will get if I go without the medication, because that is what is available to the uninsured in this country right now. …

aliceanna 08/13/2009 3:37pm

… I have needed an MRI for years to attempt to pinpoint the source and cause of debilitating migraine headaches. This is a test that I cannot get without paying at least $1000 out-of-pocket. So I have gone without the test, and without any medication to treat the headaches. I happen to have a family history of congenital brain defects, so I am taking a chance that I won’t one day collapse with a hemorrhage or an aneurysm or some other potentially fatal occurrence, simply because I have no health insurance.

If you live somewhere that you are getting excellent medical care anytime you want it with no money or insurance, I dearly wish you would share the secret, because I have seen no indication of it in the four states (Maryland, New York, Texas and California) in which I have lived since I ceased to be insured.

abaratar 08/13/2009 11:50pm

Aliceanna, what state are you in currently? I am suspicious of users that have been on hear for less then a a few hours because there is a guy here that gets a new screen name everyday but seriously if you are being honest I will help you get help. You do not have to suffer. What state are you in?

la1401 08/13/2009 5:15pm

ALICEANNA,

Since I graduated from College at the meager age of 25. I have paid for my own insurance. I worked at a just over minimum wage job, but I had Insurance. Maybe you should have paid some premiums and took care of yourself throughout those 9 years. It won’t have take you 6 months to pay off your medical bill.

suburb72022 08/13/2009 4:13pm

I don’t know what planet you are living on but your statement about anyone that needs health care gets it is incredibly false. I am a Medicaid case worker for DHS in my state and I can’t tell you how many times I have people come in and apply for help because they CANNOT be seen at the oncology clinic without insurance or the money up front to pay for it and are going to die without chemotherapy. Most of these same people do not qualify for any category of Medicaid either so they go without the treatment they need. I got an obituary in a thank you note from a lady once after her husband died because he could not be seen at his doctor and they were denied for Medicaid. I think a lot of time and energy needs to go into whatever bill is voted on but something needs to be done to help people in this country.

la1401 08/13/2009 5:09pm
    + 18

I have taken the time to read some of the comments and I’m truly amazed at them. I live in Louisiana and no one here is denied treatment. Now they might not be able to go to a specialist when they want to or see a doctor at a private office, but HEALTH CARE IS NOT DENIED. We have Charity Hospitals and if you go into the ER, anywhere, they have to treat you. The problem in America today are people that can’t provide for themselves, but want the exact same things as people that can provide for themselves. I make what I make, I pay for what I can afford and I don’t give a hoot what the Jones’ have or can afford. Maybe the government should place mandatory INDEPENDENCE classes in a bill. It will teach people how to provide for themselves and stop leeching off the government. Instead, they want to inform elderly people the various and sundry ways they can go about ending their life without costing anyone else money. WAKE UP AN PROVIDE FOR YOURSELF!!

NoMoney2FELONSamongUS 09/15/2009 6:03am

Health insurance is not a right.

true.

web search: FOODICARE

> health care

stop using liberalese

Instead use proper distinctions: health SERVICES

One’s duty to one’s self and one’s family is caring for one’s health (and family).

One MAY PURCHASE health services from others.

One MAY NOT enslave health service employees.

One who ‘thinks’ otherwise is patently mentally ill.

Filtered Comment [ show ]

Terrco 09/16/2009 2:12pm

FYI:
    1. God doesn’t have any “fellow man”.
    2. God said He who doesn’t work – doesn’t eat.
    3. He said if there is a person “TRULY in need” – help them.

I’d be the first to help the needy – NOT the lazy.
    The Facist dems continue to include skewed numbers which include the illegals, the young who typically don’t buy insurance anyway (invulnerable mentality), and those who prefer not to have health insurance due to religious beliefs, or those like myself, who choose alternative natural medicine.

Is there a health care problem in the US? Absolutely!
    Should we force insurance coverage on every living soul in America? Absolutely NOT.

OH, and yes, I’m a God fearing Christian.

Terrco 09/16/2009 2:29pm

ADDENDUM:
    Rep. Jack Kingston’s health care town hall meeting
    Camden, GA
    Monday, Sep 14, 2009
    “In that 45 million, they include 10.7 million who are eligible for Medicaid that aren’t on it, there are 9.3 million non-Americans who are living here illegally and are uninsured, 15.1 million who can afford it but choose not to pay for it,” Kingston said. “Now this is America where we value freedom, so should we mandate these 15.1 million people to purchase insurance or should we let them have freedom to choose to buy it or not?”

Filtered Comment [ show ]

Filtered Comment [ show ]

• Spam Comment

• Spam Comment

ltr08 10/06/2009 8:20am

I find it facinating that so many of the posts from the people at the front lines of Health Care are for the public option. it certainly makes sense to me…keep up the good work you do in the ER.

abaratar 10/18/2009 7:39pm

this bill does not have a public option, it simply forces everyone to buy insurance from a private company at triple the current cost.

OnlyYourEnemy 09/29/2009 5:11pm

I hope you never experience losing your job, or insurance, and must watch your children or loved ones suffer. What happens in your town in Louisiana does not reflect on the rest of the country.

Wake up and have compassion for your fellow Americans.