H.R.3404 - Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009

To amend the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act and the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary extension of certain unemployment benefits and the temporary availability of further additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (3)

• Official: To amend the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act and the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary extension of certain unemployment benefits and the temporary availability of further additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.

• JohnB 08/27/2009 7:25am

Patriots: you started this discussion about Kennedy when you posted a comment on him. Now that others have expressed their opinion you want Open Congress to stop the discussion? So much for freedom on expression. :)

Patriots 08/27/2009 7:27am

Flame bait is what the topic is about now John.

JohnB 08/27/2009 7:34am

ohionoeb: I find it amazing how this country over the past decades has given multi billions to other countries in aide, has also forgiven that same debt, yet when it comes to helping our own, it’s like pulling teeth. We’re told if we get more unemployemnt we’ll get lazy and not look for work. For these same people I would ask, you give away billions to help illegals or to bail out banks…doesn’t that make them lazy too?

Patriots 08/27/2009 7:35am

It’s kind of like if I went to your friends funeral and started yelling he was a no good woman abuser in the middle of the service.

JohnB 08/27/2009 7:40am

Patriots: If that’s what the person was…yes I would. You don’t honor an abuser..no matter what else they’ve done.

ronaand 08/27/2009 7:41am

it depends on if my friend was a no good women abuser or not

• Patriots 08/27/2009 7:26am

So… what the Executive Director of NELP, Christine Owens has to say about the death of Ted Kennedy just inflames peoples emotions on a board about unemployment? That seems to be somewhat contradictorily.

JohnB 08/27/2009 7:37am

Patriots: Flame bait? isn’t that what you did by mentioning Kennedy to begin with? Had you stayed on the topic of the board, none of this would have happened.

Patriots 08/27/2009 7:41am

“on topic” how many times have I heard that one over all this time? More than I can count.

Patriots 08/27/2009 7:55am

Now who would consider that to be flame bait ?

• ohionoeb 08/27/2009 7:29am
    This site is for Unemployment Bill 3404 ..can u 2 please take your differences else where .. Thank-you
    NoGoodOnesLeft 08/27/2009 11:09am

I agree. There is a Ted Kennedy page on which people can post comments about Ted Kennedy.

• Marcy 08/27/2009 7:52am

Patriots, JohnB…did you two not beat this to death last night? Just shut up about it already. Please, both of you be adult enough to put it behind us and just post about the bill. Be adult enough to ignore the pettiness and baiting that you both are doing now.

JohnB 08/27/2009 8:27am

Marcy, I’m trying to, already posted messages on unemployment and government spending today.

• Patriots 08/27/2009 7:52am

I’m getting really tired of listening to the same person with many different names here.

I have better things to do today.

The comment policy here is stated clear. We know what flame bait is.

Have a wonderful day.

• VLeichsenring 08/27/2009 8:08am

Flame bait is a message posted to a public Internet discussion group, such as a forum, newsgroup or mailing list, with the intent of provoking an angry response (a “flame”) or argument over a topic the “troll” (original poster provoking angry response) often has no real interest in, and finds humour, or entertainment in reactions.

• ohionoeb 08/27/2009 8:44am

The economy contracted by 3.9 percent during the latest recession, which started in December 2007, more than the 2.9 percent decline of 1981-1982.

Even the most optimistic member of the Fed’s policy-making Open Market Committee predicts growth of no more than 4.6 percent two years from now, in 2011, when unemployment will finally fall below 9 percent.

Bloomberg.com Obama Channeling Reagan Needs 5 Quarters of 7% GDP Growth Surge …

• ohionoeb 08/27/2009 8:54am

2011, when unemployment will finally fall below 9 percent.

Lets all hope there will be jobs before 2011..

I can’t wait that long ..I need a JOB now ..What about the 787 BILLION they passed this year in Feb. that was to create jobs ..Who’s pockets did that $$$ go in to ?

• BrokeInOhio 08/27/2009 9:45am

If we cannot talk about health insurance on this site, why are we allowed to talk about Ted Kennedy, which has NOTHING to do with unemployment.

ohionoeb 08/27/2009 9:57am

Brokeinohio,

Exactly..Neither 1 should be talk about on this (Unemployment site) Bill 3404

• spencir 08/27/2009 10:05am

WE need face the truth what if the congress not bass the bill H.R.3404 ???

what we will do??? and i hear THERE is no more EB if there somthng comeing than will be EUC

• BrokeInOhio 08/27/2009 10:07am

I am OUT of EB unlike the rest of you that still have a few weeks.. I am concerned. But I think they will do someting the week they get back… When are most pepole done with EB in 2 weeks? that is when they will get on the ball. Anyways, I froze 15 packs of HOT peppers stuffed with saugage today.. Getting ready for the long winter.

Melissa

• ohionoeb 08/27/2009 10:11am

This is my last week to claim..

Once again I will be behind on my Rent,All Utlities, for the month of Sept..

Tks Congress for going on Recess and forgetting about us again!!!!

• JohnB 08/27/2009 10:11am

If they don’t pass this bill, foreclosures and bankruptcies will sky rocket. I don’t think they have much of a choice.

JohnB 08/27/2009 10:20am

Just a thought on this, just because you and I see this coming, doesn’t mean the politician will. They live in their own little world. If it doesn’t affect them personally, they don’t really care.

GonzoFL 08/27/2009 1:50pm

John, I couldn’t agree more about congress and their own little world. They have no clue what it’s like in the real world. I would be willing to bet that less that 10% of the congress and the senate could tell you what a gallon of milk costs in their respective states. Congress can’t turn a blind eye to the unemployed in this country…..we are the 10,000 pound elephant in the room.

JohnB 08/27/2009 1:59pm

Years ago I heard a story about why Alaska Airlines served the best food of any airline. The CEO demanded that members of the Board of Directors, twice a month, eat the same food served on the flights. Soon after this was started, they changed their menu.
    I think if members of congress had to live like us, you would see alot more changes.

FLarlene 08/27/2009 10:29am

John, I know we are all at the end of our ropes so to speak. I believe this bill will pass without too much trouble, if you mean HR3404.

I just wish it were for 20 weeks and would include states with unemployment 7% or higher.

• BrokeInOhio 08/27/2009 10:12am

It kind of bothers me how much press Ted Kennedy is getting.. As far as I can remember he never really helped me in anyway, and he had alot of skeletons in his closet, but we all do… I am more concerned about the economy. yes he had a brain tumor, But that happens has I well know.

FLarlene 08/27/2009 10:23am

It bothers you because Ted Kennedy is getting a lot of press and he did not help you in any way?

Do you have any idea the bills he helped pass? Meals on wheels, the list is long long long.

I get it you dislike liberals, but liberals help the common man. Kennedy passed slews of legislation for people like US.

Bush on the other hand, was a free market kind of guy. Corporations became omnipotent, under 22 years of trickle down economics. If you vote for a letter behind a name, I feel sorry for you. Look at each person’s backround. That is what Google is for.

Kennedy did have the Chappaquidick tragedy that marred his reputation.

Bush, on the other hand, lied about WMD, started a war for profits.

I wish the people on this board would stop slamming politicans’ who ideas they have no idea about. It would make for a better informed electorate.