H.R.3404 - Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009

To amend the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act and the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary extension of certain unemployment benefits and the temporary availability of further additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (3)

• Official: To amend the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act and the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary extension of certain unemployment benefits and the temporary availability of further additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.

JohnB 08/27/2009 10:29am

I blame both parties for the problems we’re having. As far a Kennedy goes, you give him too much credit. He did not single handly pass those bills. The bills would have passed by the party with or without his vote. Chappaquidick, he’s compelely responsible for.
    The politicians are the one’s destroying this country, unfortunately most people don’t vote and if they do, they keep re-electing the same people. I always vote everyone out of office.

ohionoeb 08/28/2009 12:41am
    Re:I blame both parties for the problems we’re having

Exactly

JohnB 08/28/2009 4:16am

It it sad when people rant and rave about one party, and see no fault in their own. I lost respect for the democrats many years ago, and the republicans after they passed the bankruptcy protection act, medicare part D and their handleing of the SEC. A pox on both their houses.

FLarlene 08/28/2009 4:44am

John B, I am wondering why, if you lost faith in the Democrats, why, after untold Unemployment extensions, you choose to live on this social program instead of just saying NO to Unemployment Comp.

I am not saying the party is perfect; it is far from it.

But why be a hypocrite? If I hated both parties as much as you do, and it is your right to do so, I would return all the funds you received from this SOCIAL program and tough it out.

JohnB 08/28/2009 5:25am

Why would I return the money? I do more to support the local economy with it then the politicians do. The money was also taken from the company I worked for, money that should have gone into my paychecks over the years.

FLarlene 08/27/2009 10:27am

Broke in Ohio, sorry for the rant. But the medicare you are receiving for your daughter, God bless her, passed by Democrats. I hate political discussions on message boards, and did not mean to be rude.

All in all, Kennedy did a lot for the common man.

Peace.

• Marcy 08/27/2009 10:35am

ohionoeb, I doubt very much if they are forgetting about us. Like someone said a while back, this is a problem that is shoved in their faces by online blogs, newspapers and television stories, 24-7. They cannot afford to forget, even if it takes time most of us do not have for the bill to pass. After all, we still vote, right?

It just hurts that those of us who are stuck in this situation have lost control of our lives through no fault of our own.

ohionoeb 08/27/2009 11:02am
    RE: even if it takes time most of us do not have for the bill to pass.

But they were able to pass a extra 2 Billion for “Cash for Clunkers” in 3 HOURS before they recess..

I WON’T FORGET THIS IN 2010!!!

• NoGoodOnesLeft 08/27/2009 11:12am

4 more states qualify for S1647 than this bill so that bill will probably get more support from those states than this bill will.

• VLeichsenring 08/27/2009 12:09pm

California to lose its last major auto plant
    Toyota will shut down in March the joint venture it operated with General Motors in Fremont, eliminating 4,700 jobs. Sagging sales and GM’s bankruptcy are blamed.

• HopefromCA 08/27/2009 12:29pm

JohnB.
    If you don’t mind can you tell me if you are taking on an stock advisor or are you doing your own research trying to increase the funds in your 401k?
    Thanks in advance.

JohnB 08/27/2009 12:39pm

I do my own trading in my IRA. I don’t think you can do it in a 401k, you’re limited to whatever the plan offers. If you’re unemployed, I’d move your money to an IRA. In an IRA you have almost unlimited choices.

Serendipity 08/27/2009 7:01pm

JohnB,

First off, you should not solicit financial advice on this forum. If you wish to accept the liability that goes with it, start your own forum.
    Secondly, have you ever thought that your constant bashing of the very folks that MAY implement another extension just might have a negative affect on the outcome for you and more importantly OTHERS? What a shame that would be.
    It is amazing to me that you spend hours on this Forum posting nothing but negativity and hatred towards our elected officials, even those who supported legislation for the unemployment benefits you are eager to accept.

You need a find another source of ego gratification.

JohnB 08/27/2009 7:22pm

Serendipity: OH PLEASE, I never solicit financial advice, there is no liability in what I told HopeFromCalif. What I told her is PUBLIC knowledge. Please stop the paranoia, you’re sounding like Patriots.

Serendipity 08/27/2009 10:00pm

You are NOT a financial advisor. STOP giving financial advice on a public forum. Start your own website.

JohnB 08/27/2009 12:49pm

Trading within your IRA has good and bad parts. The good: you don’t have to report any of your trades, no matter how much you make or how long you hold a stock. It’s only reported as income if you withdraw it. You only report the withdrawal, not the trades.
    The bad: You can’t do any day trading in an IRA (buy and sell the same stock in the same day).
    You cannot deduct any losses. If you’re under 59 1/2 there’s the 10% penalty.

• WAstateVETERAN 08/27/2009 1:40pm

Does any body know when the recess is over? Is congress due back in September? What a vacation, maybe they will vote themselves another raise. (That’s sort of a bad joke.) I better go look for the info.

JohnB 08/27/2009 1:54pm

They come back Sept 7th

GonzoFL 08/27/2009 1:57pm

Congress drags it’s ass back to work(that’s a laugh) Sept 8th.

• WAstateVETERAN 08/27/2009 2:01pm

Hey, anybody know what happened to Weller? The swindler, anti-people, (rip America off) guy that kept making an Ass out of himself during the first votes for UI extensions (back when Gdubya was still in office) that married the drug dealers daughter, and owns the huge properties in, what is it Costa Rica)?
    I think the rat is finally out of the white house. It’s interesting and humorous to go to the top right of this page and type “Weller” into the search block. Remember back then we all said that guy was going to get ousted!!! Look at the captions there. That guy’s approval rating must be minus 150% !

MBArry47 08/27/2009 2:06pm

Weller What a slime. He gave me the creeps in my sleep!

• MBArry47 08/27/2009 2:02pm

John B… Chill… I am saying this as an unemployed independent voter.

JohnB 08/27/2009 2:21pm

MBArry47, are you nancym? I don’t see where I responded to your post.

• JohnB 08/27/2009 2:02pm

nancym, you want to know why everyone pays high interest rates on their credit cards, you have the democrats to thank for that:

nancym 08/28/2009 5:11am

We have everybody in Congress AND the individual states to thank for that. And the credit reform bill that will go into effect Feb 22 has a few good things in it, but is really quite anemic in terms of real reform.

• WAstateVETERAN 08/27/2009 2:11pm

I meant to say I think that rat is finally off of capital hill.
    Any way, we all said on here that his so called “career” there would be short lived after the ridiculous stand he tried to make against ANY extension of the first UI extension.
    CAN any one IMAGINE where this country would BE NOW? If that first extension wasn’t passed? I mean, sh-t fire and save the matches!!!!!!!
    The back of America would have been broken clean by now.
    “The greatest depression” Actually America may have just got by, by the skin of our teeth. Just ponder that.
    With out any extensions…………………………doom & gloom…..ugly, wouldn’t it be?

• Patriots 08/27/2009 2:51pm

Funny how active this board suddenly became. Funny when you chose to become active here again John.

What happened to that other site that all the unemployed here were supposed to go to to find friends ?

Let us get on with the discussion of unemployment benefits.

JohnB 08/27/2009 3:25pm

Patriots, I come here whenever I feel like it, there’s no conspiracy here, so you can stop the paranoia.
    Do you want to talk about the other board or about unemployment, make up your mind. :)

Patriots 08/27/2009 3:29pm

You really are kind of funny john, but just kind of.

What was that web address?

• VET2 08/27/2009 3:00pm

I find that funny to Patriots.